XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Strategy Game - Developed by Firaxis

farley3k wrote:
Tach wrote:
farley3k wrote:

As someone who hasn't played yet, why is it "M"? I will let my kids (6 and 4) watch me play most games and from the videos I have seen this isn't overly gory. Is it? Is there stuff I should be careful about letting them see?

Also this gives an idea of the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz5eP...

The chrysallid attack animation (at about 1:00) is fairly gruesome.

Yeah that is a bit more than I would like.

I, too, would've liked to play with the kiddo sitting next to me, but the gore and language are too over the top.

I appreciate it when developers have toggles for excessive things like gore. You rarely - if ever - see a language toggle, but it would nice if there was something like that, too.

I know this sounds like a total old man (my 25 year old self is mocking my current self as I type this), but I'm not sure I understand the logic in throwing in the swearing like that - is it more desirable from a sales perspective to have a M rating over a T rating?

Mr Crinkle wrote:

This game is truly awesome, but I am going insane from the amount of "RNG screw" going on. I just missed a 99% shot and then immediately missed a 98% shot with the next guy. Then I missed a 65% shot on the same stupid alien. For those not wanting to fire up their calculator, that sequence of events carried a .00007 probability. I demand to see combat source code and the RNG algorithm/seeding!

I'm kind of curious about that as well. My 65% shots in particular seem to only hit about 1/3 of the time. I'm wondering if it's not displaying the base shot difficulty, which is then multiplied by your soldier's aim.

So I'm refusing to play anything but Classic Ironman. I am having an absolute blast. That said, the XCOM project fell apart in 3 hours. One thing I noticed way too late, is that when you place a satellite above a country (at least in Classic), that's when they start donating money to the XCOM project. So satellites=income.

Also, Certis said he liked the controller interface more because of the shortcut key to overwatch on the Y button. Well just FYI, you can shortcut most infantry commands to individual keys. For example the default key for overwatch is well...Y.

Good luck, Commander.

One of the devs mentioned they wondered about the swearing, but IIRC that not to have it would be incongruous. it's a game where people get turned inside out by aliens and people panic and shoot their friends.

Woohoo! My preorder seems to have shipped a day early. I only have to wait until this evening, not tomorrow!

Tach wrote:
talsworthy wrote:

My favourite tip from a friend, medics make them a distinctive colour like red - makes it much easier to spot them on the battle field

Doesn't everyone color code the armors of their troops?

For me:

Red: Heavy
White: Support
Yellow: Assault
Green: Sniper

Make it to captain and you get to put on a helmet!

lol i only color my sniper and he's always green

kazooka wrote:
Mr Crinkle wrote:

This game is truly awesome, but I am going insane from the amount of "RNG screw" going on. I just missed a 99% shot and then immediately missed a 98% shot with the next guy. Then I missed a 65% shot on the same stupid alien. For those not wanting to fire up their calculator, that sequence of events carried a .00007 probability. I demand to see combat source code and the RNG algorithm/seeding!

I'm kind of curious about that as well. My 65% shots in particular seem to only hit about 1/3 of the time. I'm wondering if it's not displaying the base shot difficulty, which is then multiplied by your soldier's aim.

Trust me, the RNG is good. It's not "screwing" up. It's not trying to adjust it's rolls based on history.

I'm surprised no one is in the Vent channel, talking about how they killed their entire squad off.

Some of us are still at work I played the first 4 missions last night before it occurred to me to save, and I'm glad I turned on autosave after that because it allowed me to experiment until I got a hang of the way missions flow. First failed experiment: spread the team all over the map looking for the objective. That approach lost me 3 of my 4 soldiers in about two turns. I've also concluded that partial cover is the equivalent of placing a soldier in the middle of an open field in UFO Defense--it provides a place to stand, but the defensive bonus is minimal. Finally, I've learned to pay close attention to burning things, and to get the hell away from them after about 2 turns. My next play through will probably be Ironman, but I'm glad that I left that option unchecked for my first campaign.

Hey, so is this game too "Graphics heavy"? I'm running a macbook(Windows with bootcamp) with an intel HD3000 graphics card and wondering if it will run fine or if I should look at an Xbox...

Tkyl wrote:
kazooka wrote:
Mr Crinkle wrote:

This game is truly awesome, but I am going insane from the amount of "RNG screw" going on. I just missed a 99% shot and then immediately missed a 98% shot with the next guy. Then I missed a 65% shot on the same stupid alien. For those not wanting to fire up their calculator, that sequence of events carried a .00007 probability. I demand to see combat source code and the RNG algorithm/seeding!

