XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Strategy Game - Developed by Firaxis

Duoae wrote:

[edit2] Yeah, in fact, progressing from there you get sent back and all around via the choose links. A lot of them are broken as far as I saw... Might want to get that fixed by someone, Tykl.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll pass the word on.

It works fine for me (I did it directly from YouTube versus embedded here).

-edit-
Balanced Team -> Frontal Assault is what is broken. It takes you right to the end with the links for the demo and preorder.
-edit-

The first time I used the Balanced Team and the choices progressed through until mission end. Captured some aliens but lost a squad member. Then I did the Assault Team and I guess the moral of the story is "Don't take an Assault Team". Through the various choices you blow up a lot of aliens but your squad takes a serious beating and usually doesn't make it out alive.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working very well. Going balanced/take cover/capture aliens causes the video to stop.

For those of us who pre-ordered on Steam, Reward 3 has been reached. Civilization V should be in your game list now.

Vega wrote:

For those of us who pre-ordered on Steam, Reward 3 has been reached. Civilization V should be in your game list now.

Damn must stop staring at the preorder screen.....

Thanks for the heads-up, Vega, got my gift out quick before the rush.

Still stuck with four copies of Torchlight 1, if anyone wants one.

Malor wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Vega, got my gift out quick before the rush.

Still stuck with four copies of Torchlight 1, if anyone wants one.

Hi. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but we both heavily disagreed with Larry on the ME3 forums, and we both agreed he's always wrong. That means there's enough love in this relationship to grant the gift of giving.

Also, I have no idea what Torchlight is, but if you have 4 copies floating around, hell, I'll take one!

LOL, kexx, let's get you hooked up.

I don't think it does -- coop was the big thing in the sequel. I think Torchlight 1 is solo-only. But it's a lot of fun.

Thanks Malor, maybe we should start a coop game. It has coop right?

Edit: That's too bad co-op would be fun. I did find a coop mod, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Malor wrote:

LOL, kexx, let's get you hooked up.

Woohoooo!! Shalalm Baskur to you, my friend!!

Balanced, cover, capture worked fine for me.

Looks like the tier 3 Steam Pre-Order bonus unlocked sometime between now and yesterday. Free Civ5 for everyone! It's already been given out.

Can you still get it if you pre-order?

ZaneRockfist wrote:

Can you still get it if you pre-order?

Yes

Thank you. Tkyl plushy, too?

They were going to, but I heard they had issues with the tentacles.

Robear wrote:

They were going to, but I heard they had issues with the tentacles.

Tkyl could be big in Japan.

If anyone have an extra copy of Civ 5. I'd like to take it off someone's hand. I don't have anything to trade right now on Steam but I would certainly send a little thank you gift during the next Steam sale. Already per-ordered Xcom thru Gamespot.

ZaneRockfist wrote:

Tkyl could be big in Japan.

I don't think a three-inch tentacle would impress even the Japanese.

Malor wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Tkyl could be big in Japan.

I don't think a three-inch tentacle would impress even the Japanese.

No X-Com for you!

Tamren wrote:

Wonderful.

Sorry to hear, Tamren.

2k Rep wrote:

Yeah, the bottom line is that Windows XP is just really old, and is harder and harder to support in modern game development. Keep in mind that no form of Windows XP has even been sold in 3.5 years! And it's been 4 years since it's been sold in retail.

We only have one Windows XP machine here in the office, and XCOM failed to launch on it. But it's an older machine that hasn't been updated in a while, so that doesn't necessarily mean it will fail to run on all XP machines. Again, it's just something we haven't formally tested, so we can't say if it'll work.

However, I'm pretty sure Windows 8 only costs $40 to upgrade from Windows XP. That's a hard price to argue with - and for the time being, you can even run the Windows 8 Preview for free!

2k rep wrote:

The game is only supported in Vista and above. There's no code in the game that explicitly prevents it from running in Windows XP, and it does have support for DirectX 9, but we're not officially supporting Windows XP.

It sucks they don't support XP officially, but I'm not super shocked. I'm just glad it's not a Windows 8 exclusive.

Tamren wrote:

Have a bit of a warning for people who use Windows XP. I was looking at the XCOM store page for the umpteenth time watching the timer count down to release when I happened to glance over the system requirements. I started at the bottom. Steam Client, .NET 4, 4 gigs of ram, Dual Core, yup yup. Pretty low all things considered, my computer is a handful of years old at this point and it still meets the recommended specs.

OH WAIT A MINUTE

Minimum:
OS:Windows Vista

That's right. No Windows XP support. Great job Firaxis! Way to warn people.

Meh.

XP was end of life'd in 2009, unless you have a many thousands of dollars per year service contract with MS. We're now on DirectX 11, which is 2 versions farther than XP supports.

DirectX 10 has been out for 6 years, and it's pretty sad that we're only now getting games that actually use the full API.

At this point, if you're a PC gamer in any way, shape, or form, there's absolutely no reason not to have upgraded to 7. But hey, let's not let logic and reality stand in our way.

Balthezor wrote:

If anyone have an extra copy of Civ 5. I'd like to take it off someone's hand. I don't have anything to trade right now on Steam but I would certainly send a little thank you gift during the next Steam sale. Already per-ordered Xcom thru Gamespot. :)

Friend me on steam and it's yours gratis.

