NFL 2011 Post-Lockout, Pre-Season Thread

Nnamdi Asomugha apparently was trying to get the starters to continually pay attention to what was happening on the field to understand how the coaches work. I gotta say that I've never heard a complaint about Asomugha outside of the fact he only plays on one side of the field (which really shouldn't matter on the team he currently plays on).

Nnamdi Asomugha is classy. I like that from my DBs,

*Legion* must be really confused right now. On the one hand, the Jaguars are stinking up Foxboro. On the other hand, both ESPN and the NFL Network are criticizing the hell out of Tebow.

Rat Boy wrote:

*Legion* must be really confused right now. On the one hand, the Jaguars are stinking up Foxboro. On the other hand, both ESPN and the NFL Network are criticizing the hell out of Tebow.

How is that confusing?

I watched Tebow for the sake of expecting to bash Tebow, and I wasn't disappointed. He had a pick called back on pass interference, but what was terrible was the throw; he got drilled by a defender and whilst being driven backwards just whipped the ball towards the WR. Got bailed out by the call, but it was a horrid call. Then, he did have a long completion, but the receiver had both the CB and S totally beat; it was an underthrow the WR had to jump to adjust to, so it was about a 40-yard gain instead of what should have been an 80-yard TD.

He still sucks.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I watched Tebow for the sake of expecting to bash Tebow, and I wasn't disappointed. He had a pick called back on pass interference, but what was terrible was the throw; he got drilled by a defender and whilst being driven backwards just whipped the ball towards the WR. Got bailed out by the call, but it was a horrid call. Then, he did have a long completion, but the receiver had both the CB and S totally beat; it was an underthrow the WR had to jump to adjust to, so it was about a 40-yard gain instead of what should have been an 80-yard TD.

He still sucks.

Yeah I just don't understand how little he has progressed since last year. What exactly was he doing all off season and lockout? I know he couldn't work with the team coaches, but surely he could have worked with other personal coaches, had smaller camps with some receivers he knows, etc.. his lack of progress I think just shows he doesn't really care or expects the job to just be handed to him.

LeapingGnome wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:

I watched Tebow for the sake of expecting to bash Tebow, and I wasn't disappointed. He had a pick called back on pass interference, but what was terrible was the throw; he got drilled by a defender and whilst being driven backwards just whipped the ball towards the WR. Got bailed out by the call, but it was a horrid call. Then, he did have a long completion, but the receiver had both the CB and S totally beat; it was an underthrow the WR had to jump to adjust to, so it was about a 40-yard gain instead of what should have been an 80-yard TD.

He still sucks.

Yeah I just don't understand how little he has progressed since last year. What exactly was he doing all off season and lockout? I know he couldn't work with the team coaches, but surely he could have worked with other personal coaches, had smaller camps with some receivers he knows, etc.. his lack of progress I think just shows he doesn't really care or expects the job to just be handed to him.

Seriously?

Well I sure liked all of the Seahawks QBs...except the starter. The thing that I noticed the most was when ESPN interviewed T-Jack on the sideline. It was a lousy interview and it hit home that I'm going to miss Hasselbeck.

So Russell 'Glass Ankles' Okung goes out right at the start of the game... not exactly what I was hoping to see. I was very happy, though, with how the right side of the line played.

I was also happy to see that we may have found a few CB gems on defense - our 6'3 5th round pick looked pretty good and 6'4 CB we picked up from the CFL made some nice plays. Carroll's giant CB strategy will be interesting to watch this year.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Yeah I just don't understand how little he has progressed since last year. What exactly was he doing all off season and lockout? I know he couldn't work with the team coaches, but surely he could have worked with other personal coaches, had smaller camps with some receivers he knows, etc.. his lack of progress I think just shows he doesn't really care or expects the job to just be handed to him.

I don't think lack of work is the problem. I think not having the skill set to be a starting NFL quarterback is the problem.

I almost hate to pick on Tebow too much, because it's like ragging on a 6th round pick for not becoming the team's new franchise QB. That's what Tebow should have been, and seemed destined to be until Josh McDaniels came along.

That said, after my parents actually pulled out the "he just wins!" line at dinner a few weeks ago, I have relished in reciting every Tebow failure story coming out of Broncos camp to them.

