XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Strategy Game - Developed by Firaxis

I'll end up switching between control schemes until I'm comfortable with one.

master0 wrote:
hannibals wrote:

Found XCOM on Intkeys.com for $34.90. Has anyone tried them? They seem like a similiar outfit to Green Man Gaming. The only caveat is that you'd be buying an international version (EU/AU) of the game, so it would release on October 12th instead. They claim it's region-free though, so it doesn't seem like you'd have to do anything complicated like mess with a VPN to get your game activated.

http://www.intkeys.com/index.php?mai...

Researching this was interesting. Seems like there is a nice grey market growing in digital downloads. I wouldn't buy from them as it could get your account in trouble.

Found this forum post:

I did a search for "intkeys" and it found no search results on STEAM. I want to make sure I do not breach the STEAM TOS so here is my question.

If I buy Steam Keys from this site below, am I breaking the STEAM TOS?

http://www.intkeys.com/

Many of there keys are from Russia and converted via their VPN scheme to be region free and/or able to be validated on STEAM. All this is legal according to the author of this site which has been up and running since 2008.

TIA as I don't want to jeopardize my highly valued STEAM Account in any way

STEAM RESPONDED with a email a day later with this statement:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Sherwood,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

This is not an authorized re-seller of Steam CD Keys. Please do not complete any purchases with this vendor.

Only CD Keys included with retail copies or purchased from authorized retailers will be allowed.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks, I found the original thread at evga.com. Also, I've used a scanned barcode to recover my Steam account credentials before, so I was wondering if this could be used to hijack your account. Someone from the Steam forums had the same concern: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...

I've been following some back and forth discussion on Slickdeals about whether sites like these are safe. I think I'll stick with Green Man Gaming for now, they seem legit compared to these sites that sell international keys. XCOM is 10% off at Green Man right now, but it's not clear whether you get the bonuses when ordering from them instead.

hannibals wrote:

I think I'll stick with Green Man Gaming for now, they seem legit compared to these sites that sell international keys. XCOM is 10% off at Green Man right now, but it's not clear whether you get the bonuses when ordering from them instead.

I actually ordered from GMG this afternoon. Their site says you get the following for your $45 in NA:

The game- I already have my code and it is preloading on steam.
The Elite Soldier Pack DLC
The copy of Civ V- The code for this is supposed to be mailed out on XCOM's release day according to GMG's blog.
A $10 GMG credit* - The code for this is supposed to be mailed out "within 24 hours" of XCOM's release

*Note- The site says that they are retroactively adding this credit to all existing NA preorders, so those of you who got in on the trade-in offer are really getting a deal.

It's on my hard drive. I just can't do anything with it.

WHO CAME UP WITH THIS TORTURE

Thin_J wrote:

It's on my hard drive. I just can't do anything with it.

WHO CAME UP WITH THIS TORTURE

The play button when it's finished downloading/pre-loading fooled me for a second.

Jasonofindy wrote:
hannibals wrote:

I think I'll stick with Green Man Gaming for now, they seem legit compared to these sites that sell international keys. XCOM is 10% off at Green Man right now, but it's not clear whether you get the bonuses when ordering from them instead.

I actually ordered from GMG this afternoon. Their site says you get the following for your $45 in NA:

The game- I already have my code and it is preloading on steam.
The Elite Soldier Pack DLC
The copy of Civ V- The code for this is supposed to be mailed out on XCOM's release day according to GMG's blog.
A $10 GMG credit* - The code for this is supposed to be mailed out "within 24 hours" of XCOM's release

*Note- The site says that they are retroactively adding this credit to all existing NA preorders, so those of you who got in on the trade-in offer are really getting a deal.

Wait green man gaming give you 10 dollars credit? That might be enough to push me over. Also has preloading started?

Edit: Yup I broke down. I'm preloading now. Now where's that Civ key...

Here is video of the original (?) re-made version. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/...

I am so ready for this. Can it be the 8th yet?!

I played the demo earlier in the week. Today it hit me, I made a choice to go to one country and not the other. Can I go back and play that other country mission? Is it a different location?

Jasonofindy wrote:
hannibals wrote:

I think I'll stick with Green Man Gaming for now, they seem legit compared to these sites that sell international keys. XCOM is 10% off at Green Man right now, but it's not clear whether you get the bonuses when ordering from them instead.

I actually ordered from GMG this afternoon. Their site says you get the following for your $45 in NA:

The game- I already have my code and it is preloading on steam.
The Elite Soldier Pack DLC
The copy of Civ V- The code for this is supposed to be mailed out on XCOM's release day according to GMG's blog.
A $10 GMG credit* - The code for this is supposed to be mailed out "within 24 hours" of XCOM's release

*Note- The site says that they are retroactively adding this credit to all existing NA preorders, so those of you who got in on the trade-in offer are really getting a deal.

What was the trade in offer? I read on this thread that you could have gotten a $8 credit for trading in a free game.

Also, it doesn't seem like you will get the Team Fortress 2 hats if you order from Green Man, but I think I can live with that.

Edwin wrote:

Here is video of the original (?) re-made version. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/...

The second video on here has me drooling

karmajay wrote:

I played the demo earlier in the week. Today it hit me, I made a choice to go to one country and not the other. Can I go back and play that other country mission? Is it a different location?

