The Playstation Vita Catch-All

EverythingsTentative wrote:

CFW or not, this is the kind of remote play goodness I hope to see announced in a few days.

For those confused by "~", they'll be cutting the price by $50 over here, likely announced on the 20th.

That's neat, how about a price drop on memory too ;).

Very exciting news, hopefully this will help push the system. They also mentioned a while back that the next gen console will work better with the vita, games working on both etc, I am excited to see what they do with it.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

That's neat, how about a price drop on memory too ;).

The price point I am (no doubt futilely) waiting for to pick up a 32GB card is $50. Considering the prices on SDHC memory, that is the most generous price I am willing to pay.

I upgraded my 3DS memory this weekend and it cost me $18 for 16GB. And I didn't even really shop around. And I bought the class 10 memory. The gulf between memory prices for one handheld and the other couldn't be wider.

I give Sony a couple of months to realize just how great was that price drop idea and it'll be worldwide !

Yeah, Soul Sacrifice is one of the highest games on my Vita want-to-buy list.

DSGamer wrote:

I upgraded my 3DS memory this weekend and it cost me $18 for 16GB. And I didn't even really shop around. And I bought the class 10 memory. The gulf between memory prices for one handheld and the other couldn't be wider.

Sometimes I think Sony is bipolar. Because the Vita's memory price-gouging is a complete 180 from the PS3 having the absolute best memory storage solution of the current console generation - standard hard drive compatibility!

Farscry wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I upgraded my 3DS memory this weekend and it cost me $18 for 16GB. And I didn't even really shop around. And I bought the class 10 memory. The gulf between memory prices for one handheld and the other couldn't be wider.

Sometimes I think Sony is bipolar. Because the Vita's memory price-gouging is a complete 180 from the PS3 having the absolute best memory storage solution of the current console generation - standard hard drive compatibility!

Yeah. The further in you get to the Vita's life it's hard not to wonder if they shouldn't have swung for the fences more or not bothered at all. Backtouch is pretty dumb. Take away that back touch panel and only have one skew (3G is worthless) and maybe you can squeeze some onboard memory or include at least an 8GB memory card for free. That and a quicker, steeper price drop and they may be in better shape. The announcement last night didn't do much for me. I still think the Vita is the better system. Although Fire Emblem currently has it sitting on my dresser, I still prefer the Vita overall. But I think the future for it is bleak.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Bah, custom firmware. I was hoping I could watch all the NBA All Star festivities tomorrow and finish off NNK at the same time, but I guess not.

Too bad you need CFW. That feature would be badass!

I've tried using that back panel for Hot Shots golf, but it's just too awkward between position and low sensitivity to make it a regular UI element for gaming. I think the front touch screen for the Vita would have been more than sufficient and helped reduce costs.

Farscry wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I upgraded my 3DS memory this weekend and it cost me $18 for 16GB. And I didn't even really shop around. And I bought the class 10 memory. The gulf between memory prices for one handheld and the other couldn't be wider.

Sometimes I think Sony is bipolar. Because the Vita's memory price-gouging is a complete 180 from the PS3 having the absolute best memory storage solution of the current console generation - standard hard drive compatibility!

I believe they phased that out with the later-model PS3s. I've said this before, but they seem to have taken a lesson from what MS has gotten away with in regards to accessory pricing.

The Wii U allows for any standard hard drives, but I think it gets weird with regards to tying a hard drive/SD card to a particular physical system. A non-issue for me but I was listening to an older podcast and the people were bitching about this because that's a detriment to how they do their jobs.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Farscry wrote:

Sometimes I think Sony is bipolar. Because the Vita's memory price-gouging is a complete 180 from the PS3 having the absolute best memory storage solution of the current console generation - standard hard drive compatibility!

I believe they phased that out with the later-model PS3s. I've said this before, but they seem to have taken a lesson from what MS has gotten away with in regards to accessory pricing.

Even the most recent PS3 slimer model can accept a standard laptop hard drive as a replacement. The one caveat is with the 8gb internal flash model sold only in the EU region which requires the caddy sold separately, as the unit doesn't have a hard drive or caddy to start with.

Farscry wrote:

Yeah, Soul Sacrifice is one of the highest games on my Vita want-to-buy list.

