The Playstation Vita Catch-All

cyrax wrote:

I've been managing well on my 4GB card that came with the system, but I also don't have any digital versions of the bigger retail titles. I've been keeping Mutant Blobs, MS RC, the AR games, two PSP games, demos when they come out, and a handful of podcasts on Vita. I've had to move a PSP game, or a bigger demo, when it gets full, but nothing unreasonable. Course, I'll eventually have to get something bigger as the choices increase, but I hope it's not before a nice memory sale.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/q0alD.jpg)

That's better.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/0W5tf.jpg)

My favorite game of the year so far, MotorStorm RC, no doubt.

*Picks up Vita*

Edit:

And done. Cyrax, I think you need to update your game. You're not appearing in my leader boards.

cyrax wrote:
DonD wrote:

How do you get a screenshot off the Vita. I know how to take one, but not how to upload it.

Transfer it to your PS3 or PC via Content Manager. Simple as that!

There are also Vita apps for Twitter and Flickr; I think both support photo uploads. (Facebook presumably does as well.)

ahrezmendi wrote:
obirano wrote:

I got Blazblue

This is the only part of that whole post which matters. Friend me up, and let's throw down in the virtual battlefield! Who are you playing?

Don't know yet. Never played. I left the Vita at home this morning and it was downloading it then.

So I finally got to try out MotorStorm RC last night. The controls take some getting used to but man, what a fun little game! It's like Re-Volt from back in the day which I loved, except this isn't blisteringly hard like Re-Volt was. Didn't come close to beating anyone's times but I'll get there.

I need to play more motor storm. Heck I need to play more of everything. I do think that maybe my install of mutant blobs is corrupted though. After a short while, the sound just ends up being a hissing, anyone else run into this?

I need to play more motor storm. Heck I need to play more of everything. I do think that maybe my install of mutant blobs is corrupted though. After a short while, the sound just ends up being a hissing, anyone else run into this?

Announced Vita games from the Sony press meeting this morning:

-Phantasy Star Online 2 (characters can be transferred between PC and Vita) *squee*
-Super Robot Wars
-Heroes Zero no Kiseki Evolution
-Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
-a new game from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

As of now, all of these have been announced in Japan only.

SuperDave wrote:

Announced Vita games from the Sony press meeting this morning:

-Phantasy Star Online 2 (characters can be transferred between PC and Vita) *squee*
-Super Robot Wars
-Heroes Zero no Kiseki Evolution
-Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
-a new game from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

As of now, all of these have been announced in Japan only.

I have a feeling that Super Robot Wars, Heroes Zero, and Keiji Inafune's game wont make it to the US.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

Keiji Inafune's game wont make it to the US.

Considering his stance on the Japanese industry, I'd say that opinion couldn't be further from the truth. PSO2 PC hasn't been announced for international waters, so there's a decent chance we may not see the Vita version. A shame, because the game looks honestly good, and fun.

anyone have experience with the CTA grips? I think I would like something since holding the thing is annoying after awhile and the CTA ones are better reviewed on Amazon so I am torn.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

PDP PSVita Trigger Grips
IMAGE(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XD7%2BACejL._AA300_.jpg)
CTA Digital PS Vita Hand Grip
IMAGE(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cl2tX4h9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg)

I have the bottom one on order. I'll let you know when I get it in and get a chance to try it out.

I'm also hoping some GWJ people try out the grips before I get one. I typically play at home where I can have longer gaming sessions and avoiding hand cramping is important.

I have the PDP PSVita Trigger Grips and they are really, really nice.

I recommend the wholeheartedly

So I finished Uncharted: Golden Abyss just now. If you have a Vita and like this series at all, play it. The reviews in general were way too hard on it. This was an excellent Uncharted game and though the writing in the first half was a little weak, the second half was amazing and without a doubt, this was better than the first Uncharted on PS3. Still had great characters and story and amazing voice acting, as well as sounding as good as the PS3 games and almost looking as good, all on a handheld. The environments were stunning and the xploration was as fun as ever. Tablets simply can't do this. The touch screen stuff was all pretty much a waste of time but...

