Path of Exile catch-all

Superjars and I play this still almost everyday. Is there interest in a GWJ mumble or something so we can all trade and group more easily? I realize that represents a slightly higher investment in the game than most people make, but I'm in with PoE for the forseeable future, and the idea of growing a gaming group for it appeals to me. Have 2 chars in Merciless one of whom is on maps already, and a ton on their way up. Message me: Tyreana, CPF_Tanky, Duggard or @Chesspieceface should all work.

So I have also had the urge to play with a group of guys, and am willing to start a new char to do so. I made this to help people meet up for play sessions. You just need the link to edit it. This week is no good for me because PAX but I will be offering up my time after. If you include your Char name, along with skype or steam to help contact for the meet up that would be swell. Theres a name dump section at the bottom. Check it out.

Jump on the GWJ ventrilo channel too when yer on too hook up with voice chat. There's a path of exile room on it.

Gave 4 exalts, 8 gcp (almost all my currency, only 2gcp 2 chaos left TT) for this baby http://i.imgur.com/CppU1Vz.jpg
My ranger is now ready for Act 3.

That's pretty insane.

jeez, now I feel so lame lol

liquid wrote:

Gave 4 exalts, 8 gcp (almost all my currency, only 2gcp 2 chaos left TT) for this baby http://i.imgur.com/CppU1Vz.jpg
My ranger is now ready for Act 3.

That's a great piece of gear there.

So, is there a way to get some guidance while running around the wilds, or is map exploration a crapshoot until you stumble upon what you're looking for?

liquid wrote:

Gave 4 exalts, 8 gcp (almost all my currency, only 2gcp 2 chaos left TT) for this baby http://i.imgur.com/CppU1Vz.jpg
My ranger is now ready for Act 3.

Help me understand why that piece is so great. Is it primarily the fact that it has 5 links?

Just look at the stats?

Copingsaw wrote:
liquid wrote:

Gave 4 exalts, 8 gcp (almost all my currency, only 2gcp 2 chaos left TT) for this baby http://i.imgur.com/CppU1Vz.jpg
My ranger is now ready for Act 3.

Help me understand why that piece is so great. Is it primarily the fact that it has 5 links?

5L was the main thing I was going for when browsing through the forums, this was by far the best I could find at the time that wasn't totally out of my reach. I think I even got it a bit cheaper than I should have.

5L + 100 life (which I think is the max, life is ultra important in HC) + dex and evasion. Sure, it could be even better with some more resists, but the 1994 evasion kind of compensates. I am maxed out on all my res but fire which is at 65, the only other res I need is chaos which I'm at -60, and that is quite a problem to have since I've already started doing maps.
I'll also be exalting it as soon as I have the currency to add one more suffix - hopefully chaos resist.

cyrax wrote:

Just look at the stats?

I did. It has 100 health which is great, but its not hard to roll 70+ health on items so its more of a bonus than a killer stat. The huge evasion is also nice but I'm of the understanding that evasion is considered a questionable stat since it has a bit of a luck factor to it and that can kill you in Hardcore. Of course, if your running with Iron Reflexes (and he probably is), it becomes much better. I know 5 links command a significant premium so I guess this is what drives the item from merely very good to premium.

Thanks for your detailed answer Liquid. I've got a couple characters in HC Act 2 and 3 Cruel so I'm no expert on high end items and was just trying to understand what made it so valuable.

Copingsaw wrote:
cyrax wrote:

Just look at the stats?

I did. It has 100 health which is great, but its not hard to roll 70+ health on items so its more of a bonus than a killer stat. The huge evasion is also nice but I'm of the understanding that evasion is considered a questionable stat since it has a bit of a luck factor to it and that can kill you in Hardcore. Of course, if your running with Iron Reflexes (and he probably is), it becomes much better. I know 5 links command a significant premium so I guess this is what drives the item from merely very good to premium.

Thanks for your detailed answer Liquid. I've got a couple characters in HC Act 2 and 3 Cruel so I'm no expert on high end items and was just trying to understand what made it so valuable.

Many characters take a passive that converts 100% of evasion to armor rating making that item worth 2000 armor before passives boost it. My elemental ranger has that passive, and so does most every similar character to mine.

That's huge. I was surprised at the value until he said hardcore. I can see easily how that item is worth that much in hardcore. If you have the resists he suggested on other items that chest would make you level 66 map ready for sure assuming your life is around 4k, which it probably is higher if he's hardcore and ready to map and bought a chest piece like that.

