Battlefield 3 Catch-All

Nice video of the heli take down from the bike. Will be fun getting back into BF3!

Think I figured out why the patches were so big. Several map fixes that affect multiple maps.

Fixed several collision issues causing players to get stuck unintentionally. Levels affected: Operation Metro, Noshahr Canals, Wake Island, Damavand Peak, Operation Firestorm, Earthquake, And Caspian Border.

Fixed several collision issues where the player was able to get out of the playable area on several maps. Levels affected: Talah Market, Epicenter, Markaz Monolith, Noshahr Canals, Grand Bazaar, Azadi Palace, Operation Metro, and Seine Crossing.

People suiciding in AS is ridiculous. Just finished a round where I killed at least 10 jets but only had 3 kills. People get disabled and then go into the menu and hit suicide to deprive a kill. What's the point of even doing that except to grief?

Evo wrote:

People suiciding in AS is ridiculous. Just finished a round where I killed at least 10 jets but only had 3 kills. People get disabled and then go into the menu and hit suicide to deprive a kill. What's the point of even doing that except to grief?

There are those that will always find a way to be a tool.

I played a little bit tonight. I already want to boost the CTF assignments because the likelihood that any team will get past the defenses of the other team. Things will likely get a little better once people, including myself, stop trying to use the weapons from assignments though.

BlackSabre wrote:

Will try and pull myself away from Mass Effect 3 for a bit to come and play again. I haven't played in over a month now... I feel bad.

If it's any encouragement I can confirm mine planting from the back of the bike.

Higgledy wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:

Will try and pull myself away from Mass Effect 3 for a bit to come and play again. I haven't played in over a month now... I feel bad.

If it's any encouragement I can confirm mine planting from the back of the bike.

IMAGE(http://media.tumblr.com/80200c3cc786870d0123b131deaac8b2/tumblr_inline_mhetfic6sy1qz4rgp.gif)

Evo wrote:

People suiciding in AS is ridiculous. Just finished a round where I killed at least 10 jets but only had 3 kills. People get disabled and then go into the menu and hit suicide to deprive a kill. What's the point of even doing that except to grief?

Well that explains that...I was wondering why there were a lot of gliders just coasting along.

On flying, anyone have a recommended primer for jets/helos in BF3?

RichyRambo wrote:
Evo wrote:

People suiciding in AS is ridiculous. Just finished a round where I killed at least 10 jets but only had 3 kills. People get disabled and then go into the menu and hit suicide to deprive a kill. What's the point of even doing that except to grief?

Well that explains that...I was wondering why there were a lot of gliders just coasting along.

On flying, anyone have a recommended primer for jets/helos in BF3?

I don't have a written primer to share, but here's some of the most helpful tips I've learned.

I'm on Xbox, but the best thing I learned about jets is that they will fly a constant speed without any input on the throttle. So, when you get into a turning battle, tap the decelerate button (RT on Xbox) to slow to around 240kts, which you can see on the airspeed indicator in the HUD of the jet. You'll know it by feel from practice. Just don't slow down too much or you'll stall and probably float to earth.

Also, if you're not playing HC, fly in third person to acquire targets or if you're in a turning battle with someone to get a better view of where they're going. Switch back to cockpit view once you're getting into a position where you think you'll have a shot with your cannons.

Finally, if you're using heat seekers, you get two. Fire the first one to draw their flares or ECM and let the second one go after.

Helos are a little tougher. You'll always be vulnerable to jets no matter what you do. If you're engaging another helicopter, get altitude and use the heat seeker strategy above, then switch to rockets and try to get some hits on it in between while your missiles load. Don't flare until his missile(s) are in the air. Helos take a little more practice than jets to get really good at flying IMO. I'm personally a bit better in helos but I don't have any other really reliable tips to share besides the fact that other air vehicles are your biggest threat. Just practice.

You actually have the fastest turning at 300-310 while in a jet. There are some situations where going slower or faster is better but in general you should try to be turning at 300-310.

I just had a great round of CTF on the new desert map. I had an "only in Battlefield" moment where I was behind enemy lines by myself and I was near the flag. I blew up any explosives on the flag and then hunted down the players that set the trap. After I took out two Engineers and a Support I picked up the flag and ran.

