Terraria

So I moved my solo world into Hard Mode and, to be honest, I've struggled a bit.

The Corruption is quite a bit more aggressive. Basically, my world is now just Corruption and The Hallow.

Has anyone beaten any Hard Mode bosses solo? I've tried to beat all three and I can't come close.

Hoping to get some tips.

CrawlingChaos wrote:

So I moved my solo world into Hard Mode and, to be honest, I've struggled a bit.

The Corruption is quite a bit more aggressive. Basically, my world is now just Corruption and The Hallow.

Has anyone beaten any Hard Mode bosses solo? I've tried to beat all three and I can't come close.

Hoping to get some tips.

I got very close to beating the Destroyer, I could actually survive against him by using as many defensive accessories as I could, as well as a full set of melee focused adamantite armour. I used the Dao of Pow which got a lot of hits against his many segments.

I nearly had him down, under 1000 health (I think he starts with around 28k), when the sun came up and he shot back underground. It demoralised me enough that I haven't tried since.

I think I could probably survive against him with a few less defensive accessories so I might try again sometime with some more offensive ones equipped.

EriktheRed wrote:
WizKid wrote:

We ready to take the multiplayer world Hard-mode yet?

I'm ready when others are.

Most of the existing corruption areas have been walled off, but of course there's always the risk that a corruptor will cause problems. And of course, I don't fully understand the rules for corruptions spreading underground. A large chunk of ground near the spawn should be safe though, so I would recommend trying to keep the hallow out of it as well. We could seed a little bit below-ground for farming souls if you're interested--I saw a neat technique involving meteorite and farming the weak meteor-heads that show up. I'll set up some farming areas next time I'm on.

I suppose we should probably secure one of the Demon altars near the base, so that we don't break it by accident. There's one just under the base, a little to the west of the hellevator. Also, there's a large set of demon altars (6-10 of them) to the west, in the corruption area.

Also, Erik's space station is probably going to be wyvern central.

And the MP world is in pretty good shape. I haven't checked the Hell layer lately though, but the above-ground areas are moderately well protected now. Pick and day/time and I'd be up for hardmode.

So, not having internet for 10 months at home, I just now updated Terraria. I've created a new world, gone to all the normal places except hell. I understand things will change quite a bit once I kill the boss to enter hardmode.

Any tips? Do I need to create a more fortified/protected house? Should I take anything valuable out of the small house I made for this version 1.1.2 world?

I keep the majority of my equipment in the world where I have a huge garden/green house. The one with the cool inverted pyramid and stuff back many, many pages by now...

Should I just go for it, or do I need some kind of moat or whatever around the house?

So for all the kids out there that just picked up Terraria in the Steam Summer Sale, I'm going to be hosting a server that will be up often. I can't promise 24/7, but I'll try.

IP: 70.66.17.68:7777
No Password.
Medium world. If people request I make a large one I will, but I dislike the long long dig to hell on large maps.
The spawn point is me and my girlfriend's house, though you clip into the floor a bit right now.

Delerat wrote:

So for all the kids out there that just picked up Terraria in the Steam Summer Sale, I'm going to be hosting a server that will be up often. I can't promise 24/7, but I'll try.

How noob-friendly is it (the game, and your server)? I haven't played a single minute of this game, but apparently I bought it at some point, so I suppose I should try it.

There's not really a failure state that I've found so just have fun figuring stuff out.

It's pretty easy to pick up from scratch, but there's also a lot of content if you keep digging. Pun!

Nicholaas wrote:
Delerat wrote:

So for all the kids out there that just picked up Terraria in the Steam Summer Sale, I'm going to be hosting a server that will be up often. I can't promise 24/7, but I'll try.

How noob-friendly is it (the game, and your server)? I haven't played a single minute of this game, but apparently I bought it at some point, so I suppose I should try it.

Depends how you make your character.

I think it goes:
Normal - Drop coins when you die
Hard - Drop items when you die
Hardcore - Dead forever

My server will be no different than others, and when you spawn in you'll have a little safe haven in my house once I get it secured. I'm online right now if anyone wants help learning. It doesn't have the most intuitive interface, much like minecraft, but wikis and other players can ease you in.

How does one speed up the night cycles? I'm just chillin in my little home waiting for day to come.

Yippee! I built my first house in Terraria and installed two doors. I'm a handyman!

Strangeblades wrote:

How does one speed up the night cycles? I'm just chillin in my little home waiting for day to come.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, you cannot speed up the night cycle. Usually I pick this as the best time to go mining when I don't want to deal with zombies and eyeballs.

Terraria is all my childhood Lego adventures come to life! I love it! Minus the zombies and flying eyeballs of course. That came later.

Another yippee! I survived my first night outside with my badass copper broadsword of badassnessness.

Strangeblades wrote:

How does one speed up the night cycles? I'm just chillin in my little home waiting for day to come.

Go underground.

It is also possible to use the terreriaserver.exe that comes with it to launch your world that way. It gives you access to a command line that will let you change the time of day.

You can do this by running the game windowed and having the command line available.

I know I've been popping in and out, but I still have not seen a great chunk of the "new" content. I've joined on a few community worlds but they tend to be at the pace of the highest level person. Does anyone want to do a coop only world, preferably on weekday nights once a while, no outside progression.

