How's work been?

PowerPoint will actually let you record voiceover and slide timings right in the software. Alternatively, I've used OBS Studio to make lecture videos. It's free and while there is a small learning curve to setting up your sources (screen and audio capture) it works really well. It's also easy to remux files to MP4 if that's what you need.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Need some advice.

I am interviewing for a job and they want me to create a 15- minute video presentation. My plan is to manipulate and talk over a presentation I make with ppt (or the Google equivalent). So I need something that can record my audio (from a mic), my computer screen, and make it in a file format that is easy to share (or upload to YouTube). Any suggestions?

I like ActualDragon’s OBS suggestion.

Another maybe simpler option is to present the slides in a video call in Teams. Use its Standout presenter mode to place yourself overtop or adjacent to the slides. Use its recording feature to record the call as a MP4. Cut it down to the part you want in a video editor. I’ve done that for work stuff before.

Lol my work truck broke down the other day 5 minutes from the terminal. The night before I was like "there are dangerous faults and errors, I think I need a new truck." The yard jockeys ignored it, the mechanic said it was all driver damage and wouldn't do anything. So I drove the truck to Maine. On the way home when it broke down, the brakes went, the transmission went, all electronic communications were severed inside the truck. When I got it to the side of the interstate, I turned the key to turn the engine off, and pulled the key out of the ignition. The engine was still running haaaahhah! The transmission displays had a yellow negative sign. And the other display had two flashing asterisk instead of what gear I was in. I could have been killed if it happened at full speed or killed somebody else if it was in heavy traffic. Good days..

One of the senior union guys told me t refuse the truck and wait for it to be replaced. I knew I would get paid to wait, but I didn't know if I could get paid if they refused to do anything and my trip was cancelled.

That's interesting .

What the what the...

Quote is not edit. But glad you're ok.

Stele wrote:

Quote is not edit. But glad you're ok.

triple posting like that... Are we sure he's ok?

Wow that must have been scary. The crap truck drivers have to put up with is criminal.

Hmm must be demons.

Back to one of my least favorite work activities: arguing with a functional analyst who thinks they're right but are clearly wrong.

It's going to be a long afternoon.

Edit: Well, I have to admit, this has been my best work day in years. We got a good discussion about the issue at the end of the day, and it turns out we were both wrong! We had a long discussion, and realized that all of our solutions are incorrect and that we need to go back to the drawing board.

And then we spent a good hour just trying to design the thing, and realized that there may be a very, very simple solution that will involve us doing... absolutely nothing.

Working at a big company that expects constant high impact is stressful. The pressure to be one of the best when surrounded by incredible people sucks. When that company has recently laid off thousands of people it’s even more stressful. I operate well in stressful situations but I worry how much I can keep it up before burn out. I see it bubbling over into all other parts of my life. My manager tries to help but he’s just as busy and stressed as I am.

pandasuit wrote:

Working at a big company that expects constant high impact is stressful. The pressure to be one of the best when surrounded by incredible people sucks. When that company has recently laid off thousands of people it’s even more stressful. I operate well in stressful situations but I worry how much I can keep it up before burn out. I see it bubbling over into all other parts of my life. My manager tries to help but he’s just as busy and stressed as I am.

Would recommend getting outside help. Therapy and/or professional coaching can be really useful for guidance/context in these situations.

Your mental health is precious and don't ever let your company convince you that you have no value outside of their sandbox. Many other firms out there.

Just got the news today that the hospital I work for decided it’s cheaper to pay for testing than run a lab itself, and is selling my lab to an outside corporation. The new corp promised that everyone will keep their pay and schedules but I’m also cross-trained in one of the few departments NOT being sold, but if I stay I’ll have to move to a different, worse work schedule. I’ve got a short amount of time to decide whether I want to keep my preferred schedule under new masters I know very little about, or stay in my preferred department with familiar masters but in a worse situation.

That's awful, man. Unfortunately I have nothing to add except unhelpful, pithy quips about how "for-profit healthcare" is an oxymoron and first-world countries don't have this kind of bullsh*t.

Today is my last day at my current job and I will be starting a new job a week of Monday. Which means I have a week off to try to fix as much in my house as I can. Expect me in the "This Old )*^* House" thread... a lot.

Rukh, do the transfer and see how it goes. That gives you minimal change and a secure launchpad if you decide to go elsewhere in a few months.

Top_Shelf wrote:
pandasuit wrote:

Working at a big company that expects constant high impact is stressful. The pressure to be one of the best when surrounded by incredible people sucks. When that company has recently laid off thousands of people it’s even more stressful. I operate well in stressful situations but I worry how much I can keep it up before burn out. I see it bubbling over into all other parts of my life. My manager tries to help but he’s just as busy and stressed as I am.

Would recommend getting outside help. Therapy and/or professional coaching can be really useful for guidance/context in these situations.

Your mental health is precious and don't ever let your company convince you that you have no value outside of their sandbox. Many other firms out there.

My manager and I talked again early this week about it. On Monday morning I was optimistic. By Tuesday I was melting down.

We agreed I should take some time off now so I’m on a short paid leave. My wife offloaded our kids on relatives and booked us a relaxing trip to get away from everything. Pretty good considering she had no notice. I’m there now and trying to distract myself from thinking about work and life concerns.

Our company perks include multiple options I can try so I’ll be exploring those when I’m back. The company pays but doesn’t get any knowledge of what I’m working through. There is some coverage through my extended health insurance but also some specific perks for mental health stuff.

