NFL 2011 Conference Championship Round

Yates looked good as long as he kept the ball down. His miscues were all him trying to go for the long bomb and win the game with one throw. His long bombs all floated way too long and gave the DBs too much time to come back to the ball. Rookie mistakes or bad play calls by Kubiak? Maybe a little of both. We've been a little suspicious of Kube's play-calling for a few years now.

Jacoby Jones needs to go. He's been a liability all year, with only a few flashes of competence. I sincerely hope GM Rick Smith is looking hard at some WR talent for the draft, because we are THIN. We also need to replace Kareem Jackson IMO, or bump him down to backup. He is not panning out. He rarely gets his head around to see the ball, so he gets burned way too much. He did fair against Boldin last game, but still gave up some plays that could have been stopped if he was playing the ball instead of the receiver.

Yes the Pats D is pretty poor and lets up allot of yardage but are only 15th in points allowed per game (21.4 vs Ravens 16.6). Allot of that is due to getting lots of turnovers.

I wasn't able to watch the game closely but didn't the Ravens have zero sacks on Yates? I don't think they can beat Brady without being able to put pressure on him. If Brady doesn't get knocked around he plays well, and when he plays well the team usually wins.

No matter what happens it should be a fun game to watch b/c the two teams are so different in play style.

Kush15 wrote:

97.5, The Fanatic in Philadelphia (you would have thought they would name it "The Phanatic") had some host stating that out of Eli Manning, Michael Vick, and Alex Smith, that Alex Smith would be the guy he would rather have on his team.

Really? OK, sure, Alex Smith has the potential to do what he did this year again next year. He also has the potential to revert back to what he was the last 6 years. Don't get me wrong, I think Alex Smith has had the raw deal with 7 different offensive coordinators during his career, but can we be a little more realistic? There's only 3 truly Elite QB in the NFL: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees. There's guys that are trying to knock on that doorstep: Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Eli Manning (winning #2 would put him at the doorstep, IMO). Alex Smith is YEARS away from either one of those groups. Can he get there, sure, I won't discount that, but I don't see how anyone can put him there now.

With that said, I'm not counting him out of beating the Giants this weekend, it will be a really good game.

Maybe they're thinking of all the times Eli has thrown his team out of games, without the excuse of the poor coaching that Alex can point to. One of my best friends is a lifetime Giants fan that grew up in NY. He goes from loving to hating Eli and back and forth from week to week for years now.

I'm not 100% sold on Alex still myself because I've seen a lot of games these last few years that he gave away. That's always been my complaint, that he loses more games with his bad throws than he wins with good throws. This year has been a complete 180 for him. Except for the Dallas game where he couldn't make another first down to hold off the Cowboys rally, he's played exceptionally well. But then last week was Montana-esque. I hope that's the real Alex Smith. Guess we'll find out.

/sigh..

I've just resigned myself to another Giants Super Bowl.. I will watch.. and PieFace will hoist another trophy.. a small part of me will die inside.. that I will be old and grey and a bitter resentful Eagles fan wondering what that must feel like as a fan.

I will go back to my offseason of wondering how on earth an offensive line coach is our defensive coordinator.. for ANOTHER year...

EvilDead wrote:

On the flip side the Ravens D has not really been tested. ...

A good point. The Ravens sked this year was Steelers, Titans, Rams, Jets, Texans, Jags (a loss!), Cards, Steelers, Seahawks, Bengals, Niners (a win), Browns, Colts, Chargers, Browns and Bengals. Not a lot of offensive juggernauts in the bunch.

Two late-season things would concern me if I'm a Ravens fan: They gave up 373 yards at home to Andy Dalton on Nov. 20, then got torched by Philip Douchenozzle (270 yards on 17 completions) on Dec. 18 in S.D.

Also: Who is that old man wearing Ed Reed's uni?

TheGameguru wrote:

/sigh..

I've just resigned myself to another Giants Super Bowl.. I will watch.. and PieFace will hoist another trophy.. a small part of me will die inside.. that I will be old and grey and a bitter resentful Eagles fan wondering what that must feel like as a fan.

I will go back to my offseason of wondering how on earth an offensive line coach is our defensive coordinator.. for ANOTHER year...

I still think Spags will sign with the Eagles and resume command..................unless PF is taking a job somewhere else, in which the Giants would happily welcome Spags back with open arms! I have my money on Vick and the Eagles having a bounce back year next season. It pains me to say it, but I am sure I am going to witness an Eagles Super Bowl at some point in the near future.

bighoppa wrote:

Yates looked good as long as he kept the ball down.

28.8 He made Tebow look impressive.

Jayhawker wrote:
bighoppa wrote:

Yates looked good as long as he kept the ball down.

28.8 He made Tebow look impressive.

But far above tebow in DVOA.

