The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Catch-All

So far I've been trying to do all my grinding as organically as possible. Throw on heavy armor, cast Ironskin, cast Flame Cloak, case Bound Sword, and equip a shield. Then cast Fast Healing once the battle's over. With no perks in any of those skills, i'm pretty weak and can go down pretty quickly to anyone weilding a battleaxe or warhammer. Falmer Warmongers, Bandit Chiefs, and other high level humanoid enemies all necessitate switching back to my standard sneaking outfit.

Still, I'm not above letting the last bandit standing in a cave whale on me a bit to boost heavy armor and block. I might even heal him/her a few times for their trouble before finishing them off. So I suppose a bit of alteration grinding isn't out of the question.

beanman101283 wrote:

So far I've been trying to do all my grinding as organically as possible. Throw on heavy armor, cast Ironskin, cast Flame Cloak, case Bound Sword, and equip a shield. Then cast Fast Healing once the battle's over. With no perks in any of those skills, i'm pretty weak and can go down pretty quickly to anyone weilding a battleaxe or warhammer. Falmer Warmongers, Bandit Chiefs, and other high level humanoid enemies all necessitate switching back to my standard sneaking outfit.

Still, I'm not above letting the last bandit standing in a cave whale on me a bit to boost heavy armor and block. I might even heal him/her a few times for their trouble before finishing them off. So I suppose a bit of alteration grinding isn't out of the question. :D

The issue being, with alteration, that you can't just stand in your house to do that, you need an enemy at least generally around. My favorite spot is a dungeon north of Shor's Stone where two wolves are locked in a cage outside the dungeon (don't go inside, as entering early will break a Skooma Ring quest in Riften). Just stand in front of the wolves and cast. Just be careful as your follower/companion will attack them with ranged spells to try and kill them too. :X Leave your follower at home, be amused as your horse constantly tries to get to them to attack and can't. Assuming leaving my game running casting flames and healing hands while I was at work worked... only magic I'll have left to go is Conjuration, which is just soul trap a few billion times.

Edit: What's funny is as a result of doing this, I've got some very expensive spell books sitting in my bookshelf in Markarth that will probably never be used. I dunno why I bought them, but it seemed like something an Arch-Mage should hold onto.

Demosthenes wrote:

See, whereas I find some of the random encounters fun. Wolves? Not so much after like the first 20 (or really, once I no longer need leather for smithing). A fan of the Gourmet who I can show my Writ of Passage to? Hilarious.

I do have to admit that any number of wolves are still infinitely better than the never ending Cliff Racer endurance tests of old...

I think some blue pygmies just duped me into enacting a cynical reading of all RPGs ever made.

beanman101283 wrote:

So far I've been trying to do all my grinding as organically as possible. Throw on heavy armor, cast Ironskin, cast Flame Cloak, case Bound Sword, and equip a shield. Then cast Fast Healing once the battle's over. With no perks in any of those skills, i'm pretty weak and can go down pretty quickly to anyone weilding a battleaxe or warhammer. Falmer Warmongers, Bandit Chiefs, and other high level humanoid enemies all necessitate switching back to my standard sneaking outfit.

This is what I have to look forward to. Level 66, four of my combat and stealth skills are in their 90s, (Block, Alchemy, Lockpicking, Speech) and the rest are at 100. Now I totally shift gears and start working on my magic skills—Enchanting is at 75, Restoration at 45, and the rest are 20 or below. o.O I'm gonna have to buy some spell books.

On the one hand, I still have a hojillion quests left I want to do, so I can work on it pretty organically. On the other hand, this'll be a fundamental shift for my character (and me, since I've never really used magic in TES games), so I think I just ramped up the late-game challenge (which otherwise didn't exist, really, except for that one Revered Dragon I've run into).

I guess I'm the only one who gives themselves 10m gold and just uses a trainer.

I have the 360 version. And pride.

Spoiler:

Smiley

Spoiler:

SERIOUS FACE

The combat in Skyrim is getting repetetive and unengaging after hundreds of hours of play? What a surprise.

