The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Catch-All

Katy wrote:

It really doesn't do to think too hard about the quests, sometimes. I've started down the path to retrieve the horn of Jurgen Windcaller, and...

Spoiler:

So somebody's taken it already. How exactly did they get there, past the place where you have to Whirlwind Sprint, not to mention past the gigantic spider, or alternately, through a door which can only be opened from the inside?

Certain NPC's wield the powers of the Dramaborn.

The Plot Shout that zips them past monsters and obstacles without leaving a trace is an especially powerful one, but takes a long time to recharge and only a few NPC's ever learn it. The one that tells them what quest the Dragonborn is currently working on is widely-known and recharges almost instantly.

1.08 out for our PS3 players, including trophey listings. I had just hit 100% about a week ago with level 50 and getting married (wanted my wife to be my new companion so I didn't feel bad about leaving her at home), and now I am at 69% with a platinum.

...yes, that's right... I got married and now I am at 69%. That feels silly.

Either way, avoiding looking at them because I would like to at least experience some of Dragonborn spoiler free. Couldn't manage it with Dawnguard after that many months, but still good on Dragonborn other than some technical stuff like how does dragon flying work and how to get the end boss to appear.

Ok, I just cant bring myself to go and level up all the other skills that I don't care that much about. My character is 42 and I dont feel like leveling enchanting, sneak and all that magic nonsense. Will I really be missing out on much?

NathanialG wrote:

Ok, I just cant bring myself to go and level up all the other skills that I don't care that much about. My character is 42 and I dont feel like leveling enchanting, sneak and all that magic nonsense. Will I really be missing out on much?

Some very mean dragons (tied to an achievement) and a duel with another wandering warrior who wants you to be the last notch on his belt. That is really about it. That and draugr infested caves being more fun... when everything is either a deathlord sporting ebony weapon or a deathlord master with a daedric weapon. I seriously doubt I will ever do this with a character again unless I am hard-up for cash really bad. I just wanted to try after my car repairs and student loan stuff left me pretty drained.

NathanialG wrote:

Ok, I just cant bring myself to go and level up all the other skills that I don't care that much about. My character is 42 and I dont feel like leveling enchanting, sneak and all that magic nonsense. Will I really be missing out on much?

Two words. Legendary Dragons.

Also, sneaking, come on! It's like the ultimate skill. Plus enchanting allows you to put two enchantments on your gear. Not that you need it of course. I'm so god damned overpowered that I one shot giants, mammoths, bears, pretty much everything except dragons.... who take about 4 - 5 shots.

If you really don't want any of that, then you know what, enjoy your character the way they are. The game is diverse enough to let you play however you want.

One of the common themes I'm reading here is how thought it is to gain levels after 50 or so. Is there a way to do it more naturally as you go, or will I just need to accept grinding out a couple skills by doing stupid repetitive stuff? That's how I got through Oblivon but was hoping not to have to do it this time.

Btw I'm currently leveling one hand and two hand, block, heavy armor, bow, and restoration. I'm playing around with smithing too. My only fear is leveling each of these skills a few points a level will leave me too weak.

jdzappa wrote:

One of the common themes I'm reading here is how thought it is to gain levels after 50 or so. Is there a way to do it more naturally as you go,

Only if you switch play styles organically half way through (i.e. "60 hours in and I just realized I would rather be using a mace than a bow") rather than intentionally. But assuming you have a favorite play style, that will get you to 45ish by itself. The problem is, once you're at 45, how can you reasonably expect to switch to a whole new skill cluster and still have fun instead of die a lot and feel like you're working too hard? They really didn't design it with total mastery in mind, so it's a grind against the mechanics to get there if you set that as your goal.

Wow, I dont think i have been past...level 40 i think was my highest. I have 700 hours in skyrim but i get bored with each character after about level 35. Start wanting to try a new magic school, new combat style, a new race a new perk mod, a new leveling mod overhaul etc.

has anyone tried SKYRIM UNLEASHED ?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25869

or REQUIEM ?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

or Skyre ?

I cant decide which. I have never used wrye bash to make the leveled list combine so I kind of want to avoid that if i can

If you want to naturally hit the really high levels, the way to do it is to not hyper specialize. Don't be just a sword + board heavy armor character, use everything. Montalban is right that if you build 40 levels using only one set of abilities, you're going to have a hard time switching to others. However, if you level using a wide array of skills then you'll have a much easier time.

For me it was super repetitive. I maxed enchanting, smithing, speach and Alteration by transmuting iron ore into gold ore, crafting jewellery, enchanting it with sneak and selling it to vendors.

Illusion can be done by just constantly casting muffle while walking along from place to place. Conjuration was a lot of time spent on soul trapping dead giants. Alchemy was making giant toe, creep cluster and wheat potions. Restoration and light/heavy armour by getting hit by draugr while casting healing. Once you level up your crafting, you can put on rings and armour that reduce the spell cost to 0 so you can just infinitely heal.