I pretty much agree with Kush's assessment of the game. Also, while 3 INTs is very bad, I can't stop thinking that if Jacoby Jones either caught or declined to touch that football, Houston would have won. The margin of victory was the 7 points that play handed them. Now figure that the Texans would have done something with that extra possession, and of nothing else kept the football out of Baltimore's hands for a bit. Played the field position game...hey, possibly even put some more points on the board!

It seems to me that momentum is less of a big deal in the NFL than in college, but it's still a big deal. Anyway, the Texans need to get rid of Jones, possibly Kareem Jackson, avoid spending all the money in the world on Mario Williams, and get a WR or two. I also wouldn't mind getting another good corner if one is available. One of my friends who has had season tickets for the life of the franchise (just him and his dad - pretty cool imho) thinks this draft should be the first one where the Texans spend more picks building depth (specifically O-line) than addressing immediate needs.

Disappointed as hell, but excited about the future. This year's draft cannot get here soon enough!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I pretty much agree with Kush's assessment of the game.

+1

Caldwell out in Indy.

Related: Sun rises in east, water wet, Tebow can't throw, etc.

Enix wrote:

Caldwell out in Indy.

IMAGE(http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2509/caldwellap.jpg)

Fedaykin98 wrote:

It seems to me that momentum is less of a big deal in the NFL than in college, but it's still a big deal.

There are some key moments even early in the game though. If a team goes for a 4th down instead of kicking a FG, but doesn't get it, that goose-egg on the scoreboard can get in their heads for the rest of the half.

Or a big turnover that leads to an easy score can definitely deflate the other side for a while, and can be tough to recover from.

Was pretty surprised that the Saints came back after their first quarter Saturday. But then momentum just went back and forth in the 4th quarter.

So... I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I pretty much agree with Kush's assessment of the game. Also, while 3 INTs is very bad, I can't stop thinking that if Jacoby Jones either caught or declined to touch that football, Houston would have won. The margin of victory was the 7 points that play handed them. Now figure that the Texans would have done something with that extra possession, and of nothing else kept the football out of Baltimore's hands for a bit. Played the field position game...hey, possibly even put some more points on the board!

It seems to me that momentum is less of a big deal in the NFL than in college, but it's still a big deal. Anyway, the Texans need to get rid of Jones, possibly Kareem Jackson, avoid spending all the money in the world on Mario Williams, and get a WR or two. I also wouldn't mind getting another good corner if one is available. One of my friends who has had season tickets for the life of the franchise (just him and his dad - pretty cool imho) thinks this draft should be the first one where the Texans spend more picks building depth (specifically O-line) than addressing immediate needs.

Disappointed as hell, but excited about the future. This year's draft cannot get here soon enough!

I thought Houston outplayed Baltimore in many ways.. and almost pulled it off... turnovers early and Yates mental mistakes ended up dooming them.. when you are a young team that has little playoff experience you basically need to play an almost perfect game to win on the road.

Agreed, Guru.

TheGameguru wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

I pretty much agree with Kush's assessment of the game. Also, while 3 INTs is very bad, I can't stop thinking that if Jacoby Jones either caught or declined to touch that football, Houston would have won. The margin of victory was the 7 points that play handed them. Now figure that the Texans would have done something with that extra possession, and of nothing else kept the football out of Baltimore's hands for a bit. Played the field position game...hey, possibly even put some more points on the board!

It seems to me that momentum is less of a big deal in the NFL than in college, but it's still a big deal. Anyway, the Texans need to get rid of Jones, possibly Kareem Jackson, avoid spending all the money in the world on Mario Williams, and get a WR or two. I also wouldn't mind getting another good corner if one is available. One of my friends who has had season tickets for the life of the franchise (just him and his dad - pretty cool imho) thinks this draft should be the first one where the Texans spend more picks building depth (specifically O-line) than addressing immediate needs.

Disappointed as hell, but excited about the future. This year's draft cannot get here soon enough!

I thought Houston outplayed Baltimore in many ways.. and almost pulled it off... turnovers early and Yates mental mistakes ended up dooming them.. when you are a young team that has little playoff experience you basically need to play an almost perfect game to win on the road.

I wonder if that is a bit too much of a simplification though. Bear with me.

I sort of get the impression that once the Ravens go up by double digits on a team that they don't think are explosive enough to beat the defense, Cam Cameron becomes more conservative than the tea party and simply doesn't let the offense do anything that might result in a turnover. Houston sort of knew this was going to happen and just about run blitzed every play.

I suspect that the game would have been a lot more fluid on both sides of the ball had the game been closer at the half.

I guess we'll never know though. In the meantime:

IMAGE(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/399441_10150534801263988_602973987_8745340_2140816788_n.jpg)

Ray Ray comin, yo.

Paleocon wrote:

I sort of get the impression that once the Ravens go up by double digits on a team that they don't think are explosive enough to beat the defense, Cam Cameron becomes more conservative than the tea party and simply doesn't let the offense do anything that might result in a turnover. Houston sort of knew this was going to happen and just about run blitzed every play.

