Frozen Synapse "The Ultimate Tactical Game" from Mode 7

BlackSabre wrote:
Space Indaver wrote:

I'm terrible at games and will definitely rage when I lose. But god damn it I love the idea of asynchronous tactics. If anyone wants to "school" a "noob", hi, I'm spaceindaver. Challenge me and win free points!

And if there's a specific FS GWJ Steam group, an invite would make my wang big and strong.

Yeah, well I'm weary of challenging you so called "noobs". You just don't do what I expect you to do

*sigh* It's cost me my last 3 GWJ games. I hate losing. So very... very.. much.

Maybe you should get better at predicting what your opponent is going to do

I like fighting noobs. They always make the same mistakes and get caught by the same tricks. I don't think of it as exploitation. I think of it as education.

I'm looking to get schooled in some multi-player. I haven't put a ton of time into the SP, so I expect I'll get slaughtered. I equate this to being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

Games are PBEM style right?

Radical Ans wrote:

I'm looking to get schooled in some multi-player. I haven't put a ton of time into the SP, so I expect I'll get slaughtered. I equate this to being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

Games are PBEM style right?

Yes. You both make your turn and submit and when both are done, you see the results.

Don't worry about sucking in MP. It's not a big deal and you'll get better fast. Players vastly over your experience level are going to take you out fast (I lost in, oh, about 1 second last night to a guy +30 levels my senior), but you actually have equal chances.

Just hit the red "I don't want a game" button in the lower left corner and you should be playing in under 30 seconds.

Coming to the iPad is 2012!

At the recent Gamecity festival in the UK, Paul Taylor from the developer revealed an iPad version to a select group of fans in a Nottingham pub. Few details are forthcoming as yet, but the app is shortly to enter beta, with pricing and release date to be announced early next year. The estimated arrival time for the iPad version is just "2012" right now.
farley3k wrote:

Coming to the iPad is 2012!

At the recent Gamecity festival in the UK, Paul Taylor from the developer revealed an iPad version to a select group of fans in a Nottingham pub. Few details are forthcoming as yet, but the app is shortly to enter beta, with pricing and release date to be announced early next year. The estimated arrival time for the iPad version is just "2012" right now.

I know the interface would be more difficult but I wish they would port it to the iPhone too!

Steam group invites caught up for those who requested them, I think.

If I missed you, PM me!

Sorry to all whose games I never finished. Things got a bit crazy. I've started new games and sent them out to a few if anyone is still interested in playing. If not, I will consider myself properly shunned.

BTW< Can I get added to the Steam group? Not sure if I am providing the right URL. http://steamcommunity.com/id/darthb0b0/

I got this from the humble bundle pack and it is a cool-sauce game. The only small gripe I have so far are some of the starting randomized locations are ridiculously disadvantageous. I've spawned with my snipers next to enemy shotgunners.

mooosicle wrote:

The only small gripe I have so far are some of the starting randomized locations are ridiculously disadvantageous. I've spawned with my snipers next to enemy shotgunners.

Yeah it can suck sometimes, but honestly, I haven't had that happen too frequently. A bigger problem with the MP has been that I've had a couple of matches come up so that all we can see are friendly guys, there are no enemies around, IIRC.

Nice postmortem of this game here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...

I'm reviving this thread to ask for help. I'm playing through the single-player campaign, and am stuck at the first mission that has enemies with rocket launchers -- which is embarrassingly early in said campaign.

I've tried spreading my units out so that rockets can't take too many out at once, I've tried just pushing toward the mission objective as fast as possible, and I keep dying.

What am I missing?

Well rockets detonate against walls. Try standing out in the open and gunning them down when they pop up.
--
TAZ

Yeah, I believe you actually can't be hit by rockets if you're in the open. Had a couple of multiplayer matches end up in hilarious standoffs that way.

zircher wrote:

Well rockets detonate against walls. Try standing out in the open and gunning them down when they pop up.

You can shoot them down? I had no idea. Does that require a focus order, or how should I do it?

misplacedbravado wrote:
zircher wrote:

Well rockets detonate against walls. Try standing out in the open and gunning them down when they pop up.

You can shoot them down? I had no idea. Does that require a focus order, or how should I do it?

He meant gunning down the rocketeers, not the rockets.

Yes, although shooting rockets in midflight would be cool.
--
TAZ

I really must play this again. I put about 60 hours into multi player. Least I should do is finish the single player. Good thread revive!

Grumpicus wrote:

He meant gunning down the rocketeers, not the rockets.

Ah. Yeah, that'd work great if I could manage it.

Frozen Synapse makes me feel stupid in a way that very few games have. But not in a frustrating way, or at least not too frustrating yet.

BlackSabre wrote:

I really must play this again. I put about 60 hours into multi player. Least I should do is finish the single player. Good thread revive! :)

Ditto. Definitely back on the to-do pile.

So who is up for a challenge? I'm rusty and need some good matches to get me back into the swing of things. If you haven't got me already, my Frozen Synapse id is BlackSabre (case sensitive).

So, they've released some tasty new DLC... new unit and a change in colour scheme...

I'm actually tempted to grab it. I've been playing the odd match or two lately and here is hoping that this new DLC brings back some people and gets some new ones. So, who want's a game?

Oh neat, I'll have to pick that up. I didn't play nearly enough of this game on release, I might need to give it another try.

If new people want to jump into the Steam group, what with the DLC release and all, it's easiest to PM me so I don't miss the request!

Man, I was hoping the thread bump was for news related to the ipad release. Am disappoint.

I'm definitely going to be picking this up. If anyone is on teh fence about picking up the new DLC, let me know and I can challenge you to a couple games. If I read their press release correctly, people without the DLC and play with people with the DLC and actually get all ("most"?) of the features of the DLC. I guess it kind of acts like a demo for them.

Duffman wrote:

Man, I was hoping the thread bump was for news related to the ipad release. Am disappoint.

+1

Tkyl wrote:

I'm definitely going to be picking this up. If anyone is on teh fence about picking up the new DLC, let me know and I can challenge you to a couple games. If I read their press release correctly, people without the DLC and play with people with the DLC and actually get all ("most"?) of the features of the DLC. I guess it kind of acts like a demo for them.

Got your challenge, but I've got 10 mins before I have to leave for work.... and I'm downloading the Red DLC. I'll have to play it tonight.

BlackSabre wrote:
Tkyl wrote:

I'm definitely going to be picking this up. If anyone is on teh fence about picking up the new DLC, let me know and I can challenge you to a couple games. If I read their press release correctly, people without the DLC and play with people with the DLC and actually get all ("most"?) of the features of the DLC. I guess it kind of acts like a demo for them.

Got your challenge, but I've got 10 mins before I have to leave for work.... and I'm downloading the Red DLC. I'll have to play it tonight.

Take your time. One of the great things about FS is that you can play your turn whenever you're able.

So what server are people playing on these days? Is it down to UK1 and Texas? I stopped playing a little bit after the original release when it got really confusing to know what server to find people on. Looks like UK1 has more people on but most of my friends list is still on Texas.

Really wish they'd get rid of that and just have one server.

Anyway, I picked up Red and I'm ready to dive back into this game big time. Forgot how much I love it.