Android Games Catch-All

MonoCheli wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Get an iPad. Seriously. It sucks, I know, but Android is missing out on this stuff big time.

Better then that buy apps on Android. I have spoken with a few iOS developers and the main reason I hear for them to not make android programs is that "No one spends money on android apps" which I believe is total crap, I do and so do many others. If developers see there is money to be made they will get over here and make it.

I was being a bit more specific in re what he's looking for. There's a dearth of war gaming, tbs and 4x games. Can't exactly spend money on games that don't exist.

clever id wrote:
D-Man777 wrote:

I'd sure love to see Civ, CivRev, MOO2, etc. in a form I can stick in my pocket and take with me.

Ok.

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/2012-12-02095648_zpsd92f5337.jpg)

While not a phone, I got MoO and MoO2 to run on our ASUS TF101 using aDOSBOX, pretty easily. Just copied it from my GOG directory to a folder on the tablet. I suppose I should test it on my phone...

Congrats sir. I have done this before and had some serious performance issues. Did you set any specific settings to have this complete? I also attempted this when I first got the tablet a few years back, so is there a possible aDosbox update that has occured?

Blondish83 wrote:

Congrats sir. I have done this before and had some serious performance issues. Did you set any specific settings to have this complete? I also attempted this when I first got the tablet a few years back, so is there a possible aDosbox update that has occured?

Nothing too special, just messing with cycles. There is a little lag in the early menus but it's tolerable. I think aDosbox was last updated in mid 2011 so if it was before that it would be worth trying again.

ccoates wrote:

Xcom? Eh? Eh?

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/2013-01-02234732_zpsc1ed4a46.jpg)
Using the Steam version copied over.

Audio is a little wonky at times, I could try increasing the audio buffer and see if it's any better. Otherwise, it runs so so. Not perfect smooth, but it's serviceable. Getting used to the mouse interface is the hardest part. aDOSbox eventually crashed during the mission but I was moving people around fine, rotating etc.

Hmmm... with this level of success, I'm considering buying a better DOS emulator.

I remembered looking for a DOSBox port a couple years ago but not having much luck. Nice to see it's working a bit now. Guess I should try again.

clever id wrote:
Blondish83 wrote:

Congrats sir. I have done this before and had some serious performance issues. Did you set any specific settings to have this complete? I also attempted this when I first got the tablet a few years back, so is there a possible aDosbox update that has occured?

Nothing too special, just messing with cycles. There is a little lag in the early menus but it's tolerable. I think aDosbox was last updated in mid 2011 so if it was before that it would be worth trying again.

ccoates wrote:

Xcom? Eh? Eh?

IMAGE(http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x340/clever_id/2013-01-02234732_zpsc1ed4a46.jpg)
Using the Steam version copied over.

Audio is a little wonky at times, I could try increasing the audio buffer and see if it's any better. Otherwise, it runs so so. Not perfect smooth, but it's serviceable. Getting used to the mouse interface is the hardest part. aDOSbox eventually crashed during the mission but I was moving people around fine, rotating etc.

Hmmm... with this level of success, I'm considering buying a better DOS emulator.

You got me looking around again. I must mention DosBox Turbo. I grabbed it last night and it is worth the investment of $3.50.

I am able to on the fly allocate additional memory up to 32MB. I am able to play Master of Orion 2 with no lag (it requires the most performance of any of my Dos based games through GoG). It also supports multiple levels of mouse control ranging from 1:1 cursor movement up to touch screen support. Audio has not be playing on Master of Orion, Master of Magic, or Master of Orion 2 yet but it's likely because I turn down the volume on my tablet so I don't disturb others.

Also of note, Bard's Tale (the remake) comes with the original Bard's Tale I-III; I've played around with them, and they seem somewhat weirdly implemented, but not wholly awful.

Tanglebones wrote:

Also of note, Bard's Tale (the remake) comes with the original Bard's Tale I-III; I've played around with them, and they seem somewhat weirdly implemented, but not wholly awful.

Bard's Tale has a 3.5 Gb download!

Blondish83 wrote:

You got me looking around again. I must mention DosBox Turbo. I grabbed it last night and it is worth the investment of $3.50.

I am able to on the fly allocate additional memory up to 32MB. I am able to play Master of Orion 2 with no lag (it requires the most performance of any of my Dos based games through GoG). It also supports multiple levels of mouse control ranging from 1:1 cursor movement up to touch screen support. Audio has not be playing on Master of Orion, Master of Magic, or Master of Orion 2 yet but it's likely because I turn down the volume on my tablet so I don't disturb others.

You had me at Master of Magic. Installing now. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

tanstaafl wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Also of note, Bard's Tale (the remake) comes with the original Bard's Tale I-III; I've played around with them, and they seem somewhat weirdly implemented, but not wholly awful.

