Penguincon 2011: It was Fedorable

Will Matt Smith or Karen Gillan be there? Because that would be awesome!

I make no promises. I'll have my PR team contact their PR team.

Trueheart, I need you to contact the BBC for something.

Awesome. I'll let the team know.

Toph, you've been handed a new assignment. Let me know if there are any questions.

oilypenguin wrote:

Yes. First couple seasons of the new series are on Netflix. I highly recommend watching the first 2 seasons to see if you like it.

Fantastic show. Christopher Eccleston's "Doctor" is kind of cool but David Tennant's version is awesome! I haven't gotten caught up to where the new guy takes over so I can't comment there. Sounds like I have a few months to push through.

I was thinking of proposing a screening of Scott Pilgrim, The Wizard (yes, the Fred Savage movie) or Rocky Horror Picture Show (Dear God, the mess!) ... ?

LockAndLoad wrote:
oilypenguin wrote:

Yes. First couple seasons of the new series are on Netflix. I highly recommend watching the first 2 seasons to see if you like it.

Fantastic show. Christopher Eccleston's "Doctor" is kind of cool but David Tennant's version is awesome! I haven't gotten caught up to where the new guy takes over so I can't comment there. Sounds like I have a few months to push through.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can stream all (recent) seasons for free. That's where I've been watching and I'm at the S2 finale. Then, I start watching Torchwood.

LockAndLoad wrote:

I was thinking of proposing a screening of Scott Pilgrim, The Wizard (yes, the Fred Savage movie) or Rocky Horror Picture Show (Dear God, the mess!) ... ?

I'm not sure what kind of licensing nonsense would be involved in showing streaming content from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Considering that paying for a venue makes us semi-legit, such concerns are actually valid now. No one would be financially hurt in the transaction, but if an enterprising member of the hotel staff takes note, it could be an issue. And let's not forget that regardless of the fact that it would do no real financial harm to the rights holders, they tend to get pissy and inflate the numbers.

oilypenguin - Hi. I am registering today (Wed., June 8).

Do I register myself, complete the $60 payment, then go back and register my wife and do another $60 payment?

Or is there a way I can make a $120 payment one time?

Also what registration refund options are there?

Strangeblades wrote:

oilypenguin - Hi. I am registering today (Wed., June 8).

Do I register myself, complete the $60 payment, then go back and register my wife and do another $60 payment?

Or is there a way I can make a $120 payment one time?

Also what registration refund options are there?

Please register both separately (I already got confirmation of your wife).

NO REFUNDS!

(but in the event you can't come, we'll work something out and I'll paypal $ back to you)

So what's the price we should get on a 2 DOUBLE BEDS POOLSIDE NONSMOKING, if we book at the PenCon rate? This Holiday Inn website is very confusing.

Oops. I registered but I didn't pay my fee yet. And now I can't find a button to take me to the paywall.

Signed,

A guy floundering with online button-stuff

Except for the prices I mentioned for specific rooms, if you want a room that isn't through that link you should call the desk and tell them you're coming for Gamers with Jobs and the date, as far as I know, this is the only way to get a discount and the free breakfasts every morning (also the only way the hotel can track our numbers).

And let me know when they screw your order up. Cheeto didn't have the best experience when he called but it got fixed quickly.

And next year, we're going to have Strangeblades beta test the website before we go live =)

If that happens to anyone else, shoot me a PM and we'll take care of it.

Strangeblades wrote:

Oops. I registered but I didn't pay my fee yet. And now I can't find a button to take me to the paywall.

Signed,

A guy floundering with online button-stuff :(

You should be good to follow the link to edit your registration profile (provided in your registration email), you should have a "Pay Now" button staring you in the face.

You're the best, TH.

I guess I should be talk about our refund policy. I don't have one, not officially, and I was planning on treating each case on an individual basis.

Rule of thumb, though: If you cancel BEFORE we order T-shirts, you should get your entire fee back and if you cancel after the T-shirt order is in, you'll be sent most of your fee and find a t-shirt in the mail addressed to you. If you just paid the regular $35 fee, then you should get the whole thing back, hopefully. Again, it depends on when we run into the problem.

$60 or $35, if you cancel, be prepared for a guilt trip about taking money away from the babies. We are raising money for Child's Play, after all. =)

Also, I have basically nothing to do with hotel prices, registration, and cancellations now that we're booked. Any changes you need to make to your reservation needs to go through Holiday Inn. I'll help if I can, so still let me know if something is up.

Also note, we'll be introducing a way to upgrade the swankiness if you commit to the smelly standard now.

Will we?Absolutely. I distinctly remember mandating that way back in the initial planning stages.

trueheart78 wrote:

We could always add a swag-only package. Of course, it wouldn't be cheap. Someone other than oilypenguin would need to be in charge of sending out such stuff, as you might not get it until May even though it was available in October...

You say that like it's a bad thing, given that it'll be May before I really get back into a normal routine most likely.

oilypenguin wrote:

har de har har.

You got your stool, stow it.

I'm hesitant to add a swag-only package since that's that much more swag that needs lined up. Despite the jokes, I really, really don't want to add more stuff for us to do by also needing to mail stuff out. Since, at least the plan is, all our swag will come from sponsors or, if there is a charge, we're just breaking even on it.

And oddly enough, I did think about the issue of mailing stuff, which at least in my case isn't as big a deal, given that there are many goodjers in my vicinity who might not mind so much. Maybe. But with that said, I would advocate paying the standard price, and you guys can use the money not going towards my physically being there as S&H.

Torchlight 2 will have LAN support.

Guess what I'll be playing come October?

oilypenguin wrote:

Torchlight 2 will have LAN support.

Guess what I'll be playing come October?

Ooh, Ooh, I know this one, I know this one.

It'll be My Little Ponies, right? Am I right?

IMAGE(http://www.spontaneousderivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/haters-gonna-hate.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.abload.de/img/1293755149344-28n12973ei1k.jpg)

Why am I suddenly very interested in seeing this show?

Maybe we should have one big screen which is just running a My little pony: Friendship is magic marathon...? We could mix in some other cult cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Cow'n'Chicken or Ren and Stimpy.

I've got the first season of Samurai Jack I can bring along

Luggage wrote:

Maybe we should have one big screen which is just running a My little pony: Friendship is magic marathon...? We could mix in some other cult cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Cow'n'Chicken or Ren and Stimpy.

I really think that's venturing into "we need to license this" territory since we're in a public place.

Does it count if we're watching it as a joke? Can't we just tell people to

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ShyRangerSMRPG/Twilight-deal-with-it.gif?t=1298406982)

My God, what have I done?

Although the Ren & Stimpy idea I could actually get behind. But only if someone brings a Log (TM).

If were're still looking for games to play I'll throw Bloodline Champions out there.
It's free, fairly small, doesn't take a lot to run, and easy to learn.
http://youtu.be/wZxR-8SkKFk

It can do anything from 1v1s to 5v5s