The Playstation Vita Catch-All

ClockworkHouse wrote:

XSEED is localizing Ys: Memories of Celceta for this summer. The Ys games, if you're not familiar with them, are Japanese ARPGs.

I'm tempted to go back and play a PSP Ys game after I'm done with Persona 4. A little tempted to play Persona 3 Portable, but that might be too much.

I still have Y's Origin and Y's Oath in Felghana on PC from the Steam sale, and I haven't played them. I think I have to rectify that before I consider buying another one.

I'm super excited about Muramasa, as I've said elsewhere.

I'm super disappointed to hear bad reports about Ninja Gaiden. I know it's an older game, and GiantBomb also complained about the camera, but I didn't think it would be bad enough to wreck the game. Guess I'll have to try it myself once I finish this dungeon in P4G.

EDIT: I played a bit of Sigma Plus over lunch, and I see what folks are complaining about. Having seen the game on Xbox, I can say with confidence that this is an issue with the game that they didn't fix, which is disappointing. Ninja Gaiden 2 had a much better camera, so I recommend giving Sigma 2 Plus a shot when it comes out.

EDIT 2: I gave Sigma Plus some more time over a break, and I think you all should give it another try. Yeah, the camera sucks ass, but there's a reason why this game got a 91 on Metacritic. The combat engine is really solid, and there are few games that give you that feeling of "yeah, I'm super awesome" when you perfectly time some dodges, counter-attacks, and clear a whole room full of ninjas.

I played Sigma Plus up until the first boss fight (dude with nunchucks). After about 10 tries fighting to actually hit him while dodging around, camera getting hung up on walls or dodge rolls in unintended directions, I said "Eff this game, I'm out" and uninstalled.

DSGamer wrote:

"Let's Fish! Hooked On" is available on PSN to those interested. $20.

Hell yeah. I forgot this even existed and had to go look it up. Now that I remember, I'm downloading it now.

necroyeti wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

"Let's Fish! Hooked On" is available on PSN to those interested. $20.

Hell yeah. I forgot this even existed and had to go look it up. Now that I remember, I'm downloading it now.

Let us know what you think. I'm still on the fence.

I bought it. Feedback when I get a chance. I'm still playing Persona currently.

Cobble wrote:

I played Sigma Plus up until the first boss fight (dude with nunchucks). After about 10 tries fighting to actually hit him while dodging around, camera getting hung up on walls or dodge rolls in unintended directions, I said "Eff this game, I'm out" and uninstalled.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the few games to flatten my ass as a gamer that I struggled through from beginning to end. Damn it's a fine game. It's deep and unapologetic about you not being able to do what it asks of you.

SuperDave wrote:
Cobble wrote:

I played Sigma Plus up until the first boss fight (dude with nunchucks). After about 10 tries fighting to actually hit him while dodging around, camera getting hung up on walls or dodge rolls in unintended directions, I said "Eff this game, I'm out" and uninstalled.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the few games to flatten my ass as a gamer that I struggled through from beginning to end. Damn it's a fine game. It's deep and unapologetic about you not being able to do what it asks of you.

As much as I appreciate this, and I'm really enjoying Sigma Plus, the camera really and truly is terrible. It's one thing to use a locked camera at points (which they do to hide chests), but when the camera is free moving it really needs to not do stuff like flip 180 for no apparent reason, wedge itself in a corner because it hit 3 walls, and more. I think it's a testament to the quality of the gameplay that it's enjoyable *despite* the camera.

This just makes me more excited for NG2 Sigma Plus, 'cause I played the living tar out of that game on 360 and loved every moment of it.

From what I recall, the camera in NG2 was far worse because enemies would attack you from off-camera all too often and give you zero reference to what you were fighting.

Same thing happens in this. It's been a long time since I played NG2, so it's quite possible the camera was just as bad. I can't imagine it being worse.

Oh, you might be talking about the blasted missile launcher ninjas. Those guys were jerks.

Regarding the difficulty in Ninja Gaiden

I think we're so accustomed to not having to make an effort to be "good" at a game now that when we face a game like it we're repulsed and think that they designed it wrong.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
necroyeti wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

"Let's Fish! Hooked On" is available on PSN to those interested. $20.

Hell yeah. I forgot this even existed and had to go look it up. Now that I remember, I'm downloading it now.

Let us know what you think. I'm still on the fence.

I haven't had too much opportunity to play since I've been at a conference all week, but my initial impressions are not great. I will post more once I get a chance.

interstate78 wrote:

Regarding the difficulty in Ninja Gaiden

I think we're so accustomed to not having to make an effort to be "good" at a game now that when we face a game like it we're repulsed and think that they designed it wrong.

it has nothing to do with difficulty. it has everything to do with a crap camera and inprecise controls. I honestly can't tell if its hard or not I keep getting sidetracked by the bad.