I'm kind of curious about that as well. My 65% shots in particular seem to only hit about 1/3 of the time. I'm wondering if it's not displaying the base shot difficulty, which is then multiplied by your soldier's aim.

Trust me, the RNG is good. It's not "screwing" up. It's not trying to adjust it's rolls based on history.

I'm curious about this too. Is each attack discretely calculated via RNG for the to-hit result, at the time of the attack? I was playing earlier today and missed a 75% chance-to-hit attack against a Thin Man hiding around a corner. Other events transpired, chaos ensued, so I reloaded. First thing I did was try that attack again (75% chance), and I missed again.

Hmm.

So as an experiment, I kept reloading and trying that attack. 75% chance, 10 attempts, 10 misses. So either the to-hit result was calculated somehow before I ever moved that soldier and tried that attack the first time, or I actually had an RNG generate 10 misses in a row. Which is slightly less than a 1 in a million chance. Seems like something else is going on there.

Also, I don't know how far others have gotten but it seems like the failure of the XCOM project due to countries leaving is an inevitability. In my current game France just left the project. Despite having a satellite in orbit above France, no abductions, no detected UFOs, no terror missions, no Council missions, and no requests from France for assistance. There was literally NOTHING I'm aware of that I could have done to reduce the panic level in France and prevent them from leaving.

[quote=Boudreaux][quote=Tkyl][quote=kazooka]

Mr Crinkle wrote:

In my current game France just left the project. Despite having a satellite in orbit above France, no abductions, no detected UFOs, no terror missions, no Council missions, and no requests from France for assistance. There was literally NOTHING I'm aware of that I could have done to reduce the panic level in France and prevent them from leaving.

As far as I can tell on classic, if a mission fails in one country, all the panic levels of the all the countries on the continent go up.
So in my loss, Brazil and Argentina left early. Then I had to choose an abduction in Japan, UK and some other place. I chose Japan and lost. After that Japan, China, India, UK, Germany and France all panicked. So adjacent countries gain panic too.

Mex wrote:

Hey, so is this game too "Graphics heavy"? I'm running a macbook(Windows with bootcamp) with an intel HD3000 graphics card and wondering if it will run fine or if I should look at an Xbox...

My current rig is an AMD 3200 X2 with an 8800 GTS (I think with ~300 MB video memory) and I get 30+ FPS at 1920x1080 with medium settings. I recall my MacBook with the 330M giving about half the framerate of my desktop with the 8800 in it, and the HD3000 looks to get about half the framerate of the 330M, according to AnandTech. So I'm guessing the game will be playable, but you may have to run at 1152x864 or some similarly low resolution. Why not download the demo and give it a try?

Boudreaux wrote:

Also, I don't know how far others have gotten but it seems like the failure of the XCOM project due to countries leaving is an inevitability. In my current game France just left the project. Despite having a satellite in orbit above France, no abductions, no detected UFOs, no terror missions, no Council missions, and no requests from France for assistance. There was literally NOTHING I'm aware of that I could have done to reduce the panic level in France and prevent them from leaving.

At higher difficulty levels, it is almost guaranteed that countries will leave the XCOM project. However, even if there game doesn't give you any direct way to lower panic (through missions) you can always launch a satellite to lower the countries panic. The problem is, you usually always need more satellites than what you have.

Boudreaux wrote:

So as an experiment, I kept reloading and trying that attack. 75% chance, 10 attempts, 10 misses. So either the to-hit result was calculated somehow before I ever moved that soldier and tried that attack the first time, or I actually had an RNG generate 10 misses in a row. Which is slightly less than a 1 in a million chance. Seems like something else is going on there.

Could just be something to do with the way they seed their RNG.

So France had no panic level or a negligible one? Also are on you PC? Very weird about the 75%.

muttonchop wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

So as an experiment, I kept reloading and trying that attack. 75% chance, 10 attempts, 10 misses. So either the to-hit result was calculated somehow before I ever moved that soldier and tried that attack the first time, or I actually had an RNG generate 10 misses in a row. Which is slightly less than a 1 in a million chance. Seems like something else is going on there.

Could just be something to do with the way they seed their RNG.

Were you reloading the game before each shot? Or was it all from one session?

1Dgaf wrote:

So France had no panic level or a negligible one?

A country won't leave the XCOM project unless they are at maximum panic OR you fail a Terror mission in their country.

