NFL 2011 Post-Lockout, Pre-Season Thread

bighoppa wrote:
It was just the 49ers

I predict from week to week, this will become a familiar caveat.

Time to pimp Football Outsiders Almanac 2011. I'm of the opinion that Football Outsiders do the best weekly analysis of any site, and their FOA book is something I read a couple times and go back to over and over again. They have volunteer game charters charting every single play and they use it to do really interesting statistical analysis. They readily admit there aren't enough data points in a typical football game where you can do the kind of detailed analysis found in baseball, for example, but they still do a great job of pointing out which players and teams are really excelling in particular ways.

Football fans should buy this book.

Manning activated off of PUP. I guess that's to be expected though, they weren't going to hold him out for 6 weeks or whatever it is that you have to stay on that list.

Sam Bradford is...the ladies' man.

Rat Boy wrote:
Sam Bradford is...the ladies' man.

That's awesome

On the Redskins, if they're playing the NFC west, I think they'll do pretty OK. After all, you can win that division with a losing record.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Time to pimp Football Outsiders Almanac 2011. I'm of the opinion that Football Outsiders do the best weekly analysis of any site, and their FOA book is something I read a couple times and go back to over and over again. They have volunteer game charters charting every single play and they use it to do really interesting statistical analysis. They readily admit there aren't enough data points in a typical football game where you can do the kind of detailed analysis found in baseball, for example, but they still do a great job of pointing out which players and teams are really excelling in particular ways.

Football fans should buy this book.

Still have your 2010 edition? What would it take to get you to part with it?

Grumpicus wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Time to pimp Football Outsiders Almanac 2011. I'm of the opinion that Football Outsiders do the best weekly analysis of any site, and their FOA book is something I read a couple times and go back to over and over again. They have volunteer game charters charting every single play and they use it to do really interesting statistical analysis. They readily admit there aren't enough data points in a typical football game where you can do the kind of detailed analysis found in baseball, for example, but they still do a great job of pointing out which players and teams are really excelling in particular ways.

Football fans should buy this book.

Still have your 2010 edition? What would it take to get you to part with it?

Amazon still has them.

I'd like to find some of the old Pro Football Prospectus editions. My collection started with 2007, but the first edition is way back in 2002.

EDIT: And I just went to Amazon and bought a used copy of the first PFP. There's used copies available of every one, though only 5 (now 4!) of the original 2002 edition.

Ok, you buy it and I'll come steal borrow yours.

Ochocinco better hope he keeps his job with the Pats based on his last purchase.

Now with twice the Philip Rivers: KSK's AFC preview (mildly NSFW - language)

- Perhaps the saddest sentence you’ll read about any team’s off-season exploits: “[they] made a well-publicized attempt to trade for Kyle Orton. When it failed, they settled for ex-Panther Matt Moore.” There are Russian novels that aren’t as bleak.

Now that, that, is an utterly epic bit of snark.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
- Perhaps the saddest sentence you’ll read about any team’s off-season exploits: “[they] made a well-publicized attempt to trade for Kyle Orton. When it failed, they settled for ex-Panther Matt Moore.” There are Russian novels that aren’t as bleak.

Now that, that, is an utterly epic bit of snark.

I Lol'd at that.

Arian Foster gives Colin Cowherd a little shot. How do you over my fandom? Well, just keep doing things like that to Cowherd.

And now Arian Foster tweeted a pic of his MRI.

Terrelle Pryor got a SEVEN on the Wonderlic.

Considering his lifetime of good decision-making, this is deeply shocking.

I don't care if Arian can play in game 1. I want him healthy for the rest of the season and (hopefully) the playoffs. Sit him in week 1. Maybe even week 2 (Miami). It's better to peak later in the season anyway.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Terrelle Pryor got a SEVEN on the Wonderlic.

Considering his lifetime of good decision-making, this is deeply shocking.

I'm annoyed with statements like this:

PFT wrote:
Then there’s the fact that JaMarcus Russell got a 24, and Ryan Leaf got a 27, only one point behind Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. So, yeah, the Wonderlic pretty much means nothing.

Reality, of course, is that the Wonderlic is a data point, and not a magical predictor of performance all by itself. It most certainly does have meaning within a larger context.

Part of that context is, smart people don't automatically make the best QBs. It's an asset, not a result all upon itself.

JaMarcus Russell failed because he was lazy. Leaf because he was immature and volatile. Neither man was too dumb to be an NFL QB, and that's what those scores reflect.

What we do see with excessively low scores is that a lack of intelligence often is a factor in lack of success. Vince Young has never displayed anything that would lead us to believe he has ever had a solid mental grasp of an NFL offense. He has had some success with his athleticism, and he does sometimes have a knack for improvisation, but running an offensive system has not, to date, been something he has succeeded at. And it has not appeared to be due to a particularly poor work ethic or anything.

Kordell Stewart is another case. Plenty of talent and athleticism. All of his failures as a QB were mental, and a 12 score on the Wonderlic kind of raises that red flag.

People always try to cite Dan Marino in the Wonderlic discussions, failing to realize that his name comes up every time because there are so few passers who have succeeded despite a lower level of Wonderlic-measured intelligence. (Plus guys like him and Bradshaw probably would have scored higher with the test prep guys have gotten since the mid-'90s or so).

Chris Johnson signs contract, will report to practice

This changes the top 8 on any fantasy leagues still drafting...

The bastard quasi-Brett Favred his way out of training camp.

Okay. The Deadskins are back to playing the way I'm used to. Balance has returned to the universe.

Damnit! Don't lure me back in only to be disappointed!

RIP Lee Roy Selmon

karmajay wrote:
RIP Lee Roy Selmon :(

Aw, hell.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
karmajay wrote:
RIP Lee Roy Selmon :(

Aw, hell.

IMAGE(http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3936/selmonbust.jpg)

It's weird, I just went to the NFL Hall of Fame last weekend and was able to take a pic of his bust.

Selmon is apparently alive, and recovering from a stroke. Still sucks, but at least he's still around.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Selmon is apparently alive, and recovering from a stroke. Still sucks, but at least he's still around.

That's good, looks like some conflicting reports earlier.

So, Pryor gets suspended for 5 games but Sweater-Vest can come right in and start making money? Hmm...

Not a ton of surprise cuts, but it should be interesting to see if Chester Taylor lands anywhere. I imagine someone will take a flier on Brandon Merriweather who has too much talent not to be picked up, but a bad track record. I predict the Bengals. Tommie Harris might be given a shot somewhere, but if he couldn't make the d-line in Indy, I don't know where he might (though there's the whole veteran salary thing to consider). Brandon Tate will probably be given a shot somewhere. There may be life for Lito Sheppard once injuries pile up (veteran salary also true here). Also true for Will Allen (and here). Larry Johnson shouldn't be on the football field (definitely here). I imagine Laurent Robinson was cut since Malcolm Floyd came back to the Chargers and changed that whole receiver dynamic. Will Kellen Clemens ever get a shot at playing football? Even as a proper backup? While Tavares Gooden may not be a household name to many of you the guy has a ton of talent at the LB position, but he's a perpetual injury risk. Since he played for the Ravens I assume the Jets will draft him.

Anyone major stick out to you guys?

garion333 wrote:
Anyone major stick out to you guys?
Your lack of a copy editor who understands formatting.

boogle wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Anyone major stick out to you guys?
Your lack of a copy editor who understands formatting.

Ironically I am a copy editor. This was my half assed attempt to make it easier to read. Clearly that failed.