The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Thread

Oh! While messing around making my custom version of that control mapping I discovered an undocumented control. You know how if you hold the activate button rather than tap it you can drag a world item rather than take it into your inventory? Try the same thing with your followers. It gives you quick access to the "command" mode that you would otherwise have to select from their dialog options.

I sure wish that had been explained. Somewhere.

So the main thing that's bothering me right now is some of the long distance textures on trees and water. I didn't notice it that much with the environment around whiterun, but in the rift it's quite noticeable. I don't know if I changed something I shouldn't have in my INI, but the distant water and trees on my way up to High Hrothgar looked quite poor. I have a screenshot, but its at home. Anyone else found this and found a good solution? I've seen some stuff about changing Ugrids, which kind of freaks me out. I don't need the water/trees to have the same textures they do up close, just something better than the ugly, solid colors they have now.

I don't know why it's just trees and water - long distance mountains look fantastic.
Everything in the Skyrim config options is set to ultra and the sliders are at the limit.

I have also noticed this as well lately, Dysplastic. And I have been noticing much more pop-in of things as opposed to before. Maybe I just never noticed before, but it just seems so damn obvious now. And all of my settings are at ultra as well. I have a hard time believing that I somehow missed this in the 45-50 hours I had played before I began to see it all of the time.

The LAA from the link works great. Thank you. I am running at a solid 60 now.

One more thing

The mouse lag is driving me nuts. Every time I try to mess with the ini to disable vsync it resets the file. I have tried making it read only. What is the trick to this?

I saw a waterfall on my way to solitude that from a distance looked like a solid unmoving texture. Almost like it was ice. But when i got to it, it was moving water.

Hyetal wrote:

I sure wish that had been explained. Somewhere.

In my game, it was explained by Lydia within the first 5 minutes of having her...did that not happen for you guys?

kazar wrote:

I saw a waterfall on my way to solitude that from a distance looked like a solid unmoving texture. Almost like it was ice. But when i got to it, it was moving water.

This is a grid loading issue. If you perform the .ini grids to load swap from the default to 9, waterfalls will be animated even at range, but it's a hefty uptick in memory and CPU requirements.

TheHipGamer wrote:
kazar wrote:

I saw a waterfall on my way to solitude that from a distance looked like a solid unmoving texture. Almost like it was ice. But when i got to it, it was moving water.

This is a grid loading issue. If you perform the .ini grids to load swap from the default to 9, waterfalls will be animated even at range, but it's a hefty uptick in memory and CPU requirements.

Do not forget that if you do this, it makes it difficult to revert back from 9 to the default. It will crash.

I tried the uGrids mod a week or two ago, but ended up going back. I liked the enhancements, though my performance did drop a bit. The real reason was that I was getting some intermittent crashes, though they have continued since the revert. The bottom of the first post in this thread gives a nice overview of the tweak and how to revert back from it. Totally painless for me.

For those having issues with settings undoing themselves, you might try calling saveini and refreshini from the console when you are loaded up with everything you want. This is what got my FOV setting to finally stay put.

TempestBlayze wrote:

The LAA from the link works great. Thank you. I am running at a solid 60 now.

One more thing

The mouse lag is driving me nuts. Every time I try to mess with the ini to disable vsync it resets the file. I have tried making it read only. What is the trick to this?

Keeping the file read only should stop Skyrim from over writing any changes you make. Good way to test that is to start the game with the launcher go change some settings and then go back into the settings to see if your changes stuck. If the file is read only they will not. Just don't forget to set it to read only every time you mess with something. I forgot and lost about a 2 hours worth of tweaks.

Here's a comparison between uGridsToLoad=5 and uGridsToLoad=7. Everything else is the same (ultra defaults plus most the tweaks here). Full size is bigger if you open it on its own.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/Aea7H.gif)

Nvidia have a compilation of tweaks and swish comparisons here: http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guid...

Alright, I got the PC version so that I could mod it. However, after putting a few dozen hours in I'm terrified of breaking things and then having to spend the equivalent of a play session fixing things. Or, worse yet, corrupting a save game. So, a few questions...

Does the LAA trick change anything in the game files? As I read above it's just a different launcher, so it really shouldn't. It sounds like a decent way to up my framerate.

Does the 360 controller really slow down performance? I frankly love using it, but if I'm screwing myself I can re-learn the keyboard system or mod it up to something approaching usefulness.

Does the mod manager over at Skyrim Nexus make it possible to revert back to an unmodded state? If I decide to throw in the towel, is there a simple route back to normal other than re-installing the game?