Spoiler:

The two big fistfights at the end used it pretty well I thought, even though they were basically quick time events. I really liked the fact that Drake's movements mimicked the motions you were being asked to perform. A nice touch.

Unfortunately, it was still mired down in the awful combat formula that still hasn't changed. Omniscient enemies that can take an entire clip of ammo to the face, clumsy cover system that often doesn't block bullets, side characters that are useless in combat (made worse by the fact that in some encounters, they can die but will run right out into a field of bullets) and situations where you're funnelled down narrow corridors with tons of enemies in front of you that will just crowd you in if you don't take them down fast enough. It's out and out bad and I don't know why they haven't updated this.

In the end though, it only mildly hampers the experience. This is a full 8-10 hour AAA Uncharted game on a handheld and it works brilliantly. I ended up renting this but I probably will buy it just to have as I could see myself playing it again. Unless you hate the series, this is a no-brainer for Vita owners.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

So I finished Uncharted: Golden Abyss just now. If you have a Vita and like this series at all, play it. The reviews in general were way too hard on it. This was an excellent Uncharted game and though the writing in the first half was a little weak, the second half was amazing and without a doubt, this was better than the first Uncharted on PS3. Still had great characters and story and amazing voice acting, as well as sounding as good as the PS3 games and almost looking as good, all on a handheld. The environments were stunning and the xploration was as fun as ever. Tablets simply can't do this. The touch screen stuff was all pretty much a waste of time but...

Spoiler:

The two big fistfights at the end used it pretty well I thought, even though they were basically quick time events. I really liked the fact that Drake's movements mimicked the motions you were being asked to perform. A nice touch.

Unfortunately, it was still mired down in the awful combat formula that still hasn't changed. Omniscient enemies that can take an entire clip of ammo to the face, clumsy cover system that often doesn't block bullets, side characters that are useless in combat (made worse by the fact that in some encounters, they can die but will run right out into a field of bullets) and situations where you're funnelled down narrow corridors with tons of enemies in front of you that will just crowd you in if you don't take them down fast enough. It's out and out bad and I don't know why they haven't updated this.

In the end though, it only mildly hampers the experience. This is a full 8-10 hour AAA Uncharted game on a handheld and it works brilliantly. I ended up renting this but I probably will buy it just to have as I could see myself playing it again. Unless you hate the series, this is a no-brainer for Vita owners.

I disagree with some of what you said PA. I agree with pretty much everything in your first paragraph but I feel that Golden Abyss is not as good Uncharted one story wise.

Spoiler:

I felt the fistfights were a let down because they basically follow the formula of the first Uncharteds boss fight, except there was no player control and you end up covering the screen with you finger during half the fight rather than watching Drake do cool things.

I also don't know why some people feel the combat is horrible. The enemies are not omniscient, although they basically share vision. You can flank them in areas where you can move around enough, but for the most part the areas of the game and the way engagements are staged essentially makes enemies aware of your location at all times.

The cover system works quite well. Throughout the game enemies use the same cover Drake does and they stick out slightly because they do not take full advantage of cover. Drake will often have some part of his body that is exposed to fire. When you are getting shot by enemies while behind cover you are typically being shot by an enemy with higher elevation than Drake, or you are being shot while you are near the edge of cover and your body is sticking out slightly. In the situations where Drake gets hit while in cover essentially tells you not to pop out because they will nail you.

However I will concede that there are probably a few pieces of cover where you probably shouldn't be hit.

Golden Abyss is definitely a great game. Amongst the other Uncharted games I can't say it better than 1 & 2, but it might be better than 3. I'll have to replay 3 to really decide if I feel GA is better than 3.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

Golden Abyss is definitely a great game. Amongst the other Uncharted games I can't say it better than 1 & 2, but it might be better than 3. I'll have to replay 3 to really decide if I feel GA is better than 3.

I find it amazing that we're having this discussion about a handheld game

interstate78 wrote:

I find it amazing that we're having this discussion about a handheld game :)

Yeah, I didn't think about that when I wrote my last post. Hopefully we will have many more games of this level on our handhelds.