Yes it's super grindy. But I really, really wanted that achievement

Once I needed to grind unused skills to keep leveling, I justified it by thinking my character was disappointed that the denizens of Skyrim were no longer a challenge, so they're deliberately handicapping themselves by using skills they're not masters of yet. I also got a Steam Workshop mod that lets me spend dragon souls on perks, to make leveling them more fun and find a use for all the extra dragon souls I get.

Brownypoints wrote:

Wow, I dont think i have been past...level 40 i think was my highest. I have 700 hours in skyrim but i get bored with each character after about level 35. Start wanting to try a new magic school, new combat style, a new race a new perk mod, a new leveling mod overhaul etc.

has anyone tried SKYRIM UNLEASHED ?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25869

or REQUIEM ?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

or Skyre ?

I cant decide which. I have never used wrye bash to make the leveled list combine so I kind of want to avoid that if i can

Requiem looks interesting but it is of concern that the last patching he talks about is Dawnguard. Skyrim Unleashed looked less interesting to me, although it looks like he has a patch out for Dragonborn.

For me it was super repetitive. I maxed enchanting, smithing, speach and Alteration by transmuting iron ore into gold ore, crafting jewellery, enchanting it with sneak and selling it to vendors.

There's also an infinite conversation loop in Riften's Black-Briar Meadery with the tasting counter worker where you can persuade him over and over again. Pop on the Amulet of Articulation and it's a few minutes at most. Finished that last night.

Skills left to go in my quest to hit 81: Sneak (94), Alchemy (never even touched, so maybe 23ish now?), Pickpocket (made some good progress there, up to like 83 as of last night), Heavy Armor (99, I deliberately stopped leveling that at 99 so that the mask you get in Dragonborne that is either heavy or light depending on your skills will actually be light, not that it's especially useful to me either way).

Stengah wrote:

Once I needed to grind unused skills to keep leveling, I justified it by thinking my character was disappointed that the denizens of Skyrim were no longer a challenge, so they're deliberately handicapping themselves by using skills they're not masters of yet. I also got a Steam Workshop mod that lets me spend dragon souls on perks, to make leveling them more fun and find a use for all the extra dragon souls I get.

That right there is something I kind of wish they'd add for everything. Buying the perks for Lockpicking and Pickpocketing and such I could justify with dragon souls... not so much with level ups.

I'm curious what people use for their Magicka/Health/Stamina choices for levels. By the time I hit 80, I'll be at 300, 400, 400 (What? I like to sprint and carry more stuff and slow down time with my zoom! :D). What's everyone else doing for choosing those stats?

I'm around 400, 400, 300. I like mixing magic and melee, and especially at this point, i'm so flush with gold I rarely pick up any loot. No need to carry a ton of stuff around.

I'm around 400, 400, 300 as well. I may have used the console to increase my max carry weight to well over 1000.

beanman101283 wrote:

I'm around 400, 400, 300. I like mixing magic and melee, and especially at this point, i'm so flush with gold I rarely pick up any loot. No need to carry a ton of stuff around.

I still have houses to buy and mansions to build starting next week!

Demosthenes wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

I'm around 400, 400, 300. I like mixing magic and melee, and especially at this point, i'm so flush with gold I rarely pick up any loot. No need to carry a ton of stuff around.

I still have houses to buy and mansions to build starting next week! :D

Good point! There was a standing stone I used for a while that bumps up your carrying capacity. That came in handy for quite a long time. Now that my houses are built, and I'm focusing on questing and leveling to 81, i'm using the Lover's Stone.

beanman101283 wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

I'm around 400, 400, 300. I like mixing magic and melee, and especially at this point, i'm so flush with gold I rarely pick up any loot. No need to carry a ton of stuff around.

I still have houses to buy and mansions to build starting next week! :D

Good point! There was a standing stone I used for a while that bumps up your carrying capacity. That came in handy for quite a long time. Now that my houses are built, and I'm focusing on questing and leveling to 81, i'm using the Lover's Stone.

Yeah, I've been using the Lady and the 3 Class stones pretty much all the time as a matter of leveling skills. Getting that character to 81, maybe I will try out one of those other stones.

Two mods recently helped me with carry weight. I was already using the Bandoliers, but then installed Apocalypse Spell Package which has a Feather 150 spell that you just toggle on or off. Then I tried the Alchemists Hidden Valley (mentioned in this thread, thanks!) and that has a Summon Chest spell, which pretty much eliminates the worry about carry weight. To be honest, the chest is a little OP and I feel guilty using it, so I've been trying to forget about it and only use it when transferring massive amounts of items from one home to another, that sort of thing.

Brownypoints wrote:

81

or Skyre ?

I cant decide which. I have never used wrye bash to make the leveled list combine so I kind of want to avoid that if i can

I have used Skyre extensively. It is very good! I am not sure if the current release is stable for Dragonborn, though

Montalban wrote:

Two mods recently helped me with carry weight. I was already using the Bandoliers, but then installed Apocalypse Spell Package which has a Feather 150 spell that you just toggle on or off. Then I tried the Alchemists Hidden Valley (mentioned in this thread, thanks!) and that has a Summon Chest spell, which pretty much eliminates the worry about carry weight. To be honest, the chest is a little OP and I feel guilty using it, so I've been trying to forget about it and only use it when transferring massive amounts of items from one home to another, that sort of thing.

