How's work been?

Sounds good but treacherous! My best advice is to put in your hours at work and then go home. Leave work at work. Do not put in 10+ hours a day!

LeapingGnome wrote:

Sounds good but treacherous! My best advice is to put in your hours at work and then go home. Leave work at work. Do not put in 10+ hours a day!

AGREED.

You will burn out. The race is long so pace yourself. Also be sure to regularly check with your manager to share your concerns about workload. I would absolutely listen to someone on the team that was worried about overwork. I would listen even harder when they are a high impact teammate who plays a central role in our T3 priorities. You can try to offer possible options but it's your boss's job to figure that out. They shouldn't want you to to burn out anymore than you do if they're a solid leader.

Learn to say no; and in a connected lesson, learn to delegate. Note that delegation, done right, also trains future leaders.

In the name of the Emperor I declare this month a lost cause and order exterminatus.

For the last few months I have been somewhere between 2 to 4 people in the office and next month is the absolute earliest I may get help and I doubt I will get full help at least another 4 months if everything works out perfectly.

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

My company just declared a mandatory return to office. So much for their BS about being “all-in” on remote work.

Stele wrote:

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

So sorry to hear this. Best of luck to you!

Stele wrote:

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

IBM? I think they have offices down there.

Stele wrote:

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

So sorry Stele. I have been there. You will land on your feet, hopefully soon.

I have been fully remote since June of 2018, so I was already used to this remote work thing. Unfortunately, my company has gone to mandatory show up to the office 2 days a week for folks within half an hour drive from an office and quarterly visits to offices for those outside of that distance. And it looks like they aren't budgeting for travel.

My nearest office is 55 miles away, but it is only for secure government so it isn't one I can access. The next closest one is 270 miles away and in downtown NYC. Both are sales offices with no one in my group or management chain in them. The closest office that provides any utility for me would be RTP (320 miles away) and my team is homed in Wichita (1250 miles away).

I am sincerely concerned that I will become an administrative casualty.

Paleocon wrote:

I have been fully remote since June of 2018, so I was already used to this remote work thing. Unfortunately, my company has gone to mandatory show up to the office 2 days a week for folks within half an hour drive from an office and quarterly visits to offices for those outside of that distance. And it looks like they aren't budgeting for travel.

My nearest office is 55 miles away, but it is only for secure government so it isn't one I can access. The next closest one is 270 miles away and in downtown NYC. Both are sales offices with no one in my group or management chain in them. The closest office that provides any utility for me would be RTP (320 miles away) and my team is homed in Wichita (1250 miles away).

I am sincerely concerned that I will become an administrative casualty.

I feel this very much. My company just dropped a 39 days / 13 week quarter requirement for all employees regardless of distance to any office. This is a shift from it being "recommended" with a ~1 hr commute time max. We'll have the option to select remote as an employment classification, but with impacts to career path as well as acknowledging that we may be "more vulnerable" to "business unit reorganization events"

The running hypothesis is that this following some Bain Capital style playbook where market caps dictate global headcount.

I'm ~250 miles from the closest Main Office. Most of my team is in other states. My direct manager is in Texas. My counterparts are in Israel or India on very unaligned timezone differences. Some of them aren't permitted to remain in the office during our working hour periods.

Just something planned with little to no regard for feasibility or impact.

If you need WFH and are open to consulting, there are plenty of firms that will support you.

Tyrian wrote:

The running hypothesis is that this following some Bain Capital style playbook where market caps dictate global headcount.

Hey guess who owns my old company...

We've changed from "we embrace remote" to "you need to live withing 60 miles of one of our hubs". They also want us in two-three days a week if possible. What isn't solidified is how close you actually need to be to one of the hubs before your expected in office. Instead you have to apply for an exception that isn't approved by any of your managers but instead goes through HR.

In my case I'm 42 miles from the Charlotte hub in practice during rush hour that means I would have to make a 90 minute one way drive. I-85 between Gastonia and Charlotte is a sh*t show at all times of the day and nothing gets better once you are in Charlotte proper. Right now I'm still at home awaiting the final word from HR.

The best part of that 90 min one way drive? Once I'm in the office exactly zero of my team or stakeholders are there. All that pointless driving so I can communicate via email and teams, just like at home.

The rumor is the whole stupid enterprise is to get people to leave so the company can save on severance if our proposed merger goes through.

