Boston, MA Area GwJr's

Blind_Evil wrote:

The office is the Federal building at 15 New Sudbury St. Link to the google map here.

Check this out:

http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/gar...

Valenti Way, Canal St, North Washington all have lots sub $20 all day. Those are all 5-ish minute walks, and you'll be going in early enough to take advantage of them.

Blind_Evil wrote:

The Lincoln Street looks far enough away that a T ride there and back would be necessary, so even if it's $20, that brings it to $24, and I'm not sure $11 is worth the trouble of figuring out the T system and not being within walking distance of my car (I have been to Boston maybe three times, mind, I'm new to the area).

Then again, according to Google maps it's 1 mile from that location to New Sudbury St., so I could maybe just walk. It says most of the walk is on Congress St., is that one hazardous for pedestrians?

Edit: apparently that garage is up to $30 now.

Glad I didn't get a job requiring that commute full-time.

Allow me to introduce you to the Nautical at the Charlestown navy yard, $15 a day + $6 round trip on the harbor ferry, that drops off right at the NE Aquarium.

dup

This is why I've lived in the area for 2.5 years and have never gone to the city (not including the airport)

So in other Boston news, anyone else heading to see The VGO @ BSO on 10/7?

McIrishJihad wrote:

So in other Boston news, anyone else heading to see The VGO @ BSO on 10/7?

Demyx and I would be, but we'll be on vacation then. However, we will be at the Zelda concert on the 18th.

shoptroll wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

So in other Boston news, anyone else heading to see The VGO @ BSO on 10/7?

Demyx and I would be, but we'll be on vacation then. However, we will be at the Zelda concert on the 18th.

Hooooooow have Polypusher and I missed all these things?

I went to a Final Fantasy music symphony and one called "Play!" back in TX, but that was years ago and I'm itching for another. Must check this thread more often, apparently.

thegirlnerd wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

So in other Boston news, anyone else heading to see The VGO @ BSO on 10/7?

Demyx and I would be, but we'll be on vacation then. However, we will be at the Zelda concert on the 18th.

Hooooooow have Polypusher and I missed all these things?

I went to a Final Fantasy music symphony and one called "Play!" back in TX, but that was years ago and I'm itching for another. Must check this thread more often, apparently.

Here's the link for tickets and here's the link for the Kickstarter (trying to raise $30k to record the live concert and put out an album).

McIrishJihad wrote:

Here's the link for tickets and here's the link for the Kickstarter (trying to raise $30k to record the live concert and put out an album).

If anyone is still looking to buy tickets, I received an email this morning from Symphony Hall/VGO stating if you use promo code bahamut at checkout you get a 50% discount.

shoptroll wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

Here's the link for tickets and here's the link for the Kickstarter (trying to raise $30k to record the live concert and put out an album).

If anyone is still looking to buy tickets, I received an email this morning from Symphony Hall/VGO stating if you use promo code bahamut at checkout you get a 50% discount.

I has a sad :/ Wish I knew that before buying 3 tickets at full price, especially now that they've extended student pricing to include non-box office tickets (wife and friend are both students).

While I am not going to the VGO, I am going to J. Cannibals Feast of Flesh XII: RE-Animator on Saturday night at the coolidge. Horror Burlesque, a zombie costume contest and a midnight screening of Re-animator. might be more affordable than VGO if you can't make that.

IMAGE(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_C_8M2WVWfgM/TNV_YgPMbnI/AAAAAAAAICM/c_qu8jtqsmQ/s1600/reanimator.jpg)

Damn, I miss going to those when I used to live down the road from the Coolidge. They're damn fun.

So Saturday is looking like low 60s and 30% chance of rain - perfect weather for a corn maze! No, that's not sarcasm, this is New England - that is great fall weather, and will likely keep a lot of people from coming out and crowding the maze. Are we still doing this? If not, do people want to try something else? I really would like to get another local GWJ fix before heading out to PenguinCon.

Also:

Chaz[/url]]I still need to choose my tag.. link included.

Atras wrote:

So Saturday is looking like low 60s and 30% chance of rain - perfect weather for a corn maze! No, that's not sarcasm, this is New England - that is great fall weather, and will likely keep a lot of people from coming out and crowding the maze. Are we still doing this? If not, do people want to try something else? I really would like to get another local GWJ fix before heading out to PenguinCon.

We're going to be packing for our vacation Saturday and running any last minute errands, so I think we're a "nay"

Atras wrote:

So Saturday is looking like low 60s and 30% chance of rain - perfect weather for a corn maze! No, that's not sarcasm, this is New England - that is great fall weather, and will likely keep a lot of people from coming out and crowding the maze. Are we still doing this? If not, do people want to try something else? I really would like to get another local GWJ fix before heading out to PenguinCon.

Also:

Chaz[/url]]I still need to choose my tag.. link included.

Heading down to NC for a wedding this weekend. Did you want to team up and try to organize a Wii U thing?

As an alternative, completely selfish plan: we could go to the park in Northborough again and play all of the board games. :3

I'm taking my little sister through the hedge maze in Stow this Saturday, so alas, I shall not be doing so with the Goodjers.

Atras wrote:

So Saturday is looking like low 60s and 30% chance of rain - perfect weather for a corn maze! No, that's not sarcasm, this is New England - that is great fall weather, and will likely keep a lot of people from coming out and crowding the maze. Are we still doing this? If not, do people want to try something else? I really would like to get another local GWJ fix before heading out to PenguinCon.

