The Playstation Vita Catch-All

spider_j wrote:

C'mon cyrax, what was the snarky comment?

It was something along the lines of, "I'm usually not good, like you. ^_^"

I'll also extend another (again) recommendation to Crush. It was on sale the first week the Vita was available, for $5. A steal, really, but I don't feel like newcomers should wait for another. PSN sales are usually a one time thing, except for special occasions and popular games, and Crush really is just that good.

spider_j wrote:

I know you guys aren't cheating! I'm just amazed. I chip away to get a 3 medal time, and when the leader board loads up, you guys are consistently an insurmountable distance ahead of me! Very impressive.

C'mon cyrax, what was the snarky comment?

If it's any consolidation, I was number two in the US for a bit when Trackmania 2 came out and I (barely) remain in the top two-hundred in Trackmania Nations.

I like me a good arcade racer.

SuperDave wrote:

If it's any consolidation, I was number two in the US for a bit when Trackmania 2 came out and I (barely) remain in the top two-hundred in Trackmania Nations.

I like me a good arcade racer.

For me what I don't have in skill I have in determination. Motorstorm RC is very bite sized and it stung my Trials fiber. I can easily restart a race 20-30 times just to get it done flawlessly. It doesn't frustrate me at all, it's actually what I find addictive about games like that.

They say practice makes perfect. Well it's true, you don't get good times without playing the sh*t out of every single race and eventually you get good enough that instead of re-doing the same race 20 times you redo it only 10 times. Then only 5

Unless you have people like Baladec and Cyrax on your friends' list that is. Then you're knee deep in poop. If they see you beat their time they won't stop until they've beat you.

I once was first of my friends list. Then I took a Baladec to the friends list.

interstate78 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

If it's any consolidation, I was number two in the US for a bit when Trackmania 2 came out and I (barely) remain in the top two-hundred in Trackmania Nations.

I like me a good arcade racer.

For me what I don't have in skill I have in determination. Motorstorm RC is very bite sized and it stung my Trials fiber. I can easily restart a race 20-30 times just to get it done flawlessly. It doesn't frustrate me at all, it's actually what I find addictive about games like that.

They say practice makes perfect. Well it's true, you don't get good times without playing the sh*t out of every single race and eventually you get good enough that instead of re-doing the same race 20 times you redo it only 10 times. Then only 5

Unless you have people like Baladec and Cyrax on your friends' list that is. Then you're knee deep in poop. If they see you beat their time they won't stop until they've beat you.

Amen. The miniature time investment, ghosts, and just how fun the game is in general has made it a lot more appealing to me than other competitive games like it. I loved Frozen Synapse, but I'd take 20 minutes for just one turn. The quick play of RC on the go, or even during a commercial, is just golden.

interstate78 wrote:

That's the official list, I need a list of the ones that work but arent listed :/

Here you go.

kuddles wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

That's the official list, I need a list of the ones that work but arent listed :/

Here you go.

WTF! My Vita is complete.

spider_j wrote:

I know you guys aren't cheating! I'm just amazed. I chip away to get a 3 medal time, and when the leader board loads up, you guys are consistently an insurmountable distance ahead of me! Very impressive.

C'mon cyrax, what was the snarky comment?

Yeah... Those guys Hammer me.

kuddles wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

That's the official list, I need a list of the ones that work but arent listed :/

Here you go.

Thanks! that's exactly what I was looking for

So Unit 13 is actually pretty fun. I'm rather enjoying it. I just wish it used the motion-control aiming from Uncharted. I find the combination of motion and stick aiming to be really handy.

No noteworthy games this week, but a few demos.

wipEout 2048
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Ridge Racer
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen

Isn't the Vita kind of slow on releases for a while now? I look at Gamefaqs and I don't see much in the way of releases moving forward.

Unless they have some indie surprises, we're dry for at least a month. The Okami looking side-scroller comes out next week, but after that we've got a wait.

Retro Studios cast-offs are working on the Vita's MGS HD port.

I guess whatever project they had with EA fell through. I can't believe they survived for four years.

DSGamer wrote:

So Unit 13 is actually pretty fun. I'm rather enjoying it. I just wish it used the motion-control aiming from Uncharted. I find the combination of motion and stick aiming to be really handy.

I found myself missing that quite quickly. I loved the way I could teak my aim with the motion controls. I hope developers learn the power of that sort of thing fast.

Well, I decided to sell my physical copy of Lumines and get the Digital version

I think going forward all the games I know I will buy and keep and that I know I will want to play from time to time I will get on PSN

... and it's a lot cheaper on PSN since it's 36.99$ and I also save 15% taxes

interstate78 wrote:

Well, I decided to sell my physical copy of Lumines and get the Digital version

I think going forward all the games I know I will buy and keep and that I know I will want to play from time to time I will get on PSN

... and it's a lot cheaper on PSN since it's 36.99$ and I also save 15% taxes

That's pretty much what I'm goin to be doing as well. Anything I know I will want to play on occasion such as hot shots and fighters, digital it is.

obirano wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

Well, I decided to sell my physical copy of Lumines and get the Digital version

I think going forward all the games I know I will buy and keep and that I know I will want to play from time to time I will get on PSN

... and it's a lot cheaper on PSN since it's 36.99$ and I also save 15% taxes

That's pretty much what I'm goin to be doing as well. Anything I know I will want to play on occasion such as hot shots and fighters, digital it is.

