Terraria

I had quite a bit of fun with the Golem my strategy was to

Spoiler:

collect all the traps in the temple and concentrate them into the corner of the golem chamber. Then hook them all up to a switch on the other side of the wall, activate the altar, get behind the wall and spam the switch over and over. It was pretty funny to watch it get just melted by the traps. The lasers messed me up a bit but I had enough defense to hold through them while he died. About 65-70 defense and a couple greater healing potions.

edit: grinding for the magnet sphere again. I got a paladin shield drop and I was pretty excited. Then I got 3 more paladin shield's and 2 armor polish... and 3 keybrands... No magnet sphere yet.
Yesterday I got an Inferno Fork. This thing is awesome especially with added crit chance, it just shreds stuff.

edit: I finally took the time out to make an actual home instead of just using the "build as needed" stronghold style. I'm pretty satisfied with it http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...

Now that the NPC hotel has fully automated trap defenses I don't have to worry about them so much either.

Made a small upgrade to the clubhouse. I rigged up a heart statue with a repeater right by the bed. So if you die and respawn you immediately get some health back.

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

I had quite a bit of fun with the Golem my strategy was to

Spoiler:

collect all the traps in the temple and concentrate them into the corner of the golem chamber. Then hook them all up to a switch on the other side of the wall, activate the altar, get behind the wall and spam the switch over and over. It was pretty funny to watch it get just melted by the traps. The lasers messed me up a bit but I had enough defense to hold through them while he died. About 65-70 defense and a couple greater healing potions.

edit: grinding for the magnet sphere again. I got a paladin shield drop and I was pretty excited. Then I got 3 more paladin shield's and 2 armor polish... and 3 keybrands... No magnet sphere yet.
Yesterday I got an Inferno Fork. This thing is awesome especially with added crit chance, it just shreds stuff.

edit: I finally took the time out to make an actual home instead of just using the "build as needed" stronghold style. I'm pretty satisfied with it http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...

Now that the NPC hotel has fully automated trap defenses I don't have to worry about them so much either.

Neat fireplace! I like that design idea.

I beat the golem the same way I beat all bosses now, hit them with the piranha and just fly in a circle.

Oh man Spectre gear is awesome. Hurray for not having to wait on potion sickness CD!

With Roo's help I added the Jungle Temple to the teleporter network. So if you need an item from the boss getting there is a snap.

Tamren wrote:

With Roo's help I added the Jungle Temple to the teleporter network. So if you need an item from the boss getting there is a snap.

But there's only so many batteries, right? Are there any left?

They drop randomly while in the dungeon, you can also loot them from other worlds. Roo needed help because his singleplayer world didn't have an altar.

Wow, I'm impressed by the Shroomite armor. It has only 5 less Armor than Chlorophyte with the helmet. It's a ranged armor, so you can be a ranged spec and have close to the armor of a melee spec.

Well I soloed the Destroyer 3 times in one night, I guess that's probably doing okay.

On to the Twins next, I expect them to be a bit tougher though...

I finally got my Magnet Sphere. It's pretty awesome.
It's amazing for farming the emblems from the Wall of Flesh as it kills it in around 20 seconds.

Redwing wrote:

Well I soloed the Destroyer 3 times in one night, I guess that's probably doing okay.

On to the Twins next, I expect them to be a bit tougher though...

Assuming you make arenas for these kinds of fights...

Spoiler:

There's no escaping the need for a sky highway...RUN BABY RUN...and you'll be fine

Roo wrote:
Redwing wrote:

Well I soloed the Destroyer 3 times in one night, I guess that's probably doing okay.

On to the Twins next, I expect them to be a bit tougher though...

Assuming you make arenas for these kinds of fights...

Spoiler:

There's no escaping the need for a sky highway...RUN BABY RUN...and you'll be fine

I don't generally make arenas, but I've caved in for the Hardmode bosses. My arena for the Destroyer fight was a screen length grid of wooden platforms interspersed with ropes. It... didn't work all that well, but the Destroyer ended up being a lot easier than I expected, so it wasn't really an issue (my Poison Staff and Nimbus Rod did the bulk of the work).

Part of me is tempted to just use a gravitation potion for the Twins and just fight them in the sky. It worked well for my Wall of Flesh fight, but damn that new screen flip it does now completely messes with my head.

New Version: HALLOWEEN IS HERE (there seems to be lots of new stuff...spoilered in case you want it all to be a surprise, but i can tell you it's not all listed...)

(also, GWJ Server needs the update...)

Spoiler tags because it lists new stuff, so if you don't want to know...

