So I moved to Seattle

Congrats! Welcome to the party, as it were.

Time to move again. Just across town: from an apartment Downtown to a rental house in the Wedgwood neighborhood.

We're shooting for next Sunday, July 29 (though that depends on whether the previous tenants actually move out early like the landlord thinks they will).

If anyone has some time to help out, we'd really appreciate it. I can provide beer and pizza on the unloading side of things. Probably either Zeke's, or Garlic Jim's for the pizza. Open to suggestions on the beer.

Thanks!

Garden Ninja wrote:

Time to move again. Just across town: from an apartment Downtown to a rental house in the Wedgwood neighborhood.

We're shooting for next Sunday, July 29 (though that depends on whether the previous tenants actually move out early like the landlord thinks they will).

If anyone has some time to help out, we'd really appreciate it. I can provide beer and pizza on the unloading side of things. Probably either Zeke's, or Garlic Jim's for the pizza. Open to suggestions on the beer.

Thanks!

Wedgwood is awesome, I hope you enjoy it. I'll see what I can do on Sunday, I might not be in town.

Sorry - won't be in town yet but I could use the moving karma.

Side question: who are the good ISPs in town? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-stop cable/Internet provider and Uverse (my current favorite) isn't available in my neighborhood. Are there other recommendations for quality providers? Horror stories about outfits I should avoid?

Trashie wrote:

Sorry - won't be in town yet but I could use the moving karma.

Side question: who are the good ISPs in town? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-stop cable/Internet provider and Uverse (my current favorite) isn't available in my neighborhood. Are there other recommendations for quality providers? Horror stories about outfits I should avoid?

Comcast is the only game in town for both cable and Internet. They can jerk you around with pricing because of the monopoly and their customer service is quite sh*tty.

The actual cable and Internet they provide is solid but I suggest looking into a combo of DirecTV for cable and Comcast for Internet (particularly if you are an NFL fan).

I would be willing to make homemade cupcakes with my fudge frosting for any moving minions who were willing to help us shlep some stuff across town.

I think I can swing by for a while to help. Friday is showing Pyroman around town and Saturday is the Highlander Games.

I highly recommend if you haven't packed already, try and get some Frogboxes. It made our last move so so easy, I don't think I can move again without them.

Trashie wrote:

Sorry - won't be in town yet but I could use the moving karma.

Me neither

Trashie wrote:

Side question: who are the good ISPs in town? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-stop cable/Internet provider and Uverse (my current favorite) isn't available in my neighborhood. Are there other recommendations for quality providers? Horror stories about outfits I should avoid?

As noted, Comcast aren't necessary great. I had them in one apartment, and the service itself was awful - my connection would drop several times a day. We just switched from Century Link's DSL service to Comcast for a serious bump in bandwidth. The service from CenturyLink was great, although their high-speed services aren't necessarily in every neighbourhood, so check to see if they offer a bandwidth that works for you. For what it's worth, we had their 7 Mb/s service, and it was plenty enough to watch Netflix, albeit not in HD. Anything faster than that isn't available all over town.

It's worth noting the Comcast service we have now is much better than the flaky crap we had at our old apartment 3 years ago.

SixteenBlue wrote:

I'll see what I can do on Sunday, I might not be in town.

Edwin wrote:

I think I can swing by for a while to help

Thanks! If you are able to make it, we'd appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I still haven't heard back from the landlord yet. I really hope we aren't going to be forced into moving Wednesday.

Edwin wrote:

I highly recommend if you haven't packed already, try and get some Frogboxes. It made our last move so so easy, I don't think I can move again without them.

We're mostly packed already, and we should have enough boxes / totes for what we have left. I will definitely keep them in mind though.

Trashie wrote:

Side question: who are the good ISPs in town? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-stop cable/Internet provider and Uverse (my current favorite) isn't available in my neighborhood. Are there other recommendations for quality providers? Horror stories about outfits I should avoid?

Go CenturyLink. If you are in one of their upgraded neighborhoods (VDSL2?), you can get speed up 40 Mbps. Downloading from Steam i was getting 5 MB/sec. I downloaded full games in less than 10 minutes. It was truly wonderful.

Edwin wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Side question: who are the good ISPs in town? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-stop cable/Internet provider and Uverse (my current favorite) isn't available in my neighborhood. Are there other recommendations for quality providers? Horror stories about outfits I should avoid?

Go CenturyLink. If you are in one of their upgraded neighborhoods (VDSL2?), you can get speed up 40 Mbps. Downloading from Steam i was getting 5 MB/sec. I downloaded full games in less than 10 minutes. It was truly wonderful.

Well, it looks like my 'hood is capped at 7 Mbps downloads. However, it's quite a bit cheaper than Comcast. A similar package comes in around $90 bundling DirectTV with the CenturyLink DSL when Comcast wanted around $130.

Hi guys, I just found this website and am disappointed I didn't find it sooner. I'm 28, recently married, and a lifelong gamer.

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work. My wife just flew out today to scope out neighborhoods, although I did explore the area by bike when I visited a few weeks ago (Downtown up to Ballard, east to Freemont and Wallingford, and back down through Capital Hill). She's going to focus on Capital Hill as we like trendier areas.

I just wanted to say Hi and hope to get to know people on this board. I frequent NeoGAF but I don't post much. I'm hoping this site will be a bit more friendly!

emrebfg wrote:

Hi guys, I just found this website and am disappointed I didn't find it sooner. I'm 28, recently married, and a lifelong gamer.

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work. My wife just flew out today to scope out neighborhoods, although I did explore the area by bike when I visited a few weeks ago (Downtown up to Ballard, east to Freemont and Wallingford, and back down through Capital Hill). She's going to focus on Capital Hill as we like trendier areas.