Boudreaux wrote:
Tkyl wrote:
kazooka wrote:
Mr Crinkle wrote:

This game is truly awesome, but I am going insane from the amount of "RNG screw" going on. I just missed a 99% shot and then immediately missed a 98% shot with the next guy. Then I missed a 65% shot on the same stupid alien. For those not wanting to fire up their calculator, that sequence of events carried a .00007 probability. I demand to see combat source code and the RNG algorithm/seeding!

I'm kind of curious about that as well. My 65% shots in particular seem to only hit about 1/3 of the time. I'm wondering if it's not displaying the base shot difficulty, which is then multiplied by your soldier's aim.

Trust me, the RNG is good. It's not "screwing" up. It's not trying to adjust it's rolls based on history.

I'm curious about this too. Is each attack discretely calculated via RNG for the to-hit result, at the time of the attack? I was playing earlier today and missed a 75% chance-to-hit attack against a Thin Man hiding around a corner. Other events transpired, chaos ensued, so I reloaded. First thing I did was try that attack again (75% chance), and I missed again.

Hmm.

So as an experiment, I kept reloading and trying that attack. 75% chance, 10 attempts, 10 misses. So either the to-hit result was calculated somehow before I ever moved that soldier and tried that attack the first time, or I actually had an RNG generate 10 misses in a row. Which is slightly less than a 1 in a million chance. Seems like something else is going on there.

Also, I don't know how far others have gotten but it seems like the failure of the XCOM project due to countries leaving is an inevitability. In my current game France just left the project. Despite having a satellite in orbit above France, no abductions, no detected UFOs, no terror missions, no Council missions, and no requests from France for assistance. There was literally NOTHING I'm aware of that I could have done to reduce the panic level in France and prevent them from leaving.

I had a very similar situation, where I kept reloading a few turns before a Thin Man dropped in. I would make the same moves every time, moving my sniper to behind a shipping container, then flushing out the Thin Man with my medic. My sniper missed the opportunity shot every single time, but my medic, with her 45% hit chance nailed the bastard every time. I probably ended up doing this at least six different times. (Tough mission.)

I think one of the other things that's throwing me about the RNG is that I'm comparing it to old Xcom. In old Xcom, missing once or even twice wasn't always the end of the world. So you could afford to fire off a bunch of 12% shots, and one of them would eventually hit. New Xcom, every shot counts, and if you miss, you're most likely going to eat plasma on the next turn.

Something sounds very wrong. If in old Xcom something would eventually hit, then it sounds like the action matched the probability. But the same result time after time, even on reloads?

Are the percentages cumulative in some way over the length of a mission and the percentage onscreen doesn't actually reflect the percentage? What's the point of a dice roll if the dice are fixed?

Edit

Thanks for the reply Tkyl.

Tkyl wrote:

At higher difficulty levels, it is almost guaranteed that countries will leave the XCOM project. However, even if there game doesn't give you any direct way to lower panic (through missions) you can always launch a satellite to lower the countries panic. The problem is, you usually always need more satellites than what you have.

Or, as in my case, there was already a satellite above France. Can I launch another one over a country that already has a satellite in orbit?

To clarify, my home base is in Germany. France (right next door!) was at a high panic level, 4 or 5 bars. I launched a satellite over France, which took them down to 2 bars. Over the next month or so, France's panic level steadily went up to 3, then 4, then 5 bars. I got the news graphic about "Terror in the streets of France!". During this time period, there were no missions that would have directly affected France's panic level, at least that I'm aware of. There might have been another mission in Europe somewhere, but I don't think so since the UK and Russia were already out, and there was nothing in Germany. Once France hit 5 bars AGAIN, there was nothing I could do since I already had a satellite over the country.

I'm trying to avoid the obvious joke here about France's willingness to surrender so easily.

I was also a little cheesed that once France left the project, my satellite apparently went with them. I can't reprogram it to a different country? Man, satellites are so expensive and time-consuming to build, that one really stung.

1Dgaf wrote:

Something sounds very wrong. If in old Xcom something would eventually hit, then it sounds like the action matched the probability. But the same result time after time, even on reloads?

Are the percentages cumulative in some way over the length of a mission and the percentage onscreen doesn't actually reflect the percentage? What's the point of a dice roll if the dice are fixed?

Edit

Thanks for the reply Tkyl.

Like someone said earlier, it's probably just the way the RNG is seeded. Or it's just complete chance making us all look like fools.

Tkyl wrote:
muttonchop wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

So as an experiment, I kept reloading and trying that attack. 75% chance, 10 attempts, 10 misses. So either the to-hit result was calculated somehow before I ever moved that soldier and tried that attack the first time, or I actually had an RNG generate 10 misses in a row. Which is slightly less than a 1 in a million chance. Seems like something else is going on there.

