Torchwood (No spoilers beyond what's aired.)

The Doctor Who thread is getting lousy with Torchwood talk. I could have sworn there was a thread for it back in the day but I can't find it. So this will have to do!

Before you post! There is no spoiler talk allowed for anything that hasn't aired outside of spoiler text boxes. A warning would also be nice. Teasers for next week DO NOT COUNT as non spoiler material. Everyone should feel safe reading the thread so please keep the rules in mind.

I am really enjoying the new episodes so far. It's interesting seeing the new team coming together. At least I figure that's whats happening. My guess so far is Gwen, Jack, the two CIA agents and the Doctor. Not that hard to put together I guess, seeing as they have all got the most screen time so far.

A little sad that Dachen Lichmann got her neck broken, but with the current story line she may just end up coming back anyways. Here's hoping!

The male agent may be part of the team for the rest of the season, but I doubt he'll survive after the Miracle Day event gets sorted, considering the giant hole in his chest and his shredded heart. I suspect another "literally dead guy walking" scenario, like what's-his-name from series 2.

I won't be able to watch it until it goes up on Netflix, but I might as well keep track of this thread until then.

Might want to clarify the air date for spoilers. Our friends across the Pond are strangely getting their episodes a week behind the US.

I will say Gwen having to finish both episodes with a Torchwood quote ("We're Torchwood!" / "Welcome to Torchwood.") was kind of annoying.

That said I'm enjoying it so far. Still not sure how Bill Pullman's character fits into the overall twisting plotline, but I'm willing to ride it out.

Spoiler:

One thought that occurs: They mentioned in Episode 2 that everyone was still aging slowly. Akin to ruhk's remark and with seemingly non-healing injuries, it makes me think of poor Owen's undead condition in series 2. I highly doubt they're going to bring him back in to the series though (outside of Captain Jack name dropping him as an FBI alias).

Another thing: I'm not sure I can agree with the limited resources issue. Sure if the world switched back to normal, there'd be an immediate problem. But if people can't die, why do they still need to eat? Hunger pains?

SaintFaucet wrote:

Another thing: I'm not sure I can agree with the limited resources issue. Sure if the world switched back to normal, there'd be an immediate problem. But if people can't die, why do they still need to eat? Hunger pains?

Because all the other biological processes seem to be functioning as usual. Aging still happens, cell death still occurs, you just can't actually die.

wikipedia article on starvation wrote:

All movements become painful due to muscle atrophy and dry, cracked skin that is caused by severe dehydration. With a weakened body, diseases are commonplace. Fungi, for example, often grow under the esophagus, making swallowing unbearably painful.

You'd be in terrible agony, unable to even move, forever.

tagged

SaintFaucet wrote:

Might want to clarify the air date for spoilers. Our friends across the Pond are strangely getting their episodes a week behind the US.

Yeah, we don't get it until Thursday nights. The Dr Who thread had a lot of UK posters, so perhaps spoiler tags should be used until Friday morning at least?

I'm cheating, in case that wasn't obvious.

So how long do you think it will be until people start turning to cannibalism?

In the series, I mean.

subscribed

Does Eve Myles show her dinners?

muttonchop wrote:
SaintFaucet wrote:

Another thing: I'm not sure I can agree with the limited resources issue. Sure if the world switched back to normal, there'd be an immediate problem. But if people can't die, why do they still need to eat? Hunger pains?

Because all the other biological processes seem to be functioning as usual. Aging still happens, cell death still occurs, you just can't actually die.

I think someone mentioned that cell death didn't occur any more?

ruhk wrote:

The male agent may be part of the team for the rest of the season, but I doubt he'll survive after the Miracle Day event gets sorted, considering the giant hole in his chest and his shredded heart. I suspect another "literally dead guy walking" scenario, like what's-his-name from series 2.

No, all that stuff was repaired during surgery. Now normally the damage would have been too extensive to fix it before he died, but clearly that was not a concern in his case.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
muttonchop wrote:
SaintFaucet wrote:

Another thing: I'm not sure I can agree with the limited resources issue. Sure if the world switched back to normal, there'd be an immediate problem. But if people can't die, why do they still need to eat? Hunger pains?

Because all the other biological processes seem to be functioning as usual. Aging still happens, cell death still occurs, you just can't actually die.

I think someone mentioned that cell death didn't occur any more?

No, one of the doctors said that Apoptosis was still occurring.

