The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Catch-All

Yonder wrote:

Giving my life over.

FTFY.

I just slaughtered my first sabertooth cat. Yes, I AM awesome.

Amazon completely and utterly failed me. They sent me a confirmation email regarding release date shipping and everything, then followed up this afternoon with an estimated delivery time of Tuesday. I followed up with customer service and they told me Tuesday as well. Loading up through Steam now, and I'll either return it to Amazon or sell someone the code if and when the boxed copy arrives next week.

ranalin wrote:

What's the rolls of linen used for?

Just decorating the embalming areas as far as I can tell.

Did anyone else get ripped off by that first hunter with the dog you run into (I'm assuming she's a scripted actor there)? I tried to sell her wolf pelts, and she took my pelts, but gave me no cash at all. I exited the trade screen and tried it several times to no avail.

I had a pretty awesome moment. After killing my second dragon and acquiring a shout that is basically the force one but with more fire. I made my way back to the first town that the dragon razed to see if there was anything left. A couple bandits holed up in the ruins went down quickly, then I climbed the watchtower to dispatch the final bandit and gave my new shout a try. The shout sent his flaming corpse soaring off the watchtower leaving nothing but his bow and smoking scorch marks on the stones.

Puce Moose wrote:

Did anyone else get ripped off by that first hunter with the dog you run into (I'm assuming she's a scripted actor there)? I tried to sell her wolf pelts, and she took my pelts, but gave me no cash at all. I exited the trade screen and tried it several times to no avail.

Was this between the tutorial area and the first town? I ran into a hunter there but he wouldn't talk to me so I killed him. Nice free bow for my archery character.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

Did anyone else get ripped off by that first hunter with the dog you run into (I'm assuming she's a scripted actor there)? I tried to sell her wolf pelts, and she took my pelts, but gave me no cash at all. I exited the trade screen and tried it several times to no avail.

Was this between the tutorial area and the first town? I ran into a hunter there but he wouldn't talk to me so I killed him. Nice free bow for my archery character.

I sold pelts, but didn't even notice if I got money or not. Hmmm.

Stylez wrote:

I had a pretty awesome moment. After killing my second dragon and acquiring a shout that is basically the force one but with more fire. I made my way back to the first town that the dragon razed to see if there was anything left. A couple bandits holed up in the ruins went down quickly, then I climbed the watchtower to dispatch the final bandit and gave my new shout a try. The shout sent his flaming corpse soaring off the watchtower leaving nothing but his bow and smoking scorch marks on the stones.

Nice. I've got that shout and an extra Dragon Soul. I'm buying it immediately!

Does anyone know if the magic/armour thing still applies? I've been purposely trying to wear the minimal amount of stuff for my spellslinger (just a couple of pieces of enchanted light armour, otherwise cloth only), but reading through the manual, I'm not finding any mention of it. Is there still a penalty for casting while wearing armour? Why can't I find any decent enchanted cloth boots/gloves?

Kraint wrote:

Amazon completely and utterly failed me. They sent me a confirmation email regarding release date shipping and everything, then followed up this afternoon with an estimated delivery time of Tuesday. I followed up with customer service and they told me Tuesday as well. Loading up through Steam now, and I'll either return it to Amazon or sell someone the code if and when the boxed copy arrives next week.

Don't feel too bad man. The same thing happened to me when I ordered the Bioshock 2 special edition through Amazon. Ended up buying it on Steam. I still have a shrinkwrapped copy of Bioshock 2.

Don't know Coldstream, but don't robes and stuff buff magic? Like instead of armor being a negative, robes are an extra plus now.

This game is immersive as f*ck. Really, really enjoying it. I think I'm going to end up as a thief/mage... having a blast stealthing around and arrowing things to death. But I started as a Breton, with the idea that I'll be developing my magic skills later on.

Man, there are A LOT of perks you can take. Anyone know the level cap?

edit: I looked it up. Hard cap is somewhere north of 70 -- they say that most people should finish around level 50. I'm at level 8.

Malor wrote:

This game is immersive as f*ck. Really, really enjoying it. I think I'm going to end up as a thief/mage... having a blast stealthing around and arrowing things to death. But I started as a Breton, with the idea that I'll be developing my magic skills later on.

Man, there are A LOT of perks you can take. Anyone know the level cap?

I think the cap is 70, but it takes a really long time to advance in level after 50. Like they slowed it down once you hit 50.

garion333 wrote:

Don't know Coldstream, but don't robes and stuff buff magic? Like instead of armor being a negative, robes are an extra plus now.

Yeah, there are definitely buffs on some robes/hoods I've found. I can probably enchant some of my own stuff too once I get myself sorted out here at the College. I just remember that in Oblivion I wanted to be a mage in full plate, but the penalty for casting in that stuff was horrific.

garion333 wrote:
Yonder wrote:

Giving my life over.

