The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Catch-All

When I went to Riften for the first time, there was a dragon attacking the city gate. I killed it, and the guards watched me absorb its soul and all started talking about how I was Dovakhiin. Immediately afterward, one of those same guards told me I had to go through the north gate instead, because he had strict orders to "keep the riffraff out". Excuse me? Riffraff? You just watched me kill a dragon and eat its soul. I'm a friggin' Thane in Whiterun and leader of the Companions! Just let me in the damn gate!

Clemenstation wrote:
ranalin wrote:
Clemenstation wrote:

Then somebody burgled me the very next day while my vigilant housecarl was napping upstairs. I came home just in time to catch an unfamiliar dude bailing out the door in the opposite direction. Chased him down and it turned out I made the right decision -- he was taking off with everything that I had in my storage chest. What an asshole. Anyone else get robbed yet?

seriously? So maybe staying that college is better?

I dunno, haven't made it out there yet. I'm not sure what the deal is with housebreakers, but I'm hoping that you'll always have an opportunity (like I did) to catch them in the act / chase down and reacquire your stuff. I noticed that some other guys on reddit also had to thwart robberies, so it seems like a legit game feature.

This is distressing news.

I always unload gear before dungeon diving, strictly sticking with essentials to make room for loot hoarding.

If I store my most prized items in my own home and there's still a danger of losing the stuff to a thief, then what's the point of collecting?

It might be nice that the game triggers a burglar escape only when you're approaching your house, but what if you simply miss it?

Are the Companions the Fighter's Guild in this game? I haven't messed with them too much, but I went into their headquarters in Whiterun and two people just suddenly started decking each other.

NSMike wrote:

Are the Companions the Fighter's Guild in this game? I haven't messed with them too much, but I went into their headquarters in Whiterun and two people just suddenly started decking each other.

Yes, they are.

muttonchop wrote:

When I went to Riften for the first time, there was a dragon attacking the city gate. I killed it, and the guards watched me absorb its soul and all started talking about how I was Dovakhiin. Immediately afterward, one of those same guards told me I had to go through the north gate instead, because he had strict orders to "keep the riffraff out". Excuse me? Riffraff? You just watched me kill a dragon and eat its soul. I'm a friggin' Thane in Whiterun and leader of the Companions! Just let me in the damn gate!

They think very highly of themselves in Riften. Wouldn't you if you had one of the most profitable apiaries in Skyrim at your doorstep?

Dragons? Pah, it's all about them bees.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads...

That might make mining a little easier.

Aaron D. wrote:

It might be nice that the game triggers a burglar escape only when you're approaching your house, but what if you simply miss it?

Finally, after decades of victimization by stickyfingered heroes, the NPCs of Tamriel strike back!

The most interesting thing about the whole event was Lydia. Turns out that she's great at unadvertised tasks (dragon-smashing) but sh*tty at her primary job role (housecarl).

Can anyone tell me how this story ends?

(Companions spoiler, you'll know what that means if you've joined them):
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61...

Yep.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/61...

kyrieee wrote:
Tkyl wrote:
ruhk wrote:
Ballotechnic wrote:

Somewhere in this game I ran into a mage who had a spell called (I believe) Firestorm. It was an area effect spell designed to damage enemies as they are trying to swarm you. I didn't have the money or skill for it at the time but now I can't find who has it for the life of me.

Does anyone know who has this spell book and where I can find them? I thought it was the fellow who lectures the students at the Mages College, but upon revisiting him he doesn't have it.

I remember seeing that as well. It may have been the resident mage at Dragonsreach in Whiterun.

Are you speaking of Firecloak? I have that spell. It surrounds you with fire and damages all enemies within melee range. I got it from teh mage in Dragonsreach. There is also a lightning and a cold version of the spell.

I've tried that but it causes explosions that get me killed more often than not.

Unfortunately I went back to him already and he didn't seem to have it. I'll have to double check.

Wow this thread moves quickly.

Clemenstation wrote:
Aaron D. wrote:

It might be nice that the game triggers a burglar escape only when you're approaching your house, but what if you simply miss it?