Nah sadly it's the same mission. I normal gameplay that sort of decision will lead to different missions, but not in the demo sadly. I really, really want this to be out already. Worse I have a ton of sick days, and everyone around me is sick at the moment....

hannibals wrote:
Jasonofindy wrote:
hannibals wrote:

I think I'll stick with Green Man Gaming for now, they seem legit compared to these sites that sell international keys. XCOM is 10% off at Green Man right now, but it's not clear whether you get the bonuses when ordering from them instead.

I actually ordered from GMG this afternoon. Their site says you get the following for your $45 in NA:

The game- I already have my code and it is preloading on steam.
The Elite Soldier Pack DLC
The copy of Civ V- The code for this is supposed to be mailed out on XCOM's release day according to GMG's blog.
A $10 GMG credit* - The code for this is supposed to be mailed out "within 24 hours" of XCOM's release

*Note- The site says that they are retroactively adding this credit to all existing NA preorders, so those of you who got in on the trade-in offer are really getting a deal.

What was the trade in offer? I read on this thread that you could have gotten a $8 credit for trading in a free game.

Also, it doesn't seem like you will get the Team Fortress 2 hats if you order from Green Man, but I think I can live with that.

That trade in deal is over sadly, I've should have jumped on it at the time. Still between the Civ bonus and the gift card I'm feeling good.

Pre-loading NAO!!!

Dangnabit have to wait till to the 12th to activate it. Dang it

Doesn't it activate on the 9th in the US?

midnight eastern time on the 9th! so we'll be playing it monday night here.

jonnypolite wrote:

midnight eastern time on the 9th! so we'll be playing it monday night here.

...assuming a flawless launch and you've got a big enough pipe to download 10+GB in three hours. But yes, being a left-coaster myself, I'm hopeful as well.

EDIT: I forgot most are able to pre-load from Steam. I bought from Amazon and they're indicating it won't be available for d/l until 9:00pm Pacific.

Tkyl wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:
Edwin wrote:

The Verge has an interesting piece on the art style. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...

[JK]Man, whoever worked on the graphics engine for this game really slacked off :)[/jk]

I hear those guys don't know what the hell they are doing.

Me suspects that Tkyl is one of the artists....anyone?

Release Date:
United States: October 9, 2012
Australia: October 12, 2012

I have a three day weekend starting Friday October 12th

I just have to hope my GMG code comes through in a timely fashion.

The Verge also posted some video of some guys from 2K vs Firaxis playing XCOM multiplayer. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...

Does anyone know if you can practice against the AI in multiplayer versus mode?

D-Man777 wrote:

EDIT: I forgot most are able to pre-load from Steam. I bought from Amazon and they're indicating it won't be available for d/l until 9:00pm Pacific.

Is there any info on who can preload it? I tried last night but there was no option for me here in the EU...

Is there any info on who can preload it? I tried last night but there was no option for me here in the EU...

I didn't get the option until I quit Steam and restarted, at which point the game changed from "X-Com Preorder" to just "X-Com", and allowed the preload. I think they actually changed which game you own in the database.

Malor wrote:
Is there any info on who can preload it? I tried last night but there was no option for me here in the EU...

I didn't get the option until I quit Steam and restarted, at which point the game changed from "X-Com Preorder" to just "X-Com", and allowed the preload. I think they actually changed which game you own in the database.

Thanks! I don't think it was showing for me yesterday but I may have not seen it amid all the "XCOM/X-COM" games a the bottom of my list!

I'm a bit disappointed that I downloaded 5gigs of Demo and the game can't or doesn't seem to be pulling any content from that... Seems like a waste.

Duoae wrote:
Malor wrote:
Is there any info on who can preload it? I tried last night but there was no option for me here in the EU...

I didn't get the option until I quit Steam and restarted, at which point the game changed from "X-Com Preorder" to just "X-Com", and allowed the preload. I think they actually changed which game you own in the database.

Thanks! I don't think it was showing for me yesterday but I may have not seen it amid all the "XCOM/X-COM" games a the bottom of my list!

I'm a bit disappointed that I downloaded 5gigs of Demo and the game can't or doesn't seem to be pulling any content from that... Seems like a waste.

Probably because the file you download when preloading is encrypted. If you waited until the game was released, you could probably move all those videos into the correct directory and avoid downloading them again.

Boo Yah!

GMG just emailed me my activation key for XCOM, I'm pre-loading on Steam right now.

jonnypolite wrote:

midnight eastern time on the 9th! so we'll be playing it monday night here.

Awesome, it will be up in time for my birthday!

Prozac wrote:

Boo Yah!

GMG just emailed me my activation key for XCOM, I'm pre-loading on Steam right now.

Same here! It says the activation key will be sent on the day of release, yet it includes it below? What the? Oh well, downloading now. Wonder when it will unlock for us... could be the 9th or the 12th. Hmm...

BlackSabre wrote:
Prozac wrote:

Boo Yah!

GMG just emailed me my activation key for XCOM, I'm pre-loading on Steam right now.

Same here! It says the activation key will be sent on the day of release, yet it includes it below? What the? Oh well, downloading now. Wonder when it will unlock for us... could be the 9th or the 12th. Hmm...

Got mine too, and they always say that just in case a publisher isn't good to them.

Got Windows 7 working, pre-loading now! I'm just happy to have more X-Com.

EDIT: In fact I seem to be so happy that my nose just started bleeding. What the hell?!

Tamren wrote:

EDIT: In fact I seem to be so happy that my nose just started bleeding. What the hell?!

Too much ember!!

Keithustus wrote:

Me suspects that Tkyl is one of the artists....anyone?

Graphics Programmer