Future of THQ is in question...

ClockworkHouse wrote:
According to an interview in VentureBeat, Crytek is not interested in Darksiders and has set Crytek USA (formerly Vigil Games) to work on other projects.

Scratched wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder what happens to the right to sell THQ games that don't get bought. I'm thinking of how the System Shock series games are in limbo owned by a bank, just sitting around being useless.

I believe there is to be another auction soon that's is to sell off the remaining stray IPs. I am keeping my eye on Homeworld. I am interested to see where it lands.

THQ looking to sell the rest of their IP through May. They've bundled it into six groups, it seems. Darksiders, Homeworld, Red Faction and MX are their own bids, and then a bunch of other IP are bundled into two separate items to bid on.

Which means they are considered so worthless they're only valuable as a group, and probably in hopes that one or two interesting IP will sell the rest.

ccesarano wrote:
Which means they are considered so worthless they're only valuable as a group, and probably in hopes that one or two interesting IP will sell the rest.

All I hope is that Supreme Commander, You Don't Know Jack, and Double Fine's stuff lands back with their original developers.

ccesarano wrote:
THQ looking to sell the rest of their IP through May. They've bundled it into six groups, it seems. Darksiders, Homeworld, Red Faction and MX are their own bids, and then a bunch of other IP are bundled into two separate items to bid on.

Which means they are considered so worthless they're only valuable as a group, and probably in hopes that one or two interesting IP will sell the rest.

Kind of like a humble bundle. Kind of like THQ tried with the games themselves.

shoptroll wrote:
ccesarano wrote:
Which means they are considered so worthless they're only valuable as a group, and probably in hopes that one or two interesting IP will sell the rest.

All I hope is that Supreme Commander, You Don't Know Jack, and Double Fine's stuff lands back with their original developers.

The issue is that all of those IPs are in one big bucket. I would half expect a larger company to come in and pick up the bundles for a song.

DSGamer wrote:
ccesarano wrote:
THQ looking to sell the rest of their IP through May. They've bundled it into six groups, it seems. Darksiders, Homeworld, Red Faction and MX are their own bids, and then a bunch of other IP are bundled into two separate items to bid on.

Which means they are considered so worthless they're only valuable as a group, and probably in hopes that one or two interesting IP will sell the rest.

Kind of like a humble bundle. Kind of like THQ tried with the games themselves. :(

It would be interesting if the DF guys did like a kickstarter or humble bundle like thing to raise money for the purchase of that big bundle of IPs, get what is left of GPG to throw some stuff in, etc. etc.

My one question is why was nothing (not even a digital release of the already existing games) ever done with Homeworld if they feel its a strong enough franchise to sell on its own?

mrtomaytohead wrote:
My one question is why was nothing (not even a digital release of the already existing games) ever done with Homeworld if they feel its a strong enough franchise to sell on its own?

Probably didn't have the resources to update the game to modern systems and the cost of that very well could have outweighed the profits.

Probably because you need to support what you release.

Some good news: Crytek USA (basically new Vigil) will be bidding on Darksiders when the intellectual property is up for auction.

Given that Crytek has repeatedly saying they're going to all free-to-play after Homefront 2, I'm curious what their plans are for Darksiders. Either they're backing away from that plan, they've figured out how to make free-to-play single-player actually work or we have a gods awful Darksiders multiplayer title coming.

Well, the developers did say they wanted Darksiders 3 to be 4-player co-op. Don't know how that would translate to Free-to-Play.

ccesarano wrote:
Well, the developers did say they wanted Darksiders 3 to be 4-player co-op. Don't know how that would translate to Free-to-Play.

Buy the ability to group up with the 3rd and 4th player, as well as buying 3 of the 4 in game characters, which you have to do before you can co-op with anyone using those characters. Don't forget buying hats, skins, outfits, weapons, armor, color effects, inventory space, and more!... So basically you start as an unarmed, naked rider of the apocalypse. I'm sure it'll make perfect sense.