Finally, after decades of victimization by stickyfingered heroes, the NPCs of Tamriel strike back!

Ha, indeed.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that they only trigger the event as you are approaching your house. Coming home and seeing a thief exiting your house and getting the chance to run him down is a feature. Coming home and finding your stuff is just gone is a bug. (After all, part of the point of specific player owned houses is that they are the only place that is truly safe to store stuff, as they are exempt from the the game's "janitor" process that will eventually clean up the state of cells that haven't been visited lately to prevent save game and memory usage bloat.)

As I said earlier though, I'm just curious how much the robbery is simulated -- ie, does the thief have to make it through whatever crap you have in your house or not before he materializes outside your door.

I've encountered 1 quest dragon and 3 random dragons so far.

One of the randoms was the first time I went to one of the towns (I forget the name, the one where they are all having nightmares). Right as I got the around the center of town a wall of flame hit me. Fought it off with the guards and then right after a woman walked past me saying something like "nobody believes me, but I saw a dragon!" as I stood next to the dragon remains.

1st random dragon I encountered was near a stable. All the horses came running out and helped fight the dragon.

Can anyone point me to a merchant with a lot of gold? I'm sick of not being able to sell all my stuff! Waiting 24 hrs doesn't work either, like it did in Morrowind

Trying not to step over any filthy spoiler, but filthily skimming the thread, I have to ask: I'm thinking of picking this one up over at Green Man Gaming (best digital deal so far). Anyone here benefits from a referral campaign or something so that it could get a boost from my purchase?

EDIT: read about Barab's offer on the other catch-all thread, but unfortunately it's for US purchases. Talking about the Eurozone here.

TIA

I have a friend referral link

Looks like they changed the referral bonus from 5$ to 2$, but you get 2$ as well.

tagged

muttonchop wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:

Do the houses have cooking/crafting equipment, or are they just places to sleep and keep your stuff?

Just like in Fallout 3, you can buy various upgrade packages for your house. Kitchen, alchemy supplies, decorations, etc. Most of the packages are only a few hundred gold, so I splurged and bought everything. Some of the upgrades give you shield & weapon racks that you can use to show off some of the fancy gear you find.

Is there an option for horse armour?

Also, there are some really imaginative quests you can just stumble upon. The dream one is fantastic.

Coldstream wrote:

Also, there are some really imaginative quests you can just stumble upon. The dream one is fantastic.

I read a book about a famous hero, and it started a quest to retrieve his sword. I ended up in the hero's secret tomb, whereupon he resurrected along with a bunch of skeletons and attacked me. Not the most original quest, but I thought it was pretty cool that just reading a random bit of lore sent me off on a little adventure like that.

On my way to school a special dragon attacks and I get burned alive. I reload and go to the same place and I see the dragon fly by but this time he doesn't attack. Oh and the other NPCs don't react to a dragon flying above their heads, a special dragon mind you. I find it kind of cool that battle wasn't scripted but uncool that no one reacted to the special dragon.

See spoiler if you want to know what made it a special dragon

Spoiler:

It was a Ice Dragon. I could see through his icy hide

How cool is that?

Spoiler:

Shivering Isles.....

There are a few different types of dragons. I've seen regular dragons, ice dragons, and blood dragons. Blood dragons have different looking tails and seem to be able to breathe fire or ice.

muttonchop wrote:

There are a few different types of dragons. I've seen regular dragons, ice dragons, and blood dragons. Blood dragons have different looking tails and seem to be able to breathe fire or ice.

They also batter the ground with their tails causing you (me) a lot of damage. I fount just blocking the jaw attack was better than trying to circle around it.

Speaking of that Blood Dragon, I was killed, not by the dragon but by a bloody cave bear that crept up behind me and was wailing away on my backside without me noticing. I was chugging away potions like they were going out of style, wondering to myself how hard this dragon was compared with others i'd killed. I reloaded and the battle took a turn for the awesome when, the dragon, in the middle of our fight, got up flew off a few hundred feet and then started attacking the bear that had killed me the first time. The bear was then joined by a mate and i stood by and watched as the dragon provided me with some bear pelts (which i needed for a quest) and the bears whittled the dragon down to around 1/5 health... making it easy to finish him off.