I was unaware that people in Europe were getting the episodes delayed, but if it's only a matter of them showing up later in the week, I think it would probably be best if you unfortunate souls just avoided the thread once the new episode was out here in the States. Most conversation happens shortly after the episodes air and that would quickly turn this thread into a spoiler tag fest. That's not very fun at all, and it would mean extra caution and consideration on those people posting to make sure future spoilers weren't accidentally mixed in with those of the episode past.

I know waiting sucks, but to me that just makes the most sense.

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Quintin_Stone wrote:

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Yeah, not sure what's going on there!

Gaald, is that not a bit inconsistent with the Who thread, which is a spoiler tag pile? Just because you lot are getting this one first!

spider_j wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Yeah, not sure what's going on there!

You didn't close your spoiler tag.

muttonchop wrote:
spider_j wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Yeah, not sure what's going on there!

You didn't close your spoiler tag.

Well, he closed with with a quote end tag.

spider_j wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Yeah, not sure what's going on there!

Gaald, is that not a bit inconsistent with the Who thread, which is a spoiler tag pile? Just because you lot are getting this one first! :)

I think the same should be done for the Dr. Who thread. Although I am not quite sure how far behind new episodes of that air in the U.S. i can see how difficult that may be if one group of people is always 1 episode behind. If I am not mistaken Torchwood is only a few days behind right?

Gaald wrote:

I think the same should be done for the Dr. Who thread. Although I am not quite sure how far behind new episodes of that air in the U.S. i can see how difficult that may be if one group of people is always 1 episode behind. If I am not mistaken Torchwood is only a few days behind right?

As I understand, it was a much longer delay for US viewers, pre-Series 6 Part 1. As far as this past run for Dr. Who, it's about a week, I believe? They were much more compatible until the storyline with the dopplegangers, and in the US there was a week's delay right around there.

I only know this since my sister provided us with...viewable copies.

SaintFaucet wrote:

I will say Gwen having to finish both episodes with a Torchwood quote ("We're Torchwood!" / "Welcome to Torchwood.") was kind of annoying.

Funny -- I think I had forgotten the previous week's end-line, so I just did an awesome air guitar riff each time...

SaintFaucet wrote:

That said I'm enjoying it so far. Still not sure how Bill Pullman's character fits into the overall twisting plotline, but I'm willing to ride it out.

Bill Pullman's going to be roped in due to Lauren "Super-Hotty" Ambrose's publicist. There were segments of the "upcoming" promos which showed

Spoiler:

Pullman leading a sort-of preacher-revival-style gathering, that I've no doubt the publicist is setting up, putting him firmly in the spotlight.

SaintFaucet wrote:

Spoilery stuff concerning details about the show's high concept.

And both concerning your spoiler-tagged stuff -- and other reactions to it -- I do think the rules they're establishing for the "miracle" are pretty simple: death itself stops.

There are all sorts of other, niggling elements of logicial dissonance, I suppose, if you start to wade deep into those waters, but it's essentially the MacGuffin buy-in, right? In order to enjoy the story they're going for, you need to accept that a) people, by and large, remain the same, save that b) everything that normally kills them simply doesn't.

So if that's the Big Ask, I'm willing to just accept it and go along. The scrutiny and skepticism same could be said for, say,

Spoiler:

Jack's immortality

, which I think (as stated in the show) so far seems to be the funhouse-mirror-version of whatever's going on with the arc.

Wow! Just finished watching episode 2 of 'Miracle Day', and I am agog. This has to be the worst paced tv show I have ever seen. An hour (give or take) in which - basically - nothing happens that couldn't have been dispensed with in 15 minutes of any other show. I haven't seen seen any numbers, but I'm willing to bet that this show is now shedding viewers like dogs shed fleas!

I'm reasonably certain that this is a show that's going to lose its current slot in both the US and the UK. RTD has - as the Peter Principal predicts - reached the limit of his incompetence...

A great opportunity squandered.

Edit: Thanks RSPaulette for directing me here!

The BBC are editing episode 3 for 2 reasons.

Spoiler:

Firstly, to remove a scene that is too "disturbing" for our delicate sensibilities. Now, I thought that this was a post watershed adult programme, but there you go. I wonder what is so disturbing that it beats the bombed man in episode 1.

Secondly, Jack gets off with a barman and and bares his behind. Again, post watershed, adult. The BBC has a remit concerning homosexuality, so I am surprised that this is being censored. Bare male and female bodies aren't exactly rare post watershed. It is probably more to do with Barrowman being a flagship prime time entertainer on the BBC every Saturday, frankly. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to see Barrowman's arse!

