NCAA Football 2011 Season Catch-All

A Nate Silver article on conference realignment and TV markets?

Yes please

The BCS rules say that there can be no fewer than 5 and no more than 7 automatic qualifiers.

A "superconference" still only gets 1 AQ.

TCU is supposed to move to the Big East, but now there's questions if there will even be a Big East to move to.

And if they stay put, a Mountain West Conference with Boise and TCU would seemingly be a front-runner to take a vacated AQ spot, no?

*Legion* wrote:
The BCS rules say that there can be no fewer than 5 and no more than 7 automatic qualifiers.

Superconferences still only get 1 AQ.

TCU is supposed to move to the Big East, but now there's questions if there will even be a Big East to move to.

And if they stay put, a Mountain West Conference with Boise and TCU would seemingly be a front-runner to take a vacated AQ spot, no?

I always thought they should stay put. If BYU ever came to their senses and realized that being independent did them no real favors that could be a pretty damn good AQ conference.

*Legion* wrote:
The BCS rules say that there can be no fewer than 5 and no more than 7 automatic qualifiers.

A "superconference" still only gets 1 AQ.

TCU is supposed to move to the Big East, but now there's questions if there will even be a Big East to move to.

And if they stay put, a Mountain West Conference with Boise and TCU would seemingly be a front-runner to take a vacated AQ spot, no?

They will rewrite those rules lickity-split.

DSGamer wrote:
I always thought they should stay put. If BYU ever came to their senses and realized that being independent did them no real favors that could be a pretty damn good AQ conference.

This article was published before the Big East started losing members: Does MWC deserve a BCS spot over Big East?

The numbers aren't on the Big East's side, and that'll only get worse now. Of course, the MWC gets to count TCU for now. But TCU moving from MWC to Big East would seem to be jumping onto a sinking ship, not off of one.

OU and tu have given their presidents the authority to handle realignment.

OU's Boren said a couple of interesting things. He basically said the Longhorn Network pissed him off, and he said that threats of lawsuits are no way to keep a conference together.

Suck it, Baylor!

Badferret wrote:
*Legion* wrote:
The BCS rules say that there can be no fewer than 5 and no more than 7 automatic qualifiers.

A "superconference" still only gets 1 AQ.

TCU is supposed to move to the Big East, but now there's questions if there will even be a Big East to move to.

And if they stay put, a Mountain West Conference with Boise and TCU would seemingly be a front-runner to take a vacated AQ spot, no?

They will rewrite those rules lickity-split.

Probably, but that is begging for a lawsuit. And everyone involved seems more interested in TV contracts than AQ bids.

By the way, has anyone heard from Jayhawker since Saturday, or has he gone over the deep end after Kansas v. Georgia Tech? I feel his pain...

firesloth wrote:
By the way, has anyone heard from Jayhawker since Saturday, or has he gone over the deep end after Kansas v. Georgia Tech? I feel his pain...

Yeah, I've been around. Seriously, how does one give up 600 yards rushing in one game?

Jayhawker wrote:
firesloth wrote:
By the way, has anyone heard from Jayhawker since Saturday, or has he gone over the deep end after Kansas v. Georgia Tech? I feel his pain...

Yeah, I've been around. Seriously, how does one give up 600 yards rushing in one game?

Apparently Georgia Tech is now Nebraska circa 80s/90s.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/59/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

Ouch. Their QB has a 334 QB Rating and they have a couple of players averaging 20 yards per carry.

Wake me up when they beat someone with a pulse.

Does Saban always look manic in the press conferences? Guy is nervous. I'm nervous too, but the Alabama/Arkansas is probably going to be the best game this weekend. Win or lose I'll be drunk so it's ok.

firesloth wrote:
By the way, has anyone heard from Jayhawker since Saturday, or has he gone over the deep end after Kansas v. Georgia Tech? I feel his pain...

I assumed he was busy writing nasty things about Texas, TT, OU, and OSU.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
firesloth wrote:
By the way, has anyone heard from Jayhawker since Saturday, or has he gone over the deep end after Kansas v. Georgia Tech? I feel his pain...