I'm about level 17 so far and i'm loving the game. It's every bit as good as i thought/hoped it would be. I love the interplay of the mechanics for the shouts/powers/magic and physical fighting and how you can mix/match/augment each with the other. I'm not really liking the perk system though... It feels that because i'm concentrating on a few (four) trees that i'm not really getting anything for my levelling because most of the trees have a big gap between 30 and 50-60 and really limit progression.

The hardest enemy i've fought (and been able to kill) so far has been a Draugr Overlord. In some old ruins i had this great moment when i entered a room and one of them stepped out of an adjacent room and proceeded to whoop my ass with his shouts, arrows and lethal melee attacks. Had to reload that fight a couple of times and game the AI a little. Then i healed up and fell down a hole, only to find myself face to face with another one.... and quickly being disarmed by it!! I ran... but had to return for my sword.

The hardest fight i couldn't even get anywhere in was with a Shaman (forest/cave evil guys? I can't remember the name!) and

Spoiler:

a Dwemer giant construct

..... I just stood even less chance than against the mammoths and their "minders" who i have found will appear out of thin air to protect them. :/

This should come as no surprise to us, but there have been over 3.4 million sales of Skyrim at retail over the last 2 days.

Skyrim is “up over 600% on Oblivion’s modest 490k staggered opening”, and will manage to outsell Oblivion in a few weeks according to VG Charts. The United States had 2.5 million in sales while 950,000 units where moved in EMEAA; part of the reason for the difference in sales between countries is probably due to the fact PC digital sales where not included in these figures, which would make the EMEAA units moved much higher.

Not too shabby.

tagging, now that I actually have this.

Duoae wrote:

The hardest fight i couldn't even get anywhere in was with a Shaman (forest/cave evil guys? I can't remember the name!) and

Spoiler:

a Dwemer giant construct

..... I just stood even less chance than against the mammoths and their "minders" who i have found will appear out of thin air to protect them. :/

Falmer? I think I fought the same guy. I noticed that his friend was too big to fit through the tunnels, so I kited the Falmer guy back and killed him, then went back to fight the other thing. When I went back though, the thing chased me around but wouldn't actually attack so I just stood my ground and slowly whittled it down. I don't know if it was bugged or what.

muttonchop wrote:
Duoae wrote:

The hardest fight i couldn't even get anywhere in was with a Shaman (forest/cave evil guys? I can't remember the name!) and

Spoiler:

a Dwemer giant construct

..... I just stood even less chance than against the mammoths and their "minders" who i have found will appear out of thin air to protect them. :/

Falmer? I think I fought the same guy. I noticed that his friend was too big to fit through the tunnels, so I kited the Falmer guy back and killed him, then went back to fight the other thing. When I went back though, the thing chased me around but wouldn't actually attack so I just stood my ground and slowly whittled it down. I don't know if it was bugged or what.

Yeah that's the one. I did the kite thing too but even the guy on his own was just too powerful for me when i encountered him.

Yeah, he was really tough when I fought him too, it took a bunch of tries. It didn't help that I was fresh out of health consumables from the damn poison bugs a few rooms earlier. I ended up kiting him back a long way and breaking line of sight to use the heal spell whenever I got low.

Forgot the name again, but these trees are pretty funny. They keep coming back, until you know how to keep them down.

So a while back I got jumped by a group of hired thugs, and one of them had a note from some NPC I've never heard of claiming I was a thief. The thing is, I don't steal. I've stolen maybe 4 things, and each time because a quest made me do it - and of those times, one person I robbed was already dead, and another one died shortly after. I really have no idea who this is or why he's out to get me.

Oh man. I just installed and began playing and damn if it doesn't look amazing. I'm still running a 2.8Ghz Athlon 64 FX cpu and somehow I can run this game on Ultra at 1080x1920. I'm getting 30-45fps. I don't know what sort of dark magic Bethesda had to call upon to make this possible but WOW.

The writing and sense of place already feels like the best that Bethesda has ever done. I have a feeling I'm going to get just as hopelessly lost in this game as I did with Morrowind.