I couldn't get Bandoliers to work, maybe I just installed it wrong.

I just make liberal use of the Feather spell from the base game, and otherwise I drop things I can't carry. If I'm not going to sell it for gold, or it's not going on a wall hanging in my home, then I try not to keep it. I don't exactly want all the cheese wheels in Skyrim on my floor.

For mass transfers, you all know you can order a follower to take everything from a chest, and that they have no encumbrance limit right? It's super easy to completely transfer things from one house to another. Just fair warning, some items may or may not be marked as Stolen afterwards.

ahrezmendi wrote:

For mass transfers, you all know you can order a follower to take everything from a chest, and that they have no encumbrance limit right? It's super easy to completely transfer things from one house to another. Just fair warning, some items may or may not be marked as Stolen afterwards.

When handing items to followers, they have encumbrance. I've never ordered them to take items from a chest before though.

absurddoctor wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:

For mass transfers, you all know you can order a follower to take everything from a chest, and that they have no encumbrance limit right? It's super easy to completely transfer things from one house to another. Just fair warning, some items may or may not be marked as Stolen afterwards.

When handing items to followers, they have encumbrance. I've never ordered them to take items from a chest before though.

Picking items up off the floor works to, though you have to drop them one at a time, otherwise Solid Dwarven Metal (5) gets turned into Solid Dwarven Metal (1) when you tell them to pick it up.

ahrezmendi wrote:

If you want to naturally hit the really high levels, the way to do it is to not hyper specialize. Don't be just a sword + board heavy armor character, use everything. Montalban is right that if you build 40 levels using only one set of abilities, you're going to have a hard time switching to others. However, if you level using a wide array of skills then you'll have a much easier time.

Yeah, I'm at level 70 now, and have never gone out of my way to grind anything, but rather play the way I'm interested in. I got to ~44 with stealth/sword-and-board, becoming a man-god in the process; then I switched to full-on melee heavy armour and two-handed. There was an increase in challenge as I started building those skills up, but it was welcome at that point. Then when I'd 100'ed all my combat skills, I switched to magic at around level 65. I'm a little low on the defense side (Stoneflesh + back to light armour, but I don't get full-set bonuses since I'm wearing the Aetherial Crown to boost XP (Lady Stone + Mage Stone)), but Conjure Sword with my 1H abilities keeps me in the fight (with Fast Healing in the left hand), mostly. It's nice to have new challenges!

The only skills I'm not using are Destruction (much) or Illusion (at all), so maybe I'll have to tour Skyrim, gratuitously casting Rally in every city, once I've raised everything else to 80s/90s.

Demosthenes wrote:

I'm curious what people use for their Magicka/Health/Stamina choices for levels. By the time I hit 80, I'll be at 300, 400, 400 (What? I like to sprint and carry more stuff and slow down time with my zoom! :D). What's everyone else doing for choosing those stats?

I deliberately went 0:2:1 (ideal melee ratio) until I had 400 health, 320 stamina (I also like to run forever, carry lots (thief!), and zoom), now everything is going to magic to fuel the leveling (currently 280).

ahrezmendi wrote:

I just make liberal use of the Feather spell from the base game, and otherwise I drop things I can't carry.

Wait, there's a Feather spell in the base game? I've never found it, just Fortify Carry Weight potions.

misplacedbravado wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:

I just make liberal use of the Feather spell from the base game, and otherwise I drop things I can't carry.

Wait, there's a Feather spell in the base game? I've never found it, just Fortify Carry Weight potions.

Oh, maybe it's being added by one of my mods, possibly SkyRe. I lose track sometimes.

absurddoctor wrote:

When handing items to followers, they have encumbrance. I've never ordered them to take items from a chest before though.

Yeah, this is only applicable when ordering them to use chests or pick up items off the ground like Stengah mentioned.

ahrezmendi wrote:
misplacedbravado wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:

I just make liberal use of the Feather spell from the base game, and otherwise I drop things I can't carry.

Wait, there's a Feather spell in the base game? I've never found it, just Fortify Carry Weight potions.

Oh, maybe it's being added by one of my mods, possibly SkyRe. I lose track sometimes.

absurddoctor wrote:

When handing items to followers, they have encumbrance. I've never ordered them to take items from a chest before though.

Yeah, this is only applicable when ordering them to use chests or pick up items off the ground like Stengah mentioned.

Feather is not in the base game, it has to be added using a mod.

Must be SkyRe then, I'm pretty sure that's the only mod I'm using which adds new spells. I wanted to try Midas Magic, but it's still too young and I think it would break the game.

ahrezmendi wrote:
absurddoctor wrote:

When handing items to followers, they have encumbrance. I've never ordered them to take items from a chest before though.

Yeah, this is only applicable when ordering them to use chests or pick up items off the ground like Stengah mentioned.

This qualifies as one of those things I wish I had learned long ago. Thanks guys!