At first I tried to get onto a motorcycle that was against a building but it was glitched out and useless to me. At this point the rest of the opposing team took notice that their flag was gone. Every enemy near me started closing in as a Recon spawn on me. The enemy helicopter made a pass at me but I was careful about my positioning so the pilot couldn't get a shot on me. The helicopter was just about to line up another pass on me when the recon that spawned on me took out the pilot and the helicopter gently landed mere meters away from the two of us. We both jumped in as fast as we could and lifted off just before the rest of the opposing team was able to get shots on us. Just as we were gaining altitude a lot of reinforcements had rushed to our aid and charged with no regard for their KD ratio.

I think from the time to taking the flag to lifting off the ground was only about 10 seconds.

Do it all over again, Battlefield4 is official.

Scratched wrote:

Do it all over again, Battlefield4 is official.

I'd consider it official long ago. At least from the time it was used as a pre-order bonus on MoH:W.

Scratched wrote:

Do it all over again, Battlefield4 is official.

been official for awhile now. I've been preordered for about 4 months

This is just getting the details or as much as they'll allow

MannishBoy wrote:
Scratched wrote:

Do it all over again, Battlefield4 is official.

I'd consider it official long ago. At least from the time it was used as a pre-order bonus on MoH:W.

Interesting that it says a new era. That could mean 'the next iteration' or it could mean a new setting time wise.

To miss quote Nelson, 'I see no giant mechs.'

The bikes add an element of chaos to conquest and CTF feels so light hearted and fun. I'm guessing that that is because squads haven't got their tactics completely down yet :P. I had a superb series of games just now.

A squad mate and I were chasing another bike round and round while I tried to shoot it. Eventually, failing with the carbine, I resorted to RPGs. When I fired the RPG it seemed to vanish only to explode in the spot the game must have calculated for it. Often worryingly close to our bike. Fortunately the guy suddenly pulled over and jumped off his bike in an attempt to ambush us and I hit him with an RPG as we went by.

I wonder if they'd go halfway to 2142. BF2067 if you will. Not contemporary, not 'near future' (Ubisoft Tom Clancy stuff), not Titans and pew-pew lasers, but a definite step away from trying to recreate modern weapons and the whole realism/authenticity debate.

I read somewhere rumours that the Chinese would be one side yo play, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more BF2 recycling like dragon valley, etc, as the MEC maps were for BF3.

Scratched wrote:

I wonder if they'd go halfway to 2142. BF2067 if you will. Not contemporary, not 'near future' (Ubisoft Tom Clancy stuff), not Titans and pew-pew lasers, but a definite step away from trying to recreate modern weapons and the whole realism/authenticity debate.

I read somewhere rumours that the Chinese would be one side yo play, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more BF2 recycling like dragon valley, etc, as the MEC maps were for BF3.

Yeah having the MEC return would be nice because you could easily put in more of my favorite maps from BF2.

Aside from the maps that made it to BF3 I would love to see Dragon Valley, FuShe Pass, Mastuur City, and Songhua Stalemate implemented into a game with modern technologies. I had great times on each map for different reasons.

I remember having a great time hiding from tanks on Dragon Valley. There are a lot of low walls and little hills to hide behind. At FuShe Pass I got a 1000m kill on a guy fighting against one of my tanks. Mastuur City had some of the best urban combat around where you had a mixture of close range and medium ranged combat. I think it compares well to Karkand and Sharqi as one of the best infantry based maps of BF2. Songhua Stalemate was great for being sneaky. If it was implemented well I think it could be amazing to run around with a suppressed weapon and play a medium to close range stealth game of conquest where hiding from tanks isn't too hard because of thick fog.

EDIT:

I also had two pretty awesome games of CTF this morning. The first game was very close with a 2:1 win for my team. The next round went 9:0 for my team and only 2-5 people were defending our base at any one time. I captured the flag 3 times on the 2nd round and we had a lot of good teamwork from our helicopters and motorcycles.

It seems like 32 players might be the ideal conditions when it comes to CTF.

We should try to get a crew over the next couple of days for a few rounds. My wife's working, so I'm available during the day about any time.