Also the 5L can be very difficult to obtain personally for non-pro players unless they get some luck. so that part is very valuable all alone without being attached to such awesome stats since many builds require a 5L before really being capable of mapping decently (again, my LA ranger, but i got super lucky and finally found my first white 5L at level 66 while farming the lvl 63 mini boss area. I then spent 10 chaos and an alch just to get halfway decent stats out of it, nowhere NEAR as good as the one linked above.

So, grats on your bargain hardcore chest piece dude:) I'm envious a lil bit, but my hardcore toons are just to level 27 and 32 so far.

Chesspieceface and myself have run three to five maps a night as a group of 2 the last several nights and will be running more tonight hopefully (that's the plan anyhow).

Anyone from GWJ more than welcome to join us.

We do maps to map creator and loot to name for currency and rares/uniques. (it doesn't actually show names anymore but it goes bright for the person that gets it and dim for the other guys for 2-3 seconds so...not hard) This works well since it's just private grouping without any pubbies.

We've been running lots of 66 maps trying to get 67s and 68s stocked up. We have several between us. Probably another 10 66 maps and we'll be moving up to 67s is my guess.

My IGN is Fuzzar. send me a friend request.

This is for default league.

3000 life and capped resists recommended so you don't go backwards in exp, but not required if you're a lil brave and a good player. Also recommend a granite flask.

Also up for leveling toons in hardcore GWJ grouping.

I'd love to, since I started doing maps myself (sadly, had to quit 2 at boss area because i couldn't kill them) but the lag would kill me when playing on NA servers.

Not being able to really play the good maps with some nice drops, I end up wasting my current small pool of maps, which is why I decided to start a new hero, a freeze pulse shadow. http://www.exilepro.com/builds/shado...

Anyone up for trading 1 exalted for my 5gcp? ^^

Fuzzballx wrote:

Chesspieceface and myself have run three to five maps a night as a group of 2 the last several nights and will be running more tonight hopefully (that's the plan anyhow).

Anyone from GWJ more than welcome to join us.

We do maps to map creator and loot to name for currency and rares/uniques. (it doesn't actually show names anymore but it goes bright for the person that gets it and dim for the other guys for 2-3 seconds so...not hard) This works well since it's just private grouping without any pubbies.

We've been running lots of 66 maps trying to get 67s and 68s stocked up. We have several between us. Probably another 10 66 maps and we'll be moving up to 67s is my guess.

My IGN is Fuzzar. send me a friend request.

This is for default league.

3000 life and capped resists recommended so you don't go backwards in exp, but not required if you're a lil brave and a good player. Also recommend a granite flask.

Also up for leveling toons in hardcore GWJ grouping.

I also run maps with these two and they are quite fun. It's been a busy week and I haven't been able to join in as much. I think running maps in a group is useful for the added survivability of having people around, making them more successful and easier to do.

I am enjoying trying out new characters and seeing all the new stuff that is available each week. I'm looking forward to the three new support gems coming late next Tuesday (my time), and have enjoyed playing around with Cyclone and Arctic Armor (haven't played with Incinerate yet).

superjars wrote:

I also run maps with these two and they are quite fun. It's been a busy week and I haven't been able to join in as much. I think running maps in a group is useful for the added survivability of having people around, making them more successful and easier to do.

Also useful because you get more map drops for the map summoner thus hopefully allowing us to build up maps and not run out:)

Done, exalted the chest. Gave me +35% fire resistance, which is what I needed (I had 65% before that, really need more than 75% for maps). The only better roll would have been +35 chaos, imo. But it's ok, I have Chaos Resistance flask.

I would love to join you higher levels, but that involves quite a bit of time commitment from someone still in the later stages of Act 2. The bigger issue though, has been the game's saving system and my internet. My connection will occasionally dip or lose the signal for a few seconds, which a lot of online games can't handle. So, there's been almost a dozen instances where I put 30min to an 1hr into PoE without reaching a waypoint, so I lose all that progress (not items and xp). It's very dull and frustrating to go through content again even if you're avoiding mobs.

cyrax wrote:

I would love to join you higher levels, but that involves quite a bit of time commitment from someone still in the later stages of Act 2. The bigger issue though, has been the game's saving system and my internet. My connection will occasionally dip or lose the signal for a few seconds, which a lot of online games can't handle. So, there's been almost a dozen instances where I put 30min to an 1hr into PoE without reaching a waypoint, so I lose all that progress (not items and xp). It's very dull and frustrating to go through content again even if you're avoiding mobs.

This may not be the game for you considering farming and grinding the same areas over and over is what the game is ALL about:) lol. Even in maps. You do the same maps dozens of times.

Getting set back a dozen times while progressing shoudl just be a chance for you to find and save up some more currency...

The person who can beat the game without ever repeating some areas quite a few times for leveling up is rare indeed.

