Dungeons of Dredmor

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Getting your eyebrows means you are a real man. You will be able to pull guitars from your head and fight alien monsters as long as you have the eyebrows.

This man knows of what he speaks. Now where did I leave my Rickenbacker at...

I have a rogue/tinker/crossbow guy. Cleared level one without a problem, even when I found the 15-20 bats. But I go to level 2 and...damn I die in every direction. Sure I did find the monster Zoo (wholy freaking sh*t batman), but even just regular rooms have like 2 deaths and a zomby. Do I need to switch to a tank character? Go smithing and hps/str? Cause even though I had a ton of traps to lay down, and crossbow bolts and all that...BAM. Dead. A lot.

I'm loving the latest update. Monsters getting ranged attacks and spells goes a long way towards making them more than reskinned zombies, and the balance tweaks are well-thought out. If they keep updating like this, the game will be great in a couple of months.

Roo, be sure to use your potions, mushrooms, etc to keep yourself alive. Flee if you need to. And make sure you are updating your skills usefully for combat.

@Roo: And if you want to, Golemancy and Mycology both give you pet summons for their first skill (that is, the first one you spend a level on) that work great as tanks. Golemancy's costs 28 mana, Mycology just has a cooldown of 60 turns.

And obviously, don't forget weapon upgrades and the like.

7inchsplit wrote:

@Roo: And if you want to, Golemancy and Mycology both give you pet summons for their first skill (that is, the first one you spend a level on) that work great as tanks. Golemancy's costs 28 mana, Mycology just has a cooldown of 60 turns.

I had upgraded both crossbow and the...whatever goes with it for hitting well. But pets! That's what I need. I haven't wanted to look at a wiki to see all the skills and such. Maybe I should just turn perma death on and try each magic field, since i actually only have tried the psionic one...

thanks for the tips.

Roo wrote:
7inchsplit wrote:

@Roo: And if you want to, Golemancy and Mycology both give you pet summons for their first skill (that is, the first one you spend a level on) that work great as tanks. Golemancy's costs 28 mana, Mycology just has a cooldown of 60 turns.

I had upgraded both crossbow and the...whatever goes with it for hitting well. But pets! That's what I need. I haven't wanted to look at a wiki to see all the skills and such. Maybe I should just turn perma death on and try each magic field, since i actually only have tried the psionic one...

thanks for the tips.

I've been running perma-death+no wiki and it's been fun trying out all of the skills. Having a summoned beastie makes life a lot easier. One tip that may save your bacon on levels 4+ - There's a water monster you can meet called Eely who sits in the water, and takes a nip at you as you go past. THEY CAN STACK IN ONE TILE. I was feeling big in my britches, when I waltzed by, prepared to take my 8-10 damage (They'd sampled my flesh before) and pass on by. All four hit me for 8-10 each, and I collapsed in a puddle of my own vile fluids.

A lots of changes coming up in the next patch; sadly I don't think the UI scaling is making it in there yet.

My first encounter with Dredmor ended in failure.

I was rather disconcerted to find him taking little damage from 4 bolts of mass destruction (impact OR post AoE).

I didn't get to do anything to him after that, he smooshed me from a distance.

Better luck next time!

You can make the map bigger by pressing the button on it.

Hi. My name is 7inchsplit, and I am a Mycology addict.

subscribed

Promethian magic is recommended if you want to clear monster zoos with great speed. Set up a few pillars of fire to block the exits then fireball to your heart's desire. The result is only a few missing drinks and a carpet of blood.

Still have yet to beat dredmor yet though. Farthest I've gotten is level 5 with around 100k score. Soon I will heroically vandalize his face.

I must have missed something obvious; is there a way to scroll back to old console messages?

I couldn't find one but I haven't looked very hard. Took me a very long time to figure out I could make the map bigger.

Cobble wrote:

My first game i started was in that initial room with locked doors on ever side and no lockpicks... ho hum. A restart was way better but still...

Dungeon generation seems a bit weak compared to some of the roguelikes I've played, but the game's a lot of fun so far. I'm trying variants on a full mage right now. Golemancy makes things pretty easy, though the pathing is a bit rudimentary at times and I find myself circling back to find my stuck/lost golem. They do seem to be patching the hell out of the game though, so I'm hoping that they'll catch up to some of the other roguelikes in areas where they're lacking. Good find for 5 bucks.

