XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Strategy Game - Developed by Firaxis

Has anyone else gotten the extraordinary rendition mission yet? I hadn't gotten it until just recently and thought it was creepy.

The whole idea is that a member of the council states that they have a problem with a politician who is suspected of being in collaboration with the aliens and requests that you "bring him in for questioning". It is essentially the same kind of mission as the escort the scientist only with a lot more opposition (still all thin men) and entirely different dialog. Instead of him expressing gratitude, the politician says stuff like "under who's authority are you detaining me?" or "where are you taking me?".

I, of course, used the combination of ghosted and flying psionic colonels to clear out the buildings prior to loading him onto the skyranger, so it wasn't terribly difficult, but the dialog sort of made me feel like a fascist.

The completion of the hyperwave relay makes the assault missions a lot easier. Having an accurate threat estimate prior to engagement pretty much means you can plan each of your engagements with greater certainty. Knowing, for instance, that there are 23 hostiles and the mix of forces in a battleship means you can count the bodies down.

For my latest battleship assault, I went entirely with ghost armor and am glad I did. When I got to the crux section where the doorways open up to a wide open area (where a small army of aliens invariably lies in wait), the ghost armor pretty much let me bypass the ambush and attack them from behind.

I made liberal use of mind control because doing so allowed me to scout beyond the doors with impunity. Even still on the round that I revealed my troops, I managed to kill off 10 aliens in one round of fire. Each of my double tap snipers managed to kill off a pair of heavy floaters, my assaults managed to take out a berserker and a sectopod, my support kakked another heavy floater, and my heavy fired a rocket that took out three crysilloids. They returned fire from two drones and three floaters and tried to rush me with two more bugs, but the collective firepower of my squad wiped them out pretty quickly. 16 out of 23 hostiles were killed off in two turns without a single one of my soldiers taking any damage.

The final chamber was guarded by an Ethereal, two mutons, and a muton elite. I mind controlled all three mutons and bum rushed the ethereal with suicide bombs. Three alien grenades later, the only two aliens left standing were the ethereal and the muton elite. The ethereal used his nasty psionic lance attack and smoked the poor muton. I finished him off with an alloy cannon for his trouble.

Yes, I've gotten the rendition mission.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Yes, I've gotten the rendition mission.

So far, I think my council missions have been limited to:

Escort scientist
Rescue scientist
Rescue general
Rescue politician
Retrieve ambushed transport
Recover crashed helicopter
Retake research facility
Bomb
and now Rendition

The non council missions include:

Alien terror
Abduction
Landing
Crash

Are there others?

I think I hit a wall on my first playthrough. All Alien Abduction missions come up as Very Difficult, and they are... and at least 1 or 2 of the countries where they are have almost 100% panic. Apparently I didn't manage my resources correctly.

I'm not sure, but it seems like your soldiers are expendable... but really not. You need them to level up ASAP or else they're just fodder, and the more high-level soldiers that die, the more you rely on those rookies.

I did a few missions with the BIG enemies, the front-liners or something as they refer to them. I can take on a group of 2 or 3, but when 2 groups and like 7 or 8 of them show up... Not so much.

I think I'm starting over

Citizen86 wrote:

but when 2 groups and like 7 or 8 of them show up...

Every time that many enemies show up for me my game seems to break. At least 2 of the enemies in a group that size take no action (including passive actions) on their turn.

Onto an unrelated issue, why does 1 of my heavies seem to miss 2 out of every 3 rocket shots? Even straight shots, out of cover.

Citizen86 wrote:

I'm not sure, but it seems like your soldiers are expendable... but really not. You need them to level up ASAP or else they're just fodder, and the more high-level soldiers that die, the more you rely on those rookies.

Seems like always taking 1-2 rookies/squaddies along to get them some levels is good. And maybe use them for risky scouting moves? If they die, oh well, but if they survive and level up then you start to get another good soldier.

jonfentyler wrote:

Onto an unrelated issue, why does 1 of my heavies seem to miss 2 out of every 3 rocket shots? Even straight shots, out of cover.

RNG?

I think I've only had 2 misses so far, out of dozens of shots. I'm probably due for another soon.

Stele wrote:
jonfentyler wrote:

Onto an unrelated issue, why does 1 of my heavies seem to miss 2 out of every 3 rocket shots? Even straight shots, out of cover.

RNG?

I think I've only had 2 misses so far, out of dozens of shots. I'm probably due for another soon.

Yeah. I usually roll with 2 heavies on most of my urban missions. Only one of them seems to have an aiming issue. Both are Col at this point, too.

jonfentyler wrote:
Stele wrote:
jonfentyler wrote:

Onto an unrelated issue, why does 1 of my heavies seem to miss 2 out of every 3 rocket shots? Even straight shots, out of cover.

RNG?

I think I've only had 2 misses so far, out of dozens of shots. I'm probably due for another soon.

Yeah. I usually roll with 2 heavies on most of my urban missions. Only one of them seems to have an aiming issue. Both are Col at this point, too.

I have the same issue with heavies being unable to hit much. As a result, I find myself rolling with two assaults, one support, one heavy, and two snipers most of the time. I find that a heavy psionic with bullet swarm is pretty nice because being able to shoot first and mind fray afterwards is a pretty powerful combination.

Assault psionics are nice because the rapid fire alloy cannon will just about one shot anything south of a sectopod, but range is always an issue for those guys. Being unafraid of thin men and floaters even at range makes taking them on bomb disposal missions worthwhile.

Sniper psionics are nice for the opposite reason. Distance favors the marksman, but cover favors the defender. That and the fact that all my snipers have squad sight so they become next to worthless if they have to move. I have, however, used them to clear rooftops of thin men by floating them over and using mind fray or mind control.