1.2.1

Spoiler:

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue causing walls to not have different frames (Thanks Solsund!)
Fixed an issue with world saves being larger than they should (Thanks Solsund!)
Frozen Slime blocks are now craftable
You can no longer reforge Music Boxes
You can no longer place Campfires in water
Palladium, Orichalcum, and Titanium bricks now show correctly on the map
Placed Lihzahrd Brick Walls now show correctly on the map
Fixed a bug that would prevent Pirates from spawning
Titanstone Block now correctly blends with dirt
Fixed several typos
Minimap now draws over enemy health bars
Walls now correctly draw behind Super Dart Traps
Eater's Bone now correctly drops from the Eater of Worlds
Adjusted mannequin layering to draw armors correctly
Changes
Mice can no longer be killed by monsters
Mice can no longer spawn in hell
Magma Stone will no longer show a fire effect for non melee weapons
Floaty Gross now cause weakness and drop Vitamins
Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects
Crimson and Hallow now counteract each other
Reduces the chance for a mechanical boss summon to drop during hardmode
Hardmode Dungeon Keys must now be crafted from rare drops
Pygmy Staff has had its damage increased slightly
Updated female armor sprites
Added messages to help the player progress in hardmode
Reduced chance for a Dungeon Spirit to drop
Spectre Armor now requires Chlorophyte Bars to craft
Ghost Wings now need 10 ectoplasm to craft
Spectre Armor now only heals for 8% instead of 10%
Additions
Added Pumpkin Tiles and Walls
Added Hay Tiles and Walls
Added Spooky Wood Tiles and Walls
Added Goodie Bags that drop from most monsters during Halloween
Added new Pumpkin Moon event that will be available all year
Added new Halloween themed pets
Added new Halloween themed costumes
Added new Halloween themed paintings
Added new Halloween themed weapons and armor
Several common enemies will now be in costumes
Hearts and Stars have been replaced with something more festive
Several friendly NPCs will sell costumes
Dryad will now sell Pumpkin Seeds year round
Merchant will now sell an item to harvest hay during Halloween
Pumpkins will grow on their own during Halloween
Added new decorative items craftable from Pumpkins and Spooky Wood

Roo wrote:

Hardmode Dungeon Keys must now be crafted from rare drops

Well that's a relief! I'm only at 2/3 keys and I'm feeling the burn.

Now to figure out how to make them

Tamren wrote:
Roo wrote:

Hardmode Dungeon Keys must now be crafted from rare drops

Well that's a relief! I'm only at 2/3 keys and I'm feeling the burn.

Now to figure out how to make them :D

Spoiler:

from rare items that drop in that area, i believe....

Yes I know, I did see one new thing I didn't recognize but unfortunately my inventory was full and it fell into lava... hope that wasn't one of them.

EDIT: So... after seeing nothing new on the key front I went and looked it up. It used to be that the keys were a flat 1 in 4000 chance drop off of anything in the right biome. Now what happens is a mold drops which you combine with boss souls to craft one new key. Essentially they just added some busywork to the process instead of giving you the key directly. I guess one reason they did this was that the molds seem to be much larger and it's harder to miss it if it drops.

All these new costumes are fun! Still exploring the new Halloween content, haven't found much yet other than the pumpkins.

Happy Halloween (this is on the GWJ server, west of the main house, past Tamren's death machine...). And yes, sorry to spoil the Unicorn Costume with Butterfly Wings but...

Had to be done.

IMAGE(http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/559863671729843608/BDCBB0563FDBF76F469C8ED036FD1F88664EC647/)

Very nice Roo. I like all the "art" we're making on the GWJ server.

Woohoo I finally found a pyramid AND.......

Spoiler:

All I found was this freaking Pharaoh costume. Damnit.

Me and Roo tried out the new Halloween boss event and holy crap it's hard. The event is wave based and the more monsters you defeat the higher the wave number gets. Past a certain point you start to fight boss monsters and they have increased drop rates on higher waves.

Would anyone be interested in getting a group together? At least 4 of us, with good endgame armour and weapons.

Tamren wrote:

Me and Roo tried out the new Halloween boss event and holy crap it's hard. The event is wave based and the more monsters you defeat the higher the wave number gets. Past a certain point you start to fight boss monsters and they have increased drop rates on higher waves.

Would anyone be interested in getting a group together? At least 4 of us, with good endgame armour and weapons.

Yep.

I did the Halloween boss event a couple times with my brother. I think setting up an arena would make it much easier. Especially with things like lava pits (remember that really shallow ones won't destroy the loot) and traps. Fighting near my base helped for a little but the pumpkinking went through the base. It did not end well for everyone.

