2011 MLB Season Discussion

Ulairi wrote:

The Phillies may not get there before the Brewers. :)

Don't look now, 4-1 Diamondbacks.

*EDIT*
5-1 Diamondbacks

Kush15 wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

The Phillies may not get there before the Brewers. :)

Don't look now, 4-1 Diamondbacks.

*EDIT*
5-1 Diamondbacks

5-2 and it all came from the first inning. I'm not a Brewers guy, I'm an Athletics guy but if the Brewers get in, I get tickets.

Ulairi wrote:

How can people not find baseball romantic? I love the playoffs. I'm hoping both Detroit and St. Louis can come out strong and take out these two teams

I was talking about this tonight, about how what I love about the playoffs are the storylines that play out over the course of a week or so. The Phillies and cards series has just been a fantastic rollercoaster ride of emotion. David Freese had just been dropped in the order because he just wasn't having a great series so far. Tonight he hammers a two-run double to give the St. Louis the lead and a two-run homer to seal the deal.

Phishposer wrote:

You have got to be f*cking kidding me.

Yeah, that is a rough start.

Yeah, to be clear, that's heartfelt commentary on the Brewers game, and not on anything Ulairi said

The Brewers are killing me! They better get the job done here on Friday.

From Bernie Miklasz's column in the StL Post-dispatch:

There are home runs. This, however, was a HOME run. It was perhaps the most important homer hit by a St. Louis-raised player in a Cardinals uniform since Mike Shannon took New York Yankees legend Whitey Ford deep for a tying two-run homer in Game 1 of the 1964 World Series. The Cardinals went on to win Game 1, and the Series.

Freese drove in four of the Cardinals' five runs in Game 4 to back up excellent pitching turned in by starter Edwin Jackson and relievers Arthur Rhodes, Octavio Dotel, Fernando Salas, Marc Rzepczynski and Jason Motte.

When Freese was 13, his parents took him to the old Busch Stadium to see the Cardinals play the Atlanta Braves in the NL Championship Series. The Cardinals were down by three runs in Game 4 when Dimitri Young came off the bench in the seventh inning to smash a two-run triple that ignited a dramatic comeback. The Cardinals won 4-3.

"I'll never forget it," Freese said. "Fans were going crazy. We were walking out of the stadium, and hundreds of cars were honking horns. On the highway, people were yelling out of their car windows at each other, just celebrating."

Wednesday night, Freese gave thousands of St. Louis kids — and the adults — their own evening to remember. He upstaged another Lafayette grad, Phillies slugger Ryan Howard. It was the night of Freese's life.

ugh.. I dont think I can handle going out in the first round

Starting to regret the Phillies doing things the "right way" Not to disrespect the Brewers or the Diamondbacks.. all these teams are really close to each other in talent so its not like those series would have been gimmies either.

TheGameguru wrote:

ugh.. I dont think I can handle going out in the first round

Starting to regret the Phillies doing things the "right way" Not to disrespect the Brewers or the Diamondbacks.. all these teams are really close to each other in talent so its not like those series would have been gimmies either.

My fear really was that the Phillies woud decide they were better off losing than facing the hottest team in the NL. The Diamondbacks would have to be easier than the the way the Cards are playing right now.

But you still have Halladay at home to close it out, so the Phillies still have the edge. From his side, the Cards have already outperformed what anyone thought was possible just two months ago. I have to hope that Carp is going to look batter on full rest, and the the team will hit better after seeing Halladay once already.

Jayhawker wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

ugh.. I dont think I can handle going out in the first round

Starting to regret the Phillies doing things the "right way" Not to disrespect the Brewers or the Diamondbacks.. all these teams are really close to each other in talent so its not like those series would have been gimmies either.

My fear really was that the Phillies woud decide they were better off losing than facing the hottest team in the NL. The Diamondbacks would have to be easier than the the way the Cards are playing right now.

But you still have Halladay at home to close it out, so the Phillies still have the edge. From his side, the Cards have already outperformed what anyone thought was possible just two months ago. I have to hope that Carp is going to look batter on full rest, and the the team will hit better after seeing Halladay once already.

I would rather have my team play as hard as they could than lose on purpose to let another team in the playoffs. Usually, that backfires, IMO. It's been an exciting series thus far, and if the Phillies win, they will have earned it, beating a tough St. Louis team. If they lose, I can live with that too. My life doesn't change if they lose in the first round or win it all. That's why I don't get physical altercations at sporting events (IE, Brian Stow). In the end, we're the same person, win, lose, or draw.

Spoken like someone who isn't from Philly... lol

But true.

This fall is way too stressful. Watching the Yankees game and hoping the tigers pull t out.

Yankees are done! Let's go Brewers and Cardinals!

