Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Catch-All

Related PA comic today.

Stele wrote:

Nintendo's e-mail ads say "limited edition" on the bundle. Walmart's Black Friday ad shows the bundles for $10 off this Fri (or maybe Thurs night at 10pm?). Should still be some out there this week, but not sure how much after that...

I bought my copy at a Canadian Walmart on Sunday; the guy told me he was not aware of any new M+ bundles coming in, but then, he wouldn't really be in a position to know. But as far as that dude was concerned, it was a preorder only deal.

4xis.black wrote:
Stele wrote:

Nintendo's e-mail ads say "limited edition" on the bundle. Walmart's Black Friday ad shows the bundles for $10 off this Fri (or maybe Thurs night at 10pm?). Should still be some out there this week, but not sure how much after that...

I bought my copy at a Canadian Walmart on Sunday; the guy told me he was not aware of any new M+ bundles coming in, but then, he wouldn't really be in a position to know. But as far as that dude was concerned, it was a preorder only deal.

I bit the bullet and picked up my pre-order. From everything I could find online, there was no indication Nintendo would ship another round of limited editions, and in some places people were saying that the gold controller would not be a part of future bundles either way. I can't confirm or deny this, but it was enough to make me just buy it. Now I have to figure out what else I can ask for for Christmas. Old Republic?

I bought a Motion Plus built-in controller the day they were released. Seemed like the best idea. Sold my other controller + motion plus add-on and simply paid the upgrade cost. It sucks, but I hated the feel of the giant add-on + controller.

I just got my bird back, and it looks like I'm flying that Pokemon from the cover of Gold everywhere. Flight controls are interesting, but it's hard to pull up or down without banking.

I'm digging it well enough. It doesn't feel like I'm playing a reskinned Ocarina of Time. Of course, it could be a reskinned Wind Waker and I wouldn't be able to tell, as I never got to play that one.

I still would have preferred classic controls over motion, though. I swing upward and Link swings downward. Still hits the enemy, but not 1:1 like everyone claims.

I'm having a tough time keeping my controller calibrated. Seems like after every fight, the sword controls are out of whack. Makes it a pain when I'm trying to do a horizontal slash to kill one of those plants and Link just keeps doing diagonal or vertical slashes. I'm kind of worried about what happens later if they start demanding precision in your directional slashes, since I'm just not sure this thing's keeping up. Is it that I'm waving the thing around too much, or what?

If it's anything like WSR, it recenters regularly when pointed at the TV, but it's pretty easy to throw out of whack. You can quickly recalibrate it by looking around in first person mode (C) or opening the gear menu (1) and pressing down on the d-pad.

Chaz wrote:

I'm having a tough time keeping my controller calibrated. Seems like after every fight, the sword controls are out of whack. Makes it a pain when I'm trying to do a horizontal slash to kill one of those plants and Link just keeps doing diagonal or vertical slashes. I'm kind of worried about what happens later if they start demanding precision in your directional slashes, since I'm just not sure this thing's keeping up. Is it that I'm waving the thing around too much, or what?

There is a maximum angular acceleration that the controller can detect. This was also apparent in WSR and RS2. To remain calibrated, you must swing within the accel limit. Not waggling helps, if that's what you're doing.

I know this will be an unpopular sentiment, but games like this really reinforce my wish that Nintendo would simply become a very successful third party software developer/publisher. This game is great so far, but in my head I can't stop thinking how much better it would be to have this game with its wonderful art style in HD and using the more precise Move controller. Instead we live in a world where Sony has a great motion controller but not much worth playing on it besides the Bocce ball portion of Move Sports Champions, and Nintendo makes great games but releases them on hardware that blows.

Jasonofindy:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Move controller isn't more precise. It's more accurate over time because it zeroes all the time, but its precision is lesser. Accuracy and precision are not the same thing.

A substantial part of why Link combat and WSR combat works is founded on the speed of refresh of the Wiimote.

Jasonofindy wrote:

I know this will be an unpopular sentiment, but games like this really reinforce my wish that Nintendo would simply become a very successful third party software developer/publisher. This game is great so far, but in my head I can't stop thinking how much better it would be to have this game with its wonderful art style in HD and using the more precise Move controller. Instead we live in a world where Sony has a great motion controller but not much worth playing on it besides the Bocce ball portion of Move Sports Champions, and Nintendo makes great games but releases them on hardware that blows.

