Frozen Synapse "The Ultimate Tactical Game" from Mode 7

I challenged a buddy to a friendly match:

jollyeskimo wrote:

I challenged a buddy to a friendly match:

Lol. You build the level?

garion333 wrote:

Lol. You build the level?

Yeah, 11 guys with guns against 11 other guys with different guns. It was totally fair.

I had challenged you, but then the servers barfed (again) and I lost all my challenges and current games. I don't think I'm going to play too much until they get their servers figured out.

But I still have the other end of one of those games! Arg. Here I thought you had to walk the dog or something.

I've got a second game in the same predicament.

I've been playing on Texas2, mostly. No particular reason.

Just applied all of the current system updates to the Mac, then restarted. Not sure what part of that had the effect, but Frozen Synapse just launched, started up, and then allowed me to create an account.

Add me in as m0nk3yboy.

Any tips for the noob? Going to view the tutorials page,and play through the single player bits.

Does it matter which server we log into?
Can you only play people on the same server?
If so, what server are the good GWJ folk inhabiting?

Catch youoallon there at some time.

If anyone else wants to jump into this game, I just bought it on Steam and have an extra copy available that I'll sell for $10. Let me know.

I just did the tutorial, to get a feel for it, and it is pretty slick. But I think I'm going to finish up The Witcher 2 before getting into this game. However, if anyone sees me on Steam and wants to challenge me, feel free.

I have an extra key and don't know what to do with it. Any ideas? Possibly a Goodjer raffle? Possibly selling it for $100?

Finally got some matches going. This is a blast, and it can be nail-biting when your opponent is good. Even with the issues, it's worth it.

I am so, so bad at this game. But I love the concept!

Don't forget to run your test turns, Speed. That's what messed me up at first.

Robear wrote:

Don't forget to run your test turns, Speed. That's what messed me up at first.

Yeah I'm doing alright with those. I ran through the tutorials. Strat games and me have a love/suck relationship. I love to watch/suck at playing. haha. But I'll keep plugging away.

I just played a match in which I had been challenged in which it was obvious that the other player had setup the map. All my guys were placed in a small room and he was able to place his guys where ever he wanted to. Within a quarter of a second of starting the round, my guys were all dead.

Tkyl wrote:

I just played a match in which I had been challenged in which it was obvious that the other player had setup the map. All my guys were placed in a small room and he was able to place his guys where ever he wanted to. Within a quarter of a second of starting the round, my guys were all dead.

I've had a couple weird pubbie matches where I'm in a cramped room and my opponent is on the opposite corner with clear line of site and 2 rocket units in our squads.

Robear wrote:

Don't forget to run your test turns, Speed. That's what messed me up at first.

The big turnaround for me was when I realized I could move the enemies around as well when testing out moves. It let me put myself in worst case scenarios each turn.

Is there anyway to gift both copies through Steam? I have two friends that would love this game, and would like to get it for them.

Woo!

Go away for 3 days and suddenly the thread has exploded!

I'll have to grab a copy of this tonight and dive in.

Sinatar wrote:
Robear wrote:

Don't forget to run your test turns, Speed. That's what messed me up at first.

The big turnaround for me was when I realized I could move the enemies around as well when testing out moves. It let me put myself in worst case scenarios each turn.

What what? I had no idea. Maybe bow I can beat Tkyl!

Should we pick a server for all the GWJ people to flock on? It kinda sucks to go between servers all the time.

I need to pick this up. Looks so cool, even though I know I will suck at it.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Should we pick a server for all the GWJ people to flock on? It kinda sucks to go between servers all the time.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know how long the "emergency servers" will be running, but it may be worth it to slowly migrate our group to a single server. I've been gravitating towards Texas 2 (for no particular reason), but wherever the party is, I'll be there.

Just tried it again, and it locked up again.

Oh well, it looks like I'll be relegated to playing this at the office, in between work.

I'm TheCounselor there, too. Hit me up for a game!

TheCounselor wrote:

Just tried it again, and it locked up again.

Oh well, it looks like I'll be relegated to playing this at the office, in between work.

I'm TheCounselor there, too. Hit me up for a game!

It does this to me about once an hour of game time.

Torq wrote:

Woo!

Go away for 3 days and suddenly the thread has exploded!

I'll have to grab a copy of this tonight and dive in.

Do you want my extra copy?

Question: I added several of you to my in-game friends list. I've sent out several challenges as well. Do you receive challenges cross-server at this point or do you need to be on the same server as the person challenging you? I'm on TEXAS4 simply because it has the lowest population when I loaded the game.

Robear, I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones I challenged. Did you get a notification?

So, I bought the game on Steam, and have an extra copy. I don't necessarily want anything for it, but some reciprocation at some nebulous point in the future would be nice. EDIT: Claimed.

Also, the game locks up my home PC. I was able to install it on my laptop at the office fine, but whenever I tried it at home, I'd have to manually shut my PC down and restart to do anything. I'm trying it again after deleting and re-downloading, so here's hoping.

Tigerbill wrote:

Is there anyway to gift both copies through Steam? I have two friends that would love this game, and would like to get it for them.

Don't buy it from Steam and then email them each a key. Then they can activate those keys on Steam.

Sway wrote:

Question: I added several of you to my in-game friends list. I've sent out several challenges as well. Do you receive challenges cross-server at this point or do you need to be on the same server as the person challenging you? I'm on TEXAS4 simply because it has the lowest population when I loaded the game.

Robear, I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones I challenged. Did you get a notification?

From what I've gathered, you can play people across different servers. However, it seems like if you issue a challenge while the other person is not online, they have to login to the server you issued the challenge from. I might be wrong, but that's at least how it has seemed for me recently.

Tkyl wrote:
Sway wrote:

Question: I added several of you to my in-game friends list. I've sent out several challenges as well. Do you receive challenges cross-server at this point or do you need to be on the same server as the person challenging you? I'm on TEXAS4 simply because it has the lowest population when I loaded the game.

Robear, I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones I challenged. Did you get a notification?

From what I've gathered, you can play people across different servers. However, it seems like if you issue a challenge while the other person is not online, they have to login to the server you issued the challenge from. I might be wrong, but that's at least how it has seemed for me recently.

Which explains why I never see any of the challenges that my email tells me I have.

So, is there a way to zoom in on the maps? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Robear, I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones I challenged. Did you get a notification?

I got an email, but it didn't tell me what server to use. Texas4? I've been on Texas2, but I'll log in to 4 long enough to crush your dreams. No extra cost.

TheCounselor wrote:

So, is there a way to zoom in on the maps? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Mouse Wheel. I'm not sure how to do it without the mouse wheel.

Robear wrote:
Robear, I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones I challenged. Did you get a notification?

I got an email, but it didn't tell me what server to use. Texas4? I've been on Texas2, but I'll log in to 4 long enough to crush your dreams. No extra cost. :-)

Another thing you can do, is when it asks you which server to join, click on the Games list instead. That should list all your games. If you double click one of those, it will auto join the correct server. (At least that is what seems to be happening)/