Ulairi wrote:

Yankees are done!

Le Tigre! Onward!

Ulairi wrote:

Yankees are done!

Aw phooey. 11 LOB and two bases loaded situations with one out where you only score thanks to a walk will not a win make. Congrats Detroit, although i'll be rooting for Texas in the ALCS (no hard feelings, i'm just a Ron Washington fanboy).

IMAGE(http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/10/340x_ronronjpg.jpg)

ENDLESS GIGGLES.

IMAGE(http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1575453029/416592439.jpg)

TheGameguru wrote:

Spoken like someone who isn't from Philly... lol

But true.

I didn't grow up in Philly, but I've been living 30 minutes from the city for the last 3 years. They definitely take sports VERY seriously around here. Some, a little too seriously.

*EDIT*
BTW, huge stat from the Yankees/Tigers series. Yankees outscored the Tigers 28-17. All that says is that it wasn't the fact that the Yankees didn't get big hits from their major players, they didn't get hits from their major players in the close games.

*EDIT 2*
I'm calling Albert Pujols is a Yankee next year. Just because they can. If so, I will find it very hard to be a baseball fan next year.

Speaking of which, this gave me a laugh

Yanks down, Phillies to come hopefully.

Go Brewers.

Kush15 wrote:

I'm calling Albert Pujols is a Yankee next year. Just because they can. If so, I will find it very hard to be a baseball fan next year.

I really don't see this happening. Pujols is a different kind of guy, and craves stability. I am nearly 100% certain he will sign with the Cardinals once his market value is established. When Polanco was traded Pujols made it clear that home town discounts would never be given. He wasn't bitter so much. It was the realization that he could give discount to team, only to see the reasons he craved staying, like good friends, disappear.

But St. Louis is a really good city for how Albert likes to live. While he has a sports bar, you really don't see much marketing for the guy. He keeps it pretty low key. He has some serious charities in town, and family in KC. In fact, I have an autographed hat when my sister-in-law worked out in the same gym as him in KC, where he spends a lot of time in the off-season. And he is fully aware that the Cardinals front office understands this, so he will use free aency to help set his value.

He has been adamant for years that he did not want to negotiate during any season. He gave the Cardinals a really high demand to sign last off-season. Once the market opens, I expect the Cardinals to match whatever he gets, to a point. I don't see him talking to the Yankees, to be honest.

My darkhorse for Pujols would be the Texas Rangers. They have a nice huge cable deal, and Pujols would be a perfect centerpiece. Nolan Ryan has really created a nice stable situation, and the team seems built to compete for years.

I should also say that I am not actually that stressed over it. I think the Cardinals can make a good case that he is too old for a long term contract that will see his production decline, possibly rapidly in a few years. I think a case can be made that Albert is worth more than his production, as he is a marketing bonanza. He will start to approach many milestones and he will become forever linked with Stan Musial as a couple of the greatst hitterin MLB history that happened to play their entire careers in St. Louis.

So I will give the Cardinals the benefit of the doubt whichever way they go. It's going to be a lot of money, and thye have better bean counters than me working on the pluses and minuses.

I just want to say that I have heard some wonderful rumors of Pujols to the Marlins. I know that this can never happen in the world in which I exist, but the thought nearly makes my heart burst with joy.

Psych wrote:

I just want to say that I have heard some wonderful rumors of Pujols to the Marlins. I know that this can never happen in the world in which I exist, but the thought nearly makes my heart burst with joy.

I've heard those, too. I know Pujols and Guillen are friends, so it is not impossible to think of as being possible.

But man, I doubt Pujols would enjoy the kind of clubhouse Guillen seems to run. I think La Russa and Pujols are a perfect fit. It's all business and no BS.

Torty wrote:

I asked Carp how he felt about facing his friend Halladay tonite. Carp replied: "Silly Torty, on the field there are no $%&#@$% friends."

Psych wrote:

I just want to say that I have heard some wonderful rumors of Pujols to the Marlins. I know that this can never happen in the world in which I exist, but the thought nearly makes my heart burst with joy.

It is about time for them to win the World Series and then sell everything off again.

BREWERS WIN! WALKOFF IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TENTH! I CAN'T CONTROL THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!

I just got home from Miller park. It was INSANE! Bring on the Cardinals win!!!

Loving the Phillies hate. Both pitchers looking really good, but Halladay made another early mistake. Phillies are running out of outs.

And the Phillies are done!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good game by the Cardinals, tough series. As a Phillies fan, that stings. Both pitchers pitched one hell of a game. Even Madson was brilliant tonight. One early mistake killed the Phillies.

Now it's time for the Cards to come up to Beer City and face the piper. This has been a great October for baseball, really exciting for both games tonight.