Mirror's Edge 2

Pages

Is in production

The gaming publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS)’s senior vice president Patrick Soderlund said that they have not abandoned the parkour-inspired Mirror’s Edge franchise, and indicated that they are working to introduce an improved Mirror’s Edge 2.

Soderlund of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) said, “I loved Mirror’s Edge and what we did with Mirror’s Edge. We have not abandoned the franchise. And we are working on something, but I’m not willing to talk more about that”.

I am happy about this.

Awesome!

It is taking more restraint than I'd like to admit to stay away from the caps lock key.

Yay.

This news is most encouraging. I wish to express my support for this endeavor.

Sweet, Mirror's Edge was great. I don't see why it can't be as popular as the Portal games...

Please, let this be without guns or kinect support.

Yay! I recommended Mirror's Edge on Steam earlier this week, maybe that's what pushed it over the edge?

Excellent! One of my favorite games.

I hope they keep the clean style and the simple story presentation. I'd be a little disappointed if there weren't any story at all, and it just became a sandbox of challenges. I need a story, good or bad, to motivate me in most games for some reason.
And of course less guns.

What I'm more concerned about is EA's insistence on adding online/multiplayer to everything. Perhaps they can find a way to make it work (chase/tag/races) but I'm sure it will make me shake my head in disbelief when they reveal it. The other thing would be if it was made on DICE's Frostbite engine, and shoehorning in features like destruction for the sake of it, if it's no benefit to the game.

This is great news.

Excellent.

*ahem*

WOOO!

Huzzah!

I'm sorry, I don't take this as confirmation. Dice has been submitting builds to EA since the original game launched and EA shot them all down. The fact that he said that the series isn't dead in the water doesn't necessarily mean they've greenlit a project as of yet, it just means they're still open to it.

And they should be. Despite the fact the first game wasn't hugely successful, it wasn't a huge bust either, and the IP still draws attention.

That said, this is better than someone at EA saying it's dead, but at this point I'm not willing to trust them as 4th quarter earnings could mean whatever is in the works could get cut in lieu of something like BFBC3.

Sure... just like Beyond Good and Evil 2 is being worked on.

How much can you say any project is going to be released, before it's released? Anything can be cancelled up until the moment it's out in the hands of the great unwashed.

Yes please!

garion333 wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't take this as confirmation. Dice has been submitting builds to EA since the original game launched and EA shot them all down. The fact that he said that the series isn't dead in the water doesn't necessarily mean they've greenlit a project as of yet, it just means they're still open to it.

And they should be. Despite the fact the first game wasn't hugely successful, it wasn't a huge bust either, and the IP still draws attention.

That said, this is better than someone at EA saying it's dead, but at this point I'm not willing to trust them as 4th quarter earnings could mean whatever is in the works could get cut in lieu of something like BFBC3.

This.

Plus, they keep releasing mobile games. So that could be the "something".

But there were some Frostbite 2 tech demos that had Mirror's Edge looking colors. So there's hope. But I don't expect another ME game this console generation with all that DICE has going on.

I'll take two.

I want more Mirror's Edge (what is it exactly?) but I'll reserve any excitement or anticipation until there's concrete info, or heavy rumors to its announcement.

Surprised but pleased. Will be curious to see what they've learned about combat.

Scratched wrote:

What I'm more concerned about is EA's insistence on adding online/multiplayer to everything. Perhaps they can find a way to make it work (chase/tag/races) but I'm sure it will make me shake my head in disbelief when they reveal it. The other thing would be if it was made on DICE's Frostbite engine, and shoehorning in features like destruction for the sake of it, if it's no benefit to the game.

Multiplayer would have to be based around (chase/tag/races) otherwise I wouldn't even consider playing it. I'm sure a couple of gun pickups placed in the stages could be balanced, but they would have to be extremely scarce. I would even like to see something like hide and go seek in multiplayer.

I think it could be really cool to have some destruction in the game. It would likely have to be scripted destruction because you wouldn't want all of the ledges you are capable of reaching getting destroyed.

Just like everyone else in this thread I really do want to see another Mirror's Edge on a capable platform.

Update: Ben Cousins feels the need to tell us that ME2 is in production: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...

Ben Cousins[/url]]It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE

If this is true, put pre-orders up so I can show my support right now dammit!

Do want.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

If this is true, put pre-orders up so I can show my support right now dammit!

Yes. I don't preorder anymore but I would for a Mirrors Edge game.

Man it's been more than a year since there's been a hope that Mirrors Edge 2 is in production. I doubt that they would make the game a launch title for the next run of consoles but I think that would sell me a console right there.

SallyNasty wrote:

Please, let this be without guns or kinect support.

I hear they want to appeal to the more action crowd. Your partner is killed in action and you are dead set on revenge. There are boat chases, guns on motor cycles and helicopters crashing while they pass over you in slow-mo. The final scenes have you struggling to pull the helicopter blade from your stomach and once free, throwing it at your ex-partners head and killing him. This of course is after you find out he/she wasn't really dead and was behind everything all along, ENTICING!

Seriously though, I hope they don't appeal to the masses and stray from what made the first one so special.

The Conformist wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

Please, let this be without guns or kinect support.

I hear they want to appeal to the more action crowd. Your partner is killed in action and you are dead set on revenge. There are boat chases, guns on motor cycles and helicopters crashing while they pass over you in slow-mo. The final scenes have you struggling to pull the helicopter blade from your stomach and once free, throwing it at your ex-partners head and killing him. This of course is after you find out he/she wasn't really dead and was behind everything all along, ENTICING!

Seriously though, I hope they don't appeal to the masses and stray from what made the first one so special.

That's the thing. I guess I'm glad there's a game called Mirror's Edge 2 in production, which presumably is a sequel to ME, but I'm going to wait on the details before getting too excited.

I just hope there's more combat in ME2- that was my favorite part of the first game.

I hope there's more cut scenes. Those were awesome.

Pages