Could just be something to do with the way they seed their RNG.

Were you reloading the game before each shot? Or was it all from one session?

I was reloading. I had a save at the start of that turn, so I played the actions (move, shoot, miss) then reloaded that same save. However, I tried doing things in different orders (moving other soldiers first) and even moving the attacking soldier to slightly different locations (his hit % was always right at 75% though).

I've also noticed what I assume is a small bug. The little red/yellow alien heads in the bottom right that indicate aliens in view of the selected soldier also display a hit% if you mouse over them. In some cases, this hit% does not agree with the hit% when I actually select an alien to shoot at. In one case (my heavy), his hit% is typically around 50%. If I mouse over his "alien in-view" icons, it'll usually show some ridiculously low number like 1%. I have another soldier (Assault) whose view icons always display a hit% that is exactly 30% higher than his actual hit%. I'll select one that says 85%, and then the view will skew toward the alien and my hit% is now 55%.

kazooka wrote:

Like someone said earlier, it's probably just the way the RNG is seeded. Or it's just complete chance making us all look like fools.

It could be chance - which would be kind of cool - but Tkyl said it isn't the RNG.

Which for anyone wondering is a random number generator.

complexmath wrote:

Some of us are still at work

And some of us have just under 23 hours to wait till it unlocks...

Still, I've got today to think of my squaddie names

So far I've got:

Ivana Tkyl
'Eedwin Inafairfight

Must think of more...

Wait, the game doesn't tell me a satellite is out of range of my interceptors until after I've placed it.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Wait, the game doesn't tell me a satellite is out of range of my interceptors until after I've placed it. :|

There are a few "tips" and "hints" that come along that mention that. I didn't pick up on it the first time either. So putting a satellite on a virgin continent is useless unless you buy/transfer an interceptor for that continent as well. Unless you only want to lower panic levels. But that's just silly.

So it seems there is a huge "hump" in the middle of the game. My second game around, I managed to get over that hump. I guess the hump could be defined as an alien base mission. I'm not sure if there is more than one, but that mission certainly was the hump. I managed to win it, two days before a council meeting. With that success, my report card was thus:
IMAGE(http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559829425216432596/DA08376D47E6052B18D7ACF754882C4F3D978507/)
My previous report cards were of the D kind. The squad that was all out of gum (note that two colonels walked away from that base) and captured a live commander:
IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559829425213958087/3B461B8905DD959A7CF5971D1767806E325FE3D4/)
IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559829425216433880/D54ADD7038C99189D6A5C21CFD651C2BEA041A61/)

As can be seen, my squad is also function colour-coded. Rookies = red, support = yellow (switched to pearl white since), heavy = pink, sniper = green (is anybody not running green snipers?), assault = blue. Helmet comes with power armour, rather than rank.

MoonDragon wrote:

As can be seen, my squad is also function colour-coded. Rookies = red, support = yellow (switched to pearl white since), heavy = pink, sniper = green (is anybody not running green snipers?), assault = blue. Helmet comes with power armour, rather than rank.

Years of conditioning from army movies. Snipers always wear green to blend into anything. It's a magic color.

Vega wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

Or, as in my case, there was already a satellite above France. Can I launch another one over a country that already has a satellite in orbit?

Yes, if you highlight each country in the Situation Room it shows you the bonuses you get for 1, 2, 3, or 4 satellites (I think some max out at 2 or 3). And for many of them there's an additional extra bonus if you put the max number of satellites over them.

I don't think that's for a country, but rather a continent. The more satellites you put over a continent, the greater the bonus you get. When every country on the continent has a satellite, you get the continental bonus that was presented at the beginning of the game (for putting your base down).

--edit--
Note in the screenshot I posted in my previous post, you can see these bonuses listed at the bottom of each continental column. I get African one because that's where my base is, and I get South American one because I have both countries covered with a satellite.

Boudreaux wrote:

Or, as in my case, there was already a satellite above France. Can I launch another one over a country that already has a satellite in orbit?

Yes, if you highlight each country in the Situation Room it shows you the bonuses you get for 1, 2, 3, or 4 satellites (I think some max out at 2 or 3). And for many of them there's an additional extra bonus if you put the max number of satellites over them.

-edit-
Doh.. just took a closer look at the Situation screen, you're right. I thought the bonuses changed when I switched between countries, but it's per continent. Phew, because I was actually wondering how in the world I was going to afford putting multiple satellites over each country.