Kim Jong Il is dead

Pages

From the AP:

SEOUL, South Korea -- Kim Jong Il, North Korea's mercurial and enigmatic leader, has died. He was 69.

Kim's death was announced Monday by state television from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.

I can't say he will be missed.

Is his son any better? I've heard he's crazier than a sh*thouse rat.

In his honor...

Bear wrote:

Is his son any better? I've heard he's crazier than a sh*thouse rat.

Given that he probably trained his son, I doubt it.

Twitter is on fire with jokes. So many jokes.

Nicholaas wrote:

Twitter is on fire with jokes. So many jokes.

All the jokes.

All of them.

Bear wrote:

Is his son any better? I've heard he's crazier than a sh*thouse rat.

People made the same comparisons with Kim Il Sung, IIRC. I can only imagine.

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

Ooh, Prederick, I wasn't too worried before, but I forgot how weird the NK society is.

Great, now I'm a bit concerned. Jerk.

Suddenly I have the urge to fire up Falcon 4.0 again for...planning purposes.

In honor of my partner in crime's passing, I wrote a poem for all DPRK citizens.

North Korea, give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Welcome to China, land of relative freedom and liberty!

Now that he's not sick anymore, I guess they'll have to change all the portraits to 'Kim Jong Dead'.

Looks like I picked a wrong year to be a dictator.

Slacker1913 wrote:

Looks like I picked a wrong year to be a dictator.

Actually, I hear there's an opening for one.

Some delicious irony.

CNBC wrote:

Asia Stocks Fall After Death of Kim Jong il
Asian equities and U.S. stock index futures fell on Monday, with South Korean shares tumbling as much as 5 percent, while the dollar gained on safe-haven appeal after news of the death of North Korea leader Kim Jong il raised fears of regional instability.

Seems like stock markets prefer stability over change, even if it's in the most rigid of all communist regimes.

Prederick wrote:
CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

I'd be real worried about that if I was South Korea.

Malor wrote:

Now that he's not sick anymore, I guess they'll have to change all the portraits to 'Kim Jong Dead'.

/slowclap
Lame joke but I will give you props for it.

Chairman_Mao wrote:

In honor of my partner in crime's passing, I wrote a poem for all DPRK citizens.

North Korea, give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Welcome to China, land of relative freedom and liberty!

Not that I'm saying life in north Korea is particularly pleasant, but the recent history of the Chinese as hosts to Korean refugees hasn't been particularly nice.

I'm sure if anything they're locking down the border even more than it is right now. But I would be a benevolent dictator, if they'd just give me another chance...

Prederick wrote:
CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

I think this is exactly what's going to happen. Jr. needs to prove himself to the international community. Too bad Sr. died in the middle of winter (usually the, "I'll behave if you give me some food" stage in NK's annual cycle).

Nuclear test might fit the bill nicely. Plus it would keep his people warm.

Could not happen to a nicer guy.

Prederick wrote:
CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

Run of the mill crazy so far.

LilCodger wrote:
Prederick wrote:
CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

Run of the mill crazy so far.

It's a bad sign that my first thought after hearing about K-J-I's death was "I hope the next guy isn't even crazier". Just as crazy? Bad for the North Koreans, obviously, but I think I can live with "not crazier" at this point.

Is there any chance KJ2 is more moderate than his dad? Should we at least make a attempt to find out our should we just automatically start demonizing him?

Bear wrote:

Is there any chance KJ2 is more moderate than his dad? Should we at least make a attempt to find out our should we just automatically start demonizing him?

We should start demonizing him.

KJ2 was educated in the West and is supposedly a fan of basketball, so he's at least had a look around and found something he liked.

Bear wrote:

Is there any chance KJ2 is more moderate than his dad? Should we at least make a attempt to find out our should we just automatically start demonizing him?

Demonize? Forget that, they have NUKES and have threatened to wipe other countries off the map. Let's bomb them into the stone age just in case they may ever use said nukes so America can be safer!!!

Sound familiar?

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
LilCodger wrote:
Prederick wrote:
CheezePavilion wrote:

So uh, that whole 2012 thing is getting less and less funny...

Seriously. I assume the new regime will prove it's not weak with some crazy saber-rattling. The question is, how crazy?

Run of the mill crazy so far.

It's a bad sign that my first thought after hearing about K-J-I's death was "I hope the next guy isn't even crazier". Just as crazy? Bad for the North Koreans, obviously, but I think I can live with "not crazier" at this point.

Just give him time to warm up! I'm sure he can do better than his dad, he just has to give it his full effort and he can accomplish anything.

93_confirmed wrote:
Bear wrote:

Is there any chance KJ2 is more moderate than his dad? Should we at least make a attempt to find out our should we just automatically start demonizing him?

Demonize? Forget that, they have NUKES and have threatened to wipe other countries off the map. Let's bomb them into the stone age just in case they may ever use said nukes so America can be safer!!!

Sound familiar?

Yeah, except they actually DO have nukes. Best reason to suspect we knew that Iraq didn't have WMDs is that we attacked them.

He's a young man in an environment of veteran politicians, advisors and military men right? I wonder if he'll end up asserting his own will or just serve as the figurehead to legitimize the real power players in the background. Doesnt matter how much grooming his father did to position him, the fact is he isnt his dad and I'd guess there are a lot of shifting powerplays going on. It sounds like even his father had to work at keeping the military happy above all else.

Pages