FTFY.

I haven't bought it yet. I just want to watch you guys give up your lives.

First impressions:

PC interface sucks. Looks and feels like it was designed for a console. Confusing and poor mouse control on the menus (start out with WASD, if you're having trouble). Equipping items is not intuitive.

Graphics - Underwhelming. Nice, but not revolutionary (and it auto-detected me at Ultra High quality). Bethesda, you still suck at animation. And the hair options are atrocious. Plus, your skin tone options are very harsh. I couldn't make a hot dude. At least, not the way I like it.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

Did anyone else get ripped off by that first hunter with the dog you run into (I'm assuming she's a scripted actor there)? I tried to sell her wolf pelts, and she took my pelts, but gave me no cash at all. I exited the trade screen and tried it several times to no avail.

Was this between the tutorial area and the first town? I ran into a hunter there but he wouldn't talk to me so I killed him. Nice free bow for my archery character.

Never saw a hunter but killed the wolves. And I had like 5 bows already from my escape, so it didn't matter much.

Can someone remind me how Arena started? I know in Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and now Skyrim you start as a prisoner of some kind. Were you a prisoner at the start of Arena? I never thought of it before but is that the standard Elder Scrolls starting shtick?

Coldstream wrote:

I just remember that in Oblivion I wanted to be a mage in full plate, but the penalty for casting in that stuff was horrific.

Huh -- I played a heavy-armor battlemage in Oblivion without ever noticing the armor getting in the way of spellcasting.

As for Skyrim, my first impression is good, though I have to agree that the PC controls aren't very well thought out. On the other hand, playing this kind of game with a controller seems wrong to me. I'm not yet annoyed enough to switch.

(But I am very much annoyed at being killed by a giant spider in Bleak Falls Barrow. I should quicksave more often.)

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

Did anyone else get ripped off by that first hunter with the dog you run into (I'm assuming she's a scripted actor there)? I tried to sell her wolf pelts, and she took my pelts, but gave me no cash at all. I exited the trade screen and tried it several times to no avail.

Was this between the tutorial area and the first town? I ran into a hunter there but he wouldn't talk to me so I killed him. Nice free bow for my archery character.

Yep, that's the place. The hunter that appeared for me was ...a bit of a greenhorn to hunting. I stumbled on to her and hid and watched for a bit, and heard her saying "I'll find you!", when the wolf she was "tracking" was literally biting her on the ass.
Perhaps her giving me 0GP for my pelts was an indirect way of accepting payment for the little wacky A.I. show she put on.

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/hogvan1.jpg)

Whoa! Looks like ol' Hamvan and the overly-generous Alvor are quite close friends. Yeeeesh.

On a different note, I discovered that you can zoom in and spin items in a Resident Evil-esque fashion. If you place your mouse cursor over (or near) an item's image in your inventory, and then mousewheel up, it will center the object and let you spin it around for a closer look. Handy if you want to take a closer look at something you've grabbed.

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/beefzoom1.jpg)

tanstaafl wrote:

Can someone remind me how Arena started? I know in Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and now Skyrim you start as a prisoner of some kind. Were you a prisoner at the start of Arena? I never thought of it before but is that the standard Elder Scrolls starting shtick?

The one game where you didn't start out as a prisoner, you were summoned by the emperor (in a live-action video nonetheless) and then sent by boat. Funny enough, your boat crashes and you end up in a cave. Imagine that.

NSMike wrote:

First impressions:

PC interface sucks. Looks and feels like it was designed for a console. Confusing and poor mouse control on the menus (start out with WASD, if you're having trouble). Equipping items is not intuitive.

Graphics - Underwhelming. Nice, but not revolutionary (and it auto-detected me at Ultra High quality). Bethesda, you still suck at animation. And the hair options are atrocious. Plus, your skin tone options are very harsh. I couldn't make a hot dude. At least, not the way I like it.

I agree with you on all of that. However, it's better than they've done in the past with Fallout 3/NV. I'm able to get past the faults and enjoy all of the things you can do. Did you play The Witcher 2? That game did an RPG for PC correctly. I'm sure you would like it better.

Edit: One thing I do love graphically about this game is the sky. Rather than having static clouds, they move very subtely. That huge moon always looks cool too (or is at a space station?). That and the snowflakes have impressed me.

Once you get past the scripted opener this game is amazing, looks gorgeous even on the 360, great audio. Wonderful atmosphere. Character voices and interaction are clearly improved. Already the world has much more character than Oblivion ever did. Made an older Redguard dude who kinda looks like Book from Firefly, Mage who also gets his hands dirty with 1-handers. Even the beginner spells feel powerful and just look cool. Man I can tell this game is going to give me massive value for the money spent.