What are some good rules of thumb for those uninitiated in installing mods on a TES game? I ran the Morrowind 2010 conversion and loved the results, but it was a harrowing process for me and was more like baking a cake than actually engaging with the game files.

Edit: That Nvidia article calms some of my .ini agita.

The LAA tweak is a launcher, you put it in the same directory and run that instead of the normal way you'd run the game.

The nexus mod manager is essentially a custom version of the old Fallout/Oblivion Mod Manager FOMM/OBMM

Scratched wrote:

The nexus mod manager is essentially a custom version of the old Fallout/Oblivion Mod Manager FOMM/OBMM

These represent things I have also not used. : /

ZaneRockfist wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
kazar wrote:

I saw a waterfall on my way to solitude that from a distance looked like a solid unmoving texture. Almost like it was ice. But when i got to it, it was moving water.

This is a grid loading issue. If you perform the .ini grids to load swap from the default to 9, waterfalls will be animated even at range, but it's a hefty uptick in memory and CPU requirements.

Do not forget that if you do this, it makes it difficult to revert back from 9 to the default. It will crash.

It's wicked simple to fix, actually -- load up, open the console, make the change in-game, save. Boom, done.

TheWanderer wrote:
Scratched wrote:

The nexus mod manager is essentially a custom version of the old Fallout/Oblivion Mod Manager FOMM/OBMM

These represent things I have also not used. : /

NMM makes it very easy, but it's quite unstable and will crash often, but that's not much of a problem, really. Take a screenshot of what your Data folder looks like (in Skyrim root), and go crazy. If it ever gets too much for you, and for some reason NMM doesn't do its thing, just delete anything that doesn't belong (in Data). Note, some mods, like the FXAA injector and the LAA launcher shouldn't be installed through the mod manager.

I haven't read about savegames becoming corrupted outside of the LAA business. Just give it a go, man.

Awesome just what UI was waiting for.

Sweet, thanks for the link oMonarca

Does it have a sort feature yet?

Is it wasd navigable?

Makes me wish there was some contract modders could use to allow and encourage the developers to incorporate their improvements to a game. Something acceptable to the legal department, the modders get credit and their work in front of a large audience (and maybe compensated), and the players get an improved game.

I just read something on a site somewhere You guys should endorse the sh*t out of that mod though, once you get it. And spread it around, like wild fire.

mr_n00b wrote:

Does it have a sort feature yet?

No deal. The author claims it would be way too much work, and he really wanted to put something usable out, really fast. Doesn't mean that in time something of a higher caliber comes out. I would never ever ever bet against the ingenuity of the community.

duckilama wrote:

Is it wasd navigable?

Yeap

Scratched wrote:

Makes me wish there was some contract modders could use to allow and encourage the developers to incorporate their improvements to a game. Something acceptable to the legal department, the modders get credit and their work in front of a large audience (and maybe compensated), and the players get an improved game.

Derail here, but Paradox has put out a number of games based on mod work. The mod work gets (really) popular, they give the modders some money and the mods go to make standalone games. They're almost always not as good as Paradox's games, but it's still cool.

One problem with the mod, sometimes when sorting in a chest or with Lydia MISC isn't an option.

I do like that Bethesda has noticed some of the better mods and already incorporated them into newer games. When you open chests and anything now, the objects actually open. Also, when you harvest something, the object actually gets harvested. Allows modders to focus on even more mods now.

Edit: also, that new inventory mod looks nice, but does NOT work with an Xbox controller,as far as I could tell. I wasn't able to move between lists or sections

i38warhawk wrote:

One problem with the mod, sometimes when sorting in a chest or with Lydia MISC isn't an option.

Are you using WSAD, or more specifically 'A' an 'D' to cycle between the categories? If there are too many, they get hidden to the sides, but you can get them with the keyboard.

Citizen86 wrote:

Edit: also, that new inventory mod looks nice, but does NOT work with an Xbox controller,as far as I could tell. I wasn't able to move between lists or sections

Confirmed. The controller doesn't work with it.

Sorry if anyone else already pointed this mod out, but BOOM, take a look at this:

IMAGE(http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/630731953276104823/9F6CC24C87D026BF270E7028C8057710B50EDD16/)

Huge improvement over the standard inventory interface (even if the author admits it's a rushed job). You even have value per weight unit. Go grab QD Inventory here.

Source of this piece of good stuff.

EDIT: Doesn't support controllers (yet?).

I just tried out the inventory mod. Needs some polish but definately an improvement.