NCAA Football 2011 (Safe to criticize the BCS and SEC) Catch-All

The whole nation is not the SEC. Not all NCAA football fans think the BCS is fine. This is a safe thread in which we can discuss football without being blasted by SEC and BCS partisans.

Woohoo! December 4th, and the SEC just won another national championship!

Honestly, though, I don't think it should have been a rematch. I think it's a cop-out by all the people involved in voting/deciding. It'll not get as much negative press as a 3-team mess where one deserving team gets left out, but it should be another big negative toward this crappy system we have now. I personally would have loved LSU versus OSU. That's the game I'm going to wish we had. I think the plane crash really did have a negative affect on OSU, and it does not seem like anyone who had the power to correct the voting mistake had the balls (or other body parts) to vote the way they should have to make that happen.

I'll kick this off. First off, obviously not happy about the BCS news. That matchup has been decided. LSU won. I feel like we've done this so many times. This is worse than when Nebraska played for the title instead of Oregon after losing their conference championship.

Secondly, it was kind of sad to see the PAC-12 championship. Weird sport we have where the Ducks beat a .500 team for the championship and confetti rained on them. I was embarrassed for west coast football.

Finally, wtf is this? I think BSU got jobbed by the BCS because of these unis.

IMAGE(http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1858171)

DSGamer wrote:

I'll kick this off. First off, obviously not happy about the BCS news. That matchup has been decided. LSU won. I feel like we've done this so many times. This is worse than when Nebraska played for the title instead of Oregon after losing their conference championship.

Secondly, it was kind of sad to see the PAC-12 championship. Weird sport we have where the Ducks beat a 500 team for the championship and confetti rained on them. I was embarrassed for west coast football.

Finally, wtf is this? I think BSU got jobbed by the BCS because of these unis.

IMAGE(http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1858171)

Nah, it's the blue field...

I'll subscribe to any thread DSG starts.

Yep, the BCS is suboptimal. Yep, I wish we had a playoff. Yep, if Alabama loses, everyone will say that it should have been OSU. Honestly, on a couple different levels, I'd rather see LSU vs. OSU, too.

but...

I'd just like to point out that the AP picks its own champion... and the AP poll has absolutely nothing to do with the BCS... and yet the AP also says that Alabama is the second-best team in the country. Obviously, this was another voting mistake, right?

This is the thread where it's supposed to be okay to complain about these things without pre-emptive strikes from SEC fans. Seriously, it's just football.

On Topic: What's the scenario most likely to make the BCS look ridiculous this year? Alabama winning? LSU winning 9-6 again while OSU kills it? The question is partly rhetorical since this kind of stuff happens so frequently and the BCS is still around.

Also, I'm still seriously confused how BSU got overlooked for any BCS game at their ranking.

EDIT: Just saw this. Saban apparently voted Oklahoma State #4. :(. Nice system.

The coaches poll to me is the least reliable. For one they are going to favor their own team, that's just human nature. But they don't watch many football games except for their own and opponents. For instance, the Stanford coach had his team third ahead of Oklahoma State. How many OSU games do you think he watched? Air Force's coach voted OSU fifth! How is that even possible?

I saw an interview last year I think where a coach described how his voting went. First was what was in his team's best interests and the rest was practically throwing darts at a board.

So yeah, great system.

I hate this matchup BUT I have to say if BAMA wins then they are the NC. Since it is the NC game, then the winner is it no matter what happened during the regular season.

Now I'm going to go watch the other college football division playoffs.

If Bama beats LSU then logically they would have to play a 3rd time to really settle things... I'm certain this will happen right? no system can be that stupid? right?

I'm still trying to figure out how Va. Tech got an invite to the Sugar Bowl after Clemson waxed them not once but twice.

TheGameguru wrote:

If Bama beats LSU then logically they would have to play a 3rd time to really settle things... I'm certain this will happen right? no system can be that stupid? right?

Yes. Play it the next day while they still have the stadium ready and the camera crews there.

But that's staring to sound like a playoff an we can't have that. Tradition and all.

Coolbeans wrote:

The coaches poll to me is the least reliable. For one they are going to favor their own team, that's just human nature. But they don't watch many football games except for their own and opponents. For instance, the Stanford coach had his team third ahead of Oklahoma State. How many OSU games do you think he watched? Air Force's coach voted OSU fifth! How is that even possible?

I saw an interview last year I think where a coach described how his voting went. First was what was in his team's best interests and the rest was practically throwing darts at a board.

So yeah, great system.

In most cases, its not even the coach that casts the vote...its the Sports Information Director. Whatever the hell that is.

mindset.threat wrote:
Coolbeans wrote:

The coaches poll to me is the least reliable. For one they are going to favor their own team, that's just human nature. But they don't watch many football games except for their own and opponents. For instance, the Stanford coach had his team third ahead of Oklahoma State. How many OSU games do you think he watched? Air Force's coach voted OSU fifth! How is that even possible?

I saw an interview last year I think where a coach described how his voting went. First was what was in his team's best interests and the rest was practically throwing darts at a board.

So yeah, great system.

In most cases, its not even the coach that casts the vote...its the Sports Information Director. Whatever the hell that is.

I've known people in that role (I played D3 football). It's basically someone who does press releases, handles the website, talks to media, etc. So yeah, often times the voting isn't even done by the coach. Not sure who is the less reliable voter, but still...

Seems like a coach would be pretty busy all day Saturday. How much time did you have to catch other games when you played?

i38warhawk wrote:

Seems like a coach would be pretty busy all day Saturday. How much time did you have to catch other games when you played?

You wouldn't. You'd have an opinion on teams in your conference or teams you played and that's about it. The coaches poll never made sense. But it makes even less sense as part of how you calculate the teams that will play in the BCS Championship game.