Conversely, I'm excited to see how the next Zelda looks on the Wii U in native 720/1080p, and I certainly want to see another game using the same art direction as this one.

I was a little disappointed to find that, after throwing pumpkins at the NPCs, they were still more than happy to help me with my quest.

I'm well aware of the difference between accuracy and precision so don't talk down to me. Precision means your result in repeatable. The Wiimotion+ loses accuracy unless you stop and recenter every so often. See the complaints just above. The loss of accuracy also means that your movements aren't precise as they can differ greatly depending on how often you recalibrate your Wiimote+. This happens to a small extent on the Move as well, but camera data is used to recalibrate on the fly.

Look, I know that you deem yourself the Lord protector of all things Nintendo here on the site, but just step away from your love and actually compare the products. What is sad is that you are the sole reason I wish this site had a block function, and I know that I am not alone. Dealing with you actually drove me away from the site for a few weeks a couple of months ago because threads with you in them usually devolve to the level of other internet sites.

I'm out.

shoptroll wrote:

Conversely, I'm excited to see how the next Zelda looks on the Wii U in native 720/1080p, and I certainly want to see another game using the same art direction as this one.

Conversely, I'm excited to see how the next Zelda looks on the Wii U in native 720/1080p, and I certainly want to see another game using the same art direction as this one.[/quote]

I'm excited to see that too.

Jasonofindy wrote:

I know this will be an unpopular sentiment, but games like this really reinforce my wish that Nintendo would simply become a very successful third party software developer/publisher.

This is something I read so often that I don't know that it should be called unpopular. However, keep in mind that the technological inferiority of Nintendo consoles is something that's only been true in this console generation. The Nintendo 64 and GameCube were both technically more powerful than their main competitors (the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, respectively). I'm convinced that it was those consoles' lackluster performance relative to their weaker competition that inspired Nintendo to build the Wii with such weak hardware. Blame buyers.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

If it's anything like WSR, it recenters regularly when pointed at the TV, but it's pretty easy to throw out of whack. You can quickly recalibrate it by looking around in first person mode (C) or opening the gear menu (1) and pressing down on the d-pad.

To add to this: the Wiimotes also recalibrate and recenter whenever you aim. Once you get the slingshot, you'll be aiming it so often between battles that the Wiimote will be recentering constantly.

Wow the Orchestra OST that came with Preorders is so awesome. Nerd chills! A friend of mine let me borrow it. Now I want to buy my Wii back and play this.

Part of why I love the DS is the low horsepower of it. I think it forced developers to be more creative. I wish that had happened with the Wii as well. I honestly don't care that the Wii isn't powerful either. If 3rd parties embraced it with quality games actually designed for the Wii then I would look at the Wii as an all around success from Nintendo's point of view. It would be a platform full of unique experiences instead of a platform full of 1st party games.

The only time I really notice that the Wii isn't powerful is during games like Skyward Sword. Most Wii games I have I think look great because of the style they went for, i.e. Kirby's Epic Yarn.

There is certainly something to be said for staggered graphical capabilities amongst the various consoles forcing developers to use stylization to stay competitive. If the Wii had 360 components inside it, there would be a strong temptation to simply 'UE3 it'.

Wound up going on a little hunt this afternoon, and found me a limited edition at my 3rd walmart. This in turn prompted me to grab some component cables. I probably wouldn't have bothered as the golden wiimote I could make do without, but the soundtrack was worth taking a look around for.

Strewth wrote:

Wound up going on a little hunt this afternoon, and found me a limited edition at my 3rd walmart. This in turn prompted me to grab some component cables. I probably wouldn't have bothered as the golden wiimote I could make do without, but the soundtrack was worth taking a look around for.

I hate to tell you this now, but the soundtrack was included in all first-print copies of the game, including standard editions. I bought the standard edition at Best Buy on Sunday (not a pre-order) and got the soundtrack.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Strewth wrote:

Wound up going on a little hunt this afternoon, and found me a limited edition at my 3rd walmart. This in turn prompted me to grab some component cables. I probably wouldn't have bothered as the golden wiimote I could make do without, but the soundtrack was worth taking a look around for.

I hate to tell you this now, but the soundtrack was included in all first-print copies of the game, including standard editions. I bought the standard edition at Best Buy on Sunday (not a pre-order) and got the soundtrack.

Well, I needed the M+ controller anyways. And I wound up getting some holiday shopping done, probably the earliest I've ever started. So I'm ok with that.

