Terraria

Eldon_of_Azure wrote:
Redwing wrote:

Apparently Hallow spreads as much as Corruption in Hardmode, only stopping once it reaches the Corruption (and visa versa). Is there anyway to prevent your world from becoming a big Ying-Yang Corruption or Hallow world after a certain point? I want to keep my base off-limits for instance.

Having air in between your fortress and the ground seems to be the only way. Sky islands will remain untouched unless Hallow or Corruption is manually spread there but certain mobs make it very dangerous place to build anything.
-
EDIT: It appears (at least for me) that nothing spreads through clay, walling off the corruption/hallow to the side and below ground should be able to keep an area free of taint so long as you don't attract the attention of a Corruptor.

I believe mud also works this way.

I suppose it'll be interesting to see what happens anyway, perhaps I'll pre-barricade my town with clay before killing the Wall of Flesh, at least that way it'll be the last bastion of sanity if the world does go Light vs Dark crazy.

Do sunflowers still block corruption? Will they block hallow as well?

Hypatian wrote:

Do sunflowers still block corruption? Will they block hallow as well?

My understanding is that sunflowers no longer block corruption once hard mode kicks in, which automatically happens after killing the Wall of Flesh.

Sounds like they need to implement a new sunflower-like device for keeping out Corruption and Hallow in Hardmode, basically the Terraria equivalent of Switzerland.

Of course, it's all speculation on my part since I haven't gotten up to Hardmode yet (darn work using up all my time!), perhaps the spread isn't as bad as I'm expecting.

Cacti don't hurt the player anymore. Which is nice. How do you link a pressure plate to a dart trap?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Cacti don't hurt the player anymore. Which is nice. How do you link a pressure plate to a dart trap?

Get a wrench and put down wires to link the two. The mechanic has everything you need, if you've found her.

Oh cool, are there pre-built housing areas now? I haven't played since ... 1.04, I think, and just ran across this area with a new character; the only thing I did was plop down a few torches:

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/terr1.jpg)

Is this fairly rare, or are areas like this sprinkled around? Contemplating the residents that were here before I arrived is an unexpected but welcome surprise. Maybe we'll start finding journal entries/diaries in such houses! (Probably shouldn't get ahead of myself here.)

Tamren wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Cacti don't hurt the player anymore. Which is nice. How do you link a pressure plate to a dart trap?

Get a wrench and put down wires to link the two. The mechanic has everything you need, if you've found her.

Ah, I have not.

Puce Moose wrote:

Oh cool, are there pre-built housing areas now? I haven't played since ... 1.04, I think, and just ran across this area with a new character; the only thing I did was plop down a few torches:

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/terr1.jpg)

Is this fairly rare, or are areas like this sprinkled around? Contemplating the residents that were here before I arrived is an unexpected but welcome surprise. Maybe we'll start finding journal entries/diaries in such houses! (Probably shouldn't get ahead of myself here.)

I've run across quite a few. Some of them were quite nifty. We've got one co-opted as an outpost underground.

I was gifted this during the summer sale, and played a fair amount. Enjoyed it, but could never quite beat the Eye of Cthulhu in a couple tries, and eventually put it down for something else. New patch came out, so I tried it again. I wound up breaking a shadow orb out of curiosity, and so far that's caused a meteor to hit (mined it all, suck it, meteor heads!), wound up having to fight (and beat) the Eye with no preparation, and the Eater of Worlds showed up when I was deep underground and I just barely didn't kill it (though I wound up with plenty of Shadow Scales). I bought rocket boots off a goblin merchant I found tied up underground, and, over my lunch break, I wound up with a Vilethorn, a Celestial Vilethorn, and a terrifyingly effective Harpoon, and now I'm wondering why I bothered making Light's Bane. Of course, I have crap for mana at this point, but I need to work on that after I fend off this second Goblin invasion.

CAN'T. STOP.

I had a great time last night with everyone who helped defeat the Wall of Flesh and usher in hardmode. Thanks to itsatrap for isolating our base in an attempt to keep it hallow and corruption free.

Do we have any creative people who would be willing to remodel or build some additions on top of our base? I think it is time to expand and prettify it, but I am not particularly creative.

EriktheRed wrote:

I had a great time last night with everyone who helped defeat the Wall of Flesh and usher in hardmode. Thanks to itsatrap for isolating our base in an attempt to keep it hallow and corruption free.

Do we have any creative people who would be willing to remodel or build some additions on top of our base? I think it is time to expand and prettify it, but I am not particularly creative.

More boulders, you say?

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:
EriktheRed wrote:

I had a great time last night with everyone who helped defeat the Wall of Flesh and usher in hardmode. Thanks to itsatrap for isolating our base in an attempt to keep it hallow and corruption free.

Do we have any creative people who would be willing to remodel or build some additions on top of our base? I think it is time to expand and prettify it, but I am not particularly creative.

More boulders, you say?

Build a bus and grab a rocket launcher. Oh wait, we're not doing pvp mode?

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:
EriktheRed wrote:

I had a great time last night with everyone who helped defeat the Wall of Flesh and usher in hardmode. Thanks to itsatrap for isolating our base in an attempt to keep it hallow and corruption free.