Tyrian wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I have been fully remote since June of 2018, so I was already used to this remote work thing. Unfortunately, my company has gone to mandatory show up to the office 2 days a week for folks within half an hour drive from an office and quarterly visits to offices for those outside of that distance. And it looks like they aren't budgeting for travel.

My nearest office is 55 miles away, but it is only for secure government so it isn't one I can access. The next closest one is 270 miles away and in downtown NYC. Both are sales offices with no one in my group or management chain in them. The closest office that provides any utility for me would be RTP (320 miles away) and my team is homed in Wichita (1250 miles away).

I am sincerely concerned that I will become an administrative casualty.

I feel this very much. My company just dropped a 39 days / 13 week quarter requirement for all employees regardless of distance to any office. This is a shift from it being "recommended" with a ~1 hr commute time max. We'll have the option to select remote as an employment classification, but with impacts to career path as well as acknowledging that we may be "more vulnerable" to "business unit reorganization events"

The running hypothesis is that this following some Bain Capital style playbook where market caps dictate global headcount.

I'm ~250 miles from the closest Main Office. Most of my team is in other states. My direct manager is in Texas. My counterparts are in Israel or India on very unaligned timezone differences. Some of them aren't permitted to remain in the office during our working hour periods.

Just something planned with little to no regard for feasibility or impact.

Yup. The customers I support are in the UK, Japan, Italy, and India. My account teams are scattered between Australia, Ireland, Texas, and Singapore. I get that there is value in meeting with my management chain and some of the folks I interface with in my organizational team, but my job function is pretty ideally set up for remote work.

Even still, the guidance seems very ominous.

Stele wrote:

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

Damn, sorry to hear it. If anything happens to our Angular guy I'll let you know.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Stele wrote:

Got laid off today (restructured, hah). Anybody need a senior software developer with expertise in Angular and C#? Remote preferred. Located in NC.

Damn, sorry to hear it. If anything happens to our Angular guy I'll let you know.

If I'm still looking in a month you might have to cut his brake lines...

Thanks to Captain Yesterday (discord GWJ) I finally got a preliminary call. They filled the position he recommended me for but expect to have more soon and want me to get in a coding test and be front of line for interviews. So that's good.

Finally my Teksystems placement got back to me with another interview for Friday. It's a 1-day-a-week in office, but I can survive that for a bit I guess, if I have to. One of my co-workers from 2 jobs ago used to work at this company and still has contacts there, so I got recommendations from inside and from the staff at Tek. Hopefully that will be enough.

Put in probably 20 other blind applications from LinkedIn, direct job sites, and even the NC unemployment job board. But no nibbles on any of those after a week. Obviously the LI ones say "compare to 50/100 applicants" or whatever... tons of people applying for things. Even when I jump in in the first 12 hours of a posting it's usually 10-20 other applicants already. Seems like without a referral or recommendation I'm not even getting a call right now. Just super busy out there.

So yeah... head's up if anyone sees anything internal or can refer/recommend. PM me here or discord, and we can even connect on LinkedIn if it's something worthwhile. Thanks everybody.

Stele wrote:

senior software developer (10 years experience) with expertise in Angular and C#, but up for anything. Done some minor Python and Java but can learn whatever. Remote preferred. Located in NC.

Stele wrote:

So yeah... head's up if anyone sees anything internal or can refer/recommend. PM me here or discord, and we can even connect on LinkedIn if it's something worthwhile. Thanks everybody.

Plenty of software engineering jobs posted at Microsoft this week. Here’s the US ones (many allow 100% remote):
https://jobs.careers.microsoft.com/g...

So I had my monthly cadence with my boss yesterday and she assured me that I am a unicorn in more ways that she can count and that I really shouldn't worry about how the new return to work rules apply to me. The speculation is that one or a combination of several things will likely happen. One is that the company will magically find the travel budget to accommodate the new requirement for the truly remote employees to make their quarterly in person visits by robbing the employee bonus pool. Another is that they will quietly ignore it and address it as "aspirational" or "when budget allows". And another is that they will eventually drop it entirely after several quarters of deciding it was impractical to implement.

I am still anxious, but it was nice to get some straight talk.

pandasuit wrote:
Stele wrote:

So yeah... head's up if anyone sees anything internal or can refer/recommend. PM me here or discord, and we can even connect on LinkedIn if it's something worthwhile. Thanks everybody.