Okay, I think I may be going crazy. Can anyone else confirm weird sound stuff going on? Here's a few of the things that I've experienced:
(Windows 7 64-bit, Soundblaster X-Fi Gamer edition, latest drivers, 5.1 sound system)

*NPC footstep sounds in a room... when nobody is moving. It's happened twice to me so far.
*(MOST COMMON) - sound effects as if stuff rustling around in a room, as if someone threw something and it's bouncing around, causing the physics engine to go bonkers and cause multiple collision sound events. I suspect it's some movable object trying to settle its collision data, as I've entered three or four rooms where kettles or cheese or similar go FLYING across the room just from me opening the door. The most obvious example was the inn in Riverwood; whenever I got near the bar I'd hear multiple bizarre bouncy sound effects.

Yep, that sounds crazy. But it's happened in every interior (except the tutorial dungeon) so far! Perhaps it's an awesome poltergeist side-quest, but somehow I think there's something screwy going on with the sound engine.

*EDIT* On a side note, I just leveled up, hooray! I was pretty excited when I learned I could choose a perk, images of Fallout/NV's flavorful and imaginative perks dancing in my head.
Then.. err, I saw the list. Are those boring, utilitarian min/max style perks really the... perks?
20% damage that, 10% greater block this, blah blah blah. Where are my amusing descriptions? My funny little images? My 'mixed blessing' options for negatives/positives rolled into one perk?

Well, that's the first thing I've felt the need to rant about so far, so I still consider my experience a success so far.
By the way: Does the little high-pitched/funky noise when you enter/exit a category description in the skill menu hurt anyone else's ears? I'm generally a little sensitive to such, but I've been muting my audio whenever I'm perusing the skill/perk trees.

AcidCat wrote:

Once you get past the scripted opener this game is amazing, looks gorgeous even on the 360, great audio. Wonderful atmosphere. Character voices and interaction are clearly improved. Already the world has much more character than Oblivion ever did. Made an older Redguard dude who kinda looks like Book from Firefly, Mage who also gets his hands dirty with 1-handers. Even the beginner spells feel powerful and just look cool. Man I can tell this game is going to give me massive value for the money spent.

Yes yes.

Still has those idiosyncrasies of all video games:

Spoiler:

I have a quest to go beat up this female shopkeeper. After I kick the crap out of her, she relents and says she will comply with the companions. 5 seconds later she is cheerfully asking if I would like to buy any of her crap.

Then I kill my first dragon, which wasn't to difficult. But on my way up to High Hrothgar I run into a Frost Troll that I cannot even touch. I end up having to sneak past it in order to get up the mountain. So dragons are the big threat to Skyrim but we have Frost Trolls that are 5 times as powerful as a dragon hanging out on the mountain? Kind of weird.

All that said, this world is incredible. Atmosphere galore.

Had my first real "Uh-oh" moment. And I believe it was my lack of experience with the Elder Scrolls series that very nearly did me in.

So My female Redguard didn't know that magical weapons had charges and very happily started using one that she picked up at the start of a dungeon. Looks like she will be a 1-hander specialist with light armor and bows. All the way until the end when she got ambushed by a boss creature. Meeting the undead's charge, she swings, lands a mighty blow on him, then the weapon blinks and falls inert in her hand having just used up it's last charge.

Much scrambling and potion drinking after that to survive that misfortune.

Skyrim get! "Premium quality" map is nice for what it is, but less nice than what I was led to believe. Now to wash the dishes, pour myself a beer, and disappear. Nice knowing you all.

Puce, most of the perks are pretty boring but a couple of them give you some actual, you know, perks. One of the top-tier Lockpicking perks makes your picks unbreakable. A lot of the Sneak perks give you new options while sneaking, like rolls and silent running.

I'm a little confused about the system myself, like, are those actual perk trees, or did they just lay them out like that to make it look pretty? Do perks have prerequisites other than skill level?

As for the controller-friendly interface, yeah. HELL yeah. Like it took me nearly an hour to find my damn inventory.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Puce, most of the perks are pretty boring but a couple of them give you some actual, you know, perks. One of the top-tier Lockpicking perks makes your picks unbreakable. A lot of the Sneak perks give you new options while sneaking, like rolls and silent running.

I'm a little confused about the system myself, like, are those actual perk trees, or did they just lay them out like that to make it look pretty? Do perks have prerequisites other than skill level?

As for the controller-friendly interface, yeah. HELL yeah. Like it took me nearly an hour to find my damn inventory.

Yeah, perks within a particular tree will have prerequisites of all the stuff in the 'branch' below it, in addition to the required level. For spell-casters, the perks that allow casting various level spells for half-mana are super useful.