I'll take this over 90% of other ARPG combat systems any day. The fact that it's taken this long to become stale for some seems like a good thing to me.

Are there any combat enhancement mods like Morrowind used to have? I never tried them myself, but they seemed popular.

Scratched wrote:

I guess I'm the only one who gives themselves 10m gold and just uses a trainer.

Screw that. I just gave myself the levels in skills that I didn't want to waste time leveling up.

Redwing wrote:

The combat in Skyrim is getting repetetive and unengaging after hundreds of hours of play? What a surprise.

I'll take this over 90% of other ARPG combat systems any day. The fact that it's taken this long to become stale for some seems like a good thing to me.

Are there any combat enhancement mods like Morrowind used to have? I never tried them myself, but they seemed popular.

There certainly are! There's a few big ones, actually. I use Skyrim Redone, which is a mega overhaul for everything. There is also big combat overhaul mod called DUEL.

Well it's finished downloading so hopefully tonight I'll get some time to play! I noticed the really big 1.5gb patch this morning too so that should be done by the time I get home from work today.

beanman101283 wrote:

Yeah, Destruction, Restoration, and Alchemy are all taking forever, with Alteration close behind. One handed is taking a while too, though at least it's in the 90s. Not looking forward to getting two-handed up another 50 points.

You can level Alchemy pretty fast, you just need to focus on creating high-value potions. Generally this involves trying to combine as many properties as possible into a single potion. If you don't know enough of your ingredients' properties, go into the Ingredients tab and randomly combine sets of three ingredients - just don't combine them if they're greyed-out.

BlackSabre wrote:

Well it's finished downloading so hopefully tonight I'll get some time to play! I noticed the really big 1.5gb patch this morning too so that should be done by the time I get home from work today.

HD textures for all three DLCs, based on what I read. Jealous!

muttonchop wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

Yeah, Destruction, Restoration, and Alchemy are all taking forever, with Alteration close behind. One handed is taking a while too, though at least it's in the 90s. Not looking forward to getting two-handed up another 50 points.

You can level Alchemy pretty fast, you just need to focus on creating high-value potions. Generally this involves trying to combine as many properties as possible into a single potion. If you don't know enough of your ingredients' properties, go into the Ingredients tab and randomly combine sets of three ingredients - just don't combine them if they're greyed-out.

Yeah, I just read that potions made with Giants Toes and Wheat are the highest value potions. I know Slow and Invisibility potions are sure bets as well.

Oh, nice. I like HD textures. Definitely looking forward to playing tonight.

beanman101283 wrote:
muttonchop wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

Yeah, Destruction, Restoration, and Alchemy are all taking forever, with Alteration close behind. One handed is taking a while too, though at least it's in the 90s. Not looking forward to getting two-handed up another 50 points.

You can level Alchemy pretty fast, you just need to focus on creating high-value potions. Generally this involves trying to combine as many properties as possible into a single potion. If you don't know enough of your ingredients' properties, go into the Ingredients tab and randomly combine sets of three ingredients - just don't combine them if they're greyed-out.

Yeah, I just read that potions made with Giants Toes and Wheat are the highest value potions. I know Slow and Invisibility potions are sure bets as well.

Add a creep cluster to that Giant's Toe and Wheat recipe and you'll have your alchemy at 100 in no time.

Giant's toe + blue mountain flower + blue butterfly wing is the key. It makes a Potion of A Hojillion Effects.

I just fire up the browser in Steam and use the Skyrim Alchemy Recipes Finder. Add all the ingredients, take out the ones I don't have, then just start making the highest-value potions, and removing ingredients when I run out.

Of course, then I have to sell them until the shopkeeper runs out of money, quicksave, kill them, quickload so it replenishes their cash, rinse, and repeat.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

I just fire up the browser in Steam and use the Skyrim Alchemy Recipes Finder. Add all the ingredients, take out the ones I don't have, then just start making the highest-value potions, and removing ingredients when I run out.

Of course, then I have to sell them until the shopkeeper runs out of money, quicksave, kill them, quickload so it replenishes their cash, rinse, and repeat.

giving merchants more money is the only console command I have ever used.