Plenty of software engineering jobs posted at Microsoft this week. Here’s the US ones (many allow 100% remote):
https://jobs.careers.microsoft.com/g...

And USA Jobs, of course, if you're willing to take a pay cut (probably) for some stability and a lot of bureaucracy.

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Stele wrote:

Unemployment blues

Unemployed for 3 months now(notified before Thanksgiving). I have had 2 interviews, with the second one going to the second interview and they hired another candidate. I either don't hear anything back or "we're sorry but we hired someone more qualified" and I don't even get an interview.

Feeling worthless and that my skills, knowledge and experience at this point doesn't matter. The only saving grace from my previous employer(24.5 years) at least got an ok severance and they paid for a career coach that for the first time in my adult life has helped me get a professional resume.

We're supposed to get 90 days of placement help from Intoo. But that signup email hasn't arrived yet, even though it was supposed to be within 7 days but it's now been 10.

Heard back from that 1 and have a phone interview this afternoon. Hopefully that will go well and I won't need the other crap.

So, I trawled through the "Joy of Programming" thread finding a post from my early days here, where I'd talked about a career change into programming. Like, I looked for over an hour. Not a worthless effort if measured by side-effects (e.g., found some cool links to stuff) but I never found it. My post wasn't useful, but I wanted to reference responses to it, including sentiment along the lines of "Beware what you ask for" and "You might not want to take something you enjoy and make it your day job."

I mention that because I'm feeling less and less motivated to do the development job I've had for a few years now. I know a lot of that has to do with the organization and the kinds of work we do, an increasingly, the kinds of work we want to do but are barred from. That said, I'm wondering if maybe I just don't want to work as a developer.

Maybe it's more that I haven't had a really solid experience as a developer yet. The team I've worked on for about five years now is more sideshow skunkworks than anything, which is enjoyable for its openendedness but also has lacked any kind of mentorship for me. And we have been fighting with the product/engineering set for a couple of years to get access to infrastructure that would let us serve my team's users better. For instance, our company is wholly bought into Microsoft Azure and C#.NET, and have developed internal deployment workflows that can't be made to work with anything else. I was hired as a Python developer, and every attempt to mature my team's practices to use Azure (instead of, for instance, desktop apps) has been uphill. Cool; like with cycling uphill, it's good exercise. But damn it I want to be working in a context fully supported by the product/engineering org for once.

So now I'm looking at opportunities again. Thing is, I'm not convinced I'm qualified to be on the kind of team doing the kind of work I'm looking for. So many things are full-stack now, or if they're Python-driven they also want lots of devops chops I haven't been able to develop on-the-job. And being that I've got lots of things going on outside of work (like many/most people), developing those chops on or off the clock is hard.

I had interest in a role Outside.com had posted a few months ago, but they wanted pretty strong Django (Python web framework) experience along with Python acumen. I can Python well enough but haven't ever done anything with Django or, really, any of bottle, flask, FastAPI, or other Python web frameworks. I started spinning up a personal project that would let me pick that up; I'm really interested in it personally and professionally. But as a Gamer With a Job and a Gamer With a Family, that's not moved much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you considered shifting to another IT role if development isn't working for you? I'm a BA with a very non-technical background, but one of my BA coworkers was a long-running web developer who burned out on coding, and she's thriving as a BA. She's great, and her technical background really comes in handy sometimes.

Yeah my old manager was a dev for years and then switched to QA for a few before he went into management. Pay is less but the work is focused and you've probably already done a ton of the processes as a dev.

I've considered looking at those sorts of roles, but had something similar in my last two roles. They were at least as much about building consensus between stakeholders on requirements and deliverables and deadlines as they were doing any of the work. I might consider it if I could find the right team.

Alternatively, as part of my current role involves providing frontline support for a product my team doesn't own I've thought about looking into some sort of customer support role. I like being able to help people directly, and it's a really great spot to learn how products work. I worry that I wouldn't be able to easily transition into a full developer role, though; and customer support doesn't tend to pay as well as we need right now.

That's good advice though and maybe I'll keep an eye open for those roles as well.

It might also be worth applying for those roles you don’t think you are qualified for. Sometimes job descriptions are aspirational, and there is room for learning some of the things listed on the job, even if the description doesn’t state that.

Have not updated recently but received an offer in writing and signed the paper work Thursday. I start working today! Its a small company, but very similar to my previous job in industry and job.

Awesome, congrats bud!