I'll be going to Honk! in Davis Square that day, so I can't make it.

I'm a regular GWJ listener and occasional forum lurker and I just moved to Revere in June. As autumn settles in and the mercury drops, I've been getting the itch to play some board games. Are there any fairly regular GWJ-affiliated board-game groups around Boston?

Just dropping in to say hello and introduce myself to the Boston GWJers, since I'm moving to Boston next week (JP). Any quick start guides to geek, games, and gatherings in Beantown?

Going through these old posts for tips. Anything new or social happening? I'm especially into midnight movies (heard about the Coolidge), outdoor fests, biking/running, and homebrew.

Schmutzli wrote:

Just dropping in to say hello and introduce myself to the Boston GWJers, since I'm moving to Boston next week (JP). Any quick start guides to geek, games, and gatherings in Beantown?

Going through these old posts for tips. Anything new or social happening? I'm especially into midnight movies (heard about the Coolidge), outdoor fests, biking/running, and homebrew.

If you dig pinball at all, a short drive north into Pelham, NH will get you to the the very awesome Pinball Wizard Arcade.

Schmutzli wrote:

geek

Cambridge is geek central. You can find plenty of stuff to do there I'm told.

games

For board games you want to either hit Compleat (spelling?) Strategist near BU, Pandemonium Books & Games in Central Square, or Games People Play between Harvard and Central Squares. Not sure if there's anything in Jamaica Plain, but those are the main ones I've used. Pandemonium skews a lot more toward the D&D/M:tG crowd (especially after merging with Your Move Games from Davis Square a couple years back) and they have play space in the basement. Games People Play is a bit stuffier and skews toward eurogames and more traditional games along with puzzles of various sorts. Compleat is smaller by comparison and stocks primarily the same inventory as Pandemonium.

Oh, and we have this thing called PAX East. You might have heard about it.

Lucky Wilbury wrote:

If you dig pinball at all, a short drive north into Pelham, NH will get you to the the very awesome Pinball Wizard Arcade.

We really need to do this at some point as a meetup point. I'm not proposing we do it now while it's still somewhat decent outside, but I'd like to have a meetup soon. Just not sure where or what to do.

How does next weekend (or rest of the month) look for people?

shoptroll wrote:
Lucky Wilbury wrote:

If you dig pinball at all, a short drive north into Pelham, NH will get you to the the very awesome Pinball Wizard Arcade.

We really need to do this at some point as a meetup point. I'm not proposing we do it now while it's still somewhat decent outside, but I'd like to have a meetup soon. Just not sure where or what to do.

How does next weekend (or rest of the month) look for people?

The weekend of Saturday the 10th might be the best shot in November. Veteran's day on Monday the 12th is likely to be a long weekend for many. A meet-up at the Pinball Wizard Arcade sounds like fun to me.

@Schmutzli I'm fond of the bike-path in Lexington but that's not particularly convenient for you in JP.

I just moved from Malden to southern NH, so I'm not much direct help, though one of my college buddies who plays board games lives in jp. Check out unity games, which is a boston-ish area board game groups. They do regular meetups and have a yearly mini convention.

Welcome! I live a bit outside of Boston now, but spent 29 years in and around the city. I'm currently running a couple of tabletop games, and should a space open, would always be happy to invite a Goodjer to the table.

What brings you to Boston?

shoptroll wrote:
Schmutzli wrote:

geek

Cambridge is geek central. You can find plenty of stuff to do there I'm told.

games

For board games you want to either hit Compleat (spelling?) Strategist near BU, Pandemonium Books & Games in Central Square, or Games People Play between Harvard and Central Squares. Not sure if there's anything in Jamaica Plain, but those are the main ones I've used. Pandemonium skews a lot more toward the D&D/M:tG crowd (especially after merging with Your Move Games from Davis Square a couple years back) and they have play space in the basement. Games People Play is a bit stuffier and skews toward eurogames and more traditional games along with puzzles of various sorts. Compleat is smaller by comparison and stocks primarily the same inventory as Pandemonium.

Oh, and we have this thing called PAX East. You might have heard about it.

Lucky Wilbury wrote:

If you dig pinball at all, a short drive north into Pelham, NH will get you to the the very awesome Pinball Wizard Arcade.

We really need to do this at some point as a meetup point. I'm not proposing we do it now while it's still somewhat decent outside, but I'd like to have a meetup soon. Just not sure where or what to do.

How does next weekend (or rest of the month) look for people?

Totally slammed through November, given the holidays, but perhaps either pre-Christmas December, or th beginning of January?

Awesome, another Goodjer in Boston! I'm fairly flexible this month, and I'd love to get together. The last time we did it a few weeks ago in Brookline was a lot of fun, and we could do it again. If we don't have a ton of people I might be able to host a board game session too.

I've got family stuff this Saturday (the 3rd), but should be free for the other non-holiday weekends in November.

Living in Lowell has its perks - only 20 minutes to Pinball Wizard and all the pan-Asian food you could ever want.

I forgot I went to Pinball Wizard for a work party once. They handed everyone a cup with $20 in quarters, and we went for lunch and a movie at Chunky's after. It was pretty sweet.

I always seem to plunk down $20, and even when I'm there with the wife and our roommate, we can't seem to kill that before playing everything.