NBA Season 2011-2012

It was his first back-to-back game, he was probably tired in the 2nd half. He hasn't played a lot of minutes until like a week ago and there are not many practices this season so he is probably playing his way into shape. Guess we'll see tomorrow night if his 2nd half is any better.

LIN-SANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lin's game-winner vs Toronto:

Either there were a ton of Knicks fans in Toronto, or the Toronto fans were excited by Lin as well, but that road crowd pretty much erupted when he made that 3. What a great story he's turning out to be. Hope he does well back in the Garden tonight.

Cover of the New York Post: "Amasian"

http://instagr.am/p/HBptKGqWoc/

It's been a crazy story for a week, but it keeps topping itself!

Jeff-66 wrote:

Lin's game-winner vs Toronto:

Either there were a ton of Knicks fans in Toronto, or the Toronto fans were excited by Lin as well, but that road crowd pretty much erupted when he made that 3. What a great story he's turning out to be. Hope he does well back in the Garden tonight.

Toronto's Asian population is about 30% of the city and the Raptor's web page had Lin's picture on the first screen for a couple days in order to ramp up ticket sales.

That video also doesn't capture the game-tying 3-point play that he made with just over a minute to play. Which is a shame, because that would be an even more dramatic sequence.

*edit for accuracy, it was a 3 point play, not a three pointer

Only 10 pts tonight for Lin, but he had a career high 13 assists in just 26 minutes played. The Knicks cruised to their 7th straight win.

For fun I just looked up tickets for the Knicks @ Orlando game in April, the tickets have been jacked up to $95 minimum for nosebleed level. By comparison, tickets to other similarly ranked teams (.500'ish) can be had for $15 to $25 in the same seating zones.

a.k.a. Ticketmaster loves Jeremy Lin.

Look at all those double digits in the Knicks's box score. There's just something wonderful about that even spread of efforts.

Thirteenth wrote:

Look at all those double digits in the Knicks's box score. There's just something wonderful about that even spread of efforts. :D

I actually had people saying that Lin's 10 point effort was a joke and he's now back down to earth. I then pointed out he was 4 of 6 on shooting in only 26 minutes of playing time, and his 13 assists was a much bigger stat number to look at.

Jeremy Lin has rejuvenated life into NY basketball.

I actually had people saying that Lin's 10 point effort was a joke and he's now back down to earth. I then pointed out he was 4 of 6 on shooting in only 26 minutes of playing time, and his 13 assists was a much bigger stat number to look at.

Jeremy Lin has rejuvenated life into NY basketball.

He would have had more points but the lead was so huge he got to take a rest, which is good since he played 43 minutes in Toronto.

Gdawg27 wrote:
I actually had people saying that Lin's 10 point effort was a joke and he's now back down to earth. I then pointed out he was 4 of 6 on shooting in only 26 minutes of playing time, and his 13 assists was a much bigger stat number to look at.

Jeremy Lin has rejuvenated life into NY basketball.

He would have had more points but the lead was so huge he got to take a rest, which is good since he played 43 minutes in Toronto.

Yeah. Also, not bad for a back to back. What I love the most about the whole Lin thing is what it's done to Chandler. Chandler plays so well with a good PG.

Kush15 wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:

Look at all those double digits in the Knicks's box score. There's just something wonderful about that even spread of efforts. :D

I actually had people saying that Lin's 10 point effort was a joke and he's now back down to earth. I then pointed out he was 4 of 6 on shooting in only 26 minutes of playing time, and his 13 assists was a much bigger stat number to look at.

Jeremy Lin has rejuvenated life into NY basketball.

Yeah, the low score is just the result of Lin doing what he's supposed to do. It's great that he's such a good scorer, but I'm not sure I want him to take on the brunt of scoring responsibility in the ideal scenario. I would go as far as to say that to D'Antony, the outcome against Kings is an affirmation of his strategy. Kings' generally poor defense sets up a show case of how the ideal Knicks offense will look like. With the point guard properly distributing the ball in response to the opponent's defensive weaknesses, everyone on the team gets his fair chance at the basket.

