2011 MLB Season Discussion

Donan wrote:

Took the series from the hottest team in baseball.

I don't remember Seattle playing the Twins last weekend.

8 straight hits to start the game and then the pitcher has to bat. Boo national league.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
Donan wrote:

Took the series from the hottest team in baseball.

I don't remember Seattle playing the Twins last weekend. :D

*Chuckle*

On another note, a VERY ugly lost to the Nats last night. Great job by Fister, but leave a 4 run lead at the end of the 8th to the bullpen is a no brainer usually with the Mariner bullpen. These guys I think a the mentality it was over and when they went in, not focused and blew it...BIG time.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

8 straight hits to start the game and then the pitcher has to bat. Boo national league.

Maybe if AL pitchers were real men, they wouldn't have someone else bat for them

Damn, the Lackey signing may be Theo's worst move in Boston..... Knee-Jerk to losing Teixeira - I thought is was a bad move then and it gets worse with every start. Jeeesus, he's overpaid for the turds he lays on the mound.

My wife's cousin struck out 11 in his first start after getting back from the DL in Atlanta's 5-1 win over the Blue Jays.

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base."
-Dave Barry

Man, yesterday's Houston vs. TB game was crazy! 34 hits total and 24 runs!

LA is under bankruptcy protection. I thought that only happened in the NHL.

MaxShrek wrote:

LA is under bankruptcy protection. I thought that only happened in the NHL.

The Texas Rangers just came out of bankruptcy at the start of last year, right? Bought by Nolan Ryan, et al.

So apparently people were going to the Dodgers website and making custom jerseys with the name Chapter and 11 as the number

That's awesome.

SwampYankee wrote:

Damn, the Lackey signing may be Theo's worst move in Boston..... Knee-Jerk to losing Teixeira - I thought is was a bad move then and it gets worse with every start. Jeeesus, he's overpaid for the turds he lays on the mound.

Yeah, Lackey's killing us. But what's really killing us is the flu that's wrecking everyone. Can't do much when you're interleague, playing away, and everyone's sick. Just ain't going to happen, no matter how awesome the laser show.

Lackey is a guy I have picked up and dropped for my fantasy team countless times over the years. But even I haven't touched him this season.

Nightmare wrote:
MaxShrek wrote:

LA is under bankruptcy protection. I thought that only happened in the NHL.

The Texas Rangers just came out of bankruptcy at the start of last year, right? Bought by Nolan Ryan, et al.

I wasn't aware of Texas. It's crazy that those teams are having financial troubles, yet Pittsburgh and Florida are making cash. I guess the only thing left to happen to show the economy is dead is for an NFL franchise to file.

Oddly enough after I rip Lackey he throws a great game AND drives in their only run. THAT Lackey I'd like to keep around.

Glad they didn't get swept by Philly at least.

Not worried about the Sox. Hell, it's only June.

Can someone please explain why the Phillies are playing in Canada on the fourth of July?

Edit: Canada Day? Bleh

Seemed a bit contrived....I'm sure he's aware of the camera. Not a bad thing... Just sayin'

That's a new twist...

Er...Jeter at shortstop for the AL league? Ugh, I hate All-Star selections. Just to be honest, I hate all the All-Star type games.

Worst thing they ever did was let fans vote.

SwampYankee wrote:

Worst thing they ever did was let fans vote.

As a Brewers fan, I couldn't disagree with you more

I thought this was an interesting look at how payroll affects performance in MLB.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/deltau922/statsofsummer.jpg)

Has anyone asked the painfully obvious question about Jose Bautista yet? I mean, i'm all for good stories and hard work, but prior to 2010, his career high was 16. He literally made a 40 HR jump from 2009 to 2010. I ain't sayin', i'm just sayin'.

Prederick wrote:

Has anyone asked the painfully obvious question about Jose Bautista yet? I mean, i'm all for good stories and hard work, but prior to 2010, his career high was 16. He literally made a 40 HR jump from 2009 to 2010. I ain't sayin', i'm just sayin'.

Thought crossed my mind. But then, right now I'm busy listening to Cardinal fans whisper HGH about Pujols because he came back from a fractured wrist in two weeks. I think folks don't realize that of the millions of fractures each year that take the full 4-6 weeks to heal, 99.999% do not make the money or carry te weight to allow for an office visit and x-ray at 2 weeks. Some folks heal quicker, but we never see it.

Of course, some fols are also calling Pujols "Wolverine" now. The guy comes back from injuries and plays through pain like no other ballplayer I have ever seen. One reason I won't be mad if the Cardinals fail to sign him for a ridiculous contract is that Pujols has had nagging injuries over most of his career. At some point they are going to take him down. But apparently not yet.

Jayhawker wrote:

I thought this was an interesting look at how payroll affects performance in MLB.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/deltau922/statsofsummer.jpg)

Who was the Boston fan complaining they shouldn't be mentioned in with the Yankees since Philadelphia is #2 in payroll in 2011?

Between 2001-2010 (10-year span), it was Yankees #1, Boston #2 seven times..............................the Mets were in the top 5 nine times (when Boston wasn't #2, the Mets were). And Philly cracked the top 5 only 3 times (barely, as they were #5 each time). In fact, from 2006-2008, they weren't even in the top 10 (they won the WS in '08) and they were #7 in '09 when they lost to the Yankees (who, of course, was the #1 team every year since 1999, and since 1995, were #1 all but 2 years, and yes, they were #2 the other 2 years). I also feel that the Phillies will cut a nice chunk of their payroll this off-season.

Granted, if you're in the Top 20 in payroll, you should be able to compete to make the playoffs, as opposed to teams with a lower payroll, but even they are making it. Since 2003, a team in the bottom 6 in payroll made the World Series 4 times (2003 Marlins- 6th lowest, 2007 Rockies- 6th lowest, 2008 Rays- 2nd lowest, 2010 Rangers- 4th lowest). Of course, only 1 of those teams won the whole thing, but they are still making it there, and beating teams with much higher payrolls to get there.

As a Red Sox fan, baseball CLEARLY needs a salary cap or enhanced revenue sharing. Baseball desperately needs the parity other professional sports that have caps have.

That, and cut the regular season down to make the first round of the playoffs best of 7.