This is kind of where I'm headed. Stuff I know I'll play temporarily, then be done with (Uncharted, Unit 13, yearly sports titles) is a physical buy.

MLB 12 may be a digital for me since I only buy those types of games every several years.

obirano wrote:

MLB 12 may be a digital for me since I only buy those types of games every several years.

Sure. I picked it up on the card because I assume I'll want to get it the next year or the year after. I can see that going both ways, though, honestly. Given the pick up and play nature of RTTS I might want to have it on the device all of the time. I still don't have a feel, being new to the series, about how often I'll pick it up.

And I don't even know if I'll hold on to the PS3 version. So far it's just been a way for me to play a Vita game on my HDTV.

DSGamer wrote:

And I don't even know if I'll hold on to the PS3 version. So far it's just been a way for me to play a Vita game on my HDTV.

Is there a big difference visually between the two versions? I feel like the Vita version is extremely close to what I'd get on a console but haven't tried it

interstate78 wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

And I don't even know if I'll hold on to the PS3 version. So far it's just been a way for me to play a Vita game on my HDTV.

Is there a big difference visually between the two versions? I feel like the Vita version is extremely close to what I'd get on a console but haven't tried it

There really isn't. That's why I said what I said. I honestly feel like I don't get much (in terms of what I play) by having the PS3 version. I get to use a controller and play games on an HDTV, which doesn't look much better, sound different or play different at all as far as I can tell. I'm sure there are features like online league that I could take advantage of, but I'm not. And to top it all off the cloud save is such a hassle that there isn't even much incentive to use it for that.

So MLB 12 for the PS3 might be going back to my local game store sooner rather than later. We'll see.

As a newcomer to the series, how accessible is it to you? I would also be new to the series.

obirano wrote:

As a newcomer to the series, how accessible is it to you? I would also be new to the series.

That's the reason I never got into the series. I've tried the last few year's demos and they've remained inaccessible. Are there any features that complement the Vita?

So, this is Nerdy, but my enormous beef with Motorstorm RC is that for as awesome a game as it is, it doesn't actually model RC car behavior! The first thing every RC racer learns is that you adjust your attitude in mid-air with throttle in break. So much so that with a beefy stadium truck you can force a car to do a complete flip in either direction in mid air. This is absolutely critical in races as you try to flatten out all your landings from big jumps. But in this game, you just launch off every jump and pray, getting big bouncy landings all the time.

A minor complaint on a fun, free game, but still ...

rabbit wrote:

So, this is Nerdy, but my enormous beef with Motorstorm RC is that for as awesome a game as it is, it doesn't actually model RC car behavior! The first thing every RC racer learns is that you adjust your attitude in mid-air with throttle in break. So much so that with a beefy stadium truck you can force a car to do a complete flip in either direction in mid air. This is absolutely critical in races as you try to flatten out all your landings from big jumps. But in this game, you just launch off every jump and pray, getting big bouncy landings all the time.

A minor complaint on a fun, free game, but still ...

I imagine you have a similar beef with RC Pro Am and the fifteen other games that also don't do this?

EDIT:

Obligatory:

rabbit wrote:

So, this is Nerdy, but my enormous beef with Motorstorm RC is that for as awesome a game as it is, it doesn't actually model RC car behavior! The first thing every RC racer learns is that you adjust your attitude in mid-air with throttle in break. So much so that with a beefy stadium truck you can force a car to do a complete flip in either direction in mid air. This is absolutely critical in races as you try to flatten out all your landings from big jumps. But in this game, you just launch off every jump and pray, getting big bouncy landings all the time.

A minor complaint on a fun, free game, but still ...

Does it model sitting around waiting for your battery to charge?

obirano wrote:

As a newcomer to the series, how accessible is it to you? I would also be new to the series.

I think it's pretty accessible. It's fairly intuitive. The hitting is very difficult. And the whole concept of the Road to the Show is not terribly rewarding if it feels like it's impossible to get there. That's my opinion so far. But I find it easy to play. Granted, I haven't used pulse pitching or analog hitting yet. So I'm sticking with the baby controls I used in MLB for the PSP.

rabbit wrote:

So, this is Nerdy, but my enormous beef with Motorstorm RC is that for as awesome a game as it is, it doesn't actually model RC car behavior! The first thing every RC racer learns is that you adjust your attitude in mid-air with throttle in break. So much so that with a beefy stadium truck you can force a car to do a complete flip in either direction in mid air. This is absolutely critical in races as you try to flatten out all your landings from big jumps. But in this game, you just launch off every jump and pray, getting big bouncy landings all the time.

A minor complaint on a fun, free game, but still ...

But what about the rich lore?

DSGamer wrote:

Granted, I haven't used pulse pitching or analog hitting yet. So I'm sticking with the baby controls I used in MLB for the PSP.

Pulse pitching is the Devil incarnate.

interstate78 wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

Granted, I haven't used pulse pitching or analog hitting yet. So I'm sticking with the baby controls I used in MLB for the PSP.

Pulse pitching is the Devil incarnate.

Yes, I find that I get easily hypnotized by pulse pitching.