Bard's Tale has a 3.5 Gb download!

Blondish83 wrote:

You got me looking around again. I must mention DosBox Turbo. I grabbed it last night and it is worth the investment of $3.50.

I am able to on the fly allocate additional memory up to 32MB. I am able to play Master of Orion 2 with no lag (it requires the most performance of any of my Dos based games through GoG). It also supports multiple levels of mouse control ranging from 1:1 cursor movement up to touch screen support. Audio has not be playing on Master of Orion, Master of Magic, or Master of Orion 2 yet but it's likely because I turn down the volume on my tablet so I don't disturb others.

You had me at Master of Magic. Installing now. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

3.5 GB for the Hi-Res, 1.9 or so for the standard res

So over the holiday I was traveling and decided to try some "real" games on the Nexus 7, since I wouldn't see my PC for almost two weeks straight. In order to do this I picked up Sixaxis Controller on the Play Store for two bucks and paired my Dualshock 3 up (I actually used my Galaxy Nexus to perform the pairing - I guess PS3 controllers don't support normal BT pairing protocols, and I had to use an OTG cable, which for some reason did not work with the Nexus 7).

Long and short of it is that a Nexus 7 with a PS3 controller is some kind of awesome little gaming device.

The problem? There are so few games that support a real controller. Out of my library only the GTA games and Jet Set Radio worked, but they worked really well. Chrono Trigger sadly did not (and the controls are one reason that game bums me out on Android).

Other nifty trick: use an MHL cable to output via HDMI, and your phone becomes a game console. The Nexus 7 doesn't support that (cause it's a bargain basement device) but my Galaxy Nexus does. Controller + TV = console in my pocket. This makes something like the Ouya totally unnecessary.

I also bought this weird Moga Bluetooth controller when it was on sale for $5 (it didn't arrive before we started our trip unfortunately). It's smaller than the PS3 controller, easier to pair, and it has a flip-up clamp to hold your phone in place. It's pretty cool. The PS3 is a better controller but the Moga is definitely a slicker option for portability / making your device feel like a handheld console.

Which brings me to this: the Vita and its ilk are doomed. We're not there yet since this is all a little beyond the geek threshold of most people, the hardware is still a bit lacking, and since Android's game ecosystem isn't up to snuff, but all the pieces are ready to fall into place. Your phone or tablet will be your portable game console, period. Just a matter of time now, and I don't think it's all that much time.

There is a beta of the tiles version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for andriod available on the DCSS development branch page.

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

I have been playing the hell out of this on my Samsung Tab 10.1 and, after some adjustments, it plays very well and includes a lot of touch functionality. This is not for those who have no knowledge of DCSS or want to play on a phone, the controls are too small and knowledge of some keyboard commands is still necessary. It is my understanding they are working on a version more optimized for tablets and phones.

DCSS is a deep and addicting roguelike I've been playing for years on my computer. Playing it in its full functionality on my tablet is the first time my handheld has been my preferred gaming device.

tanstaafl wrote:

Bard's Tale has a 3.5 Gb download!

That explains what ate up my SD card space... I was wondering why it was so full

Blondish83 wrote:

I must mention DosBox Turbo. I grabbed it last night and it is worth the investment of $3.50.

+1
I picked it up as well, things run pretty smooth on my phone. I'll have to do more testing after the kids go to bed.

Oh frabjous day! Master of Magic running on my tablet!

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8082/8343731181_eba35f93d2_z.jpg)

Funny how this excites me more than anything from the app store.

Copingsaw wrote:

There is a beta of the tiles version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for andriod available on the DCSS development branch page.

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

I have been playing the hell out of this on my Samsung Tab 10.1 and, after some adjustments, it plays very well and includes a lot of touch functionality. This is not for those who have no knowledge of DCSS or want to play on a phone, the controls are too small and knowledge of some keyboard commands is still necessary. It is my understanding they are working on a version more optimized for tablets and phones.

DCSS is a deep and addicting roguelike I've been playing for years on my computer. Playing it in its full functionality on my tablet is the first time my handheld has been my preferred gaming device.

Hell yes. If only they had a phone version ready... Stone Soup I'd one of my favorite roguelikes, if not my favorite traditional roguelike.

I just want you all to know that you got me addicted to Cross Me. Thank you.

Hunters Episode One is pretty fun. Worth the 5 bucks, but it does crash pretty regularly.

Gameplay is X-Com squad style, with no resource management. Reminds me more of Shadow Watch for the PC in that regard (which would be a great port for a low key game. Anyone? Anyone?) You upgrade your guys and weapons along the same lines.

