The Playstation Vita Catch-All

EverythingsTentative wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

A question and a complaint:

Question: I've been buying a lot of stuff I missed on PSP. Does anyone know the details regarding PSP titles with data installs? I have two, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Duodecim 012: Dissidia Final Fantasy. My instinct was that a data install would be unnecessary because the game is already installed to the memory card. However, Google is giving me conflicting answers, none of which are official in any way. Some say the installs still help load times, some say that games have features (voices in MGS:PW, item previews in MHFU) disabled without the installs, some say the installs are totally useless.

Complaint: I have come to dislike the PSP's analog sticks. They're okay for analog use, if a bit finicky, but they are all but useless for digital use. Navigating menus using them is troublesome, but most critically they are terrible for controlling the camera in MHFU (twin sticks is one reason I gave this game another try). Vertical camera control in MH has always been digital, and it's very hard to keep the vertical orientation level while rotating horizontally. It's not just a universal analog stick issue, either - it is the same setup on Wii and controls much better.

The only response I have to your complaint is, PSP games were not designed to be used with two analog sticks, so when you map that function to the right stick it may be a little clunky.

It is much less clunky playing MHFU with the right analog stick. You no longer need the "MH Claw" to see things.

The menu navigation issues aren't unique to PSP titles, though. On 360 and Wii I can often use the analog sticks interchangeably with the d-pad. It just seems these sticks aren't as well engineered as they could have been.

Blondish83 wrote:

It is much less clunky playing MHFU with the right analog stick. You no longer need the "MH Claw" to see things.

Indeed it is, but it's suboptimal considering it works better still on Wii. Of course it'll all be moot once MH3U comes out, but I think it's worth mentioning in context of the general issue.

In answer to your first question, there is no reason to do the data install when you're playing the digital copy. That feature was only for people who bought UMDs and wanted slightly faster load times, you're already getting the fastest load times.

But, going back to his original query, some older games don't have the smarts to realise when they are running off a memory card instead of UMD and may disable features anyway. Which games is the question I guess.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

But, going back to his original query, some older games don't have the smarts to realise when they are running off a memory card instead of UMD and may disable features anyway. Which games is the question I guess.

I never encountered any PSP game that had features that were only enabled when you did the data install, and I used a homebrew PSP for a good 6 years. Not saying there aren't any, but if there are they are few.

Anyone getting EDF 2017 Portable?

Hesitant on EDF. The appeal of edf is how endearingly bad it is. Not sure that "endearing bad" wont become "bad bad" on a portable.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Anyone getting EDF 2017 Portable?

If the reviews are positive enough, I may be all for it.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Anyone getting EDF 2017 Portable?

$40, to which I say hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to buy it, but not at $40, f that.

Finally found someone who reviews PS Mobile games, since it seems no ordinary site does.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

spider_j wrote:

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

Not bad for a dead system.

DSGamer wrote:
spider_j wrote:

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

Not bad for a dead system. ;)

Zing!

Speaking of mobile, I downloaded the Lemmings demo, but haven't tried it yet. Stupid Persona 4 Golden is so good, it won't allow me to boot any other game.

DSGamer wrote:

Not bad for a dead system. ;)

Don't say that, I've just picked one up! More precisely my GF bought me one for my birthday, and I have enjoyed playing it. PS+ is very good as I now have 4 or 5 free games, which I might not have played otherwise. I hope the alleged FFX HD remake does indeed happen and comes out soon for the Vita, I hope they do make a Bioshock game for it and I'm looking forward to the Killzone iteration for the Vita.

ahrezmendi wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
spider_j wrote:

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

Not bad for a dead system. ;)

Zing!

Speaking of mobile, I downloaded the Lemmings demo, but haven't tried it yet. Stupid Persona 4 Golden is so good, it won't allow me to boot any other game.

I play Dark Souls on my 360 and PS3. I play Advance Wars: Dual Strike and NSMB 2 on my 3DS. But if I turn on my Vita it's all Persona 4.

DSGamer wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
spider_j wrote:

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

Not bad for a dead system. ;)

Zing!