Do we have any creative people who would be willing to remodel or build some additions on top of our base? I think it is time to expand and prettify it, but I am not particularly creative.

More boulders, you say?

If you could incorporate them into monster traps that won't kill players, I am all for it.

Took down the Wall of Flesh solo last night, it was a tough fight! Took me two goes, the first time I ran out of bridge to fight on and ended up getting overtaken by the Wall and it was all downhill from there.

Spoiler:

I ended up using a lot of potions to take him down. Regeneration, Ironskin, Gravitation, Slow Fall & Obsidian Skin. The Gravitation, Slow Fall and Obsidian Skin probably weren't necessary since I'd built a massive bridge in the Underworld to fight him on, but they'd be extremely useful if I wasn't so prepared.

I cleaned up the Hungry with my Night's Edge, but I ended up using the Dark Lance to do most the damage to the Wall itself, you can use it while running backwards, which is obviously very handy for such a mobile fight.

Something I've been wondering about the wall.

[spoiler]Does the wall always come from the right side of the screen? Or does it matter which way you are facing when you throw the doll into the lava?

Tamren wrote:

Something I've been wondering about the wall.

Spoiler:

Does the wall always come from the right side of the screen? Or does it matter which way you are facing when you throw the doll into the lava?

Spoiler:

Yes it does matter which way you face. I chucked the doll to my left on the westernmost part of the map, and the wall came from the left side of the screen and started moving right.

Does anyone know someone who goes by the in-game name of Jade?

Sometime today, someone got on my server and set off dynamite at my house and stole some of my armor sets and other items. The only person on since last night was a character named Jade. Anyway, I am passwording the server from here on. I will post the pass in the Steam group.

I'm nearing the point in my solo world that the only thing left to do is hardmode. I really don't want to ruin my house by having the corruption overtake it so I'm looking into ways to separate it from the rest of the world.

EriktheRed wrote:

Does anyone know someone who goes by the in-game name of Jade?

Sometime today, someone got on my server and set off dynamite at my house and stole some of my armor sets and other items. The only person on since last night was a character named Jade. Anyway, I am passwording the server from here on. I will post the pass in the Steam group.

I do not know a Jade. I also have not given out the server info to anyone but myself.

Tamren wrote:

I'm nearing the point in my solo world that the only thing left to do is hardmode. I really don't want to ruin my house by having the corruption overtake it so I'm looking into ways to separate it from the rest of the world.

I just dug a big wide tunnel that goes from one side of my town to the other, so it's essentially floating in a little crater now. I even knocked out the dirt backing walls to be sure (which is very quick with the item you get for killing the WoF).

I'm not sure if it'll work, but I should be able to deal with any footholds and make it wider if necessary.

MitchellW wrote:
EriktheRed wrote:

Does anyone know someone who goes by the in-game name of Jade?

Sometime today, someone got on my server and set off dynamite at my house and stole some of my armor sets and other items. The only person on since last night was a character named Jade. Anyway, I am passwording the server from here on. I will post the pass in the Steam group.

I do not know a Jade. I also have not given out the server info to anyone but myself.

Could have been someone's kid. Its happened before. Terraria saves previously played servers on a list, so they wouldn't need the IP info.

Unicorns are terrifying!

Aiee! Corruption gap was breached to the east of the base, so I ended up mining out the area and installing a bunch of extra stone brick. Oh, and someone seeded Hallow on the west; that's fine, except that a small amount jumped the gap and had to be cleaned up. I will also have to shore-up the underground area a bit next time I'm on.

I started some remodeling--the first order of business was making the doorways defensible, not that it helps vs. the ones that can teleport/pass through walls.

Does hallow/corruption cross through backwalls? Or will digging a 3 space thick trench around corruption and hallow in the world help preserver natural biomes?

On our world we triggered hardmore a day or two ago. But since the map is medium for only two players there was too much unexplored space. We realized we were fighting a losing battle and started a new small world so we have a more reasonable job of protecting the environment.

Must stop going in the sky and summon the Wyvern... Darn 4000 hp beast.. :S

But I need Feather, I want those new wings one day.

Tamren wrote:

Something I've been wondering about the wall.

[spoiler]Does the wall always come from the right side of the screen? Or does it matter which way you are facing when you throw the doll into the lava?

About your question:

Spoiler:

It doesn't matter which way you face, it matters where you are on the map. It always comes at you so that you have the most room to the other edge of the world. So if you're on the far left edge of the world, facing away from the edge, it'll still come at you from the left.

About what it drops:

Spoiler:

Is there a better gun than the Clockwork Assault Rifle? I've got it now, and it's absolutely badass. 3 round burst on 1 round of ammo is lethal at range. Back that up with a shotgun for close range and you are a death machine. It was also the last thing for it to drop for us when we were farming it, so we've got laser rifles and a pair of breaker blades. Which are also hilarious amounts of fun.

Now all I need is a chainsword and the adamantite armor for the full on assault marine experience.

Heh- a few days ago one of my favorite musicians posted on his site how he is desperately trying to work on a new album, but is instead spending all of his time playing Terraria. I would be more upset if I weren't also spending all of my free time playing Terraria.

I don't know where the time went but I've attained a little over 100hrs play time, making Terraria my most played game this year!