There's in-game interface ads you can click on to get random gear and money. I'm kind of put off by how many paid Android games have these types of gameplay features, but it can be useful early on when you're a bit weak.

Nice graphics, zooming and rotate can be a bit quirky.

The shop and missions are on a timer. Missions are pretty basic, kill this guy, kill all the guys, retrieve something or other, etc. The artificially mandated delay of gameplay elements in Android games is another thing that bugs the sh*t out of me. You'll end up just replaying the same missions over and over to level up. After 24 hours you get a new batch of 5 missions.

Still makes me wish that Episode Two was available on Android, but considering Episode One sold half a million copies on iPod and iPad and it's only in the thousands on Android, I doubt they're in a hurry to port it. It's a shame, because it maybe flawed, but it's still fun.

I have andosbox since i got my phone It works very well. I played XCOM1 on my phone until I had 3~ avengers and was almost done with blaster launchers.

The best games on android are Dos games on an emulator ;).

Niseg wrote:

I have andosbox since i got my phone It works very well. I played XCOM1 on my phone until I had 3~ avengers and was almost done with blaster launchers.

The best games on android are Dos games on an emulator ;).

Or SNES/GBA games on an emulator.

Mixolyde wrote:
Niseg wrote:

I have andosbox since i got my phone It works very well. I played XCOM1 on my phone until I had 3~ avengers and was almost done with blaster launchers.

The best games on android are Dos games on an emulator ;).

Or SNES/GBA games on an emulator. ;-)

I guess emulators in general ;). Android doesn't seem to have many good games.

While I have no idea of whether it's a good game, Endgame: Syria is available on Google Play.

This game was banned from the Apple App Store as it "solely target[s] a specific race, culture, a real government or corporation, or any other real entity." Another benefit of the Android ecosystem.

garion333 wrote:
Copingsaw wrote:

There is a beta of the tiles version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for andriod available on the DCSS development branch page.

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

I have been playing the hell out of this on my Samsung Tab 10.1 and, after some adjustments, it plays very well and includes a lot of touch functionality. This is not for those who have no knowledge of DCSS or want to play on a phone, the controls are too small and knowledge of some keyboard commands is still necessary. It is my understanding they are working on a version more optimized for tablets and phones.

DCSS is a deep and addicting roguelike I've been playing for years on my computer. Playing it in its full functionality on my tablet is the first time my handheld has been my preferred gaming device.

Hell yes. If only they had a phone version ready... Stone Soup I'd one of my favorite roguelikes, if not my favorite traditional roguelike.

They just updated to a new version with a supposedly reworked UI that includes zoom and pinch. I installed on my Galaxy S3 and it crashes on load so I cannot speak to its playability.

I recently got a Nexus 7 myself and a copy of Neuroshima Hex. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in a board game adaptation. It's a fun game with neat rules and a neat atmosphere.

Edwin wrote:

That poor Gameboy!! WHY??!!!??

I wish there was an iOS app to tell me when there are Amazon android apps on sell. Santa brought a Nabi 2 and I wish there was an easy way for me to (passively) track sales of good apps.

If you're just talking about Amazon apps, you can buy those from the web site. Don't have to run the app to purchase, just to install later.

I check the web site daily (usually) for the free app of the day to see if it's any good.

Super Hexigon

Get it while it's 99 cents.

Also...any luck with anyone why Peggle is no longer on android?

Edit: Ahh I think I found the reason. Compatibility issues with the newer devices.

checkm-8 wrote:

Super Hexagon

Man, the muscle memory I built up playing on the PC does not transfer over well to a touchscreen. I even had trouble with Hexagoner.

By the way, Super Hexagon is stupid hard...

checkm-8 wrote:

Also...any luck with anyone why Peggle is no longer on android?

You're right, it doesn't show up on my store, but I had it from an earlier Amazon Appstore download on my old phone (an HTC Inspire 4G), so I was able to pull it up in "My Apps" and get it installed on my new HTC One X. Works just fine!

Personally, I think it's more of a travesty that Popcap seems incapable of getting their games over to Android. Where the hell is Bejeweled 3, people?! It released in December of 2011 on iOS!

ilduce620 wrote:

Personally, I think it's more of a travesty that Popcap seems incapable of getting their games over to Android. Where the hell is Bejeweled 3, people?! It released in December of 2011 on iOS!

Maybe this has something to do with it:

http://www.ibtimes.com/electronic-ar...

Late last month, EA’s head of labels Frank Gibeau told Bloomberg that lay-offs at two studios owned by their subsidiary PopCap Games, located in Seattle and Dublin, were a result of “duplicative” roles and a renewed focus on mobile and digital gaming by the parent company itself.

"Duplicative" roles, like developing for iPhone and Android at the same time?