This would also ensure I never give the game even a glance. Mostly the part about the co-op characters. I can ignore skins and stupid overpriced hats.

ccesarano wrote:
Well, the developers did say they wanted Darksiders 3 to be 4-player co-op. Don't know how that would translate to Free-to-Play.

Stylez and I have been playing a lot of Warframe which is a 4-player co-op only free-to-play game that's surprisingly good. Thing is though, it basically has no story which is a concern for Darksiders.

I looked up Warframe, that has quite the potential for awesomeness.
yay it's on Steam!

It was just announced that Gearbox Software acquired the rights to Homeworld. Well, there goes that dream. There are a number of big publishers I would trust with that IP before Gearbox.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
There are a number of big publishers I would trust with that IP before Gearbox.

After the Colonial Marines fiasco, I can't blame you. I even tend to agree, even though I'm a big fan of the Borderlands games.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
It was just announced that Gearbox Software acquired the rights to Homeworld. Well, there goes that dream. There are a number of big publishers I would trust with that IP before Gearbox.

What, you aren't excited about Duke Nukem: Borderworlds?

"Nice Moon, Bitchtits" - Randy Pitchford.

Sounds like gamers are getting a monkey's paw kind of wish fulfillment: There will be a Homeworld 3, and it'll be a space marine FPS.

MeatMan wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:
There are a number of big publishers I would trust with that IP before Gearbox.

After the Colonial Marines fiasco, I can't blame you. I even tend to agree, even though I'm a big fan of the Borderlands games.

I actually like the Borderlands games a lot too, horrendously unoriginal writing aside. But yeah, between Duke Nukem Forever (which I know they didn't make most of but still put their name on) and the Aliens scandal, plus the fact that this game is several miles outside of any wheelhouse they still have a foot in, I'm not confident. I'd love for them to either prove me wrong or at least license this property out to someone with experience. On the plus side, they said one of their first goals is to get the original two games available again digitally. Put those on GOG and here's my money guys.

They have vehicle experience so maybe we'll get a Homeworld:Privateer. Which come to think of it, may not be too bad.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
n the plus side, they said one of their first goals is to get the original two games available again digitally. Put those on GOG and here's my money guys.

If that and the expansion for the first are the only things that ever come of this, than I'm fine with that. I never paid single penny for anything with the Homeworld name on it, and played both 1 & 2. Technically, I still own the first legitimately, since a software rep gave it to me. I even still have the manual and quick reference card.

fangblackbone wrote:
They have vehicle experience

All the vehicles in Borderlands felt very much like the default unreal engine vehicles.

Gearbox getting Homeworld puts any further games into territory where they've got to prove it's a good game to me before I get excited. It's just too far out of their area of expertise, and that's before their releases of the last few years.

edit: I love how everywhere on the internet I look is pessimistic about Gearbox working on this. That's assuming they don't just outsource it.

So Nordic Games also picked up a bunch of other properties including Red Faction, MX vs. ATV, Destroy All Humans and Darksiders, beating Crytek to it. That's interesting. Nordic Games is a relatively new company with a mixed track record to put it mildly, but they seem to be scrappy and eager to make their mark. Could be interesting. And man, they paid less than $5M for all that stuff.

Doesn't Remedy publish through Nordic?

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
Nordic Games is a relatively new company with a mixed track record to put it mildly, but they seem to be scrappy and eager to make their mark.

What is their track record?

I'm trying to load their site right now, but it would appear that more people had the same reaction to the news than their servers were ready for.

Bummer about Homeworld. I'd love something like H2, but where the computer doesn't cheat.

misplacedbravado wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:
Nordic Games is a relatively new company with a mixed track record to put it mildly, but they seem to be scrappy and eager to make their mark.

What is their track record?

I'm trying to load their site right now, but it would appear that more people had the same reaction to the news than their servers were ready for.

According to Wikipedia, they used to be JoWood Productions. I read through their release list and...well... R.I.P. Darksiders.