Path of Exile catch-all

Based on my short time with it last night, I like the new league. None of the other league stuff since I started playing this has ever engaged me very much, a lot of it I ignored when I could or just thought was a PITA. Not sure why this league is engaging me.

wtf is up with the prices for Poet's Pens?

Previously they were between 10-15 chaos.

They're like 230+ now

Same with Grelwood Shank,, I suspect one of the streamers pushed a new build.

How long is it taking for you guys to get a boss battle on the new league content? I'm currently starting Act 3 and haven't got 100% on any of the house thingys yet. I've been doing my best to concentrate intelligence but at +3 a pop and random spread this is going to take a while.

i have no idea what house thingys are about or boss battles involved with them. I've won 1 syndicate assassin attempt by the skin of my teeth. Everything else is just progressing through the acts as normal.

Homard wrote:

How long is it taking for you guys to get a boss battle on the new league content? I'm currently starting Act 3 and haven't got 100% on any of the house thingys yet. I've been doing my best to concentrate intelligence but at +3 a pop and random spread this is going to take a while.

I got lucky and managed to max one out around the beginning of Act 2- the house battle itself was... alright. It wasn’t much more difficult than the normal content. It generates a sub dungeon with a ton of loot, but when you portal out you return to the map where you opened the gateways to the dungeon instead of the town, so you either have to ignore 90% of the drops or take multiple multi-portal slogs back to a merchant.

ranalin wrote:

wtf is up with the prices for Poet's Pens?

Previously they were between 10-15 chaos.

They're like 230+ now

Previously? When the item was first released they were low but pretty fast people figured out how insane Poet Pen is so they've been steadily above 50c for at least a league. And they made them more rare in Betrayal.

I didn't look last league because i played just a little bit and only with a caustic rain build, but for 2 or 3 before that i ran poets they were that price.

liquid wrote:
ranalin wrote:

wtf is up with the prices for Poet's Pens?

Previously they were between 10-15 chaos.

They're like 230+ now

Previously? When the item was first released they were low but pretty fast people figured out how insane Poet Pen is so they've been steadily above 50c for at least a league. And they made them more rare in Betrayal.

Poet's Pen drop chance was drastically changed, along with Impulsa's this league. Both were made into what we'd call "Tier 1 uniques" which is to say the rarest uniques now. Both used to be much more common. This is 100% why the price changes.

I never done molten strike before. So here's my Betrayal build as of tonight. I upgraded my chest palte to loreweave with the profits from this kill.

Probably my fastest red elder kill so far. Going to be attempting uber elder with this character soon.

http://poe-profile.info/profile/Fuzz...

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/951847770446138250/4903DC59431F114E15610C4E1902448845A8CB21/)

Anyone have a bunch of currency in Standard? Have some gear I am going to be going through. That needs sockets/links/colors set up....

Standard standard? or Betrayal standard? I might have some but will be able to check when I'm off from work later today. If you're referring to the regular standard league I probably don't have specific currency for that but I could throw a couple of exalts your way so you can buy it.

Also, Brands are fun as hell. Especially Storm Brand as it's more instant and fluid, but Armageddon Brand does pack a nice punch too, but I'm not a fan of the extra delay time.

liquid wrote:

Standard standard? or Betrayal standard? I might have some but will be able to check when I'm off from work later today. If you're referring to the regular standard league I probably don't have specific currency for that but I could throw a couple of exalts your way so you can buy it.

Also, Brands are fun as hell. Especially Storm Brand as it's more instant and fluid, but Armageddon Brand does pack a nice punch too, but I'm not a fan of the extra delay time.

Standard Standard.

PM in-game @liqBrand if you still need currency.

I'm just starting PoE, is there a gwj clan? I think I could probably use someone to advise me through this, it's very cool, but seems... complicated.

Sure. Can you give me a character name to invite? Also, which league it is in. I can put out an invitation, and then when you log in, you get it.