Support psionics are okay. They are always the weak offensive link anyway, so having another mind control attack can often save their bacon.

I think the most ridiculous turn I executed with my Psi squad was one in which I mind controlled four muton elites, walked all four up to a berserker, and took turns dropping grenades at one another's feet.

Thanks for the help. I just built the psi lab in my first game, so I will be taking your advice soon.

Unfortunately, I have a barracks with 47 troops, but only two snipers, one of which is still a squaddie. It seems that all the new troops I receive are either Assault or Heavy.

Has anybody tried mods?

There's an XCom TookBoks :? that looks interesting.

What reminded me of it was what you just said:

* Selective Recruitment - Select the nationality and gender probability of new recruits
* Select the Class that Rookies will be promoted as

Some other stuff too, like turning off panic FF, which I haven't seen any of on Easy but I hear is a real pain on higher difficulties. Also, adjusting the amount of will your squad members lose after being critically wounded. Seems like that would be good. I had a nice Heavy Psi but he's down to 59 will now after some injuries and not really very effective at psi stuff anymore.

Thinking about tinkering with it before I start another game.

Interesting mod, will try it after I finish my current game with Warspace mod, generally a bit better, but some strange terror missions with more than 15 Chryssalids, also more than usual enemy teleports... wondered if they could have made more type of mission, some kind of defend a building mission or one with the squad that starts scattered in the map....

anyone wrote:

Interesting mod, will try it after I finish my current game with Warspace mod, generally a bit better, but some strange terror missions with more than 15 Chryssalids, also more than usual enemy teleports... wondered if they could have made more type of mission, some kind of defend a building mission or one with the squad that starts scattered in the map....

That Warspace mod looks very interesting. When I come back to the game - in a month or two, I think - I'll try it with this mod.

War space looks very interesting. Once I beat the game for the first time I think I will try it.

Stele wrote:

Some other stuff too, like turning off panic FF, which I haven't seen any of on Easy but I hear is a real pain on higher difficulties.

This is a game breaking issue on Insane difficulty. About 80% of my missions looked like: my first guy moves and uncovers a group of aliens, they shoot at him and miss by a mile; he panics and fires at a friendly either killing them or gravely wounding them; this causes the next guy to panic, and shoot a friendly; and so on. This results in half of my team being dead or all of them having just a bar of hp left and, of course, no action points left since they used them up to shoot each other. At this point the aliens take their turn and clean up the map.

Yeah... I didn't play on Insane for long.

I find panic happens on Normal mode as well. not a lot... but enough for me to be annoyed by it. It usually makes sense though, it normally happens if a teammate dies.

I honestly don't mind panic happening. What I do mind is HOW it happens. Because there is no free fire mode, when your guys panic they have no choice but to target a valid target. Most of the times, that happens to be your own team.

In the original game, panic would cause random firing. If your team happen to be unlucky and in the line of fire, then you got shot. But that was a rare occurrence. In this game, it's a normal occurrence. And that makes it suck, rather than a neat difficulty aspect.

Moggy wrote:

That Warspace mod looks very interesting. When I come back to the game - in a month or two, I think - I'll try it with this mod.

Well, couldn't get it to work. XCom crashed every time. Tried all the possibilities in the technical thread to no avail. I wonder if it's because I got the pre-order DLC? I doubt it, but that's the only thing I can think of.

If you're having crashes to desktop, I recommend having Steam re-verify the files. It may not necessarily be the solution to all crashing problems, but it's certainly worth checking.

Also check your graphics-card and sound-card manufacturers for the latest drivers, check if your DirectX is up to date, defrag, eliminate background programs and processes.

Stele wrote:

There's an XCom TookBoks :? that looks interesting.

I love it. Fixed several key annoyances for me including the loading movies that can't be skipped. Thanks for the link. Works great so far. Even balanced my rookies to be a 50/50 slit between men and women.

So an XCOM patch was just downloaded through Steam, looks like some of the Second Wave options have been unlocked to pick from when starting a new game: Forbes Article

Apollo0507 wrote:

So an XCOM patch was just downloaded through Steam, looks like some of the Second Wave options have been unlocked to pick from when starting a new game: Forbes Article

Nice!

Patch notes from official forums

Patch 3 Notes

Second Wave addition
If a player has beaten the game, they can access a variety of gameplay toggles upon starting a new game. The Second Wave option will be available on the New Game menu.

AI teleport bug fix
Minimizes the bug where aliens teleport into the middle of a player’s squad

Defeat screen when beating the game
Minimizes a bug that displays a Defeat screen after winning the game

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

Itsatrap wrote:

If you're having crashes to desktop, I recommend having Steam re-verify the files. It may not necessarily be the solution to all crashing problems, but it's certainly worth checking.

Keithustus wrote:

Also check your graphics-card and sound-card manufacturers for the latest drivers, check if your DirectX is up to date, defrag, eliminate background programs and processes.

The game works fine "vanilla", running Online, offline and with the hosts file edit.

As soon as I install the mod - either normal or Slingshot - it crashes. That's running it offline or with the hosts file edit. Uninstall the mod while making no other changes and it runs fine.

I also tried a full re-install without success. Would love to get this working. Any ideas?

Stele wrote:

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

Seriously? That is awesome!

Hypatian wrote:
Stele wrote:

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

Seriously? That is awesome!

It is?

MoonDragon wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
Stele wrote:

PC Only
Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

Seriously? That is awesome!

It is?

Indeed, what exactly is that?

Chris Kluwe is an NFL player who has been very active at promoting support for gay marriage, and generally against homophobia.

Ok... so what's a hero unlock?