WOW: Mists of Pandaria

According to MMO Champion, Blizzard has registered Mists of Pandaria as a trademark. Could this be the next expansion to WOW? Doubt it with the same reasons las before against a playable panda race, but with a read.

I don't want to poo poo WoW if that's your game, but geez. If that's becoming the next race, Blizzard isn't exactly enticing my 40 year old demographic to come back.

Running Man wrote:

I don't want to poo poo WoW if that's your game, but geez. If that's becoming the next race, Blizzard isn't exactly enticing my 40 year old demographic to come back.

I don't want to poo poo your demographic, but I hardly think Blizzard's focus lies on a generation which possesses an actual attention span.

I think its a perfect time for them to make pandarians a race. After all the years old joking and speculation I think the return would be much higher than if it was completely original.

I won't play it, but still i think many people will at least come back for a month to see the long joked about pandarians.

Running Man wrote:

I don't want to poo poo WoW if that's your game, but geez. If that's becoming the next race, Blizzard isn't exactly enticing my 40 year old demographic to come back.

I don't see the Pandarians as any more or less silly than any of the other races.

If they make a Pandaran brewmaster or drunken master heroic class I'll have to give that a whirl. If it's just Pandarans with no new class... meh.

Frankly, a new class would go a long way to giving a temporary boost to the gameplay.

I'd laugh if it was just a standard expansion, with just a new hero class as a novelty, one ability which is to throw beer at everything.

No one thinks this might be related more to that new MMO project they are working on?

I doubt that this has anything to do with TITAN. So far, it has been described as "cool, new and different" and a new IP, so why would they want to carry over a purely Warcraft-centric running gag?

It's just as likely that it's the next card game expansion, or just some giant red herring designed to spawn hilarious speculation threads on forums across the internet.

Scratched wrote:

I'd laugh if it was just a standard expansion, with just a new hero class as a novelty, one ability which is to throw beer at everything.

Seriously, I'd play that specifically for the PVP possibilities.

zeroKFE wrote:

It's just as likely that it's the next card game expansion, or just some giant red herring designed to spawn hilarious speculation threads on forums across the internet. :P

Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; downloadable electronic games via the internet and wireless devices; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

Apparently anthropomorphic pandas are against the law in China. Blizzard already has enough trouble revamping the undead for acceptance in China, so I really cannot see them basing an entire expansion around a theme that wouldn't be allowed in their largest market.

Edit: After re-reading my source, it's not the panda being anthropomorphic but rather that you cannot depict the death of one. Either way, same problem.

Elycion wrote:

Apparently anthropomorphic pandas are against the law in China. Blizzard already has enough trouble revamping the undead for acceptance in China, so I really cannot see them basing an entire expansion around a theme that wouldn't be allowed in their largest market.

o.O

What the hell would they outlaw that for?

Elycion wrote:

Apparently anthropomorphic pandas are against the law in China.

This is actually untrue, a myth that got stuck in the echo chamber.

Similar to that list of "future zones" I posted over at the other place is a fake.

(and even if it were true, remember that skeletons are also "illegal" in China.)

Rallick wrote:
Elycion wrote:

Apparently anthropomorphic pandas are against the law in China. Blizzard already has enough trouble revamping the undead for acceptance in China, so I really cannot see them basing an entire expansion around a theme that wouldn't be allowed in their largest market.

o.O

What the hell would they outlaw that for?

China's government is dicks.

Pandarens = teh awesome!

Luggage wrote:
Running Man wrote:

I don't want to poo poo WoW if that's your game, but geez. If that's becoming the next race, Blizzard isn't exactly enticing my 40 year old demographic to come back.

I don't want to poo poo your demographic, but I hardly think Blizzard's focus lies on a generation which possesses an actual attention span. ;)

If this is true, it is basically Blizzard capitalizing on the success of Kung Fu Panda.

Naw, the Pandaren thing has been around since Warcraft 3. If anything, Pixar ripped that off.

Some folks (i.e. Wowhead) are suggesting that "mists" refer to Vrykul. I wouldn't mind seeing them making another appearance.

Vector wrote:
Rallick wrote:
Elycion wrote:

Apparently anthropomorphic pandas are against the law in China. Blizzard already has enough trouble revamping the undead for acceptance in China, so I really cannot see them basing an entire expansion around a theme that wouldn't be allowed in their largest market.

o.O

What the hell would they outlaw that for?

China's government is dicks.

It will be our government soon, so don't hate on the chinaman!

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point if they added Pandaren in the next expansion. They already went the fan-favourite route in Cata by adding Goblins and Worgen, and while I'm not part of the "OMG WoW is dying!" crowd, it does seem to be winding down (something like 900k lost subscriptions this year, Blizzard acknowledging that they've been moving development resources over to Titan). Adding in Pandaren could give the game a nice little subscriber boost before they start seriously shifting their focus over to Titan.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but Titan has been in development for ages already and it wouldn't surprise me if at release, has a development time similar to WoW (around 5 years). Jeff 'Tigole' Kaplan left WoW years ago and engaged stealth mode to work on Titan.

AnimeJ wrote:

Naw, the Pandaren thing has been around since Warcraft 3. If anything, Pixar ripped that off.

It's true that Cars was very similar to the Burning Crusade in terms of plot but I wouldn't call it ripping off.

Vector wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Naw, the Pandaren thing has been around since Warcraft 3. If anything, Pixar ripped that off.

It's true that Cars was very similar to the Burning Crusade in terms of plot but I wouldn't call it ripping off.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/Drt44.jpg)

I think the guys at The Instance have the right of it. I can see it being a patch, but not an expansion. No new playable race or class, just a new bunch of dailies / 5-mans / raid(s) to save the Pandaren people from Deathwing or something.

The next expansion will be a radically changing of classes and some core gameplay.. And I would bet we might finally even see the real Hero Classes.

The next expansion will be a radically changing of classes and some core gameplay.. And I would bet we might finally even see the real Hero Classes.

Again? They just did that sans the real hero classes in Cataclysm. If they are going that direction, they should at least let you keep playing the classes as they stand and add the revamp as additional classes.

If they are going to reveal the Real Hero Classes (tm) are they going to start them at level 55 again? Or maybe they will make new lands (emerald dream?) for them to fight in so that they don't have to neuter them because they break existing content.

edit: oh and while we are at it, increase health regen when not being hit and get rid of healers!

fangblackbone wrote:

edit: oh and while we are at it, increase health regen when not being hit and get rid of healers!

I can totally see them doing this. All instances will be filled with randomly placed waist-high cover objects you can hide behind while your health regenerates, and in the event you get knocked down a group member can come pick you back up.

Gears of Warcraft, it's coming!

Elycion wrote:

Gears of Warcraft, it's coming!

/coletrain