Cobble wrote:
interstate78 wrote:

Regarding the difficulty in Ninja Gaiden

I think we're so accustomed to not having to make an effort to be "good" at a game now that when we face a game like it we're repulsed and think that they designed it wrong.

it has nothing to do with difficulty. it has everything to do with a crap camera and inprecise controls. I honestly can't tell if its hard or not I keep getting sidetracked by the bad.

I agree the camera is crap, I don't agree that the controls are imprecise. I've been able to pull off every move I wanted, when I wanted, at the time I wanted. When I take damage or die, it's entirely my fault for not watching my opponents closely enough. Sometimes the camera makes that hard, by hiding projectile throwing enemies off screen, but Ryu controls exactly how I need him to.

The problem with the Vita version is that, because it's running at 30fps, there's noticeable input lag that does not exist in other versions of the game. Polygon reported this in their review if I remember correctly.

SuperDave wrote:

The problem with the Vita version is that, because it's running at 30fps, there's noticeable input lag that does not exist in other versions of the game. Polygon reported this in their review if I remember correctly.

The input lag is exactly what I meant. And also directional jumping is weird but I think that's more camera but I did chalk it up to the controls.

Really? I haven't noticed it, but that sucks if it wrecks it for other people. This is the first game to tear me away from Persona 4 Golden, so I'm impressed and having a blast.

I decided to buy Sly Cooper for Vita only after all. 3.5gb is too much for me and I had a coupon so it ended up being 20$ before taxes.

I really enjoy it so far, the presentation is flawless and I really like the gameplay. No gimmicks, just some good ole' platforming fun

interstate78 wrote:

I decided to buy Sly Cooper for Vita only after all. 3.5gb is too much for me and I had a coupon so it ended up being 20$ before taxes.

Ouch on the size - I got the PS3 version, and was excited to have a Vita copy as well to download, but that may have to wait until I buy a bigger card.

SuperDave wrote:

The problem with the Vita version is that, because it's running at 30fps, there's noticeable input lag that does not exist in other versions of the game. Polygon reported this in their review if I remember correctly.

I just ending replaying Ninja Gaiden: Black instead.

Good decision. I want to return to Sigma at some point myself.

In the latest Sony earnings, they revealed that the Vita's selling even worse and they've lowered sales forecasts for something like the fourth time. Dammit, this is heartbreaking for someone like me who loves the Vita to death. There's got to be a way they can figure this out.

Sony needs to ditch their damn televisions. At least if the company was profitable this wouldn't be as big a deal, but having to lower expectations in one of two divisions that is actually making them money when the company is bleeding out from other divisions is really bad.

I have to eat my own words, and admit that it's really the price. If the Vita were $200 instead of $250, the story would be totally different. That $50 may not matter much to me, or to some of us here, but it's apparently really important to a lot of people. Keeping the price where it is creates this downward spiral, where they can't get units into peoples hands, and 3rd party developers shift attention to the systems that will sell more copies of their game (3DS). The forecast of games for the two systems is the hard evidence, it's pretty stark for the Vita.

Don't you dare tell cube I said any of this.

Sony sure is if they don't stem the loss of money. Did I already mention that they should ditch their crappy TV division?

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

In the latest Sony earnings, they revealed that the Vita's selling even worse and they've lowered sales forecasts for something like the fourth time. Dammit, this is heartbreaking for someone like me who loves the Vita to death. There's got to be a way they can figure this out.

Their new sales forecast is 7 million units sold of both the PSP and the Vita by March 31st. As I understand it, that's 7 million units sold in the current fiscal year from April 1st of last year to March 31st of this one.

So far, the Vita and the PSP have sold 4,596,137 units since April 1st. That leaves 2,403,863 combined sales left to go for the remainder of this month and the whole of next month. The only month in which combined PSP and Vita sales have topped 1 million units was this past December; otherwise, they manage about 417,000 combined units per month.

Unless I've misunderstood their timeframe or have gotten bad sales figures, even Sony's revised forecast seems woefully optimistic. Unless they were to announce some kind of major price cut or other big incentive that would dramatically spur sales, I don't see how they could hope to meet their mark.

I know I wanted a Vita for Persona 4, but I didn't actually jump on it until the $180 Black Friday bundle deal. I'm curious how many other people bought it at that price.

I think that accounts for a huge chunk of the > 1m sales Clockwork just mentioned. I know a ton of people who jumped on a Vita at $180-$200.

Not sure what ditching the TV division would do.. the PlayStation division isn't making money either..

Not sure what ditching the TV division would do.. the PlayStation division isn't making money either..