Redwing wrote:

The combat in Skyrim is getting repetetive and unengaging after hundreds of hours of play? What a surprise.

I'll take this over 90% of other ARPG combat systems any day. The fact that it's taken this long to become stale for some seems like a good thing to me.

Are there any combat enhancement mods like Morrowind used to have? I never tried them myself, but they seemed popular.

Im using Duel - Combat Realism
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2700 The work this guy has put into this is ridiculous, combat feels harder/more deliberate actions /more thoughtful
This is the most popular of the combat enhancements I think, it works great for me, seems to be very compatible with other mods, is it the best ? I dont know that, I havent tried the other 2 main ones yet, will install one of them when i start a new character

people also like Deadly Combat
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5485

and Duke Patricks - Archery And Heavy Weapons Combat
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3646

+1 to Duel - Combat Realism

I also use Locational Damage (work for NPC's against the player as well, can lead to the occasional one shot death.)

BlackSabre wrote:

Add a creep cluster to that Giant's Toe and Wheat recipe and you'll have your alchemy at 100 in no time.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

I just fire up the browser in Steam and use the Skyrim Alchemy Recipes Finder. Add all the ingredients, take out the ones I don't have, then just start making the highest-value potions, and removing ingredients when I run out.

Of course, then I have to sell them until the shopkeeper runs out of money, quicksave, kill them, quickload so it replenishes their cash, rinse, and repeat.

Thanks, I'll give both of those a try.

Got to level 70 last night. Right in the thick of Dawnguard now:

Spoiler:

Vampire lording will be fun, and I don't mind that leveling my vampire skills will slow my overall leveling. The werewolf perk tree offered a nice change of pace, and the vampire powers look more versatile and fun to use. I am sort of mentally role-playing my character as someone who has become progressively unhinged as events around her have progressed, so if it's possible I fully intend to kill all the Dawnguard and cover the world in darkness.

So far the new dungeons and areas for Dawnguard have been very impressive just in terms of visuals. I now have to take a chalice to a skooma den, which I stumbled across earlier. Should be a good time.

Both with Dawnguard and now Dragonborn, it really feels like they took a couple steps forward visually. Yes, there's a lot of recycling of assets going on, but there is still plenty of new as well.

This one looks interesting

Kagrenacs Instant Fortress

I decided to trawl through the Nexus last night to find some new mods to add to my upcoming game. Here are some of the more interesting I discovered:

Morning Fogs

Interesting NPCs

Halls of Dovahndor

Inside the Nebula

Vibrant Auroras

Alchemists Hidden Valley

I'm enjoying the change of scenery in Dragonborn, but I was a little disappointed when the first dungeon was yet another draugr tomb. I thought I left you undead jerks back in Skyrim!

My new best friend lends a hand of support as I finish off a ghost.

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8505/8454086723_2eb1136c52_c.jpg)
2013-02-07_00003

Serena uses a bridge as tactical cover.

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8455182954_503fa520c6_c.jpg)
2013-01-25_00004

Two giants, two dragons. All gray.

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8104/8455183152_979cd65e86_c.jpg)
2013-01-27_00001
Dead men tell no tales but still cast a shadow:

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8454088703_f26fe6a05c_c.jpg)
2012-10-03_00002

Dragonborn is giving me all kinds of Bloodmoon nostalgia. It's definitely a lot better than Dawnguard so far.

Also, I found a sword that shoots lasers! Pew pew!

muttonchop wrote:

Dragonborn is giving me all kinds of Bloodmoon nostalgia. It's definitely a lot better than Dawnguard so far.

Also, I found a sword that shoots lasers! Pew pew!

Ha! Yeah, I probably spent half an hour in front of that door before I figured out how that sword works.

Gravey wrote:
muttonchop wrote:

Dragonborn is giving me all kinds of Bloodmoon nostalgia. It's definitely a lot better than Dawnguard so far.

Also, I found a sword that shoots lasers! Pew pew!

Ha! Yeah, I probably spent half an hour in front of that door before I figured out how that sword works.

LALALALALALALA! Spoiler tag yo!