Yeah but it is too bad his 20 point / 7 assist per game streak ended. He was tied for longest streak in Knicks history, one more game and he would have had the record.

I watched part of it, and saw him make three great passes, including an awesome alley-oop, that was beautifully timed, and a wicked bounce pass assist. He's got skills, no question.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah but it is too bad his 20 point / 7 assist per game streak ended. He was tied for longest streak in Knicks history, one more game and he would have had the record.

Yeah, but that seems to go against his character, doesn't it? He seems genuinely more concerned with the Knicks win streak than with any personal records he may be setting.

Paleocon wrote:
LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah but it is too bad his 20 point / 7 assist per game streak ended. He was tied for longest streak in Knicks history, one more game and he would have had the record.

Yeah, but that seems to go against his character, doesn't it? He seems genuinely more concerned with the Knicks win streak than with any personal records he may be setting.

All good points, guess Lin just can't have them all.

IMAGE(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6847208679_80b60259a6_o.jpg)

+1 Jayhawker

Ouch!

Thirteenth wrote:

Ouch!

9 turnovers by Lin. Despite his 26 pts, I thought he played pretty poorly, and was a large part of the reason they lost. Late in the game, he made some terrible drive/layup attempts that I thought he had no business trying, like he was trying to force it. His 10 pt, 13 assist performance in the previous game was a far better showing, IMO.

Jayhawker wrote:

Way to stay classy, ESPN!

That's bad, but it only appeared on the mobile site, and only for about 20 minutes.

Later ESPN apologized.

Ugh. That's like calling Carmello Anthony a porch monkey. WTF?

Do we think that's intentional or the outcome of posting stuff to the web with little or no editors involved?

DSGamer wrote:

Do we think that's intentional or the outcome of posting stuff to the web with little or no editors involved?

Just my 2¢, but I don't think it was intentional.

a) it makes no grammatical sense, either directly or as a wordplay/pun if meant as a slur.

b) 'chink in the armor' is a common expression used to describe someone in his situation -- showing flaws before not seen. He was on a seemingly invincible run, then made 9 TO's in a game in which they lost to one of the worst teams in the league.

c) it's possible the person that wrote it was unfamiliar with the word as slur. Perhaps not likely, but possible.

d) making such a slur intentionally is a sure way to get fired, and who wants to get fired from a cool ESPN job?

Could it have been intentional? sure, but I doubt it, and I think it was probably more of an 'omfg what have I just done?' moment (it was removed in 20 minutes). Either way, it was unfortunate, and understandably offensive.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2012/02/...

At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.
Saturday we apologized for two references here. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.

My first reaction was that it was unintentional and just an unfortunate coincidence. But, the tone of ESPN's apology and their subsequent reaction sure make it seem like it was intentional.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

My first reaction was that it was unintentional and just an unfortunate coincidence. But, the tone of ESPN's apology and their subsequent reaction sure make it seem like it was intentional.

Not necessarily. It could have been, or the person could have been axed as an appeasement move, regardless if he knowingly made the slur. I still doubt that it was intentional, it just seems like it would be too brazen and (obviously) dangerous to your job.

I don't buy it. The far more likely explanation is that the headline writer thought he was being super clever. They do that like when the San Diego Chargers beat the tar out of the KC Chiefs, the headline read "Gates BBQ's KC". He probably also thought that it was somehow okay to take this kind of measure at an Asian American athlete because the "model minority" is generally not very vocal about these kinds of insults.

In fairness to the writer, that did not come out of a vacuum, but rather was just the most egregious of a number of anti-Asian offenses leveled at Lin. Mike Wise of the WP noted that Lin's face appeared on the Madison Square Garden jumbotron superimposed over a fortune cookie and wondered how that was any different than superimposing a black athlete's face on a watermelon or bucket of fried chicken.

I applaud ESPN's taking responsibility for the incidents, doing the right thing, and sending the right message. This sort of thing has no place in sports journalism or, for that matter, modern American society.