Have a bit of a warning for people who use Windows XP. I was looking at the XCOM store page for the umpteenth time watching the timer count down to release when I happened to glance over the system requirements. I started at the bottom. Steam Client, .NET 4, 4 gigs of ram, Dual Core, yup yup. Pretty low all things considered, my computer is a handful of years old at this point and it still meets the recommended specs.

OH WAIT A MINUTE

Minimum:
OS:Windows Vista

That's right. No Windows XP support. Great job Firaxis! Way to warn people.

Before you say "this is your own fault", yeah I admit it is. But I could point out a little something missing from the XCOM store page:

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img213/6577/warningf.png)

I'm sure you can understand how I skipped over the system requirements in my excitement to pre-order. I have read web articles, magazine articles, seen official and unofficial video coverage of the game in progress and the game demo. And not once did ANY of them mention this limitation. If they had simply said the words Vista, 7, DirectX 10/11 or 64-bit at some point even once that would have tipped me off. But no, the word was always "coming soon to PC!" or "you don't need a great computer to run this game".

Wonderful.

Certis wrote:
2k rep wrote:

The game is only supported in Vista and above. There's no code in the game that explicitly prevents it from running in Windows XP, and it does have support for DirectX 9, but we're not officially supporting Windows XP.

It sucks they don't support XP officially, but I'm not super shocked. I'm just glad it's not a Windows 8 exclusive.

Those are quotes from the 2k forums right? No surprise that I didn't see them. Not only are general forums cesspools that I try to avoid but the two sticky threads in it that I would have actually read called "The Official Preorder Information Thread!" and "X-COM Information Summarized- READ ME FIRST!" don't mention Windows XP at all.

I did a little research. The demo actually runs at 32-bit DX9. There is nothing immediately obvious about it that specifically requires 64-bit or a higher OS. Without being able to confirm this people made an educated guess as to the cause. They figured that the reason it doesn't work on XP is that the game is programmed to use the OpenByFileID function to call files. This feature was introduced in Vista and simply doesn't exist in XP which uses different code architecture.

cube wrote:

We're now on DirectX 11, which is 2 versions farther than XP supports. DirectX 10 has been out for 6 years, and it's pretty sad that we're only now getting games that actually use the full API.

And because of that I feel no pressing need to update my graphics hardware to take advantage of DX10 and 11. It's a vicious cycle.

cube wrote:

At this point, if you're a PC gamer in any way, shape, or form, there's absolutely no reason not to have upgraded to 7. But hey, let's not let logic and reality stand in our way.

I'm sure you realize how much of a horrible PITA it is to upgrade an OS or an entire computer? It's like packing up your entire house and everything in it and shipping it to the Moon along with the topsoil from your front yard and assembling everything when you get there to be exactly as it was before. Hell according to the last survey 15% of the people on Steam still use XP. (that's more than all versions of Vista combined, ha). 15% of 5 million is not a small demographic. I was hoping to avoid updating to 7 until I could build a whole new computer because upgrading straight would result in issues. 64-bit 7 is a ram hog. OEM installations are locked to your motherboard and can't be transferred. All drivers need to be updated to 64 bit spec...

Whatever, that's not the issue here. What really pisses me off about this was that Firaxis and 2k should have seen this coming and said something. The 2k rep that Certis posted? That was in response to people discovering that the demo was not XP compatible. And the demo came out days AFTER pre-orders. They could have gotten the word out MONTHS ago. Hell if I had known I would have upgraded my PC specifically for this. I can think back to purchase decisions that might have resulted in a whole new PC by now!

All it would have taken was one simple word change. Coming soon to Consoles and Windows 7

Eh, I don't think saying "Coming to Windows" implies it's supported on obsolete versions of Windows. I mean, Microsoft itself is no longer supporting Windows XP. I don't really expect modern games to run on Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows 3.1 either.

Also suddenly having a second copy of Civilization 5 confused me for a bit. I should probably pay more attention to these games, but I just got it on Steam because I know I'll buy it anyway. So...yay?

Anyone have a good .gif for "Tempest in a teapot"?

I suppose we just take it for granted that PC games are backwards compatible to XP. The only real reasons (until now) that you would need to move away from DX9 and 32-bit were memory or graphic limitations. The vast majority of games just don't need that power, so there was no reason not to code them to use DX9 and 32-bit which is fully forward compatible. XCOM is something of a first because the game CAN run 32-bit DX9, that's what the demo uses. And if you were to look at it (and hear about it) there is no obvious clue that you would need things like 64-bit, hence it would seem that XP was a go. But it seems to use file calling functions built into Vista and higher that don't exist on XP. They could have coded the game to use whatever older system existed as well, but even I know the cost to benefit ratio on that is poor.

The surprise comes from the fact that no one though this was important enough to mention in any significant way. Usually games that don't support XP go out of their way to point out this fact. XCOM doesn't mention this in the fine print, they just leave XP out of the text, if you are not paying attention its very easy to miss. And they don't provide a big warning banner the same way Just Cause 2 and Shattered Horizon do.

- 15% of of Steam users use Windows XP according to latest Steam survey
- Record peak user user population per 24h: 5 million
- Unique logins per day: over 6 million
- Total number of active Steam accounts: over 30 million

Do the math. XCOM has been the 1-5th top selling game since pre-orders went up, and I found out almost by accident that I would have trouble running the game. I foresee a lot of cancelled pre-orders and demands for post release refunds in the next 10 days. And that's just for Steam! What about the people buying boxed copies? They all need Steam to run, and I bet most moms and dads don't read the requirements on the box or would recognize the problem even if they do. This could have been avoided.