Hellgate Eternity

Does anyone play? If you played the original Hellgate London, apparently this is much of the same (Minus DX10). I never played it but have to say I am having a blast with the game so far. Long story short, T3fun released the game and Flagship, or whoever owned it, is no more. There are some bumps in the road and the servers are not as stable as they could be right now but the game still seems like a blast.

The way they have it is that Act 1 and 2 are free. It took me roughly 10 hours to get through but I'm quite a noob at Hellgate After that you need to buy a ticket to open up the rest of the game. The ticket is 4000 tcoins ($4) but you can only buy tcoins in multiples of $5. So yes, you will have some leftover to spend.

From what I've seen there are no "i win" items in the cash shop (yet). If you guys liked HG:L I'd say it's worth giving a shot to. If nothing else all you loose is some time downloading the game and maybe some frustration trying to login.

http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Home/Home....

Thanks! I had always wanted to try that game before they did their version of the Titanic. Downloading now. Gotta admit, I'm liking this free trend. I'm getting tons of gaming for nothing and I have yet to be tempted by any cash shops.

I tried it again and its still a piece of crap game

I never had the original experience so nothing to compare it to. I just hit lvl 17 and just started act 3. I'm liking the difference between this and other MMO's out there. So sick of the WoW type games. I keep going back to them and get so burned out (LoTRO, AoC, WoW, etc..). Maybe because this is new and shiny I'm having a good time. The game did just go down for an hour for maintenance and it's 11:30pm so that's kind of a bummer heh

Just played it for a couple hours. Wow... umm.. I had no idea the graphics were so... old looking. Even with everything fully maxed out it reminds me of Vampire: Redemption. You know, the PC game that came out before Bloodlines? It's bad. Though I still played for 2 hours. I only stopped once one rinky dink mission kept repeating itself over and over and I couldn't figure out how to get to the next stage of the story. That one mission just seemed to be on eternal loop rewarding me with a peg leg every time. And all the translation errors? I thought this was originally designed by an English speaking company. Am I remembering that wrong?

Kehema, you can do that quest over and over. Look for a purple exclamation point. There are more quests there to do besides that repeatable one. It was English but apparently, instead of using the English version, they used a translation from the Japanese (Asian? I forget) version of the game.

Kehama wrote:

Just played it for a couple hours. Wow... umm.. I had no idea the graphics were so... old looking. Even with everything fully maxed out it reminds me of Vampire: Redemption. You know, the PC game that came out before Bloodlines? It's bad. Though I still played for 2 hours. I only stopped once one rinky dink mission kept repeating itself over and over and I couldn't figure out how to get to the next stage of the story. That one mission just seemed to be on eternal loop rewarding me with a peg leg every time. And all the translation errors? I thought this was originally designed by an English speaking company. Am I remembering that wrong?

The graphics are definitely showing their age. I had hoped that this re-release would have done some tweaking in that regard. The quest text did have some issues. Like someone took the original American English, translated to Korean and then back to English. Anyhow, I loved the game back when it first came out but I am not feeling the love this time around.

Downloading - I really loved this game and was sad to see it go. However, I am a little nervous playing it now might ruin my memories especially since it looks dated...

Heretk wrote:

The quest text did have some issues. Like someone took the original American English, translated to Korean and then back to English.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what they did.

Been playing it extensively over the weekend. Also played the original.
I generally don't care about the graphics, it is ugly for sure, but graphics aren't exactly the point of these games.

The game has actually improved quite a bit (admittedly not a difficult feat to achieve), although it might not be easy to notice at first.
The skills has been improved, balanced etc, some are gone, some new have been added. In nearly all cases for the better.
There is more content, which was somewhat lacking originally. They got rid of weird separations of players of the original game (normal, elite and whatever).

Still, its the same game beneath, with all its flaws. Also the server is in a very bad shape, with roll backs, lag, endless disconnects and loading throughout the weekend.

As far as the item shop goes, they haven't added some of the more game-breaking stuff yet, but it looks like it will come later on: Like extra skill points and such.

It manages to fill the void for a little time, while waiting on Diablo/Torchlight/moreloot(tm) though.