*Legion* wrote:

That said, after my parents actually pulled out the "he just wins!" line at dinner a few weeks ago, I have relished in reciting every Tebow failure story coming out of Broncos camp to them. :)

Never piss off the landlords, boy-o.

Nice to see Sergio Kindle on the field last night. I do hope he's able to make a career out of this.

Hey Tampa Bay is actually on tv.

Oh right, it's an away game...

They don't blackout pre-season anyway do they?

So basically, teams with new coaching staffs are f*cked.*

* = Bonus f*cked if your starting QB is Alex Smith.

I was actually surprised by how "good" the deadskins looked last night, but suspect that it is because everyone else is rusty because of the lockout. I predict that the 'skins will win their first three and still finish the season 4-12 as the other teams rise to the level of their talent and coaching.

Well, Cam didn't suck. Sure, he threw off his back foot a lot. But his two sacks weren't his fault, and he had a couple of pretty throws.

Even better, the Panthers' new OC is taking some chances downfield. The 3-and-long draw play apparently is not in his playbook!

Enix wrote:

Well, Cam didn't suck. Sure, he threw off his back foot a lot. But his two sacks weren't his fault, and he had a couple of pretty throws.

Even better, the Panthers' new OC is taking some chances downfield. The 3-and-long draw play apparently is not in his playbook!

From the looks of it Greg Olsen must be loving it in Carolina. People actually throw the ball to him!

garion333 wrote:

From the looks of it Greg Olsen must be loving it in Carolina. People actually throw the ball to him!

Yep. I'm starting to have Wesley Walls flashbacks. That's a good thing. (Unlike the Jimmy Clausen flashback I had Saturday night. That was awful.)

Enix wrote:
garion333 wrote:

From the looks of it Greg Olsen must be loving it in Carolina. People actually throw the ball to him!

Yep. I'm starting to have Wesley Walls flashbacks. That's a good thing. (Unlike the Jimmy Clausen flashback I had Saturday night. That was awful.)

What are you talking about? He threw TDs on his first two passes, right?

One of them was even to his own team.

Actually, Clausen didn't throw the TD pass until he had thrown the INT and gotten sacked once. Ron Rivera even called him out on the INT. (DeAngelo was open on the outside; Clausen threw to him as if he expected Williams to sit on the route.) His other throws were a bit off, including his TD pass.

Unless Cam Newton strangles a kitten between now and opening weekend (and probably even if he does), he'll start.

Bills to release Maybin. Not sure if this is considered shocking news or not.

Daunte Culpepper to the Niners?

jowner wrote:

Bills to release Maybin. Not sure if this is considered shocking news or not.

Shocking news is: Bills still had Maybin.

You want to talk about a supreme draft bust. Let's put it this way: he produced less than Vernon Gholston. Neither guy recorded a single NFL sack. Gholston started in 5 games and recorded 42 career tackles, Maybin started 1 game and recorded 24 career tackles.

Compared to them, Jaguar DE bust Derrick Harvey was an All-Pro, with 8.0 career sacks, 32 NFL starts, and 80 tackles.

Rat Boy wrote:

Daunte Culpepper to the Niners?

If I see Daunte Culpepper doing that little "rolling" celebration in a 49ers uniform, I will revoke my freshly reinstated 49ers fanhood.

Help me, Alex-Smith Kenobi. You're my only hope. (Until Kaepernick is ready)

*Legion* wrote:

(Until Kaepernick is ready)

He'll fit right in with SF. The street clothes he was wearing after Friday's game suggested he went shopping with the Giants' bullpen.

Let's go Texans!

*Legion* wrote:

Help me, Alex-Smith Kenobi. You're my only hope.

IMAGE(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/Gumbie84/laughing.gif)

Gumbie wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Help me, Alex-Smith Kenobi. You're my only hope.

IMAGE(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/Gumbie84/laughing.gif)

Fans of teams who have started Vince Young don't get to laugh at other teams' starters.

*Legion* wrote:
Gumbie wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Help me, Alex-Smith Kenobi. You're my only hope.

IMAGE(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/Gumbie84/laughing.gif)

Fans of teams who have started Vince Young don't get to laugh at other teams' starters. :P

Alex Smith 19-31
Vince Young 30-18

Yeah we've given Alex Smith a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, maybe a 5th chance now? No room to make fun of anyone else. Ugh.

I know I could have. I got wicked pitch skills