Speaking of mobile, I downloaded the Lemmings demo, but haven't tried it yet. Stupid Persona 4 Golden is so good, it won't allow me to boot any other game.

I play Dark Souls on my 360 and PS3. I play Advance Wars: Dual Strike and NSMB 2 on my 3DS. But if I turn on my Vita it's all Persona 4.

I've watched the video review for Persona 4 on IGN about 5 times now and I just cannot decide whether or not I'd like it. The only JRPG's I really got into were FF7 (playing now btw :)) FF8/9/10/13, Dragons Dogma, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant so I wouldn't say I am a MASSIVE fan of JRPG's, just some games caught my attention. I do occasionally get the urge for the grind of good JRPG's.

dissposablehero wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
spider_j wrote:

cyrax, post 4000 in this thread! Well done.

Not bad for a dead system. ;)

Zing!

Speaking of mobile, I downloaded the Lemmings demo, but haven't tried it yet. Stupid Persona 4 Golden is so good, it won't allow me to boot any other game.

I play Dark Souls on my 360 and PS3. I play Advance Wars: Dual Strike and NSMB 2 on my 3DS. But if I turn on my Vita it's all Persona 4.

I've watched the video review for Persona 4 on IGN about 5 times now and I just cannot decide whether or not I'd like it. The only JRPG's I really got into were FF7 (playing now btw :)) FF8/9/10/13, Dragons Dogma, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant so I wouldn't say I am a MASSIVE fan of JRPG's, just some games caught my attention. I do occasionally get the urge for the grind of good JRPG's.

You'll love it then. It is one of the few JRPGs that cross boundaries of tastes. See the Persona 4 endurance run on Giant Bomb to see more.

Speaking of PS Mobile games, has anyone tried the new one called "Haunt the House: Terrortown?" I saw a trailer on the ps blog and it looked like it could be fun.

dissposablehero wrote:

I've watched the video review for Persona 4 on IGN about 5 times now and I just cannot decide whether or not I'd like it. The only JRPG's I really got into were FF7 (playing now btw :)) FF8/9/10/13, Dragons Dogma, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant so I wouldn't say I am a MASSIVE fan of JRPG's, just some games caught my attention. I do occasionally get the urge for the grind of good JRPG's.

I think you should continue to exercise caution and wait for a sale. I love all those games you mentioned except The Last Remnant, but found Persona 3/4 lacking in the gameplay department. If you come to JRPGs for a grand sense of scale and adventure, I think Persona is lacking. If you're looking for interesting characters and plotwork, it fits the bill, but to me the locales lack variety and battles are too repetitive and frequent.

Plus all the yang that Persona people here sling at Final Fantasy makes me think you're gonna like one or the other.

Jamull99 wrote:

Speaking of PS Mobile games, has anyone tried the new one called "Haunt the House: Terrortown?" I saw a trailer on the ps blog and it looked like it could be fun.

I thought the same and then played the Flash game it's based on. It was, "Inhabit objects and make them shake by mashing buttons and people may or may not be frightened depending on how well the code is performing at this moment: The Game; THAT DOESN'T MATTER, LOOK AT THE PRETTIES: Part 1."

P3P is basically an impulse buy. I think you can get it on PSN for $10. If you enjoy it, you will love P4. I hadn't played any JRPGs until this year, and Persona made me a convert.

Well... last year.

Persona 3 Portable is $20, not $10.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

P3P is basically an impulse buy. I think you can get it on PSN for $10. If you enjoy it, you will love P4. I hadn't played any JRPGs until this year, and Persona made me a convert.

Well... last year.

Almost the exact same story for me.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Persona 3 Portable is $20, not $10.

It was $10 many times last year, and will likely do so again.

I dunno if I'd call a week in August and a week in October "many times," but I'm glad you agree he should wait for a sale

Seriously though, disposablehero - if $40 ain't really a thing and you're curious about Persona I think Golden is probably a good place to find out where you stand. If that's too much, $20 for P3P is lower risk, and the games are very similar. And I'm just a guy who liked the same games as you listed but didn't like Persona 3/4 (I did like Persona 1 and 2, though).