I'm really curious to find out how much this differs from Ragnarok Odyssey. I really like the emphasis on skill over stats, the same reason I love Demon's/Dark Souls so much, but Ragnarok Odyssey I think could have used just a *bit* more RPG in it. If Soul Sacrifice has that bit more RPG in it, then I think it'll be my next Persona 4 Golden.

Speaking of Persona 4 golden:

Spoiler:

I just finished up summer, captured the "killer", and just started school again. Without any spoilers about how much do I have left?

You're about half-way done, maybe a bit more.

ahrezmendi wrote:
Farscry wrote:

Yeah, Soul Sacrifice is one of the highest games on my Vita want-to-buy list.

I'm really curious to find out how much this differs from Ragnarok Odyssey. I really like the emphasis on skill over stats, the same reason I love Demon's/Dark Souls so much, but Ragnarok Odyssey I think could have used just a *bit* more RPG in it. If Soul Sacrifice has that bit more RPG in it, then I think it'll be my next Persona 4 Golden.

There's more RPG, but it's structured very similar to RO. Playing the demo, the only major difference I saw was the ability to change your skills, which gives you alot more freedom than a handful of classes.

Did the demo show any ability to increase/alter your HP/MP levels? I like the ability to customize your skills, that alone is enough to make me interested.

No, but I do know that's part of their 'sacrifice or save' premise. I don't remember hearing if you're able to alter those choices later.

What was the overall verdict on RO anyway? I can't really find any definitive reviews from known sources online, but I feel like I know what you guys like. Would a MH fan who was able to eke out some appreciation for Gods Eater Burst be able to find some joy in this game while he waits for the 3DS MH?

I really enjoyed it, and loved the skill based combat. The only reason I haven't put more time into it is P4G.

I'm the exact opposite; I did not enjoy RO. It was repetitive to a fault and the combat quickly became uninteresting.

necroyeti wrote:

What was the overall verdict on RO anyway? I can't really find any definitive reviews from known sources online, but I feel like I know what you guys like. Would a MH fan who was able to eke out some appreciation for Gods Eater Burst be able to find some joy in this game while he waits for the 3DS MH?

It's good, not great. The combat is the star. There's a demo available.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...

I finished up Rocketbirds last night and have mostly positive things to say about it:

+It was a unique and stylish story/property with some chuckles, fun dialog, and animation

+There was a good combination of lite puzzles + platforming

+The controls were responsive and marked the first time I've seen the back panel used that felt like a good fit (projectile weapons)

+The game took about 10-12 hours of gameplay to make it through the 15 chapters

+The trophies might be interesting enough to warrant a replay

Two negative comments come to mind:

-The characters shrink down to tiny proportions at a couple of points in the game (rocket pack phases) that make it difficult to play on the Vita (PS3 game first, right?)

-The game could have been just a -little- longer but I won't complain too much given the price point

All in all I'm glad I played it and supported the Vita platform with my purchase. I'd recommend a play through to those of you with more than just a passing interest in this type of Vita game but those of you on the fence might want to wait for a small sale.

Wow. Just looked at a trailer for Rocketbirds. What a gorgeous game. Looks like a lot of fun. No wonder the Vita suffers so much considering little gems like that come out and no one notices.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

I really enjoyed it, and loved the skill based combat. The only reason I haven't put more time into it is P4G.

SuperDave wrote:

I'm the exact opposite; I did not enjoy RO. It was repetitive to a fault and the combat quickly became uninteresting.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not a big MH fan, but I love the Souls games, and I thought RO had some aspects of both that could make it enjoyable. You do have to enjoy repeatedly going back to the same zones and fighting the same monsters, so in that respect it's like MH. You also really have to love mastering the specific way your character class fights, so in that respect it's like * Souls, only your ability set is not yours to customize but is dictated by your class choice (which you can change at any time).

Since cyrax pointed out there's a demo, I would give that a try before buying. If you're an MH fan, you may find the crafting system a bit lacking, but you can probably find a class that you really enjoy fighting with. I hear it's also a very different game when you play co-op, but I never got the chance.

Thanks, guys! I forgot about the demo. I'll give it a whirl.

Even if it's not super in-depth, that's probably OK. I assume it'll get dropped pretty quick when MH3U comes out.