We've been using Skype but if there's broader interest Fuzz, Jars and I can start hanging in GWJ'er vent for people to congregate. I'd like to know a lot of people who are playing for a variety of reasons.

I got and made upgrades last week and then today. Feelin pretty powerful now on my main toon:

I found this as a white item with 5L in the level 63 zone off the miniboss and alched it and chaosed it 10 times to get to this which is quite decent:

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img46/5476/93620361.jpg)

I bought this this morning for 2.5ish GCP with 1 socket and have made it 6 sockets but not succeeded in 5 or 6 linking it yet:

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img248/4590/42188428.jpg)

I found this +20 onyx white ilvl 68 this morning and alched it and chaosed it 5 times to get this awesome sweetness:

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img705/7840/17665122.jpg)

The loot thing should help those who had issues with that before, I'm glad that's being addressed. I never had issues with it, also the new skills sound pretty badass, I will be jumping in agin with a friend this summer once these online classes I'm taking end.

Fuzzballx wrote:

So, for folks who may or may not have been paying lots of attention lately but still have an interest, lots of updates been going on to the game since release.

New skill and support gems have been added to the game, a couple days ago 3 new notable melee supports including multistrike, melee splash which have turned the entire melee side of the house on it's head completely.

Do not use multistrike with flicker strike if you are subject to motion sickness or epilepsy. Otherwise, holy hell these look fun but i don't hve a multistrike yet.

For those with pvp interests, it looks like cutthroat leagues or league races are gonna be happening. Full pvp with full loot basically. Talk about cutthroat racing...lol.

New microtransaction shop stuff keeps getting added, AND they now have a daily special where they put one shop effect a day on sale for a big (over 50% so far i think every day) discount. very cool. Today is the etheral stars alternate effect on sale for only 15 coins for example.

Lots of new uniques keep getting added, and wonder of wonders i'm finding some of them. I found a couple of newer armor uniques even the last 2 days including:

IMAGE(http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9906/30076811.jpg)

which looks like it's gonna be really fun with a ice crit build.

In the area of looting, it's easier to grab loot randomly assigned to you (timer lengthened post open beta launch) and lots of groups run publicly even in end game maps with the codes "M2M and L2N" in the party title. These mean: Maps to Me and Loot to Name. Of course, no name is listed, but the general idea is, maps go the map creator and loot goes to who it gets randomly assigned to...and party leaders tend to aggressively kick folks who ninja stuff. So apparently a chunk of the community is managing to play just fine with the loot system the way it is and police itself. Folks seem to do fine with it. I've been in many mapping groups like this and they went off without an issue.

Aura's got changed up to be less overpowering on a screen full of them and cause much less graphics lag. Auras got very simplified instead of making your whole screen go multicolored so you couldn't see anything in a full party.

Anyhow, just encouraging folks to take another look if you meandered away from the game shortly after open beta launch. The game is goin places quickly with content and fixes being added in weekly patches.

\\

Fuzz,

Worth jumping in and starting a new character from scratch - I loved my time with it, but have been playing other stuff.

So, for folks who may or may not have been paying lots of attention lately but still have an interest, lots of updates been going on to the game since release.

New skill and support gems have been added to the game, a couple days ago 3 new notable melee supports including multistrike, melee splash which have turned the entire melee side of the house on it's head completely.

Do not use multistrike with flicker strike if you are subject to motion sickness or epilepsy. Otherwise, holy hell these look fun but i don't hve a multistrike yet.

For those with pvp interests, it looks like cutthroat leagues or league races are gonna be happening. Full pvp with full loot basically. Talk about cutthroat racing...lol.

New microtransaction shop stuff keeps getting added, AND they now have a daily special where they put one shop effect a day on sale for a big (over 50% so far i think every day) discount. very cool. Today is the etheral stars alternate effect on sale for only 15 coins for example.

Lots of new uniques keep getting added, and wonder of wonders i'm finding some of them. I found a couple of newer armor uniques even the last 2 days including:

IMAGE(http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2157/20800255.png)

which looks like it's gonna be really fun with a ice crit build.

In the area of looting, it's easier to grab loot randomly assigned to you (timer lengthened post open beta launch) and lots of groups run publicly even in end game maps with the codes "M2M and L2N" in the party title. These mean: Maps to Me and Loot to Name. Of course, no name is listed, but the general idea is, maps go the map creator and loot goes to who it gets randomly assigned to...and party leaders tend to aggressively kick folks who ninja stuff. So apparently a chunk of the community is managing to play just fine with the loot system the way it is and police itself. Folks seem to do fine with it. I've been in many mapping groups like this and they went off without an issue.

