Tabletop RPG Catch All

There was a pretty good ep of On the Shoulders of Dwarves about notes.

My last game used a simple wiki for all the characters and run logs; I guess for GM's notes you'd need to have one with a degree of access control. I'd consider using Trello as a notecard system, though I might want something a little more hierarchical- you can only have cards in groups, so you can't natively have person A in city B in nation C in region D for example.

Thanks, everybody!

I got a copy of Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master and am a little ways into it. Side question: Is the accompanying “workbook” worth getting? I already have plenty of random tables and maps.

I’d also been looking at nimblewriter for a while and may even get around to properly checking it out.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I highly, highly recommend a book called The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master by Sly Flourish; it's on Kindle and in paperback, and it revolutionized how I prep games. It's about doing as little as you can, as it basically shifts the real focus of the campaign to the players and where they choose to go. It's great.

Oooh, thanks for the recommendation. Just placed an order for the paperback.

Also, I'd never played D&D using Roll20 before, and good GOD do I wish some other titles got the sheer amount of support that D&D gets there. My Shadowrun games would've included about 50% less work.

Prederick wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I highly, highly recommend a book called The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master by Sly Flourish; it's on Kindle and in paperback, and it revolutionized how I prep games. It's about doing as little as you can, as it basically shifts the real focus of the campaign to the players and where they choose to go. It's great.

Oooh, thanks for the recommendation. Just placed an order for the paperback.

Also, I'd never played D&D using Roll20 before, and good GOD do I wish some other titles got the sheer amount of support that D&D gets there. My Shadowrun games would've included about 50% less work.

Sly has a YouTube channel going through each section of the book as well other things.

misplacedbravado wrote:

Thanks, everybody!

I got a copy of Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master and am a little ways into it. Side question: Is the accompanying “workbook” worth getting? I already have plenty of random tables and maps.

I’d also been looking at nimblewriter for a while and may even get around to properly checking it out. :)

The workbook is . . . fine. Have used it a bit, but it's nothing radically different. The main book is great, but you can skip the supplement.

It's obviously game-specific, but I love the Dungeon World Campaign Playbook. A fan-created supplement that helps organize campaign details and provide some play-aids.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/produ...

Other than that I keep a small spiral-bound notebook for each campaign and one big notebook for collecting good ideas from other media.

Here are a couple of RPGs that I think are pretty cool and am going to back:

The Islands Of Sina Una
Uses Filipino mythology to create an rpg setting that is 5E compatible. Very excited to read this and get it in front of some players next year.

One More Thing
Two player rpg where one is the murderer and the other is the investigator in an episode of a murder mystery TV show from the creator of WWWRPG, the pro wrestling rpg.

I’m not sure how I missed the conversation on notes….

I do most of my work in Scrivener. It’s a really good tool for organizing and managing your writing. At the table, I’ve started using only hardcopy notes. I lay those out in Affinity Publisher then print them out and put them in a binder. It’s completely overkill, but I enjoy doing it.

My campaign binder has several important documents, inspired by this.

  • I have a single page of background and my house rules. The former is the elevator pitch summary of my homebrew setting.
  • I’m running a hex crawl, so I have a hex key. It’s a WIP, but I have separate tabs in my binder for each letter on my hex map (A–K). I limit the amount of detail to what I need to run the keyed location encounter. That can vary from a single sentence to a few keyed areas on a map. Otherwise…
  • Dungeon maps and keys go in their own documents.
    • Dungeon keys are organized around hierarchies of information.
    • I also include wandering monster tables for my dungeons as well as adversary rosters and a list of treasure parcels in the dungeon.
  • After the hex key are my regional random encounter tables. These are used as content generators, so travel through an explored area is rarely boring.
  • Finally, I have a bestiary. I’ve been having fun with the monster creation guidelines for PF2, so this just keeps growing.

For world-building, I make heavy use of mind maps to get ideas out of my head and documented. I then use Scrivener to start organizing things. If I’ve just got ideas about what I want to write, I note it on the card in Scrivener. I also sometimes use Bear if I’m just throwing together lists of ideas before I start writing properly.

If my setting stuff is just for me, I don’t usually go much further than that. For my players, I maintain a document on my homebrew setting with the replacement ancestries and also setting information (currently a WIP). That’s probably a ridiculous amount of content to homebrew, but (again) I enjoy doing it. That’s probably the best rule of thumb when it comes to GMing and world building: if you enjoy doing something, then do it. If you stop enjoying it, then stop.

I used Realm Works by Lone Wolf Development. It costs money but I liked the robust features and structuring for both worlds development and campaign management.

Yay! I got a new game finished (kinda - it's in early access, and I plan to keep polishing it for a while before I call it done).

The Natural Philosophers

This is a non-violent, creative game in which you will imagine what an expedition of natural philosophers discover in an entirely new world.

You'll fill up a notebook with observations, inspired by a range of random tables, to build the world you explore.

oh, sound intriguing!

(and also makes me realise i've made bugger all progress on my own game for months now I should get on that...)

This was one of the booths at PAX Unplugged: AdventureawayMD. It's a D&D BnB where they provide 10 hours of D&D with a DM as part of the package. My wife would never go for it, but it might be fun with a buddy.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that unless you're going for the top tier package, you'll be sharing a bathroom. Of course if were to do this with a friend, I'd probably be pissing straight beer and bourbon anyway so it probably won't make a difference.