It’s a huge company full of people pushing to be the best in the world so they’ve likely had many people go through exactly what I’m going through. I talked to a coworker who’s been with MSFT for many years and is also going through a lot of stuff right now and he gave me some confidence the company is there for us through this stuff. I don't know if/how recent layoffs change any of that tho.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Today is my last day at my current job and I will be starting a new job a week of Monday. Which means I have a week off to try to fix as much in my house as I can. Expect me in the "This Old )*^* House" thread... a lot.

Surely you mean the Zelda: TotK thread.

ruhk wrote:

Just got the news today that the hospital I work for decided it’s cheaper to pay for testing than run a lab itself, and is selling my lab to an outside corporation. The new corp promised that everyone will keep their pay and schedules but I’m also cross-trained in one of the few departments NOT being sold, but if I stay I’ll have to move to a different, worse work schedule. I’ve got a short amount of time to decide whether I want to keep my preferred schedule under new masters I know very little about, or stay in my preferred department with familiar masters but in a worse situation.

Robear wrote:

Rukh, do the transfer and see how it goes. That gives you minimal change and a secure launchpad if you decide to go elsewhere in a few months.

I'll play the other side of the coin, there is the expression "the devil you know". Going somewhere else you have no idea what you are getting into, at least you know exactly where you stand in your current place. Though there is no wrong answer, whatever choice you make is the right one.

Was just a participant in one of the top 3 most horrifying customer interactions I've had in my nearly 40 year career. Totally normally introductory customer call that suddenly, horribly, embarrassingly blew up, then fell to pieces and sank to the bottom of the Marianas Trench into a volcano, thanks to a coworker who somehow did not know better. All myself and the other person on the call could do was stand and salute as the call slipped beneath the waves.

The recorded call, with over 20 listeners. And one of them a lawyer.

We won't be getting a callback for opportunities. This will be one of those recordings that people listen to and laugh in horrified at.

I'm shaking.

Is this where we talk about ChatGPT and how we are using for work? Couldn't find a separate thread (filthy skimmer...).

I would suggest starting a "Work and AI" thread. The AI thread is for News, and this thread is for general experiences, while an AI discussion could get specific very quickly.

Color me highly curious!

Top_Shelf wrote:

Is this where we talk about ChatGPT and how we are using for work? Couldn't find a separate thread (filthy skimmer...).

Maybe the “Non-AIs talking about AIs” thread? It’s not work specific tho.
https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/...

On that topic:
Earlier this week at work 2 AI copilots helped me train a new AI I needed to validate that another Generative AI is doing its job correctly. The Generative AIs job is to help me train and test other AI. I’m living in the future

It's nested ifs all the way down...

Just clocked out of my job of 8 years for the last time.

We were bought out by another company at the start of the year. We did printing and publishing, the new company just mainly focuses on printing and ships the publishing side of things overseas because it's cheaper. We were strung along for a few months with promises of "we want to keep everyone" and "we're seeing how we can incorporate your workflow into our processes".. then we were told that our department was going to be shipped overseas after a transition period. But they still want to keep everyone they can so apply for any jobs they have open.

I applied for something in the company I thought was interesting and I was qualified for. Never heard a word from HR. I applied for something outside the company- I got a call for an interview, and was offered the job two days after meeting with them. It's a bump in pay, and seems like a great opportunity with room to grow and develop. I'm excited to start something new next week.

Also, I used ChatGPT to write a cover letter for this new job. Then reworked it to be more personalized and and to better highlight some things I wanted to highlight. I also asked ChatGPT to list skills that a typesetter would learn and picked some good things to add to the letter from that.

Way to make hay, Tscott! Sounds like you made the right move. Good luck next week!

ruhk wrote:

Just got the news today that the hospital I work for decided it’s cheaper to pay for testing than run a lab itself, and is selling my lab to an outside corporation. The new corp promised that everyone will keep their pay and schedules but I’m also cross-trained in one of the few departments NOT being sold, but if I stay I’ll have to move to a different, worse work schedule. I’ve got a short amount of time to decide whether I want to keep my preferred schedule under new masters I know very little about, or stay in my preferred department with familiar masters but in a worse situation.

Update on this: I was not allowed to decide. Unbeknownst to me the lab manager handpicked the people staying behind and only told me I wasn’t one of them when I told him I wanted to be. The reason he gave made no sense to me (that I have too much experience it wouldn’t be fair to pick me over newer employees) and I suspect he just wanted me for the transitioning team because with all the covid burnout turnover the last several years I’m only one of four people left in the dept that have been fully trained on everything (none of the other three were picked to stay behind either).

I do take some small comfort that I overheard him complaining the other day that the new corporate bosses told him they are having trouble figuring out where he would fit in the new org chart, and that he’s concerned he’s going to be laid off.

So, um, how does one go about job hunting in 2023?

After a lot of complaining and hoping for change, I'm admitting that my job has morphed into something that just doesn't fit anymore and I'm also more than a little bit burned out.

I've had a winding road of a career path. I was a history professor for a few years, then shifted into the nonprofit space and picked up a lot of SQL and Cognos by working as the data guy for a fundraising office. I want to get out of fundraising and focus on report-writing, and am looking for something 100% remote.

I was recently approached by a few former coworkers that I worked with really closely with who expressed that they really want me to look at opportunities at the company they went to. I am not unhappy with where I am now, but I wouldn't be opposed to a change either. The rumored difference in salary is significant enough that I can't ignore the consideration and it would be great to work with these two folks again, but I am feeling anxious and hesitant about taking the step of even updating my resume.

That is the first step. Along with putting a new coat of paint on your linkedin profile.