Blind_Evil wrote:

I dunno if I'd call a week in August and a week in October "many times," but I'm glad you agree he should wait for a sale

Seriously though, disposablehero - if $40 ain't really a thing and you're curious about Persona I think Golden is probably a good place to find out where you stand. If that's too much, $20 for P3P is lower risk, and the games are very similar. And I'm just a guy who liked the same games as you listed but didn't like Persona 3/4 (I did like Persona 1 and 2, though).

You're only counting PSN

Keep an eye on sites like Amazon. I got my P3P code from them for $10. I've also purchased download codes on Best Buy.

...huh. Will do! I'd like to play the PSP versions of P1 and P2 but can't justify the PSN prices.

Question though. Where are the download codes at Amazon? I can't seem to find them. Are they only available sometimes?

Blind_Evil wrote:

...huh. Will do! I'd like to play the PSP versions of P1 and P2 but can't justify the PSN prices.

Question though. Where are the download codes at Amazon? I can't seem to find them. Are they only available sometimes?

They stopped selling PSN codes sometime last year, but they've reached another agreement recently. So far you can get PSN cards through Amazon, and perhaps online codes like this will come back in stock. I'll make sure to post if I see anything show up. Currently, the only game code I see is this deal for Patapon 2 for $4.03. That deal is a card you receive in the mail, but I hope they can distribute codes electronically again soon. I know Best Buy can do it today.

mateofalcone wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

...huh. Will do! I'd like to play the PSP versions of P1 and P2 but can't justify the PSN prices.

Question though. Where are the download codes at Amazon? I can't seem to find them. Are they only available sometimes?

They stopped selling PSN codes sometime last year, but they've reached another agreement recently. So far you can get PSN cards through Amazon, and perhaps online codes like this will come back in stock. I'll make sure to post if I see anything show up. Currently, the only game code I see is this deal for Patapon 2 for $4.03. That deal is a card you receive in the mail, but I hope they can distribute codes electronically again soon. I know Best Buy can do it today.

I know that Gamestop will also have sales on PSN codes for PSP games. I picked up Disgaea recently for $7.49 or so. Cheap Ass Gamer has a really good PSN deal thread that I keep an eye on. I'm certain there are many more GWJ members that have that thread bookmarked as well.

Blind_Evil wrote:
dissposablehero wrote:

I've watched the video review for Persona 4 on IGN about 5 times now and I just cannot decide whether or not I'd like it. The only JRPG's I really got into were FF7 (playing now btw :)) FF8/9/10/13, Dragons Dogma, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant so I wouldn't say I am a MASSIVE fan of JRPG's, just some games caught my attention. I do occasionally get the urge for the grind of good JRPG's.

I think you should continue to exercise caution and wait for a sale. I love all those games you mentioned except The Last Remnant, but found Persona 3/4 lacking in the gameplay department. If you come to JRPGs for a grand sense of scale and adventure, I think Persona is lacking. If you're looking for interesting characters and plotwork, it fits the bill, but to me the locales lack variety and battles are too repetitive and frequent.

Plus all the yang that Persona people here sling at Final Fantasy makes me think you're gonna like one or the other.

That's a good point actually (about the sale) My guess is, it'll be on PS+ for free or a heavily reduced price sometime this year as its probably the most critically acclaimed title on the PS Vita (well it is according to metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/vita?view=condensed&sort=desc) so I think Sony will want to promote it as much as possible.

I think your also right with "you're gonna like one or the other" I think that's true of most games of a similar genre (eg. you may like Forza Horizon but dislike TDU2) but especially when comparing JRPG's.

So I just bought a vita. And Persona.

And that's about it, since I already have or have beaten most of the PSP games I actually want to play.

Also, given my history with non-Nintendo system purchases, there will be a price cut in the next 6-8 weeks.

Because that's what happens to me. Thankfully, I got both the game and vita through a deal with my brother.