Dungeons of Dredmor

I'm currently on Floor7, lvl 16, with a score of 288712.

Floor7 is kicking my butt.

And ^%%$#^#!@$% magic dragons!

^%$@^%$@-em right in the %$@#^%$!#!

Ok, that made me laugh out loud.

Spoiler:

I just picked up some armor that adds 'existential' damage. The tooltip goes on to note that it will now question its own existence.

Does anyone else feel that if you aren't playing with permadeath than making it to higher floors doesn't count? I can't bring myself to shut it off because my inner voice is telling me its not the way to play. Weird I know.

Cobble wrote:

Does anyone else feel that if you aren't playing with permadeath than making it to higher floors doesn't count? I can't bring myself to shut it off because my inner voice is telling me its not the way to play. Weird I know.

i haven't tried it without permadeath so far. How does it handle character death in that situation?

Fun game but I haven't made it out of level one

Baron the V
The Backstabber

The Dance of the Lord

on level 1
636

Killed by Lil Batty

Mostly been playing with random skills. The last game I designed a ninja that worked pretty well. Think I need to run more. Open a door that has ton of enemies behind is my main curse. I tried to be tricky in my last game by luring the bats to trap but they didn't trigger it because they were flying. All I did was manage to trap myself in a room full of bats.

Tyrian wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Does anyone else feel that if you aren't playing with permadeath than making it to higher floors doesn't count? I can't bring myself to shut it off because my inner voice is telling me its not the way to play. Weird I know.

i haven't tried it without permadeath so far. How does it handle character death in that situation?

Your character save is permanently deleted, so death=start new game.
EDIT: Oops, misread your comment. I'm curious about how non-permadeath works in the game as well.

If you have permadeath off and save your game the savegame doesn't automatically delete when you die after saving. But if you never save your game with permadeath off then it does you no good, at least that was my finding in the test non-permadeath that I found.

EDIT - Also there is a file here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\game\rooms.txt
that has the room shapes drawn in it, could allow for some custom room shapes.

Is there a way to get items off of the pedastals surrounded by water?

My Hiscore.txt so far:
Rand the Footman
3416
by a Sickly Diggle

Dahmer the Blood-drenched
1952
by losing all his health

Bordone the Footman
348
by the player

Schmegma the Adventurer
204
by a Lil Batty

Rook the Hunter
88
by a Batty

Dweezil the Footman
72
from a spell mine

Dahmer? Remind me to avoid slap and tickles you may be at.

Eezy_Bordone wrote:

Is there a way to get items off of the pedastals surrounded by water?

Only way I've found is teleport spells.

It's tough coming up with new names every time. I blame my TruTV.

I had the leaping skill with a char but it wasn't accurate enough to get me to the item, I'll look out for teleport.

I've not been keeping a notebook of recipes I've found, should I be?

tanstaafl wrote:
Eezy_Bordone wrote:

Is there a way to get items off of the pedastals surrounded by water?

Only way I've found is teleport spells.

I think there's a psychokinetic shove skill in the psionics tree; I wonder if that would work as well.

Eezy_Bordone wrote:

It's tough coming up with new names every time. I blame my TruTV.

I had the leaping skill with a char but it wasn't accurate enough to get me to the item, I'll look out for teleport.

I've not been keeping a notebook of recipes I've found, should I be?

I'm not sure it would help. There are multiple recipes with the same base ingredients (eg: iron boots = 2x iron ingot, rough iron sword = 2x iron ingots), and it doesn't seem to have a way to differentiate unless you 'load' the recipe from your existing book.

Recipes are a pain. I'm carrying around a TON of ingots, just-in-case I can make something awesome with them!

I'd love to see a separate mini-inventory for ammo & ingots. Just a one square inventory access icon next to the main hotbar that, when clicked, pops up 10 slots or so to dump crafting/ammo items into. With the ammo, with one arrow type is deleted, the next would automatically 'drop down' and become the preferred ammo type. I'm trying to play ranged only, but it's a bit of a hassle with so much space taken up with all of the different ammo types. Ammo variation is awesome, but a bit less awesome when cruelly barbed copper arrows/barbed copper arrows/copper arrows each take up an inventory slot.

I'm pleased that I seem to be getting better each death. I'm not that great at rogue-likes (I like to think that my refusal to read any wikis/guides contributes to that, though I may just be crappy at them) , though I do enjoy them. Here's my list of departed adventurers so far:

IMAGE(http://www.pucemoose.com/pics/progress.jpg)

My current character has just about finished level 3; that will mark the first time I've made it to level four.

Took 4 games to make it to level 4. 37515. The dual wielding swordmaster with bezerk and dodge is a pretty nice combo. I would have made it farther but I got a monster zoo where I was pinned against a wall. I still almost survived it too, only 4 critters left when they took me down.

Tyrian wrote:

I'm not sure it would help. There are multiple recipes with the same base ingredients (eg: iron boots = 2x iron ingot, rough iron sword = 2x iron ingots), and it doesn't seem to have a way to differentiate unless you 'load' the recipe from your existing book.