In case anyone is interested, I put together a blog post on my games played this year. Not that many, but a lot of good ones.

Played another episode of Band of Blades last night, that remains fantastic fun. Our Legion is staying ahead of the undead hordes, but they sure are suffering to do it.

MikeSands wrote:

In case anyone is interested, I put together a blog post on my games played this year. Not that many, but a lot of good ones.

Played another episode of Band of Blades last night, that remains fantastic fun. Our Legion is staying ahead of the undead hordes, but they sure are suffering to do it.

I am interested, thanks! Both 'Scum and Villainy' and 'Band of Blades' look really amazing. It's pretty cool to see what creative folks can do with a good engine.

Mixolyde wrote:

I am interested, thanks!

Cool!

Both 'Scum and Villainy' and 'Band of Blades' look really amazing. It's pretty cool to see what creative folks can do with a good engine.

My impression (from reading only) is that Scum & Villainy doesn't do as much new stuff. Nothing bad about it, but it's closer to Blades in the Dark (and also a more familiar genre). Band of Blades really pushes the system to a new level, in my opinion.

Honestly, I think it's almost endearing that I follow the TTRPG world from such a remove that I only found out about Pathfinder 35 minutes ago.

At this rate, I can't wait until next year, when I find out that D&D also has a second edition.

Prederick wrote:

Honestly, I think it's almost endearing that I follow the TTRPG world from such a remove that I only found out about Pathfinder 35 minutes ago.

At this rate, I can't wait until next year, when I find out that D&D also has a second edition.

Even better, D&D has TWO third editions.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Honestly, I think it's almost endearing that I follow the TTRPG world from such a remove that I only found out about Pathfinder 35 minutes ago.

At this rate, I can't wait until next year, when I find out that D&D also has a second edition.

Even better, D&D has TWO third editions.

Not to mention games that are not even a D&D variant at all!

MikeSands wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Honestly, I think it's almost endearing that I follow the TTRPG world from such a remove that I only found out about Pathfinder 35 minutes ago.

At this rate, I can't wait until next year, when I find out that D&D also has a second edition.

Even better, D&D has TWO third editions.

Not to mention games that are not even a D&D variant at all!

Perhaps you could recommend some? Do they have monsters?

Mixolyde wrote:

Perhaps you could recommend some? Do they have monsters?

I can! Both with and without monsters!

Currently my faves of last year are:
* Band of Blades
* Miseries and Misfortunes
* Electric Bastionland (not out yet)

And don't let me stop anyone buying a certain game about weekly monsters, while they're at it.

So i am starting to play an ultra light RPG a friend made. I think it has some real potential as a quick lets play type of rule set. So far he has made Space, Dungeon, Apocalypse, Christmas. Rules are pretty agnostic as long as you flesh out the character attributes, races/classes.

If you want you can check out the space. Or if your interested in others let me know.

Space Strike Google Drive Link

The setting is meant for one shots and conventions. To me it meets that place when your hanging out with a friend and someone says "lets play an RPG". With this you can get everyone playing in 5-10 min. It leaves a lot of the work to the DM and PC's, to flesh the world as they play.

A clarification I needed was that the race and class groups are roll tables. They are meant to be a random attribute.

James Cameron says they're doing it all wrong..

ALIEN$

I own a copy of the Aliens RPG that is space marine focused with really detailed combat mechanics. Never got to play it.

Mixolyde wrote:

I own a copy of the Aliens RPG that is space marine focused with really detailed combat mechanics. Never got to play it.

It was... Not good. From what I hear, the new one from Fria Ligan is better in every way.

Prederick wrote:

Honestly, I think it's almost endearing that I follow the TTRPG world from such a remove that I only found out about Pathfinder 35 minutes ago.

How nice! The 640-page core rulebook also doubles as plate armor.

Hero Games 5th Edition Rule Book Ballistic Test

Hero 5E was pretty big but Pathfinder should do even better.

MikeSands wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

I own a copy of the Aliens RPG that is space marine focused with really detailed combat mechanics. Never got to play it.

It was... Not good. From what I hear, the new one from Fria Ligan is better in every way.

It's good. The focus is on one-shots, mostly, for some classic Alien type stuff, or you can play campaign mode which is better suited to something more like Prometheus. It's a fun read if you're just in it for compiled Alien lore too. I've not looked at it too deeply because i might be playing it rather than GM'ing it but what i read was interesting. Very much uses the same rules system as Tales From the Loop or Vaesen (which i also got an alpha version of through recently too).

Couple of new things showed up today..

My copy of Odyssey of the Dragonlords. A rather chunky Fantasy Greece themed campaign for levels 1 to 15.
IMAGE(https://smackfolio.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/image_from_ios-1.jpg)
It's pretty! Also co-written by Drew Karpyshyn, which is cool.

and my copy of ICARUS. A DMless storytelling rpg/card game thing where you play through the rise and collapse of a city-state. It got a lot of good talk in "end of year" videos so i thought i'd take a look.

qaraq wrote:

Hero Games 5th Edition Rule Book Ballistic Test

Hero 5E was pretty big but Pathfinder should do even better.

6th edition broke the rules into two books, and was, in fact, even bigger.

There is some chance this explains why I finally burned out on HERO System.