This thread is specifically for signup to and discussion about the GWJFFL, the official Fantasy Football League(s) of Gamers with Jobs. For general fantasy football, please visit the catch-all thread.
Registration is on a first come, first serve basis, with priority given to returning owners. Teams who sign up after all positions are filled will be added to an alternate list to be contacted should a slot become available. The waiting list carries over from year to year so signing up as an alternate for this season reserves your position until you forfeit it.
The GWJFFL follows, as closely as possible, the rules of the World Championship of Online Fantasy Football. As much as the hosting website allows, we will conform to the official GWJFFL rules.
Significant highlights include:
Roster Requirements: Maximum of 20 players.
Starting lineups will consist of
1 Flex player (a RB or WR, or TE)
1 Team Defense/Special team
Point Calculations: Team scoring will be carried out to the hundredth (e.g. a team may score 94.75 points).
Free Agent Acquisitions/Blind Bidding: The free agent system will be a “blind bidding” process. Each team will start with $100 free agent “dollars” for the season, and will be permitted to bid for free agents on a weekly basis. No team will be informed of any other team’s free agent bids until after the winning bids have been awarded. A team owner will no longer be able to bid on free agents once their season long waiver wire cap of $100 has been reached.
Promotion and Relegation: In order to provide additional incentive for competitive play, the GWJFFL uses a promotion and relegation system. If and only if positions for promotion do not come available through natural attrition, the rules for relegation from the upper divisions will be implemented.
For detailed scoring information and additional information regarding the free agent acquisition process (including examples) and relegation, refer to the rules document.
Returning veterans (only last year counts) that post by 23:59 CDT next Thursday, 08/11, will be guaranteed a spot. (Important Note: If you got left on the waiting list last year, you will be treated as a veteran for the purpose of re-claiming your spot on the waiting list, but you still need to check in.) Beginning 08/12, all sign-ups are first come, first serve. Expansion teams (i.e. new owners) should still post ASAP because you'll be added to the waiting list in the order you post to fill what slots remain once the veterans have had their head-start.
Assuming there continues to be sufficient interest, there will again be 3 GWJFFL leagues. "Sufficient interest" means that there are at least 30 unique managers signed-up. The maximum number of participants is 33.
Registration will close at 23:59 CDT on Sunday, 8/21.
* 08/02 to 08/11 - Preferred registration: returning owners reclaim their spot; new owners get onto the waiting list
* 08/12 to 08/21 - Open registration
* The official GWJFFL rules (To be followed as much as the league website allows.)
* Registration log and team list
Special note: As mentioned here, the relegation procedures in the current version of the rules are the ones that will be effective at the end of this year. Should we need to utilize relegation this preseason, we will use the process described here.
Last year, in week 14, I wrote:
Promotion happens based on year-end rankings and so relegation will do so as well. The top two teams have the option of going up. If and when necessary, the bottom two teams will do down.
Now for the spice:
1) Since the two participants of the "Super Bowl" are eligible for promotion, the two final teams in the consolation tournament (aka the "Toilet Bowl") earn immunity from relegation for the following year.
2) Should the commissioner be one of the bottom two teams, or should one of the bottom two teams earn immunity, the #10 team becomes at risk for relegation.
3) If the commissioner is one of the bottom three teams, AND one of the other bottom teams earns immunity, #9 becomes at risk for relegation.
4) If the commissioner is on of the bottom four teams and BOTH of the bottom teams make it to the toilet bowl, the #8 team is at risk for relegation.
Remember that relegation is not guaranteed. It will only be utilized should positions for promotion not come available through natural attrition.
I'll figure out what that means in practical terms if we don't have promotion slots open up through natural attrition.