The combat is definitely up to personal taste and I know there are a lot of people out there who do enjoy it. I've played a lot of cover-based shooters and just based on what I like, I don't enjoy it. I really don't like any game that makes the enemies take so many bullets to kill and this is second only to Freedom Fighters on that front. I'd rather have a greater group of enemies to fight than a few which take a whole clip each. Of course, more enemies means more AI which may be beyond the means of the CPU but yeah, this formula doesn't work for me. The good thing about the Uncharted games is I love all the other aspects of the games so much that it's more than worth me tolerating one aspect I dislike.

And yeah, that this discussion is over a handheld game is amazing and how surprising that is should showcase some of the promise of the Vita.

grobstein wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:

1.5 trips through Voyage, 476,000 points in Lumines. I am invincible!

Tempted to take up your challenge right now but my workday would vanish.

Friend me up.

Also, Has anyone been playing unit 13? I'm having a blast with the game. It is scratching the itch Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 has left me with.

I love you, Dave, but this has got to stop.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/XzUhA.jpg)

Before

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rIBtI.jpg)

After

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/TEzHn.jpg)

So, we've had .002, .001, and .000 differences in our scores.

One other thing, I really dislike the drift tracks. Grrr.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

The combat is definitely up to personal taste and I know there are a lot of people out there who do enjoy it. I've played a lot of cover-based shooters and just based on what I like, I don't enjoy it. I really don't like any game that makes the enemies take so many bullets to kill and this is second only to Freedom Fighters on that front. I'd rather have a greater group of enemies to fight than a few which take a whole clip each. Of course, more enemies means more AI which may be beyond the means of the CPU but yeah, this formula doesn't work for me. The good thing about the Uncharted games is I love all the other aspects of the games so much that it's more than worth me tolerating one aspect I dislike.

And yeah, that this discussion is over a handheld game is amazing and how surprising that is should showcase some of the promise of the Vita.

I can understand the complaint about the toughness of enemies. It isn't a problem for me most of the time because I pretty much only go for head shots. However there were a number of areas towards the end of the game where I stopped trying to be accurate and it did take 3-5 bursts of 3+ rounds from the FAL or M4. I justify it as Drake takes more or equal total damage than enemies and they wear body armor. I also haven't had much of a problem with it because I never felt overwhelmed by enemies, so even when they could soak up damage they never really got up close to me. I had more problems with this issue in Uncharted 3 though. There were plenty of areas that I felt overwhelmed and enemies did not die fast enough.

I need help finding a proper list of PSP games that can be bought on PSN and transferred using the Ps3

halp!

Here.

Minis don't work yet, and I believe all these are viewable in the Vita's store.

That's the official list, I need a list of the ones that work but arent listed :/

I know the answer, but I'm not telling cyrax and interstate because they are clearly cheating at Motorstorm. :p

spider_j wrote:

I know the answer, but I'm not telling cyrax and interstate because they are clearly cheating at Motorstorm. :p

Hey, I seem to be pretty good at a game for once, so don't hold it against me!

*deletes snarky comment*

I cheat and I have no shame

Seriously though, I'm flattered someone would say I cheat. Thanks!

Ok so what I wanted to know is if the EXCELLENT Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded would work and it does. I bought it but did not install it on my PS3 and connecting my Vita with the cable I used media manager and simply copied it.

Here's a list of PSP games I got that are not on Sony's list and that I recommend

- Baseball Stars 2
- Strikers 1945 Plus
- Little Big Planet
- Killzone Liberation
- Valkyria Chronicles 2
- Crush

I'm planning on buying Valkyria Chronicles 2, but I have 2 Vita games I want to put more time into before I go to games that have been out for a long time.

interstate78 wrote:

- Crush

Quoting just for emphasis. Crush was one of my fav handheld games of the last cycle, period. By all logic, the 3DS reboot (can I call it that?) should swap in a sea of appropriate genious, but I just cant get past the way they've gone with an art style that looks pieced together from Tonker Trucks over the genuine sense of insomnia that the PSP original had. It was great. And, since it seems to work on Vita, everyone should buy it.

I know you guys aren't cheating! I'm just amazed. I chip away to get a 3 medal time, and when the leader board loads up, you guys are consistently an insurmountable distance ahead of me! Very impressive.

C'mon cyrax, what was the snarky comment?