So. I've been secretly skimming this thread for a while. Has anyone here played something like the indie Avernum series?

Cause that's about as difficult of a RPG game I've played without going slightly bonkers. Using that as a reference, how difficult is DoD? Does it make Baldur's Gate look like a baby game?

You're thinking about it wrong, Moosicle. There's no story. You go down in the ground and kill monsters. Along the way, you learn skills in your chosen paths, one skill per level, and you find weapons and armor and food and such. You can get the occasional "kill foozle" or "break this thing" or "bring It back to That" quest. And then you die. Once. Permanently.

That's it. Extremely simple mechanics. It's not really an RPG as you only have one role to play - Hero. Well, eventually, Dead Hero. But that's it.

On evilseed's recommendation I'm watching giantbomb's "Quick Look" segment into the game. I'm not so sure what to think of it yet.

I'm just hoping that the love for it isn't caused by major nostalgia or something. Like I have nostalgia for those SNES beat them ups (streets of rage), but a new gamer would probably think it was sort of lame.

DoD feels a lot like a simplified permutation of Nethack, if that helps. Because of the simplified rules and interface the game isn't as brutally tactical as most roguelikes, but it's still a very pure dungeon crawl experience. I keep feeling like I want to put it down and go play one of the older ASCII-based games but then I find myself still playing 30 minutes later. I'm not sure how deep the bad guy is, but I get the feeling that a win in DoD will require a lot less time than Nethack or ZAngband (Rogue, by comparison, can be completed fairly quickly).

mooosicle wrote:

On evilseed's recommendation I'm watching giantbomb's "Quick Look" segment into the game. I'm not so sure what to think of it yet.

I'm just hoping that the love for it isn't caused by major nostalgia or something. Like I have nostalgia for those SNES beat them ups (streets of rage), but a new gamer would probably think it was sort of lame.

Totalbiscuit's video that was linked to upthread is pretty good at giving you an idea of what it's about, too.

complexmath wrote:

DoD feels a lot like a simplified permutation of Nethack, if that helps. Because of the simplified rules and interface the game isn't as brutally tactical as most roguelikes, but it's still a very pure dungeon crawl experience. I keep feeling like I want to put it down and go play one of the older ASCII-based games but then I find myself still playing 30 minutes later. I'm not sure how deep the bad guy is, but I get the feeling that a win in DoD will require a lot less time than Nethack or ZAngband (Rogue, by comparison, can be completed fairly quickly).

I doubt mooosicle has the foggiest notion of what you are talking about

mooosicle, roguelikes are experiential rather than story-driven. There's a goal (kill the foozle, usually, certainly that's the case with DoD), but it's really about just playing with builds, killing monsters, dying, and going again. It's about seeing how far you make it, how skillfully you play, how you use your skills and things you find in the dungeon, and, yes, how lucky you are. Getting to the end is not really the point of one of these games.

mooosicle wrote:

So. I've been secretly skimming this thread for a while. Has anyone here played something like the indie Avernum series?
Cause that's about as difficult of a RPG game I've played without going slightly bonkers. Using that as a reference, how difficult is DoD? Does it make Baldur's Gate look like a baby game?

To add to what others have said, it has a few things going for it that are pretty rare in the rogue-like genre.
1) You can disable permadeath if you just want to beat the game (not really recommended, as a lot of the fun is discovering all of the items and skills and monsters. That said, it does have a goal, albeit a not-that-well-fleshed-out one; one of the reasons I decided to check it out. You can actually BEAT THE GAME if you just want to get it off of the pile, not just play in a nearly-never-ending series of increasingly difficult levels with no real chance to see the end without a constant IV-wiki-drip and heaps of luck.)
2) Humor and lots of flavor text. I always become sad when items have just the barest-bones presentation; nothing but a boring run-down of stats without anything tasty. Every item/monster/skill in this game has a description that actually appears to have been written by a human with a soul, instead of some terrifying data-crazed robotic overlord. This is also very important to me, and another reason I decided to give the game a try.
3) Posters. With text on them. That you can read, insulting you and lamenting the destruction and death you're bringing to the dungeon.