From page 2 of this thread, to clear it up for anyone:

mrtomaytohead wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

$70 gold remote bundle announced. It will also come with that music CD. I will probably pick that version up because my roommate doesn't have a motion plus thing for his Wii.

That's a good deal. Also, the CD comes with every game regardless of version for it's initial run.

Also for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, every copy in the initial production of the game will come packaged with a special music CD featuring orchestral arrangements of select songs that will be performed at The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert.
...
The limited-edition gold controller bundle for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be offered at a suggested retail price of $69.99. The game will also be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $49.99, though the gold controller will only be available as part of the special bundle. As an additional 25th anniversary treat for fans who purchase the game early, every copy in the initial production, whether sold by itself or as a part of the limited-edition bundle, will come with a free CD featuring select orchestral arrangements of iconic music spanning the history of the franchise which will be performed at The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert performances in October 2011. For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, visit http://www.zelda.com/skywardsword.

I just got to the Sealed Temple and am entering the forest.

I could really do with some classic button-pushing combat.

I'm certainly liking the game, though, and honestly, I dig the more cinematic focus. Hell, I just dig that it doesn't feel like any other Zelda game I've played.

Hmm, doesn't seem to any new side quests, or other new content besides the Pumpkin bar, after the second dungeon. I'm a sad Zelda player right now. I love the introduction of bomb rolling to Zelda. But, why must you constantly get in the way of fun, motion controls? I'm already readying Link to throw a bomb, why do I need to point 50° vertically either way? Can this tech not pick up 25°, or even 30° of differentiation? I'm very glad to be heading to the third dungeon, many reviewer's favorite. Maybe I can finally love this game?

Just finished the first dungeon yesterday and loved every second of it. I'm still madly in love with this game. I've experienced the remote becoming all kajiggered, but opening a menu and hitting D-pad down is a quick and easy enough fix that it doesn't bother me. Everything else is perfect in my eyes. The fight with the dude at the end of the first dungeon was crazy fun and was not what I was expecting. I was expecting the more typical giant monster with a glowing weak point that you need to hit with the beetle and then stab it a bunch once it falls to the ground, repeat twice, win.

I know this is supposed to be a pretty big game that takes somewhere around 50 hours to complete, but does anyone know how many dungeons there are? I always worry about the number of dungeons in Zelda games. Sure, Majora's Mask is one of my absolute favorite games of all time and it only has 4 dungeons, but Wind Waker's 5 dungeons really disappointed me and nothing made me happier in Twilight Princess than realizing there were like 9 dungeons.

I've heard 7 or 8, or 15 depending on your idea of a dungeon. He said that the areas outside of indoor dungeons could be considered a dungeon of their own because they have puzzles, important items, new enemies, etc.

I'm in the middle of the second dungeon and loving it as well. That same review complained about the collectible stuff, but I'm finding it pretty satisfying. I've had absolutely no problem with the motion controls. My only complaint is the overworld traversal. Maybe I'm spoiled by Skyrim or something, but having to navigate that bird clear across the map every time I unlock a new chest in the sky is a pain.

Yeah getting to the 2nd dungeon (Earth Temple) was a chore in itself.

Just got my bomb bag last thing before I went to bed. Looking forward to some holiday progress the next few days.

I'm enjoying this game so much and think there are so many neat things in it that I'm having trouble articulating them all.

My love for the moment is the way that not only orientation (as in, horizontal or vertical) but direction (left to right, top to bottom) is important in combat. It reminds me (once again) of Wii Sports Resort and the speed slash mini-game where you have to slash objects in a specific direction as quickly as possible. I like the enemies in Skyward Sword that need to be attacked in one direction or another, like the skeleton warriors with the two swords or the Skulltulas. This is so obviously a game designed from the ground up for motion controls in a way Twilight Princess wasn't.

I could really go without the motion controls, truth told. Maybe I just haven't figured out the magic trick or something, but these basic pig enemies are a lot more trouble than they ought to be. Hell, the Deku plants are more trouble than they ought to be.

I figured out that the pigs will match the direction of your sword, which means you got to change position and slash quickly. Unfortunately, this tends to translate into an actual slash which naturally doesn't work. Then, half the time I'm trying a sideways slash, it just comes off as diagonal.

Great idea in theory, but I expected better out of the Wii motion plus, even.

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problems. When the random starter enemies are causing problems due to the controls' inability to do what I want them to, I worry about how the game's going to be long-term.