Steam holiday 2011 sales chatter
[size=20]The Steam Holiday Sale 2011[/size]
Sale Dates: Monday Dec. 19 thru Monday Jan 2nd (2 weeks total)
The "DAILY" - these occur each day during the sale at 10AM PST/1 PM EDT.
* Daily sales are where it's at. Most games in Steam's library are discounted 25 to 33% throughout the sale, but if a game is placed on a 'daily' sale, it will be marked down 50 to as much as 90% off. If there's a game you want, it's best to wait till the end of the sale to buy it, to see if it will go on a daily sale first. You can always buy it for 25-33% off on the last day.
* There will likely be a server crush - and it might be a while after 1 pm EDT before the daily shows up. '503' errors are common around that time when trying to access the store page.
* prices are often wrong at or near 1PM EDT. sometimes the server glitches and wrong prices are posted. they usually correct in 15 mins or so. Remember that prices can be wrong in both directions, too high, and too low. In the summer sale, Dawn of War Retribution ($30 normal price was discounted to $7.50 for about 5 mins). Valve will honor these if you get the low price in time.
Steam Features, money & regional pricing
* You can add funds to your steam wallet to avoid many small charges to your bank/credit account.
* You can buy games/dlc etc and send them directly to your Steam Inventory. You can later trade with (or gift to) others from your inventory.
* Not in the U.S. and getting higher regional prices? Feel free to ask someone from the U.S. to help with a gift/paypal exchange. You will need paypal and if you're unknown (coffee grinder) you may need to pay the person first.
The 4-Pack, gifts, and gifting
* When going in on a 4-pack with someone ... please be considerate to the person hosting the 4-pack and mark the paypal payment as a GIFT. This will prevent the host from incurring paypal charges. Also, if you're international (to the host), please opt to pay your own paypal international exchange fee (usually very nominal).
* Please don't beg for gifts. This is not a rule, just a request. Gift-begging is generally frowned upon by the community.
* Steam sales are one of GWJ's shining moments of charity, and there will be a LOT of gift-giving, so make sure to utilize your Steam Wish List, and Steam Friends List. I'd suggesting putting some value games and/or DLC (that you actually want) on your wish list. On each game's store page, the shopper can see who amongst his friends list is wishing for that game.