The Clock is Ticking, is the Pile Shrinking?

I'm actually excited for the big, end of the year October thread. I'm stoked to be finishing up pile games.

Yeah I got distracted by Gears 3 (I finished a solo campaign in that last night), but in October I want to knock out Mass Effect 2 on 360 and Uncharted 2 on PS3.

I should have had you put me down for Mafia 2, as I started and finished it this month. OH WELL! I think next month I'll finally tackle Dragon Age 1.

Not that I would have finished anyway, but the breaking of my XBox guaranteed that Nier will not get done this month.

Out of curiosity, do we consider games to be "in the pile" if it's been released for over 3 months, or in your possession for over 3 months? IE, if I bought The Witcher 2 this week, does it count as a game in my pile?

Slyght wrote:

Out of curiosity, do we consider games to be "in the pile" if it's been released for over 3 months, or in your possession for over 3 months? IE, if I bought The Witcher 2 this week, does it count as a game in my pile?

Released. This also counts for release on the original platform. So, I finished Zelda 2 on the 3DS' virtual console, where it's only been available for a few weeks, but it counts as a pile game because it's been out for decades. Likewise, HD re-releases can count as pile games, as with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

I'm honestly not sure about editions with new content: would Devil Survivor Overclocked count as a pile game? It came out late last month, but it's a port of an earlier game, but it also adds a hefty chunk of new content.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I'm honestly not sure about editions with new content: would Devil Survivor Overclocked count as a pile game? It came out late last month, but it's a port of an earlier game, but it also adds a hefty chunk of new content.

I'd say for the sake of simplicity, just use the original release date in those cases.

Garden Ninja wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

I'm honestly not sure about editions with new content: would Devil Survivor Overclocked count as a pile game? It came out late last month, but it's a port of an earlier game, but it also adds a hefty chunk of new content.

I'd say for the sake of simplicity, just use the original release date in those cases.

In that case, Devil Survivor Overclocked is totally going in next month's thread.

The big bad end of year pile's coming up! I, too, am greatly excited.

Aside from The Witcher, I also finished Puzzle Agent and Torchlight this month

I think I have all the games figured out that I'm going to play for the next couple of months...

Well after that clarification, put ICO on the PS3 list, as finished by me.

And SotC will be carried to next month.

It's been a rough month for me, as I didn't get close to any game on my list. Neither Bully nor 3D Dot Game Heroes grabbed me when I first sat down to play them, so I just didn't play. Then life got in the way for a few weeks and now I'm sitting here at the end of the month with nothing completed, so it looks like I'll be carrying everything over to the end-of-year thread.

And while it took until the last week of the month, I'm happy to say that Bully has finally caught my interest and I've gotten my completion percentage up to ~33% over the last few days, so that one should get finished off fairly early next month.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Hemidal wrote:
AUs_TBirD wrote:

My success stories of this month:

... Lot's of stuff

I need to make some sort of pile award. I swear you clear the most games every month, without fail. :)

Seriously. The guy's a machine.

Although he's also a machine at adding things to his pile, too. ;)

Actually, if you include new releases being beaten, stevenmack may have me beat

My current end of year plans include, but are not limited to:

EDIT: Moved to the new thread.

Assassin's Creed down. With all the insane amounts of work hours I've put in in the last couple of months, it sure feels good to finally have finished a game again.

Aaand Bioshock 1 done as well. Easily the best story-experience in a video game I've ever experienced. Now on to the years old spoiler thread to praise it accordingly.

So that's 2 out of 3 games I wanted to finish in Q4 of 2011. I am proud of myself and will reward myself accordingly during the Steam Xmas sale.

PS: Backloggery.com really seems to help tackling the pile of shame. When will the January and 2012 thread go live?

So between Skyrim and waiting for SWTOR I have no idea how to get back to the pile. Would love some coping strategy ideas. Do you guys devote a few hours each week to the pile? Do you simply suck it up and put an embargo on new games?

jdzappa wrote:

Would love some coping strategy ideas. Do you guys devote a few hours each week to the pile? Do you simply suck it up and put an embargo on new games?

Develop an aversion to paying full price for a game. Once you do that, almost everything is a pile game

AndrewA wrote:
jdzappa wrote:

Would love some coping strategy ideas. Do you guys devote a few hours each week to the pile? Do you simply suck it up and put an embargo on new games?

Develop an aversion to paying full price for a game. Once you do that, almost everything is a pile game ;)

Only allowing yourself one full price game per quarter is a good start as well.

Alternatively, I've instated a "two for one rule" for myself. For every two pile games I finish or forever remove from the pile, I allow myself to buy a new title (new as in less than a year old). That's why I keep short 5-10 hour games in the pile to complement the ~100h games like Dragon Age or Fallout.