What does your ideal education system look like?
Another delightful spin-off thread. Some people began to tackle it the last time the education issue came up so here's an opportunity to go more in depth. I'll start:
1) Being a government funded glorified babysitting service will no longer be tolerated as sufficient.
2) Judging from our other threads on education - a better method of assigning funding to schools must be worked out.
3) Ditch the rote memorization and regurgitation scheme. The fact that you temporarily knew at least 51% of a subject's curriculum does not mean you are educated.
4) Training in information retrieval. Library and internet skills, assessing sources, etc.
4/5 crossover) Training in the analysis of retrieved/presented information for validity.
5) Training in critical thinking. This shall at minimum include applied logic, statistics (because the field is often misused), cognitive biases and how to avoid them, etc.
6) Training in creative thinking.
7) Comprehensive sexual education (see also: sexual morality thread). Let's move it beyond the 'abstinence', extremely low production value videos and rolling a condom onto a wooden phallus level.
8) Comprehensive training in personal finances. This should include basic budgeting, how to decipher credit card/loan terms and conditions, how to use such things properly, and so on.
9) Better student:teacher ratios such that teachers may better strive to apply and evaluate the above.
and if you can count this as part of the education system -
10) All parents acknowledge and embrace that learning does not end at school. They strive to reinforce the above.