Sonicator wrote:
mooosicle wrote:

On evilseed's recommendation I'm watching giantbomb's "Quick Look" segment into the game. I'm not so sure what to think of it yet.

I'm just hoping that the love for it isn't caused by major nostalgia or something. Like I have nostalgia for those SNES beat them ups (streets of rage), but a new gamer would probably think it was sort of lame.

Totalbiscuit's video that was linked to upthread is pretty good at giving you an idea of what it's about, too.

I posted it pages and pages ago, so:

And mooo, I swear I said this earlier in the thread, or perhaps in IRC, but roguelikes are the type of game you need to play to know if they're for you or not. They're basically all about mechanics and gameplay and if they don't jive for you, then they just don't work. DoD works for a broader audience because of the humor and graphics (as opposed to ASCII or low-res tilesets), but at its core it's about the gameplay. Nostalgia doesn't really factor much into the pure joy of killing things.

I am not good at this game. I died two steps outside of the first room.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I am not good at this game. I died two steps outside of the first room.

Hell, I've died two steps into the first room. Just part of the roguelike heritage.

Wow, I think TotalBiscuit just sold me on this game. His humor in explaining what is going on is amazing!

garion333 wrote:
Sonicator wrote:
mooosicle wrote:

On evilseed's recommendation I'm watching giantbomb's "Quick Look" segment into the game. I'm not so sure what to think of it yet.

I'm just hoping that the love for it isn't caused by major nostalgia or something. Like I have nostalgia for those SNES beat them ups (streets of rage), but a new gamer would probably think it was sort of lame.

Totalbiscuit's video that was linked to upthread is pretty good at giving you an idea of what it's about, too.

And mooo, I swear I said this earlier in the thread, or perhaps in IRC, but roguelikes are the type of game you need to play to know if they're for you or not. They're basically all about mechanics and gameplay and if they don't jive for you, then they just don't work. DoD works for a broader audience because of the humor and graphics (as opposed to ASCII or low-res tilesets), but at its core it's about the gameplay. Nostalgia doesn't really factor much into the pure joy of killing things.

Moo, there is a well worn phrase that applies here: "sh*t, or get off the pot." It's only five dollars at full price, and won't take more than an hour to decide if it's for you or not. Like everyone has said, the game is not about a long-term story and playing it like it is will end in disappointment. It's about the surprise and reward of moment to moment events, kicking ass by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked when you least expect it.

imbiginjapan wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Sonicator wrote:
mooosicle wrote:

On evilseed's recommendation I'm watching giantbomb's "Quick Look" segment into the game. I'm not so sure what to think of it yet.

I'm just hoping that the love for it isn't caused by major nostalgia or something. Like I have nostalgia for those SNES beat them ups (streets of rage), but a new gamer would probably think it was sort of lame.

Totalbiscuit's video that was linked to upthread is pretty good at giving you an idea of what it's about, too.

And mooo, I swear I said this earlier in the thread, or perhaps in IRC, but roguelikes are the type of game you need to play to know if they're for you or not. They're basically all about mechanics and gameplay and if they don't jive for you, then they just don't work. DoD works for a broader audience because of the humor and graphics (as opposed to ASCII or low-res tilesets), but at its core it's about the gameplay. Nostalgia doesn't really factor much into the pure joy of killing things.

Moo, there is a well worn phrase that applies here: "sh*t, or get off the pot." It's only five dollars at full price, and won't take more than an hour to decide if it's for you or not. Like everyone has said, the game is not about a long-term story and playing it like it is will end in disappointment. It's about the surprise and reward of moment to moment events, kicking ass by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked when you least expect it.

'Strue. Damn unexpected Diggles.

Ok this game is a work of genius. I've never been so lax about dying in a game. I've died multiple times to extremely stupid things (the greatest so far being me slamming the spacebar to heal up not realizing a creature had come up upon me and killed me) but am having a blast.

I decided it was time to take a break since I took the time to explore the entire first level only to be killed by the second mob on the next level. Whoops!

One thing that confuses me right now is the crafting. I'm not sure where to go with it as there are almost too many options. Still trying to wrap my head around everything.