Aura's got changed up to be less overpowering on a screen full of them and cause much less graphics lag. Auras got very simplified instead of making your whole screen go multicolored so you couldn't see anything in a full party.

Anyhow, just encouraging folks to take another look if you meandered away from the game shortly after open beta launch. The game is goin places quickly with content and fixes being added in weekly patches.

I totally image failed on my post lol, damn imageshack, i'll get it right.

edit: correct image now in above post of mine...i'm looking foward to building a character using icetomb.

SpyNavy wrote:

Fuzz,

Worth jumping in and starting a new character from scratch - I loved my time with it, but have been playing other stuff.

Lemme know if you wanna start a toon from scratch soon, i'll start a new one with ya on default or hardcore. Got lots i wanna build.

I am also still playing this game, its just so well designed. I got my first HC character to merciless, a ethereal knives shadow build. He is a bit of a glass cannon, fun to play but living on the edge in merciless. I've got him running ledge for drops. I've been working lately on a dual totem witch, which was difficult to get used to but now I am enjoying. She is currently in act 3 cruel. I have 3 other characters also in HC act 3 cruel but they have bogged down a bit. Melee is difficult to play, perhaps some of the new support gems can help them out.

Copingsaw wrote:

I am also still playing this game, its just so well designed. I got my first HC character to merciless, a ethereal knives shadow build. He is a bit of a glass cannon, fun to play but living on the edge in merciless. I've got him running ledge for drops. I've been working lately on a dual totem witch, which was difficult to get used to but now I am enjoying. She is currently in act 3 cruel. I have 3 other characters also in HC act 3 cruel but they have bogged down a bit. Melee is difficult to play, perhaps some of the new support gems can help them out.

That's awesome dude, my multiple HC toons are still in normal mode but 1 is ready to advance to cruel.

I'm surprised your EK build is a glass cannon, those are usually built really tanky with very high life. I'd be interested in seeing your build.

Add Fuzzar to your friends in game if you would:)

Fuzzballx wrote:

I'm surprised your EK build is a glass cannon, those are usually built really tanky with very high life. I'd be interested in seeing your build.

Here is my build.

He currently has about 2,000 health and 250 base energy shield and I've taken 14 health nodes out of 70 total passive skill points. Energy shield goes way up when I run discipline. Health isn't huge but I think its decent for this point of progression. The reason why I say he is a glass cannon is more related to other issues. First, there aren't a lot of nodes I can pick up to help with resistances so I'm stuck stacking resistances on gear, which has forced me to make some sacrifices. Second, and more importantly, is that I've taken very few energy shield/evasion nodes and zero armor nodes. They just aren't readily available on my tree. As a result, my evasion is like 15% and armor reduction like 7%. Running grace I can boost evasion up close to 30%. This means that I get hit pretty often and when I do get hit it can really hurt.

On the other hand, this guy hits like a mack truck. Very fun build to play. Ethereal knives can wipe out packs in an instant and my two bear traps demolish bosses. My biggest fear is killing myself on reflect physical damage packs. I've almost done it several times.

That's pretty different from how i've seen EK done and how i'm working on mine, who is only level 27 atm. Mine is a marauder start though.

There's a few things i think you might be misunderstanding. For example you take a attack speed node right by shadow start. That does nothing for your EK, i would drop it. EK is a spel, so it only works off cast speed and can't be affected by attack speed or by auras or buffs that apply damage or effects to attacks because it's a spell, physical damage, projectiles skill.

Don't get tied down to thinking you need to or even should neccessarily stay in your starting area. Great builds often hit 3 completely different starting nodes by the time they're done and some go halfway or more around the whole tree on the outside for key nodes.

If what yer doin is working, i'm the last one to tell you to change it, but i'll throw this in to maybe give you some ideas.

There is a shadow EK hydrid tank build (what i'd call yours) on exilepro designed for hardcore that has some similarities. You should check it out to maybe get some ideas on changes you may or may not wanna try.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...

One of the things about EK is it scales really well with just skill gems and you don't have to invest a lot of points in damage passives letting you build super tanky passives instead. So you can live and tank with EK up to high levels. Hydrid shadow EK is definitely viable, but i'd look at investing in some restructuring to get more survivability before progressing further. Hate to see you die to Vaal cause a rock 1 shots you or something. It can happen with your life numbers.

It's hard to find many high level hardcore characters that crit....most of the ones that have tried, died young.

The only thing for sure is evasion aint great unless converted to armor.

I would think you could prolly do a ES/armor build if you want and not use any evasion gear, but your armor will suffer, making things like titty bitches a real death threat. You really need lots of armor since you have to stand still, not to far from mobs to kill them. A couple titty bitches will ruin your day without high armor.