Queueball wrote:

I did the Halloween boss event a couple times with my brother. I think setting up an arena would make it much easier. Especially with things like lava pits (remember that really shallow ones won't destroy the loot) and traps. Fighting near my base helped for a little but the pumpkinking went through the base. It did not end well for everyone.

You should see the crazy lava pit, 50 traps, scary-ass arena Tamren set up. We just were not doing enough damage to the main boss, who ignores such silly things as traps and lava. He found my piranha gun amusing. And my kiting him with it for 5 minutes "ticklish".

The traps and lava deal with the little stuff just fine, it's the bosses that are the problem. I think if we use the Tank/Healer/DPS endgame armour we can pull it off. The tank can distract the boss, the healer can deal magic damage and buff the rest of us, and the DPS can focus on taking down the boss as quickly as possible. The rest of the smaller creatures we can leave for the traps.

I'm not sure what shape to make the arena. A big open space with platforms would probably work the best.

Tamren wrote:

The traps and lava deal with the little stuff just fine, it's the bosses that are the problem. I think if we use the Tank/Healer/DPS endgame armour we can pull it off. The tank can distract the boss, the healer can deal magic damage and buff the rest of us, and the DPS can focus on taking down the boss as quickly as possible. The rest of the smaller creatures we can leave for the traps.

I'm not sure what shape to make the arena. A big open space with platforms would probably work the best.

I think you need a few side shooting spike traps and a move the pit down a few blocks so enemies go in and cant get out. They need to die faster and we can focus on the bosses.

Or build one of these, with the sides open for the mobs.

That wouldn't be too hard to set up. So, a pyramid with a flat recessed top. Dart traps to either end with a lava floor. The lava deals with the small stuff just fine but the bigger enemies float off the ground, so the darts will help with that. We can add some ball traps too, but not a solid ceiling of them like I tried last time. If there are no gaps we can't attack through them, plus that many traps can be redundant because you can only damage them so fast.

Oh and a bed of course. I'm also thinking of moving the heart and star statues over to recharge and heal us. That crystal ball I set up by the tree actually gives a +magic buff when you click on it, and we should also get the right buff potions going.

New patch today.

Bug Fixes:

You can no longer see enemy players on the map during PvP
Jack ‘O Lanterns no longer show up as Chandeliers on the map
Costumed Zombies will no longer open doors on non bloodmoon nights
Costumed Demon Eyes will now correctly leave at night
Rifle Scope now works with Candy Corn Rifle and Stake Launcher
Rifle Scope no longer zooms when moused over interactable objects
Added save file validation before overwriting previous worlds (to prevent file corruption)
Fixed a bug that was causing monsters to only show one debuff on multiplayer
Changed the requirement for the demolitionist to sell land mines to defeating Plantera
Fixed a bug that could cause aggro reduction to not work correctly
Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll
Flame and Frozen wings now fade when stealthed
Monsters that transform now correctly keep their debuffs
Ice Staff will now trigger Spectre’s set bonus
Actuators no longer work on doors
You can no longer teleport into the jungle temple
Added some checks to ensure multiple NPCs of the same type don’t spawn
Improved tile handling performance (Thanks Solsund!)
Bat Hook now correctly drops from Goodie Bags
Witch Doctor now correctly sells cauldrons during Halloween
You can now correctly step up all types of platforms
Opening a chest can no longer grab items from it automatically on a small screen
Water Fountains are now sold after defeating Plantera
Using Rod of Discord near the end of the map will no longer cause you to crash

Changes:

Using the Rod of Discord now gives a debuff that takes life when it’s used again
There is now a buff icon for campfire and water candle
Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface
The Destroyer is now immune to all debuffs
Some enemies will no longer chase players depending on level of stealth and distance
Shroomite Armor no longer loses stealth when using items
Critical Strike increase on accessory reforges have been doubled
Tabi and Master Ninja gear now bring the player to full speed instead of stopping
Piranha Gun now hits monsters more times per second

New Items:

Heart Lanterns are now craftable out of Life Crystals

Sniper Scope is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Sparkfrost Boots are now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Jellyfish Diving Gear is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Arctic Diving Gear is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Fart in a Balloon is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Papyrus Scarab is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Celestial Stone is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Hoverboard is now craftable from Shroomite

New Music:

A new track has been added for the Pumpkin Moon Event

What exactly does this entail, "Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface" ?

Also, the rope to Hell was a great idea,

The intentions were good, anyway.