I assumed he was busy writing nasty things about Texas, TT, OU, and OSU. :razz:

Nah, it was just A&M acting like babies. Everybody else is reacting to the mess A&M caused after committing to the Big 12 last year.

Of course, of course. Texas has no culpability whatsoever, it's big bad A&M's fault.

MyBrainHz wrote:
Of course, of course. Texas has no culpability whatsoever, it's big bad A&M's fault. :)

That's just the issue, isn't it? A&M, and most of the other schools did not appreciate Texas becoming the Yankees of the Big 12. And the Big 12 not forcing everyone to share revenues equally is a problem. But it was a problem last year when A&M, and everyone else committed to the Big 12. I could respect A&M's convictions if they would have done something about it last year.

So while Schools like Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou didn't like the situation, they began the process of trying to form beter TV deals for themselves, A&M took their ball and went home.

It's clear it is all about the money. But for some reason when Baylor acted in their own interest, filing a lawsuit, they were being selfish brats. But all A&M had to do was pay the schools for the right to leave free and clear. Because it is all about the money for everyone else, too. But A&M wants some sort of Humanitarian Award for running away and joining a dominant but sleazy conference. Any lawsuit can be settled if you just pay the price. But A&M found out that the SEC wasn't THAT into them.

I could respect A&M's convictions if they would have done something about it last year

Last year, A&M was committed to the conference. The problem is that Texas was dishonest about its intentions and lied to the other members of the conference about its network deal. Why should A&M (or any other members of the conference) put up with that? The situation obviously changed.

Jayhawker wrote:
It's clear it is all about the money. But for some reason when Baylor acted in their own interest, filing a lawsuit, they were being selfish brats. But all A&M had to do was pay the schools for the right to leave free and clear. Because it is all about the money for everyone else, too. But A&M wants some sort of Humanitarian Award for running away and joining a dominant but sleazy conference. Any lawsuit can be settled if you just pay the price. But A&M found out that the SEC wasn't THAT into them.

Suffice it to say that you don't have your facts straight here on a number of fronts.

1) Baylor hasn't a filed a lawsuit. They threatened to, but they ultimately won't but they have no grounds and very possibly no standing.
2) A&M has always had every intention of agreeing to withholding of its conference distribution, just like Nebraska and Colorado did. This would have already happened if not for Baylor freaking out.
3) The SEC is and has been interested in A&M for over 20 years, the problem is that A&M's weak leadership in the past would not allow for a break from the other Texas schools. The SEC has extended an offer, and A&M will announce this week that they're taking it.

Being pissed at A&M about this mess is silly. If anything, you should be glad that what ever happens, you'll end up in a different conference from Texas, which is ultimately better in the long run for KU. Don't be mad at A&M for leading the charge in breaking up this sh*tty conference when it actually works to your advantage.

MyBrainHz wrote:
Being pissed at A&M about this mess is silly. If anything, you should be glad that what ever happens, you'll end up in a different conference from Texas, which is ultimately better in the long run for KU. Don't be mad at A&M for leading the charge in breaking up this sh*tty conference when it actually works to your advantage.

I think you have confused me with someone that works for Kansas or the Big 12. How much money everyone makes is really something I could care less about. The Big 12 was a great conference because it had great teams and great competition. And it is doubtful that Kansas is going to end up in a better conference after all of this.

Maybe they will get really lucky and the Big 10 will take them and Missouri in. But I don't see it. The other options are now going to the east coast for the ACC or West coast for the PAC 12, which both sucks. The Big East at least had a division of schools close enough to matter, but they fell a part. And I find the SEC to be a sleazy and unappealing conference to be a part of.

In all likelihood, Kansas will be part of the Big Leftovers, adding teams from the big East and Big 12 to form a new, weaker conference. Excuse me while I don't have a bunch of kisses and hugs for A&M.

Jayhawker wrote:
Excuse me while I don't have a bunch of kisses and hugs for A&M.