*high five*

Fire that bastard.

How could the game have been closer at the half? It was 17-13.

(Cue obvious "It could have been four points closer" answer. )

On Ravens v Houston, you don't win games or even almost win games by making a bunch of stupid mistakes. I watch the Ravens soundly lose games by doing this every year, and they almost did it again at Houston. If they lose ugly, then call it what it is instead of making excuses.

Anyway, for next week:

Ravens vs Pats: I love my Ravens. I have loved them since Art Modell shanked Cleveland in the back. However, if the team that played last week shows up, with their inconsistent offense with its' abominable run blocking and porous line, then the game's already over. However, if they show up, run block for Ray Ray and hustle on the Defense, then we'll have an outstanding game for the D to shine in. Here's hoping it's the latter.

Niners vs G-Men: When I was a young lad, the first football game I ever saw was the 55-10 blowout Super Bowl against Denver. I've held a special place for them ever since, and would dearly love to see them make it back to the big game, even if only so they could lose to my Ravens.

Rat Boy wrote:
Enix wrote:

Caldwell out in Indy.

IMAGE(http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2509/caldwellap.jpg)

I am going to miss that.

Excuses like what, J? Is there anyone not blaming the loss on your "stupid mistakes"?

Patriots
Giants

I'll be rooting for SF this weekend, but I think the Giants and Patriots will be having a 2007 rematch... and this time, there won't be any helmet catch.

*Legion* wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:
Enix wrote:

Caldwell out in Indy.

IMAGE(http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2509/caldwellap.jpg)

I am going to miss that.

Just go outside and look at one of these:

IMAGE(http://www.ebusinessprofiles.net/directory/florida/img/tree2.jpg)

Can you honestly tell the difference?

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
*Legion* wrote:
Rat Boy wrote:
Enix wrote:

Caldwell out in Indy.

IMAGE(http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2509/caldwellap.jpg)

I am going to miss that.

Just go outside and look at one of these:

IMAGE(http://www.ebusinessprofiles.net/directory/florida/img/tree2.jpg)

Can you honestly tell the difference?

The stump seems to answer more questions. If you put just a little thought into it, its also more useful

AnimeJ wrote:

Niners vs G-Men: When I was a young lad, the first football game I ever saw was the 55-10 blowout Super Bowl against Denver. I've held a special place for them ever since, and would dearly love to see them make it back to the big game, even if only so they could lose to my Ravens. ;)

That's funny because that is my first experience with football and the 49ers myself. That began my 49er fandom and worship at the alter of Montana and later Young. Of course they would destroy the Ravens in the SB..

Dr.Ghastly wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Niners vs G-Men: When I was a young lad, the first football game I ever saw was the 55-10 blowout Super Bowl against Denver. I've held a special place for them ever since, and would dearly love to see them make it back to the big game, even if only so they could lose to my Ravens. ;)

That's funny because that is my first experience with football and the 49ers myself. That began my 49er fandom and worship at the alter of Montana and later Young. Of course they would destroy the Ravens in the SB.. :P

Also funny, my first football experience was watching the 49ers with my father....................as our New York Giants kicked their way into Super Bowl XXV, 15-13. I remember not being able to grasp the concept of 4 downs to make 10 yards, but teams will punt on 4th. So young. So naive.

Interesting stats:

49ers lead overall series (18-17)
49ers lead playoff series (4-3)
Coughlin is (4-1) vs the 49ers, (3-1) as a Giants head coach
NY Giants are (4-0) in NFC Championship games
Last NY Giants road loss: January 7th, 2007 vs Philadelphia
NY Giants have won 5 concecutive playoff games on the road, including Super Bowl XLII

Kush15 wrote:

NY Giants have won 5 concecutive playoff games on the road, including Super Bowl XLII

Stretching that a bit to call it a road game. It was a road game for the Pats too.

I hate to say it, but my first memory of football was the incredibly lucky Johnny Unitas pass off of Hinton and Renfro and finally to Mackey for the 75 yard score in Superbowl V.

Crap I'm old.

garion333 wrote:
Kush15 wrote:

NY Giants have won 5 concecutive playoff games on the road, including Super Bowl XLII

Stretching that a bit to call it a road game. It was a road game for the Pats too.

Yes, but it wasn't exactly a home game either. But we can go with 4 road playoff games. It's been a while since they lost one.

Kush15 wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Kush15 wrote:

NY Giants have won 5 concecutive playoff games on the road, including Super Bowl XLII

Stretching that a bit to call it a road game. It was a road game for the Pats too.

Yes, but it wasn't exactly a home game either. But we can go with 4 road playoff games. It's been a while since they lost one.

Psha. 4 games. If it were FIVE games then we'd have a story.