Recipes are a pain. I'm carrying around a TON of ingots, just-in-case I can make something awesome with them!

What's this recipe book you speak of?

Eezy_Bordone wrote:
Tyrian wrote:

I'm not sure it would help. There are multiple recipes with the same base ingredients (eg: iron boots = 2x iron ingot, rough iron sword = 2x iron ingots), and it doesn't seem to have a way to differentiate unless you 'load' the recipe from your existing book.

Recipes are a pain. I'm carrying around a TON of ingots, just-in-case I can make something awesome with them!

What's this recipe book you speak of?

If you're carrying a crafting station, you can open it by right clicking on it in your inventory. The resulting window has a 'recipe notebook' on it. Clicking that icon will open a new window in which you can scroll through the recipes you know.

What I've learned so far:
-Golemancy is ridiculously awesomely powerful
-Random teleport is also awesome*
-Playing with a rogue build is brutal

[size=10]*Fun guaranteed, survival not.[/size]

Finally made it to Level 3. The level art design made me laugh

Floor 10 is kicking my butt. Of course, it doesn't help that I found the Monster Zoo about 3 doors after entering the floor.

There are still 95 monsters in there, and I've killed 70+.

I'm out of food, healing potions, revive potions, etc. I have 4 bolts of mass destruction, but it's hard to get into a place where I can loose one without killing myself. This may be the end for Mister Biggles!

Renji wrote:

What I've learned so far:
-Golemancy is ridiculously awesomely powerful
-Random teleport is also awesome*
-Playing with a rogue build is brutal

[size=10]*Fun guaranteed, survival not.[/size]

100% agree. My most successful characters so far have had Golemancy and that random teleport from the math magic skill.

I've also had good luck with the wyrmtail pet in the Promethean branch; he does considerable damage, and he also damages everything around him when he's summoned which can be handy.

How do you sell stuff? i've clicked on the demon salesman and he just wants me to buy.

Pick up an item from your inventory and then drop it directly on the salesman. He'll ask if you want to sell it.

I figured out if you drop a stack of 100 lutefisk on the statue you'll get a magic item.

I've read that the number of lutefish needed to get an item can vary. Reports seem to indicate that it's somehow randomized. Not sure if more will get you higher quality items or not.

25 got me an item on floor1 or 2. But I've had not work when dropping 75 (had to go to 80) for other statues.

I haven't seen enough statues to know if more = better.

I found two lutefisk statues on lvl1 in one romp.

I found that recipe button, thanks for the heads up. In the meantime I've found selling all my crap is the way to, otherwise I feel like I need to keep going up a level to sell crap and if I don't sell everything that is more trips since my bag is mostly full with my hoarding. I suppose I could make a room on a cleared out level my 'home' and put crap in piles out on the floor somewhere.

Wow, just figured out Mycology (after, uh, looking it up). What an awesome skill! If you want to know how it works:

Spoiler:

Your mycology ability will generate spores. Drop spores onto corpses to plant them, and then harvest the mushroom that appears a few turns later. Mushrooms have a lot of interesting effects, from mini-health/mana pots to another that turns into throwing weapons when you eat it.

I'm rocking Mycology and Golemancy, which is nice in that it lets me constantly have a minion to tank for me. What's odd is that at first the game was letting me summon both my minions, but then switched to only letting me have one at a time. Also, Golemancy has a handy skill for dealing with monster zoos:

Spoiler:

The level 2 skill will build one square of wall (and do damage to any monster on it). So you can simply seal the room off. Of course, I suppose you can also just close the door, huh? I'll have to try that.

Edit: And another discovery:

Spoiler:

You can feed your pets! Great way to get rid of chintzy food.

Handy tip regarding the Lutefisk cube: You can move the window; if you move it out of the way (such as below the mini-map), you can leave it open, and easily drag stuff from the ground to the cube without slowing you down.

7inchsplit wrote:

Wow, just figured out Mycology (after, uh, looking it up). What an awesome skill! If you want to know how it works:

Spoiler:

Your mycology ability will generate spores. Drop spores onto corpses to plant them, and then harvest the mushroom that appears a few turns later. Mushrooms have a lot of interesting effects, from mini-health/mana pots to another that turns into throwing weapons when you eat it.

I'm rocking Mycology and Golemancy, which is nice in that it lets me constantly have a minion to tank for me. What's odd is that at first the game was letting me summon both my minions, but then switched to only letting me have one at a time. Also, Golemancy has a handy skill for dealing with monster zoos:

Spoiler:

The level 2 skill will build one square of wall (and do damage to any monster on it). So you can simply seal the room off. Of course, I suppose you can also just close the door, huh? I'll have to try that.

Edit: And another discovery:

Spoiler:

You can feed your pets! Great way to get rid of chintzy food.

I'm currently trying the same thing with the mushrooms and golems. Lots of fun so far (though I'm still on level 1). I love the spinning blade default skill from Golemancy, and still haven't found any skill better to start out with.

I didn't know that last bit about the pets, though. I'll have to try it.