Shrug. I am largely ambivalent towards KU myself. Just trying to set the record straight on some of what you said above.

The Mountain West is on the prowl for teams.

The idea of an AQ for the winner of a MWC vs. C-USA championship game is apparently being resurrected.

MyBrainHz wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:
Excuse me while I don't have a bunch of kisses and hugs for A&M.

Shrug. I am largely ambivalent towards KU myself. Just trying to set the record straight on some of what you said above.

Seriously. You are welcome to be pi$$ed, but you should get the story straight first if you want to have any kind of discussion. MBH has the facts, some of which I've also covered in this thread. For example, A&M's expectation was that it would need to pay exit fees, as per the Big 12 bylaws.

I think it's illuminating that the OU president, with one foot out the door, said nothing about A&M this week. He blamed Texas, and also said that Baylor's litigiousness isn't helping anything.

His name is David f*cking Boren.

I actually knew it was Boren; I've liked what's he's said lately.

Just read an article saying OU might stay in the Big 12 if Beebe is fired and strong rules are put in place for the LHN. What do you think?

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Just read an article saying OU might stay in the Big 12 if Beebe is fired and strong rules are put in place for the LHN. What do you think?

I think you assholes need to hurry up and blow up your conferences. Open up them AQ slots!

Legion - I think Texa$$ is trying to get The Citadel and Prairie View A&M to take our place and keep the conference's numbers up.

If we can get 4 mega conferences maybe the other conferences can play a playoff.

DSGamer wrote:
If we can get 4 mega conferences maybe the other conferences can play a playoff.

If we get four mega conferences, the other 4 can have a massive circle jerk as far as the BCS is concerned.

In all likelihood, the NCAA will cease to exist within five years. Most of this is a big tadoo over nothing.

I've seen a lot of people saying that about the NCAA; where is that coming from? As terrible as the the NCAA has been, the conferences aren't going to police themselves. I don't want Congress involved in realignment, but if the NCAA went away, I'd have to think Congress would get involved.

The concept of the student athlete is hanging by a thread, and while I blame the NCAA for that, I also think they're the only thing keeping even that one thread in place.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
I've seen a lot of people saying that about the NCAA; where is that coming from? As terrible as the the NCAA has been, the conferences aren't going to police themselves. I don't want Congress involved in realignment, but if the NCAA went away, I'd have to think Congress would get involved.

The concept of the student athlete is hanging by a thread, and while I blame the NCAA for that, I also think they're the only thing keeping even that one thread in place.

It was this article that has really got some people starting to say that the NCAA is the problem.

So when you hav the mothership posting an article calling for the end of the NCAA, we might to see some movement.

It's time: The death penalty for the NCAA

Until last week, it was possible to think of the NCAA as something other than a protection racket. No longer.

The extraordinary Taylor Branch cover story in the October issue of The Atlantic lays out in precise and killing inventory the mortal sins of the NCAA. Frank Deford called it "the most important article ever written about college sports." I'm sure you've heard about it by now. Please read it.

I agree with you completely, Jayhawker (mark the time and date). That's an excellent article. Both articles, actually. That was why I joked about the other conferences holding a playoff. Let the BCS teams become semi-pro clubs and let the rest of college continue. Not sure if it's possible after reading that article, though. I've said it before, but it really bums me out. I grew up with Nebraska playing in the Orange Bowl against Miami followed by a bunch of juniors and seniors playing NCAA basketball. It makes me sad, but the conclusion is right. There is no saving the NCAA.

I was at the Oregon / Missouri State game this Saturday. Keep in mind that Missouri State is a 1-AA stand-in for Utah because there Utah was on Oregon's schedule before moving into its conference. They couldn't play a non-conference game against a conference appointment. Plus Utah needed to be able to schedule BYU who went independent. Anyway, before the game the fans booed Missouri State as they entered the stadium. They booed a bunch of kids from a random 1-AA school for daring to enter Autzen and play the Ducks. That tells you all you need to know about how much the "student" part of student/athlete matters to most people.

People already see them simply as football teams. Not college kids playing football for their school.