Well I have gone all in and gone premium on the 360. There is a lot of stuff to digest in one hit.

The highlight for me is CTF: engineer a heli to the flag, parachute onto flag, get in abandoned helicopter, ditch helicopter after taking damage, get a lift off a motor bike right to the flag. 500 points for taking the flag is a bit mean though.

I have finally tried to fly a jet in air superiority and capturing is fairly straight forward but I can't seem to shoot down anything. My flares don't seem to help much and a lock on me usually means death. I lock on them and fire and even when I do get hits I often end up with only the spot bonus. Should I be using the guns most of the time?

yregprincess wrote:

I have finally tried to fly a jet in air superiority and capturing is fairly straight forward but I can't seem to shoot down anything. My flares don't seem to help much and a lock on me usually means death. I lock on them and fire and even when I do get hits I often end up with only the spot bonus. Should I be using the guns most of the time?

Join the club on the Jet flying. I've watched videos and apparently guns are the way to go as missiles give too much warning. Perhaps you are hitting flares on enemy lock rather than as the missile is travelling?

Some great stories from CTF from everyone.

Shooting dirt bikes with the tanks is fun. Especially when you've watched them spending several minutes taking a wide, edge of the map, route around to you.

I got the 1911 S-Tac! I've only used it for about a minute and a half and already have 5 kills. I got 3 in very close quarters as I blinded two and killed a third that was trying to revive his fallen comrades.

The only way it could be any better is if there was a Metal Gear Solid version where the 1911 had the suppressor, tac light, and laser sight. Then I'd probably only play Rush with a pistol while listening to Metal Gear music.

Also, I know that Snake used a USP not a 1911 in MGS.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

Also, I know that Snake used a USP not a 1911 in MGS.

He totally had two different 1911's in MGS4. Springfield Operator and a Sig GSR. I know you could get a silencer and light and stuff for at least one of them.

Get going with the MGS music!

[annoying nitpick]Also, it was the MK 23 in the original MGS and all the others, not the USP. The MK 23 is a monsterous gun made for ogre hands. It makes the USP 45 look like a pop gun.[/annoying nitpick]

Thin_J wrote:
Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

Also, I know that Snake used a USP not a 1911 in MGS.

He totally had two different 1911's in MGS4. Springfield Operator and a Sig GSR. I know you could get a silencer and light and stuff for at least one of them.

Get going with the MGS music!

[annoying nitpick]Also, it was the MK 23 in the original MGS and all the others, not the USP. The MK 23 is a monsterous gun made for ogre hands. It makes the USP 45 look like a pop gun.[/annoying nitpick]

Damn, I knew I should have listed it as the MK 23 as the name. I swear that it is referred to as the USP and MK 23 in MGS.

I remember seeing someone rage about the gun because so many people love it from MGS. It was such an iconic weapon for the time. I seriously can't even remember if anyone else had used a suppressed weapon with a tac light and laser before in movies or games.

If anyone didn't already know it, the G3A3 is an absolutely devastating gun. I've been running around with it on TDM with a suppressor, reflex sight, and bipod with absolutely fantastic results.

Not being too aggressive is key to using the G3A3. Getting 2-3 kills with a single magazine is not very difficult and if you get a really nice clump you can take out a few more.

Here's a very short teaser for BF4. Going naval?

I wonder if frostbite can handle people standing on moving ships.

Scratched wrote:

I wonder if frostbite can handle people standing on moving ships.

Actually that's a propeller from a Seawolf class US submarine. Possibly the USS Connecticut (SSN-22.)

Spoiler:

I kid. I know nothing about propellers (rudders is a different story.)

Higgledy wrote:
Scratched wrote:

I wonder if frostbite can handle people standing on moving ships.

Actually that's a propeller from a Seawolf class US submarine. Possibly the USS Connecticut (SSN-22.)

Spoiler:

I kid. I know nothing about propellers (rudders is a different story.)

Spoiler:

:D I was going to say I was very impressed at first!

5 e-peen points to the first one to beach the carrier.

Scratched wrote:

5 e-peen points to the first one to beach the carrier.

IMAGE(https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpnrODVgLjHYikrxKJcfZfK3NFlG21M8_VA7nMPfpdUfJwkeCqHw)