Weekday EST nights, some sort of semi regular thing

Does the large version of worlds go on forever? Do they cycle back? Does jumping off the roof of my house really suck?

IMAGE(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ujyK1xGCS4E/UBVVD-z92zI/AAAAAAAAAes/nlSMQtusLMw/s343/Capture2.PNG)

IMAGE(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m1ICeDmiXAI/UBVVDz4wM-I/AAAAAAAAAew/AIC9BMhXl08/s511/Capture3.PNG)

It sure does.

Also I went exploring and this happened.

IMAGE(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LGmCPzqiEYQ/UBVVD8wGN1I/AAAAAAAAAe0/1nejmrE_TJ8/s360/Capture4.PNG)

Talk about a tight spot.

Yeah, I forgot. Christmas came early this year.

IMAGE(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4ljBMZC_E1U/UBVVEGC5B9I/AAAAAAAAAfI/gmgciwHHVcQ/s258/Capture7.PNG)

But then I visited the desert right next to Christmas and bam. Sand sure falls a lot.

IMAGE(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iq5tYsIFgu0/UBVVD0EGMyI/AAAAAAAAAfA/yspSiNkIQSY/s152/Capture5.PNG)

And zombies sure jump a lot.

IMAGE(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6E1eVFK1-3Q/UBVVEG1NG3I/AAAAAAAAAe8/yDKf4aegdXk/s278/Capture6.PNG)

Every world size is defined at the start, no looping, no foreverness. Ocean on both sides, the fiery depths of hell underneath.

I've run MacTerraria for a while, but I just started playing in any type of substantial way. Just made my first iron chestpiece and my first golden sword. Am I supposed to go left and right?... because I've been going down. A lot.

I wish I could play MP, but the mac wrapper crashes every time you try to connect. There is no easy way that I've found to rum MP games.

JillSammich wrote:

I've run MacTerraria for a while, but I just started playing in any type of substantial way. Just made my first iron chestpiece and my first golden sword. Am I supposed to go left and right?... because I've been going down. A lot.

I wish I could play MP, but the mac wrapper crashes every time you try to connect. There is no easy way that I've found to rum MP games.

There are other biomes you can run into if you head to the left or the right. They will have special materials and monsters that will only spawn there. The map is bookended by beaches and oceans. There is also the jungle biome, snow biome, and the dungeon. But most of that stuff can wait until you're up to gold armor or so.

EriktheRed wrote:
JillSammich wrote:

I've run MacTerraria for a while, but I just started playing in any type of substantial way. Just made my first iron chestpiece and my first golden sword. Am I supposed to go left and right?... because I've been going down. A lot.

I wish I could play MP, but the mac wrapper crashes every time you try to connect. There is no easy way that I've found to rum MP games.

There are other biomes you can run into if you head to the left or the right. They will have special materials and monsters that will only spawn there. The map is bookended by beaches and oceans. There is also the jungle biome, snow biome, and the dungeon. But most of that stuff can wait until you're up to gold armor or so.

Oh nice. I've seen a tiny desert, but that's about as far east or west as I've gone. I've pretty much stayed close to my snow fortress.

Grappling hooks make the awesome. It made Just Cause 2 awesome. It made Bionic Commando awesome. It makes Batman more awesome.

New players should build a gold pickaxe or better first off. It makes mining soooo much easier.

You posted that pic of the 'tight spot' a few days back so you may have figured out that carrying blocks of dirt/brick can come in handy for situations like that (or boards you make from wood).

Blocks that settle like sand are also handy for descending into pits. You can drop sand blocks and they will fall into a column. You can then stand on top and dig them out one by one to move downwards.

I've got a million questions about this game.

1) Who is this old man?

2) What the hell? My face got ripped off (it said that) by two flying skulls in the old man's house?

3) When does this game bottom out? I dug for like 90 minutes and finally found lava and glowing mushroom trees (I'm playing on the large world).

4) How do I dig through the Corrupted ground? It's hard yo!

5) How do I teleport?

6) How do I cast freakin' magic? I've got two magic stars already.

7) Can I build a home, complete with table and chair (snazzy!) and when I restart the game or die (not snazzy!) I start at my new home-away-from-home? (Actually, my home is like a village now) I'm getting tired of hoofing it back to my favourite exploring hole.

And to date I now have a gold helmet, silver chest piece, iron pants, a grappling hook, a gold sword, a million potions, enough wood to build a house anywhere I need to and gumption.

Strangeblades wrote:

I've got a million questions about this game.

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

1) He's the original end boss of the game. You need to talk to him at night.
2) That's the dungeon. You can't enter it until you beat the old man or you'll get killed immediately.
3) Don't play solo on a large world. They're very large.
4) You need at least a nightmare pickaxe.
5) Magic mirror.
6) You collect ten fallen star and craft a mana star (it sounds like you've gotten this far), use the mana stars to gain mana, specific weapons/items use mana.
7) Yes, you need to make a bed and you can set any bed as a spawn point by right clicking it.

Unless they've really upped the drop rate of hooks, I'm surprised you have a grappling hook as early as it sounds like you are.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

3) Don't play solo on a large world. They're very large.

Yeah this needs emphasis. Small world is still huge for a single person.

The large world is only for playing with friends. And even then, medium is probably enough.