On a side note, I told my wife about this, and she said "well, I'm not surprised!" I asked what she meant, and she said "Well, he's not gay, is he? Just because Captain Jack is bi, not everyone is!" I asked how she knew, since we haven't seen this barman yet, and she replied "A barman? I thought that you were talking about Obama!"

muttonchop wrote:
spider_j wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

OBJECTION! spider_j broke the page formatting!

Yeah, not sure what's going on there!

You didn't close your spoiler tag.

Thanks, fixed now!

This week's episode was an improvement. A lot more went on, a couple of partial revelations.

So I got through episodes 1 and 2 during breakfast today. Gotta say, not good. I really enjoyed Children of Earth. And to say this last season of Dr. Who was good is an understatement.

The soul is not there. The writers seem to be unable to decide if the show is being re-booted or if it is being continued. I am not getting the grit, the drama. I know why I should care about certain events, like what is happening to Jack...but I don't.

Simply put, it is my 4th choice for a summer series. And I really only have time for three.

I've just watched this weeks episode, and it was fantastic. The plot, writing pace and direction are so much better than the preceding episodes.

Only one issue:

Spoiler:

People wouldn't just forgive Danes. Whatever weirdness is going on in the world, nothing trumps psychotic pedophile murder.

The way in which the Tea Party woman was disposed of was truly grim.

KingGorilla, that must have been a huge breakfast!

Just watched the 4th episode and I continue to enjoy it. I didn't know they were sticking to one storyline this season but I like it.

spider_j wrote:

I've just watched this weeks episode, and it was fantastic. The plot, writing pace and direction are so much better than the preceding episodes.

Only one issue:

Spoiler:

People wouldn't just forgive Danes. Whatever weirdness is going on in the world, nothing trumps psychotic pedophile murder.

The way in which the Tea Party woman was disposed of was truly grim.

KingGorilla, that must have been a huge breakfast!

This weeks' episode had a whole lot less of a moving-chess-pieces-in-place vibe, and a whole lot more of a tangible, discernible goal. Compare to this point in Children of Earth's narrative, which had established a firm antagonist, and a very real threat coming Torchwood's way. The beginning status quo (or lack thereof) really painted them into a corner, logistically speaking, and it definitely feels like the pieces are falling into place.

I also recall Davies saying something about

Spoiler:

episode five spilling the beans on the nature of the Miracle, and some of the previews to next week seem to confirm such.

Also, spider:

Spoiler:

Totally agreed on the Danes-being-accepted stuff. They keep hanging a lantern on it -- the old man calling him out in the plague hospital; Lauren Ambrose inspiring him in one scene, reviling him in the next. You know as well as I do that I'm usually pollyanna, but something about that just ain't sitting right with me -- and a lot of it might be his true colors shown to Harkness in last week's episode; it was one thing when he seemed (possibly) redemptive, that it's possible the audience might could possibly carry some sympathy for the motherf*cker; it's totally another when the scene with Jack pretty much confirms he's the devil incarnate.

Also: the thing with the "Tea Party," as you called her, was pretty screwed up.

The pedigree on the writing staff is interesting to me -- last week was Jane Espenson, late of Buffy/Firefly and Battlestar re-imagined; this week was co-scripted by John Shiban, of X-Files and Breaking Bad fame. TV writers crop up in all sorts of interesting places.

EDITED TO ADD:

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Just watched the 4th episode and I continue to enjoy it. I didn't know they were sticking to one storyline this season but I like it.

Davies has said that it was a lesson-learned from Children of Earth, and it does seem like the focus helps the show and its world, particularly with where the status quo has been since the end of series 2 proper.

If anyone hasn't watched any episodes yet, I found them for free (online streaming) through clicker.com. The first episode you have to watch on starz (and install a browser plugin). Episodes 2-4 are free if you are a comcast & starz subscriber.

Started watching it today, believing it was a 5 episode run. Oh was I disappointed...
At least it somewhat explained the very slow pacing in parts of the first 3 episodes.

Seems everyone has given up on this Season. Episode 7 and 8 have seemed to get interesting finally. It's too bad it took 6 episodes to get there.

I'm still enjoying it. I just haven't been blown away by it as much as Dr. Who for example.

It definitely took much too long to get going though. So much of the preamble could have been done in like 1 episode.

I'm still watching it every week. There have been some good episodes, to be sure. I did not like 7 much though; it just seemed a bit clumsy to me. 8 is better. I'm not sure why they are drafting in Star Trek stars though!