The guild is kind of low key but we have some folks with extensive knowledge. They will usually respond if asked; be patient, though, the end-game types may be in the middle of a run and not able to reply quickly.

The character you pick determines your starting location in the traits tree. Traits modify your stats and skills. Skills come from gems. You place the gems in an object you have equipped, as long as the slot color matches the gem. (If you get items with white spots, those can use any gems - usually valuable.) Some gems, round ones, modify other gems in the same item, when their slots are connected.

So the character type tells you if you will generally be melee or magic, tank or glass cannon, etc. You'll probably want to pay attention to the stats; if a character starts with a lot of strength and low intelligence, you should probably not try to build it out with a lot of Blue gems that require intelligence. (Did I mention that gems level up with experience when they are slotted? I did not. But they do, and as they level, they require more points in the base stat. Which comes from traits.)

BTW, this game is *not* pick a character and respec forever. This is play the hand you get, and if you don't like it, sell the stuff you've accumulated that you don't want, bank the rest, and kill it. Start a new one. In this way, it is the polar opposite of Diablo.

Other than that, have fun! Watch for skill and trait symmetries and experiment with builds. Expect to make and kill lots of characters before you get really comfortable and start cranking out survivable ones. That's when the real game starts and gets you to the end game. And that's when the *next* phase of the game kicks in.

Welcome!

BTW, for others in the guild, Tycho has been on GWJ for a while now as a lurker, and my son knows him from other games, so he's good people.

heh, thanks to your son.
my current character is "Corran_Kelter" I actually made him right after launch but stopped playing because i had crap internet. tried playing him a bit but he's getting one shot by... well most non trash mobs.
i just made a templar(? the ex holy one) to try a more tanky spellcaster approach "Gavin_IronBlood",
I really like the idea of a near indestructible spell flinger so hopefully it'll work out.
both are in the normal league.

I would suggest starting one in the Betrayal League, to get in on the seasonal fun.

Finally popped my uber elder cherry with vortex cold snapper with about 13-15 ex worth of gear, based on purchase prices.

IMAGE(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/951850301352756039/24165E4782E15C648290FCDDD7D35FEB235AA56B/)

The character isn't even using a watcher's eye yet nevermind an expensive one. And the chest wasn't into expensive ES territory at 4 exalts for the 6 link chest.

Link to character: http://poe-profile.info/profile/fuzz...

Grats Fuzzball!

Was there a recent balance tweak or did I just hit a difficulty spike- I entered the final map of chapter 1 for the first time after the other day’s patch and suddenly I’m just melting to even normal mobs and blue or gold mobs are straight-up one-shotting me. I was practically breezing through the game until that point.

Check your resistances?

I'll see if my smooth sailing is suddenly choppy, Ruhk. But usually that's hitting stuff that messes with your weaknesses, as Spy said.

That’s a possibility- I didn’t really think about resistances since it was a sudden change between the two final maps of the zone. I breezed through everything in the Act up to that last map and it happened immediately after a patch. I’ll look into it.

Any word on a PS4 release date?

mindset.threat wrote:

Any word on a PS4 release date?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vi...

The finishing touches of the PlayStation 4 version are almost done, and we're going through the relevant certification and approval processes. It's looking very likely that it'll launch alongside 3.6.0, or even before it with a Beta. We'll let you know more information as we get it!

Thanks liquid

ruhk wrote:

That’s a possibility- I didn’t really think about resistances since it was a sudden change between the two final maps of the zone. I breezed through everything in the Act up to that last map and it happened immediately after a patch. I’ll look into it.

Under defense tab of your character, you want your fire, cold, lightning to be as close to 75% or higher at all times except for the opening Act. If they aren't you'll get destroyed quickly because the game escalates difficulty by lowering them by 30% at one point and another 30% later on. It's a pain in the ass to manage, but it's one of the metagames of gear management.

Huh. Good rule of thumb for me, that I didn’t know, and I’ve got a character or two that are going to suffer, apparently.