I just wanted to say Hi and hope to get to know people on this board. I frequent NeoGAF but I don't post much. I'm hoping this site will be a bit more friendly! :)

I'd consider Ballard as well then.

This site is definitely more friendly.

Funny story..

I'm moving to Seattle late Sept/early Oct as well..

Don't worry, we don't bite. Much.

Dr.Ghastly wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle late Sept/early Oct as well..

emrebfg wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work.

Man - no wonder rent is so high!

Trashie wrote:
Dr.Ghastly wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle late Sept/early Oct as well..

emrebfg wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work.

Man - no wonder rent is so high!

Yeah the g/f and I have been looking around and while I make decent money, I'm also somewhat cheap so its hard to narrow down places to look at when we fly up to do an in person inspection/tour.

Dr.Ghastly wrote:
Trashie wrote:
Dr.Ghastly wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle late Sept/early Oct as well..

emrebfg wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work.

Man - no wonder rent is so high!

Yeah the g/f and I have been looking around and while I make decent money, I'm also somewhat cheap so its hard to narrow down places to look at when we fly up to do an in person inspection/tour.

What kind of place are you looking for?

Since you're all in the real estate market, check out http://seattle.curbed.com/

SixteenBlue wrote:
Dr.Ghastly wrote:
Trashie wrote:
Dr.Ghastly wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle late Sept/early Oct as well..

emrebfg wrote:

I'm moving to Seattle from Chicago on 8/13 to work for a local gaming company doing data analytics work.

Man - no wonder rent is so high!

Yeah the g/f and I have been looking around and while I make decent money, I'm also somewhat cheap so its hard to narrow down places to look at when we fly up to do an in person inspection/tour.

What kind of place are you looking for?

2 bedroom (preferably 2 bath but that's just her..) apt for now. We currently are in a 2br 1 bath 864 sqft apt in Phoenix AZ so something similar or even a little bigger really. I'm open to the idea of house rental..I'm just not sure about it. Would probably look to buy a house of my own after a year or so and we get settled.

A friend of mine recommends http://www.hotpads.com - that's how she found their place.

Spoke to the landlord today and he said the previous tenant is moving out this weekend. He wasn't sure yet which day, but said worst case, we can move stuff into the basement and/or kitchen.

Edwin / SixteenBlue, will you guys be able to help?

Trashie wrote:

Sorry - won't be in town yet but I could use the moving karma.

No worries. It will come around. I'd be happy to help you move when you get to town. I can't do Saturdays, but any other day is fine.

Damn it, I've been told we have a family event on Sunday that I didn't know about. I'm to be introduced to the extended family since I haven't met them since we got married, among other things. This is going to be super awkward. I'm not very good around strangers.

Edwin wrote:

Damn it, I've been told we have a family event on Sunday that I didn't know about. I'm to be introduced to the extended family since I haven't met them since we got married, among other things. This is going to be super awkward. I'm not very good around strangers.

No worries. Family stuff is important.

I managed to wrangle a couple of guys from work into helping.

Leave Friday AM. Taking our time as I'll have my dog with me and we want to stop and see some friends in Spokane. Madison to Chamberlain to Billings to Spokane to Seattle. Be there soon.

Trashie wrote:

Leave Friday AM. Taking our time as I'll have my dog with me and we want to stop and see some friends in Spokane. Madison to Chamberlain to Billings to Spokane to Seattle. Be there soon.

Coincidentally we're also leaving soon, Monday AM. Which neighborhood are you moving to? We'll be right on the border between First Hill and Capitol Hill.

EDIT: Anyone know why my tags, e.g. [quote], aren't working? Is it because I'm too new?

emrebfg wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Leave Friday AM. Taking our time as I'll have my dog with me and we want to stop and see some friends in Spokane. Madison to Chamberlain to Billings to Spokane to Seattle. Be there soon.

Coincidentally we're also leaving soon, Monday AM. Which neighborhood are you moving to? We'll be right on the border between First Hill and Capitol Hill.

EDIT: Anyone know why my tags, e.g. quote, aren't working? Is it because I'm too new?

Yup. Give it time and they'll work, including your old ones retroactively. It's to prevent spamming.

emrebfg wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Leave Friday AM. Taking our time as I'll have my dog with me and we want to stop and see some friends in Spokane. Madison to Chamberlain to Billings to Spokane to Seattle. Be there soon.

Coincidentally we're also leaving soon, Monday AM. Which neighborhood are you moving to? We'll be right on the border between First Hill and Capitol Hill.

Up in North Capitol Hill. About a block north of Volunteer Park.

So I'm moving with g/f to Seattle sometime early Oct. As part of this we are flying out to Seattle the weekend of labor day to go apt hunting and could use advice. Below are the apts we are planning on visiting. Generally speaking we're looking for a 2bdr/1.5-2 bath (will take 1 bath) in a good area with perks like a W/D and Cable internet (or fios :P) is a must as I am keeping my current job and will be working remotely (woooo!) Any suggestions on good areas etc would be much appreciated!

Ballinger Commons
http://www.breproperties.com/washing...

Brentwood Square
http://m-d-c.com.concentric.com/bren...

Clocktower Apts
http://www.clocktower-apartments.com...

Parkwood at Mill Creek
http://www.breproperties.com/washing...

Citywalk
http://www.breproperties.com/washing...

The Aspens @ Ridgeview
http://www.aspensridgeview.com/

Willowcrest
http://willowcrest.investco.com/Will...

The Avenues
http://avenues.tarragon.com/TheAvenu...

Forget about FIOS in the city itself. Frontier (which purchased FIOS from Verizon) is outside the city and county. Century Link is what you want so you don't have to deal with the Comcast cap.