I should have not installed -

Friends and I have been playing it where we can. It is alright, but I'm already feeling like a grind. Just kill stuff in different settings.

What I remember from HG:L is that the recoil from the sniper rifle would rock you either back and forth or side to side depending on what compass point you were facing. That always bugged me.

OKay, this one's growing on me. It's still not great but I think the setting alone is doing it for me. It's almost like my MMO Peggle. Just mindless fun, clicking a mouse with that Diablo style loot carrot. This is the kind of MMO I can listen to podcasts while playing. No stress.

I'm somewhere around level 10 and so far every mission has been a literal walk through the park. Start at the beginning of a level and walk to the other end killing everything in my way. I've never even had to use a health injector. I tried changing the difficulty to nightmare but I didn't notice a difference. I'm starting to think the only difference is that you can't ressurect someone but since I'm soloing that's not an issue anyway.

What I find myself doing is playing an hour or two of APB and if I've had a particularly bad run and have lost several matches in a row I'll just hop over to Hellgate to kill a hundred demons without taking a scratch to get my ego back up. Sometimes playing something without a challenge is just what the doctor ordered.

<.Shame>
I wonder if my Lifetime sub will carry over to this game as well.

<./shame>

Kehama wrote:

OKay, this one's growing on me. It's still not great but I think the setting alone is doing it for me. It's almost like my MMO Peggle. Just mindless fun, clicking a mouse with that Diablo style loot carrot. This is the kind of MMO I can listen to podcasts while playing. No stress.

I'm somewhere around level 10 and so far every mission has been a literal walk through the park. Start at the beginning of a level and walk to the other end killing everything in my way. I've never even had to use a health injector.

That will change.
Well, it will still be mindless killing/clicking, but once in a while you will be at the receiving end.

WiredAsylum wrote:

<.Shame>
I wonder if my Lifetime sub will carry over to this game as well.

<./shame>

Nope, the new company has none of the previous company's subscription info. I've read that they're looking into someway to do something, but it all came with a heavy disclaimer that it's pretty unlikely they'll be able to work anything out.

I can't really get into this. I keep playing it thinking it will grab me at some point...but it's not. Does it get better?

Not really. I think I'm starting to hit the limit myself.
Although that is mostly because of how bad it runs, with lag, freezes etc.

Some of the later areas gets a bit more interesting though, like zones where you have to reach a boss within a specific timeframe, or an 'endless' dungeon mode (don't know how far it goes), but it is still the same areas, the same enemies etc.
However, if you aren't too far in yet, the game will get quite a bit more difficult later on as well. Whether that is good or bad is a personal preference I guess.

Also because of the attribute system it hardly matters that you find new and better loot at higher levels, because often you wont be able to wear it anyway. Which kinda suck in a loot based game.

This weekend I just seemed to hit bug after bug. Three times the game would essentially lock up. I'd still be able to move around and fight but the enemies wouldn't take any damage and would just keep rubberbanding themselves back and forth between the same two points. Had to close out each time. Once I got stuck in a hell portal and it wouldn't let me warp back to the main dungeon even though I'd cleared the entire area. Another time, after about 45 minutes of clearing out a dungeon the game crashed when I tried to enter the portal to the next area of the dungeon.

And yeah, I'm at the point where I'm getting tons of cool loot but I can't equip any of it because I don't have enough of one stat. It's also become a bit of an inventory management mini-game and I've just started breaking down or selling almost everything I come across.

This talk about Eternity has me thinking I should reinstall the original hellgate with whatever final patch and community patches are available.

I enjoyed the gameplay, but got turned off by .. I dunno, maybe it was the baggage of the business model or possibly it was a hardware failure I had that wiped my save game. I dont really remember.

Irongut wrote:

This talk about Eternity has me thinking I should reinstall the original hellgate with whatever final patch and community patches are available.

I enjoyed the gameplay, but got turned off by .. I dunno, maybe it was the baggage of the business model or possibly it was a hardware failure I had that wiped my save game. I dont really remember.

I've felt the same urge. Wish I could do the same, but I bought from the EA Download Store. ARGGGGGG